Flying Dutchman Fix Up II - the sequel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Randy

Here is your boat, FD KZ100, on its way to winning the National Champs in Timaru, January 1985.  I'm out on the wire and Milton Pope is driving. 

It was a crazy time of my life; I was 17, had just finished school, and got the crewing gig as a result of my local skipper, Mike Middleton, asking lots of questions of Milton (as class secretary) about the setup of our FD - Flying Circus.  As part of that Milton asked if I was up to crew in the nationals (Flying Circus was being rebuilt).  Being too young and stupid to doubt myself (I had sailed/crewed for years, but not much on an FD), I got a bus from Oamaru to Nelson (10 hours) and had a weeks practice with this cantankerous old fart and then hit the nationals.  By then I had worked out how to "swipe up" the trapeze without getting yelled at and we actually were getting along pretty well.  Milton turned out to be a bloody top bloke and we went undefeated though the week.  The only thing I cared about was getting second on handicap as the prize was new wetsuits (the arse was hanging out of my one)  Which we did. At the time it was the most modern and cutting edge boat at the nationals, but I'd like to think it was a little bit of skill that got us the chocolates.

I still have a small copy of the Rothmans trophy on my desk.  After the nationals, Milton was shocked that I didn't drop everything and get a job to earn money and go to the worlds (in Italy from memory) but I was off to university and all that that brought.  Apart from a couple of notes, I never caught up with Milton again.    I haven't sailed in years, but seeing KZ100 being rebuilt is bloody awesome.  

Cheers

Andrew

MetroExpress.jpg

• Like 14
2 hours ago, onceaFDsailor said:

Randy

Here is your boat, FD KZ100, on its way to winning the National Champs in Timaru, January 1985.  I'm out on the wire and Milton Pope is driving. 

It was a crazy time of my life; I was 17, had just finished school, and got the crewing gig as a result of my local skipper, Mike Middleton, asking lots of questions of Milton (as class secretary) about the setup of our FD - Flying Circus.  As part of that Milton asked if I was up to crew in the nationals (Flying Circus was being rebuilt).  Being too young and stupid to doubt myself (I had sailed/crewed for years, but not much on an FD), I got a bus from Oamaru to Nelson (10 hours) and had a weeks practice with this cantankerous old fart and then hit the nationals.  By then I had worked out how to "swipe up" the trapeze without getting yelled at and we actually were getting along pretty well.  Milton turned out to be a bloody top bloke and we went undefeated though the week.  The only thing I cared about was getting second on handicap as the prize was new wetsuits (the arse was hanging out of my one)  Which we did. At the time it was the most modern and cutting edge boat at the nationals, but I'd like to think it was a little bit of skill that got us the chocolates.

I still have a small copy of the Rothmans trophy on my desk.  After the nationals, Milton was shocked that I didn't drop everything and get a job to earn money and go to the worlds (in Italy from memory) but I was off to university and all that that brought.  Apart from a couple of notes, I never caught up with Milton again.    I haven't sailed in years, but seeing KZ100 being rebuilt is bloody awesome.  

Cheers

Andrew

MetroExpress.jpg

Bravo...excellent first post!

• Like 1

OnceaFDsailor - thank you so much for that, l have scoured the internet for kz100’s history with little success.

like most projects the later stages have become a bit of a grind and this has really boosted my enthusiasm to get her finished and on the water again.C2BFACBD-5C69-4295-AA83-DCE6DBB43E82.thumb.jpeg.9f04cfa3b19a9c4d9f6d60405cf09995.jpeg

• Like 1

Randy

Another memory of FD100 was that the original foredeck was bloody thin - I think it was largely mylar - you definitely couldn't stand on it!!  Milton was a stickler for weight.  Before the light wind races he even had me rubbing sunlight liquid over the hull - much to the amusement of the locals.   The only weight he tolerated was on the trapeze - in the photo it's hard to see, but I had 3 woollen jerseys on as well as an old army blanket turned into a poncho.  At the 5 minute gun I would jump overboard and saturate everything - increase my weight by 20kgs  (I remember the year previous Russell Coutts almost missed out on an Olympic medal due to the weight of his clothing !)  I had to have my trapeze harness so tight I couldn't stand up straight - but once underway, it took most of the stress (although I am sure it contributed to my back problems later in life).  

Anyway - great progress photos.  Keep at it.

Andrew

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I haven't read every post here, just scanned for weight-related words. The only reference I've found on the internet to the weight of a Flying Dutchmen (minus crew) was (I think) in respect of the hull alone, at 130kg, around 285lbs.

Is that the hull minus foils? Minus rig? Or complete except for something like sails?

I'd like to know how heavy such a big dinghy is, in the real world - especially many decades after it was first racing.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Even Stranger said:

Sorry, I haven't read every post here, just scanned for weight-related words. The only reference I've found on the internet to the weight of a Flying Dutchmen (minus crew) was (I think) in respect of the hull alone, at 130kg, around 285lbs.

Is that the hull minus foils? Minus rig? Or complete except for something like sails?

I'd like to know how heavy such a big dinghy is, in the real world - especially many decades after it was first racing.

Thanks!

Personally I'd look in the class rules. Assume a link on the class website but I've not tried to look.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

That is coming along incredibly well!  I think the lower, glassed supports make sense and thanks for taking the time to show them.  Gives me hope and inspiration on my own projects to see you moving on this amazing dutchman.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...