Chesapeake racing recovery

After what looked like a pretty bleak season with covid, Chesapeake racing season has really turned around in the last few months. AYC’s Solomons distance race this weekend has 57 entries, up 20 from last year. Scratch sheet: https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=11747

And the NASS race two weeks ago had nearly a 100, and the new Doublehanded next week has twice the entries from last year.  I’m missing all the post race the parties, but we have gotten in some good racing this year and drinking on the boat works too. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Salona said:

The Navy is rolling deep on this one, with five entries. 20 crew on that RP66!  Wonder where the Navy 44s are though, they only had one at the NASS race.

The crew for the 44s are on Zaraffa, Wahoo, Ranger, Zephyr, and Wasp, I imagine. I’m sure they would have raced Kodiak too if they had the crew.

I did the delivery back after gov cup on Zaraffa in around 2007-8. They need that crew. It took three of us just to get the #1 up on deck and hooked in.

13 hours ago, Alaris said:

The crew for the 44s are on Zaraffa, Wahoo, Ranger, Zephyr, and Wasp, I imagine. I’m sure they would have raced Kodiak too if they had the crew.

I did the delivery back after gov cup on Zaraffa in around 2007-8. They need that crew. It took three of us just to get the #1 up on deck and hooked in.

that boat is a beast. I'm not sure if they even commissioned the 44s this year. Operations for the offshore team were delayed a long time to spin that many boats for the abbreciated season. 

On 9/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, Starboard!! said:

After what looked like a pretty bleak season with covid, Chesapeake racing season has really turned around in the last few months. AYC’s Solomons distance race this weekend has 57 entries, up 20 from last year. Scratch sheet: https://yachtscoring.com/event_scratch_sheet.cfm?eID=11747

And the NASS race two weeks ago had nearly a 100, and the new Doublehanded next week has twice the entries from last year.  I’m missing all the post race the parties, but we have gotten in some good racing this year and drinking on the boat works too. 

And yet  only 33 entries for Screwpile!  New format does not seem to have attracted more boats for that event.  

On 9/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, voodoochile said:

And yet  only 33 entries for Screwpile!  New format does not seem to have attracted more boats for that event.  

Still a pandemic. Still a regatta where participants need to stay in hotels. No parties or social events. Not worth travelling to this year.

We were north bound in our power boat as the Solomons boats were racing south. Good mix of boats with reasonable air at that point anyway.

2 Navy 44's out playing off the Severn when we passed mid day.