Phil's Foils/CCI

Here's the "bone" hole.  A crew gal in the back of the boat fell into the cockpit and wrapped her leg under or around the tiller, compound fracture.  It was a port/starboard, other boat tacked to clear and main trimmer failed to dump the main...breeze was in the high teens/low 20's.  The boat is (was) a pristine Farr/Dickerson 37

.119894904_2717427681910466_5742363720252672552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AHyxfGAN1GYAX9ucCuu&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=99d251948d8fc1aeaac57f2dcafa7648&oe=5F9616A5

2 hours ago, voodoochile said:

Here's the "bone" hole.  A crew gal in the back of the boat fell into the cockpit and wrapped her leg under or around the tiller, compound fracture.  It was a port/starboard, other boat tacked to clear and main trimmer failed to dump the main...breeze was in the high teens/low 20's.  The boat is (was) a pristine Farr/Dickerson 37

.119894904_2717427681910466_5742363720252672552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AHyxfGAN1GYAX9ucCuu&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=99d251948d8fc1aeaac57f2dcafa7648&oe=5F9616A5

Ouch. Please send our condolences to Mayo and his injured crew. 

7 minutes ago, steph2ma said:

Leroi-thanks for the leads on the rubber assembly. 

Bob-this is Mark from the Eluthera Race. The injured crew gal is my wife Melissa. 

Hope all are well.

Sail safe. 

Oh man, sorry to hear that. Hope all is well and that she is on the mend. 

On 9/27/2020 at 5:34 AM, voodoochile said:

Thanks guys.  My buddy Mayo needs some rudder work!  Got t-boned and the side force did this

120241280_2724245214562046_4004811638242915805_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=bvqw_DqXOkQAX9YNcJb&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=8dc2446be70a81ed7a11d068ad319af8&oe=5F9535E6

1 hour ago, SailRacer said:

Can you just bend the rudder shaft back? 

Sure, just re-install the rudder and T-bone the other side of the boat!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, steph2ma said:

Leroi-thanks for the leads on the rubber assembly. 

Bob-this is Mark from the Eluthera Race. The injured crew gal is my wife Melissa. 

Hope all are well.

Sail safe. 

Hey Mark.  Yea, I didn't want to use real names.  I sent her an email, may have had the wrong address.  Glad you're following the thread, there are several good rudder people and a shaft re-alignment may be a possibility.  We're all pulling for a speedy recovery.  

Hope the damage to your wife was less serious and quicker to fix than the rudder.

Any wife that will race on a boat with her husband is a keeper and should be cared for at all times.

Straightening is certainly a possibility, but it can (I'm told) also create stress points that might cause unexpected failure (read "sudden departure of the rudder from the boat") down the line. From that point of view, provided it's the insurance company paying, it might be worth insisting on new. It adds a few weeks to the process, but from the looks of things the rudder will likely be built and delivered before the boat itself is finished being repaired.

Ruddercraft in Idaho did good work for me when my rudder got bust up by one of the West Coast's notorious deadhead logs (the impact bent the shaft and spilt open the top of the blade).

https://ruddercraft.com

My instinct is insurance + Peter in Whitby for the hull + Phil and team in Ottawa for the rudder. Thoughts and best wishes to the injured as most important. This isn't a contact support. Take care out there please. 

13 hours ago, krikkitman said:

Straightening is certainly a possibility, but it can (I'm told) also create stress points that might cause unexpected failure (read "sudden departure of the rudder from the boat") down the line. From that point of view, provided it's the insurance company paying, it might be worth insisting on new.

I think there's already a stress point from the discontinuity in tube thicknesses which I would be concerned about - the tube should ideally be the same thickness throughout IMHO.

image.png.cbcb06ca449263b2070597c969310731.png

12 hours ago, rico said:

My instinct is insurance + Peter in Whitby for the hull + Phil and team in Ottawa for the rudder. Thoughts and best wishes to the injured as most important. This isn't a contact support. Take care out there please. 

Peter at custom yacht builder would be an awesome choice. 

A problem with straightening a bent shaft is that once bent, it has gone beyond elastic strain into plastic strain.  So work hardening. has taken place, which increases the yield stress but decreases ductility. 

In other words, you end up with a more brittle shaft once straightened.