Mindless movies

2 minutes ago, austin1972 said:
25 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Go foirre John Cussacke moovies, they cane be verrey rewardeng.........                   :)

Better Off Dead!

Oune Crazey Summere.............    w/Demi                                       :)

• Like 3

First some seconds:

Princess Bride - SImply the most quotable movie of all time

A Fish Called Wanda

Blues Brothers

Grosse Pointe Blank

And then some (just a few mind you) not yet mentioned:

Stripes

Animal House

Foul Play - Seems Like Old Times is another Hawn/Chase movie that is also funny, but not quite as good - And lacking the hilarious chase scene through SF.

Fletch

Bringing Up Baby - Grant/Hepburn was a better pairing than Grant/Tracy. Grant may have been the best all-time comedic actor.

His Girl Friday - Grant and Russell should have made more movies together

Arsenic and Old Lace - My all-time favorite comedy

Operation Petticoat

I Was a Male War Bride

Monkey Business - Cary Grant / Ginger Rogers / Marilyn Monroe version, though Marx bros version good too

Some Like it Hot

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum

The Producers - Original

Young Frankenstein

History of the World part I

Blazing Saddles - Mel Brooks movies are almost always hilarious, until the last couple of minutes. His endings are not great

This Is Spinal Tap

Groundhog Day

Dr. Strangelove

Life Of Brian

Monthy Python and the Holy Grail

Rocky Horror Picture Show

How to Murder Your Wife

Ok. I'll stop now. Some of these may actually be a little to mentally stimulating to qualify since if you blink you might miss the great dialogue, such as in His Girl Friday. But none are high art or anything.

22 hours ago, Latadjust said:

Since this is a question on a sailing based website, check out "The Wackiest Ship in the Army " with Jack Lemmon 

To amend, it has a classic somewhat racy schooner, references to the Transpac, a modicum of seamanship and the boat is actually sailing! Not whacky, poor title, plus the sailors are in the Navy.

"Dogma"...Alanis Morrisette as God, George Carlin as a bishop, Selma Hyak as an extremely hot muse and Jay and Silent Bob as prophets.  Throw in an Alan Rickman to give it art cred.....how could it be bad?

• Like 2
On 9/28/2020 at 8:30 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Watched Enola Holmes last night on Netflix. It is feminist, sort of comedy about Sherlock's younger sister. Very well done.

it was mildly entertaining ... 2.5 Snags

On 9/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, Hatin' life said:

Idiocracy

too much of a commentary on today's political climate LOL

Other's might say "take it to political anarchy", but it is pretty funny at times.. 

12 hours ago, Latadjust said:

To amend, it has a classic somewhat racy schooner, references to the Transpac, a modicum of seamanship and the boat is actually sailing! Not whacky, poor title, plus the sailors are in the Navy.

with regard to Whackiest Ship in the Army, I'd put that in a list with Father Goose, Operation Petticoat, Down Periscope, Biloxi Blues, I Was a Male War Bride,

the original "No Time for Sargents", Catch 22, MASH, Mr Roberts, Men Who Stare at Goats, 1941, McHales Navy et al

16 hours ago, bridhb said:

"Dogma"...Alanis Morrisette as God, George Carlin as a bishop, Selma Hyak as an extremely hot muse and Jay and Silent Bob as prophets.  Throw in an Alan Rickman to give it art cred.....how could it be bad?

Second on this. Wish I had thought of it. Throw in Ben Afleck and Matt Damon as a pair of demons. Mostly hilarious with only one scene really as an exception for me.

31 minutes ago, Rum Runner said:

Anything with Jackie Chan in it. 

Second this too. Legend of Druken Master is clasic. But he's always worth some time for some mindless action/comedy mixes. Inlcuding the outtakes where he (often) injures himself at some point. Think it was rumble in the bronx where he broke his foot at one point, and did a number of stunts with a heavy boot with a sneaker cut and taped to it to hide that.

A Simple Favor is a pretty dark comedy, but a good watch. Anna Kendrick is actually sexy! Blake Lively is nasty! Intricate twists and very atmospheric ambiance. Cool movie!

On 9/29/2020 at 12:29 PM, Bacchus66 said:

Second this too. Legend of Druken Master is clasic. But he's always worth some time for some mindless action/comedy mixes. Inlcuding the outtakes where he (often) injures himself at some point. Think it was rumble in the bronx where he broke his foot at one point, and did a number of stunts with a heavy boot with a sneaker cut and taped to it to hide that.

Jumping from a parking garage across an alley to a fire escape.  No big deal.  I think he actually had his cast painted to look like a sneaker.  

On 9/27/2020 at 2:12 AM, Merrill Levi said:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Almost got me kicked off a long haul flight I was laughing so hard...great mental floss

• Like 1

IMO, most current comedy's are "mindless". Even the new Bill and Ted movie should have transitioned the gap and I'm not sure if back then I had a different pallet for comedy or what but it never really captured me. Then again the classic comedy's were witty and cleaver. You had to pay attention to get the jokes. I can watch Ground Hog day over and over again and each time pickup something new. The current films, especially a Happy Madison production is just dumb. You can watch that and not get involved with it whatsoever. I'm not making the point those are good movies but rather the opposite. They are complete rubbish and the type cast actors are just going through the motions. What do they care, Netflix is going to pick up the next rubbish production anyways.....

What We Do in the Shadows

A very funny vampire mocumentary movie, with some of the gang from "Flight of the Conchords" (which was a great TV series).  I think Shadows became a TV series, but I haven't watched it.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, RImike said:

What do they care, Netflix is going to pick up the next rubbish production anyways.....

I think Adam Sandler/Happy Madison deal with Netflix was for 7 movies. 

I think his movies have gotten better over time as I can actually sit through one now... I can't stand Drew Barrymore for some reason. Her best movie was Poltergeist!

^ I was wrong...

Shit... I just watched his latest release of Happy Madison's 'Hubie Halloween'... time wasted!

It's like venture capital, it only takes a 1 in 10 success ratio to make the big picture profitable!