Trying to get Ockam data to WIFI. So, have a NEMA trap which I connected to a Digital Yacht WLN10. Get nothing. Digital Yacht shows WIFI but the Data Light is off. Can see the WIFI on the computer. I am suspecting the NEMA trap is not working.

When should the NEMA Trap red light turn on?

How can I test to see if the Trap is putting out?

Check your baud rate on the WLN10 and make sure its set to 4800 baud. When I set up my Tacktick system, I thought I had everything set up correctly and everything had power but I was not logging any data. Once I changed the baud rate, it worked like a charm. BTW the default is 38400 baud, so this has to be changed from the browser dashboard of the WLN10

On 9/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, Northshore_Pirate said:

How can I test to see if the Trap is putting out?

There is a data log that can be accessed from the WLN10 browser dashboard. If it's receiving sentences from your instruments, you should be good to go.

18 hours ago, solosailor said:

What is a "trap"?   If you have a laptop and a Serial to USB adaptor you can see the NMEA string in a terminal program.

I think what they mean is they have a Ockam NMEA Tap which is an interface that connects to the Ockam system bus and outputs NMEA data to anything that you connect up to it.

I suspect either the baud rate needs to be adjusted as mentioned earlier or the NMEA Tap is not functioning properly.

We don't have a NMEA tap in our system so I'm just assuming the NMEA output is in the same format as the outputs from the RS-232 or GPS modules 

The problem may be that Ockam outputs NMEA sentences without a checksum. Without a checksum many devices will see the data as invalid and ignore it

I know the Quark-elec A032 will not work without the checksum. I've also tried using a Yakker and DMK box for WiFi. Those didn't work either

The Actisense NGW-1-ISO will work without the checksum. I used one of those to setup a NMEA 2000 backbone. Right now all we have on the N2K side is three Garmin displays at the mast, the AIS transponder, and the A032 for WiFi. There are better N2K WiFi gateways out there

I've found this cable to be very helpful for troubleshooting and programming various components:

USB-RS232 Converter Cable

The Actisense NMEA reader is free and works really well