Used up another of my Hot Foot 20s lives

Just finished a pleasant spinnaker run in about 12 knots.  Looked like we were about to get rained on. Decided to head for the Marina. We were a few minutes away when a huge storm front wind came roaring down the lake.  We were on a beam reach about 2 minutes  from the Marina when we got knocked down very hard.  The boat tried to turtle but stuck the mast in the mud. Myself and my one crew had been tossed into the lake. Luckily a power boat picked us out of the very cold water within 5 minutes. I thought at the very least my mast would be destroyed. The blast was over as quick as it came.  A fellow Sylvan Lake sailor came out with  a power boat and working together got my boat upright and secured to our towns earth pier.  After changing to warm clothes I came out and took over the bailing.  Bailed the boat out enough to  tow to the Marina.  1 day later boat ready to sail again. Missing my windex and there are still weeds stuck on my flicker.  Weeds will be my windex for the rest of the season.  

It pic boat on its side. 

2nd pic boats working together to get my boat to shore and secured. 

3rd pic.  Boat secured and being Bailed out. 

4th pic boat mostly Bailed and in Marina. 

5th pic weeds flying  from mast top 

6th pic me happy  that I had not lost my emergency pail shutter lid.  Lost some other stuff that floated away. 

IMG_4122.jpg

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4164.jpg

20200927_110859.jpg

20200927_110740.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

• Like 3

You Vancouver Island Sailors might Know my Hot Foot.  It's first name was AJ for Adrenaline Junky.  Don't know the original owner.  I am the 3rd or 4th of owner. Have owned several small keel boats Inc B25, Santana 23 and a 20, Capri 22. SJ 21. Also previously owned another Hot Foot named Gonzo.  Love planing at 10 plus on  the Hot Foot. The  Double Damed is still on my bucket list. 

55 minutes ago, JimB said:

You Vancouver Island Sailors might Know my Hot Foot.  It's first name was AJ for Adrenaline Junky.  Don't know the original owner.  I am the 3rd or 4th of owner. Have owned several small keel boats Inc B25, Santana 23 and a 20, Capri 22. SJ 21. Also previously owned another Hot Foot named Gonzo.  Love planing at 10 plus on  the Hot Foot. The  Double Damed is still on my bucket list. 

Would the Hotfoot benefit from some added flotation?

FB- Doug

1 hour ago, JimB said:

It was pretty much full of water but did not sink.  Has some built in flotation. 

Not sinking is good.

I was thinking more like, enough buoyancy and placed in such a way as to provide some stability and freeboard, have the boat habitable and manageable after such an episode. Might even make it self-rescuable, as long as the mast wasn't stuck too deep in the mud.

FB- Doug

Steam Flyer, the big problem here was I was forced to beam reach to make the Marina entrance channel. The gust that knocked me down was huge.  I have sailed this little boat upwind for miles with a reefed main in plus 20 with gusts over 30 with no problems.  Downwind in the big stuff is a blast. Once you are planing the loads get light and you just keep  going faster The faster you go the more stable the  boat feels. Just need to focus on boat balance especially through  a jibe.  Keep the boat flat and balanced upwind and down and the boat performs great in big breeze.  No need for more buoyancy etc. Beam reaching and with only one crew different story.  I had no choice, no Lake room to turn down, motor decided not to start to help me hold her nose into the wind if all else failed.  I was close to the Marina so I went for it.  I was only a couple  of minutes out when the monster gust hit me, bad thing when beam reaching and Light on rail meat. Turning down even briefly meant missing the Marina entrance with nowhere to go but aground. The bottom muddy in that area so I guess that would have  not been a bad outcome if I could  have slowed the boat enough to not rip the keel out. Anyway  it was a bit of a Freak situation that probably won't happen to  me again anytime soon. Famous last words. 

I should conclude by saying that the Hot Foot 20 is great bang for the buck for anyone who likes to plane.  I bot this boat with decent sails for $6000. I now have lost 2 windexs in 6 years and that is it for breakage. I keep it on a mooring ball so very little expense there.  Boat does not owe me anything now even if it gets destroyed someday. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, JimB said:

Steam Flyer, the big problem here was I was forced to beam reach to make the Marina entrance channel. The gust that knocked me down was huge.  I have sailed this little boat upwind for miles with a reefed main in plus 20 with gusts over 30 with no problems.  Downwind in the big stuff is a blast. Once you are planing the loads get light and you just keep  going faster The faster you go the more stable the  boat feels. Just need to focus on boat balance especially through  a jibe.  Keep the boat flat and balanced upwind and down and the boat performs great in big breeze.  No need for more buoyancy etc. Beam reaching and with only one crew different story.  I had no choice, no Lake room to turn down, motor decided not to start to help me hold her nose into the wind if all else failed.  I was close to the Marina so I went for it.  I was only a couple  of minutes out when the monster gust hit me, bad thing when beam reaching and Light on rail meat. Turning down even briefly meant missing the Marina entrance with nowhere to go but aground. The bottom muddy in that area so I guess that would have  not been a bad outcome if I could  have slowed the boat enough to not rip the keel out. Anyway  it was a bit of a Freak situation that probably won't happen to  me again anytime soon. Famous last words. 

No shame. Shit happens. It makes us stronger.

I included a picture of me being happy to have  not lost my emergency shitter lid that fits on a 3 or 5 gallon pail. Expected this to provoke a little jockularity. I am in my mid sixties and you know at this age somedays the only heads up you get to a fast approaching emergency is a couple of farts. 

IMG_2984.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JimB said:

I included a picture of me being happy to have  not lost my emergency shitter lid that fits on a 3 or 5 gallon pail. Expected this to provoke a little jockularity. I am in my mid sixties and you know at this age somedays the only heads up you get to a fast approaching emergency is a couple of farts. 

IMG_2984.jpg

I’m amazed you trust the farts!

On a real note, in hindsight, perhaps consider dumping the main next time and just use the jib. If you had a 3 up, you probably would’ve been fine. If it was a 1, partially furled would’ve been ugly sail shape and hard on the sail, but you said you only needed to beam reach. Not judging in any way, just tossing out ideas. 

Good advice. 

At the time of the knock down I was flogging  the  main.  Being Healed exposed a lot of free board as well.  The gust was huge.  Yes one more crew of decent size probably would have saved the day. I would  have had that person standing on the gunnell hanging off the shroud.  This person might have been able to quickly climb out on the keel as well. 

11 hours ago, JimB said:

IMG_2984.jpg

By that age you should know to never trust a fart.

4 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

I think so. But the '20s were known for that.

That particular event featured snowflakes as big as I've ever seen. Inside course was 20-30 in the bay and the outside course was a bit more.  I actually think it was a hotfoot 27 that got towed back upside down.

WL

1 hour ago, White Lightning2 said:

That particular event featured snowflakes as big as I've ever seen. Inside course was 20-30 in the bay and the outside course was a bit more.  I actually think it was a hotfoot 27 that got towed back upside down.

WL

Any idea which HF 27 that may have been?  I had Slick back before then and I had a silly spreader wash knockdown when an entirely foreseeable squall line hit while delivering the boat once.  Outboard screamed for about 10-15 seconds but the boat popped right back up.  I only had the main up at the time - so doubly silly.  In my defense, I had only bought the boat a week or so earlier and it was my first experience with a lightweight frac and how much torque the main can generate.  

On 9/27/2020 at 9:39 PM, JimB said:

IMG_4122.jpg

Back in 1979 Scot (ED), Deke and I did that in an O`Day 19 in the POW. Just ask the Ed, I'm sure he has memories of climbing out on the keel while I has hanging from the lifelines on the foredeck.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:03 PM, SloopJonB said:

A weed Windex is a very special piece of gear. Actually that really qualifies for the Old Skool Gear thread.

Glad it worked out.

Weed common used to determine direction, particularly in the moore 24 class.

On 10/10/2020 at 1:32 PM, SloopJonB said:

Exactly - I can't believe how few people close up in sporty conditions.

Yes please!   It ceases to amaze me how often people forget that filling the inside of the boat with water impacts buoyancy.   

On 9/30/2020 at 10:59 AM, Monkey said:

On a real note, in hindsight, perhaps consider dumping the main next time and just use the jib. If you had a 3 up, you probably would’ve been fine. If it was a 1, partially furled would’ve been ugly sail shape and hard on the sail, but you said you only needed to beam reach. Not judging in any way, just tossing out ideas. 

We got caught out in the U20 in a similar situation, somehow managed to get the main down (ok, it tore a bit) and planed downwind to safety.  Planing under jib alone!  Wheeee!

On little fat boats, I drop or furl the jib first. Unless you are going downwind, maneuvering with just the jib is difficult at best. Next step is reef, if your main supports it, then downwind under bare poles.

If I had any Lake Room I would have turned down  and would have went for a speed record. Problem wasthe lee shore was not far with lots of rocks in that area. My best option was to beam reach into the Marina.  Almost made it. And yes I had forgot to lock the hatch when we started out.  Was not thinking about it as the wind was light at that time. A locked hatch would  have made for a quick recovery,  less bailing and I would not have lost any gear. Won't forget  to lock the hatch again even when the wind is light.  Just something you need to do on a boat of this nature.  If you  check sail data you will see the Hot Foot 20 is reasonably powered up. My wife says too much for a 67 yr old but I will not bother owning any Sailboat that will not plane. Rather just go fishing than sail around a piggy. 

Dried out and ready for winter storage. Only damage lost windex. Not a bad outcome.  Thinking about  the  Double Damed for next year.  Don't think any Canadians have done the Double  Damed yet. Will hit the pool 3 x per week all winter to be in top shape in case my little boat breaks apart and crew has to swim for shore. Not sure  the old girl could take 40 miles of wave jumping if it was a big wind race. 

20200929_104356.jpg

• Like 1