J/29 MH standing rig options

So replacing my standing rigging after completely redoing the entire hull, interior, and deck soft spots

Any recommendations on options? Just replace with simple 1/19 wire,  Coligio, the North stuff? No rating hits - so can go wherever, whatever?

Getting estimates now!

"If" I was to increase the rig height by 6" by simply placing a spacer under the base of the mast,  I would pay a 6 sec penalty, 3" = 3 sec. That assumes all sails were 3 or 6" taller.

The J/29 always had superb heavy weather, OK light to Medium skills, so looking to increase it's med-light abilities It isn't like there's really any one-design anymore in J/29s, esp in the PNW, where the only one design - is there is one of every design!  In Seattle there are couple MHs, a bunch of fracs, all are racing with different sized jibs/spins. There was one MH that had/has a 8" taller rig, when it was measured for MORC.  But their PHRF certificate says all stock now - ya sure you bet!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an Olson 30 at my club that has raised there mast 2".  It seems to really help them out in light air compared to the other Olsons and PHRF boats they race against.  They do not get a rating hit for it. I am not sure it is legal or not.   PHRF has not caught on yet so they do not have a penalty for it. In our local PHRF (Essex County PHRF) you are supposed to get 3 seconds for every 2% increase in mast height.   Would love to find out if there are others out there that have increased their mast height and their performance now compared to before. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 9:07 AM, Robertsail said:

There is an Olson 30 at my club that has raised there mast 2".  It seems to really help them out in light air compared to the other Olsons and PHRF boats they race against.  They do not get a rating hit for it. I am not sure it is legal or not.   PHRF has not caught on yet so they do not have a penalty for it. In our local PHRF (Essex County PHRF) you are supposed to get 3 seconds for every 2% increase in mast height.   Would love to find out if there are others out there that have increased their mast height and their performance now compared to before. 

2" isn't doing shit. They're just better sailors than the boats they sail against. 

On 9/22/2020 at 8:23 PM, alifish said:

So replacing my standing rigging after completely redoing the entire hull, interior, and deck soft spots

Any recommendations on options? Just replace with simple 1/19 wire,  Coligio, the North stuff? No rating hits - so can go wherever, whatever?

Getting estimates now!

"If" I was to increase the rig height by 6" by simply placing a spacer under the base of the mast,  I would pay a 6 sec penalty, 3" = 3 sec. That assumes all sails were 3 or 6" taller.

The J/29 always had superb heavy weather, OK light to Medium skills, so looking to increase it's med-light abilities It isn't like there's really any one-design anymore in J/29s, esp in the PNW, where the only one design - is there is one of every design!  In Seattle there are couple MHs, a bunch of fracs, all are racing with different sized jibs/spins. There was one MH that had/has a 8" taller rig, when it was measured for MORC.  But their PHRF certificate says all stock now - ya sure you bet!

Honestly, don't waste your time. The MH J29 is superb in 6/7 - 20 knots plus with stock rig dimensions. Its just in super light <5, that they can suffer a bit. Raising the rig, you will gain some SA, but you will also raise the rigs COG and thereby reduce righting moment. Not good for breezier days. You will never out sail your rating hit.   

What sailmaker are you using? The fastest east coast boats use Fries Sail Design sails. Their L/M #1 is a weapon from 0-10 knots true. You have to trim it correctly in super light conditions. Rig tune, and sail trim are critical to getting excellent performance out of it thought.......like most boats. Max headstay lenght, softer shroud tension, eased backstay and halyard tension are a must. In <5 we never trim the foot in closer than 3-4" off the shrouds and 6-8" off the top spreader. Traveler up with twist in the main. Always choose speed before point. As you gain speed, point will come. 

To answer your original question, go with compacted strand wire rigging(formerly dyform)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, Squalamax said:

Honestly, don't waste your time. The MH J29 is superb in 6/7 - 20 knots plus with stock rig dimensions. Its just in super light <5, that they can suffer a bit. Raising the rig, you will gain some SA, but you will also raise the rigs COG and thereby reduce righting moment. Not good for breezier days. You will never out sail your rating hit.   

What sailmaker are you using? The fastest east coast boats use Fries Sail Design sails. Their L/M #1 is a weapon from 0-10 knots true. You have to trim it correctly in super light conditions. Rig tune, and sail trim are critical to getting excellent performance out of it thought.......like most boats. Max headstay lenght, softer shroud tension, eased backstay and halyard tension are a must. In <5 we never trim the foot in closer than 3-4" off the shrouds and 6-8" off the top spreader. Traveler up with twist in the main. Always choose speed before point. As you gain speed, point will come. 

To answer your original question, go with compacted strand wire rigging(formerly dyform)

All great info, as long as he doesn't give you tips on starting you are all good