Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

Well this must be the longest inactivity for quite a while here.

Is getting round a mega low worse than getting round or through a big high?

Seems so. 

Most interesting bit of the race so far, IMHO, by quite a long way. 

Well I made a mistake and went south early not realizing the game punishes boats in high wind very heavily. Down to 13kn at some stages. I will loose around 100nm to the leaders I would think. Mind you in real sailing you would never sail into a storm like that so fair enough I guess. The northern group have nailed it as long as they can get back to the ice line.

2 hours ago, stief said:

Conrad Humphreys chats to e-sailing offshore winner Matt Johnston Vendée Globe Day 38

Matt's a good guy.  When I was #1 and he was #2, he went to Houston for a two week work thing.  I had a big regatta during the middle weekend of his trip.  He drove 3+ hours each way to visit my yacht club and hang out.  Our races that day were cancelled due to too much wind.  After a couple beers, Matt and I took my Flying Scot out in 20-25.  Had a great time planing around the lake.  I asked him if he wanted to fly spin, and his answer was "it's your boat", so we did.  Went very fast, until we turned it over in full view of the fleet back on the dock.  Very memorable day.  (Nicky761 was #3 at the time and lives in Dallas, so he also joined us.  It was kinda surreal since these relationships are normally virtual).

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

It was kinda surreal since these relationships are normally virtual).

When you've "known" each other virtually for quite a while, the intersection of meatspace and cyberspace is always interesting. You develop a picture in your head of the other person, and based on that - they never quite look the way you thought they would.

Of course, you probably don't look like what they thought you would look like, either. :)

Cool story, Ma.

Hello,

Sorry for the lateness of this ranking.  I got dragged into a meeting as soon as I stepped into the building, I wasn't waiting until I was in first place......honest!

Well, we are still in the grips of this large low.  The guys down south have been hammered (much to their surprise in spite of repeated warnings up thread).  The northerners have gone further, but faster.  The wind speeds should be dropping now and soon we will be back to max boat speed.  

Here are the rankings, in relative haste.

17-Dec      
03:15UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 10333.1
2 Gufmiester BigBalls 1.12
3 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 2.71
4 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3.42
5 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 10.3
6 MasterRobin MasterRobin 10.9
7 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 11.7
8 F15 AUS AUS3572 13.6
9 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 15.9
10 kea.nn kea.nn SA 17.3
11 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 19.2
12 Iced Tea rule69 21
13 CordRipper RumHam 24
14 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 24
15 bushsailor rushour 25.5
16 Raz'r SVKahoots 25.6
17 daan62 hutspot77 25.8
18 Your Mom Your Mom SA 26.7
19 TocToc Vuvuzela 27.8
20 Will Lee Lorraine III 28.5
21 viper43 viper64043 40.1
22 12345 Siafu 43.5
23 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 44.7
24 arr4ws Arr4ws 44.9
25 yeahbuoy Cool J 47.2
26 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 47.2
27 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 48.5
28 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 49.2
29 sailon2 jahmbo SA 70.9
30 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 75.3
31 SteveJH Stephen_1987 85
32 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 101.9
33 gavinbpk PGB 146.5
34 Mike G MikeVentura 209.4
35 Flaming Flaming 282.2
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1249
37 Headntac Ryoochi 1290
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 1376
39 Wattie MuritaiWatt 2366
40 MobyBick MobyBick 2726
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3306
42 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3426
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 3446
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3484
45 mad Sticky 3494
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3634
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3777
48 Vin Divided Sky 4093
49 klymen klymen 4691
50 gary Hschutz 4836
51 CapnK KR deCap 4839
52 Mid SA_Mid 5420
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Matt's a good guy.  When I was #1 and he was #2, he went to Houston for a two week work thing.  I had a big regatta during the middle weekend of his trip.  He drove 3+ hours each way to visit my yacht club and hang out.  Our races that day were cancelled due to too much wind.  After a couple beers, Matt and I took my Flying Scot out in 20-25.  Had a great time planing around the lake.  I asked him if he wanted to fly spin, and his answer was "it's your boat", so we did.  Went very fast, until we turned it over in full view of the fleet back on the dock.  Very memorable day.  (Nicky761 was #3 at the time and lives in Dallas, so he also joined us.  It was kinda surreal since these relationships are normally virtual).

What is Mats boats name?

5 minutes ago, Gybe Turkey said:

So the cancel culture got upset about Matt's boat name and convinced him to change it? Fuck'em bring back the Mangina!!!  

probably some whiny seppo

1 hour ago, Gybe Turkey said:

So the cancel culture got upset about Matt's boat name and convinced him to change it? Fuck'em bring back the Mangina!!!  

A big difference between this year's virtual edition and 2016's is that there's a news article being written almost daily and published on the actual Vendee site, about the progress of the virtual fleet.  My understanding is that they figured they'd refer to the 2016 winner's boat in those articles occasionally, so they asked him to change his name to something milder. So he decided to just rename himself MattJohnson.

I told him if they ask me to rename my boat, I'll rename it to "Eventual winner" or "Anticipated winner" or something along those lines... 

• Like 4

Good morning,

Many of the leaders have now got less than 10,000Nm to the finish.  There is about 6 days to the Horn and the decision of whether to go to Point Nemo in a grab for the goodies is coming up in about 36 hrs.  I will not be diverting, although it does not look as though it will have a big cost.  

The leaders seem to be split, I made a dive for the ice limit and a shorter route with slightly higher wind speeds, while the more sensible amongst us stayed higher to keep a better angle for longer.  

I notice that Big Balls has been gently chewing away at the deficit that he unexpectedly incurred in the S Atlantic when he went too far west. He is now back in the front rank and is unlikely to make such a mistake again.  He and shockwave are heading up the group in the middle, while Mom and Gybe Turkey are leading the northern gang.

The happy threesome in the middle have been indulging in a deluge of gybes along the edge of the icebergs with m2for currently leading, Ryoochi in the middle and Chi bringing up the rear.

Further back HSchultz and Divided Sky seem to have developed a yearning to visit Perth, well worth a stroll along the Swan River.  One of the best examples of public space by the water that I have seen anywhere in the world.........but they do have an awful lot of space to play with.

No rankings over the weekend.  Enjoy whatever you are up to.

18-Dec      
00:30UTC      
1 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 9874.17
2 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 16.2
3 Gufmiester BigBalls 18.6
4 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 18.9
5 F15 AUS AUS3572 20.7
6 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 23.1
7 MasterRobin MasterRobin 23.8
8 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 30.9
9 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 33.4
10 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 35.9
11 kea.nn kea.nn SA 39
12 Your Mom Your Mom SA 39.2
13 Raz'r SVKahoots 39.3
14 Will Lee Lorraine III 39.3
15 Iced Tea rule69 39.4
16 daan62 hutspot77 39.6
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 52.1
18 12345 Siafu 52.5
19 viper43 viper64043 52.8
20 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 54.3
21 yeahbuoy Cool J 60.2
22 bushsailor rushour 60.3
23 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 61.6
24 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 62.1
25 CordRipper RumHam 63.6
26 TocToc Vuvuzela 64.6
27 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 64.9
28 arr4ws Arr4ws 94.7
29 sailon2 jahmbo SA 105
30 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 111.4
31 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 120.3
32 SteveJH Stephen_1987 129.7
33 gavinbpk PGB 197.4
34 Mike G MikeVentura 283.4
35 Flaming Flaming 285.2
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1432
37 Headntac Ryoochi 1489
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 1574
39 Wattie MuritaiWatt 2510
40 MobyBick MobyBick 2810
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3452
42 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3557
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 3599
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3621
45 mad Sticky 3662
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3801
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 4006
48 Vin Divided Sky 4536
49 klymen klymen 4749
50 CapnK KR deCap 4895
51 gary Hschutz 5182
52 Mid SA_Mid 5606

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

My understanding is that they figured they'd refer to the 2016 winner's boat in those articles occasionally, so they asked him to change his name to something milder.

Should have changed his name to GrosJohnson.

That’s a good question? My chances are not height either of way placing in the top 10000 or restarting a Nemo race . In the old races a second boat for flyers made sense. Should or could of had one this race for Nemo. But the big dogs grabbing a ring (watch) on this Marry-go-Round ride makes a lot of sense. A lot of been there done that up there in the hi pace boys. A prize money race could be a blast for any of them, could even turn into a match race ....

Zezo says only a  5 hour + - more to hit the Nemo offset from the leaders to the Horn... what’s 100 more miles in this race. Nothing really...

2 hours ago, Flaming said:

Nemo point is looking like it won't cost me all that much overall now.  What does it look like for those up front?

I am in the top 10k, and it looks tantalising close to make a break for it soon. It depends how North you are in the @10k pack already. Anyone South, like me, by the iceline, probably doesnt stand a chance. 

42 minutes ago, ttc546 said:

I am in the top 10k, and it looks tantalising close to make a break for it soon. It depends how North you are in the @10k pack already. Anyone South, like me, by the iceline, probably doesnt stand a chance. 

Do not see you on the list what’s your boats name?

58 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Do not see you on the list what’s your boats name?

I am not on the list here. My boat name is ChrisAero2542.  I have just dropped 2k places as just crossed the ice line accidentally whilst busy on a phone call - Doh!!

For Nemo Challenge all will depend how many of the 4000-5000 in the lead pack will go for it. Since to win it you have to be the first to reach Les Sables of those who went there as far as i understand it. Pretty slim changes if you are not in the absolute front pack in my opinion.

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Is it a question of how far in or how long in when the penalty comes on. 

You have to physically go over the red line. Railroad sleepers on our side of the red line are still good, just playing with fire if you're on a TWA heading. 

On 12/18/2020 at 2:27 AM, PB2207 said:

Should have changed his name to GrosJohnson.

And by the looks of things he’s off to Nemo. I would be too if I was in the lead pack. Winds look favourable and a chance at an unnecessarily expensive watch. What’s to lose?! 

13 hours ago, PB2207 said:

You have to physically go over the red line. Railroad sleepers on our side of the red line are still good, just playing with fire if you're on a TWA heading. 

And it can happen to anyone. I saw Mom doing 3.1kts at the red line for a brief period of time last night.

1 hour ago, Gybe Turkey said:
14 hours ago, PB2207 said:

And it can happen to anyone. I saw Mom doing 3.1kts at the red line for a brief period of time last night.

What's happening here??

image.thumb.png.d8f578a0de6d7d5fbf0fcee64d68abc8.png

5 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I have no idea why, but I've lost about 15k places in a couple of hours...

Same for me. Are you also at ~130°E? I think people behind us are going further south, so they are closer to cape horn, as the direct route would be basically across the south pole.

3 hours ago, Gybe Turkey said:

Whoops.  I hadn't even noticed.  Looks like my third bounce crossed for a couple minutes.  I think that was the first approach after I went to sleep.  I set the second one with a wider margin.

saddest part was when looking back in the data... when going the wrong way, even when over the limit, i was going normal speed... when going back i was slowed... i felt a bit fucked or maybe raped is more appropriate...

Seems the point nemo circle was a little further than it showed by a few miles on mobile/tablet compared to PC (at least according to the pissed off Frenchies on VRs online board). Looks like Matt Johnson was one of the few leaders that went to the actual circle shown. Protest !/s.

Screenshot_20201220-083515.png

49 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

Seems the point nemo circle was a little further than it showed by a few miles on mobile/tablet compared to PC (at least according to the pissed off Frenchies on VRs online board). Looks like Matt Johnson was one of the few leaders that went to the actual circle shown. Protest !/s.

Surprise, surprise. LOL. VR at its usual best. Hope none of our guys was affected.

1 hour ago, daan62 said:

saddest part was when looking back in the data... when going the wrong way, even when over the limit, i was going normal speed... when going back i was slowed... i felt a bit fucked or maybe raped is more appropriate...

Yesterday I did it too and feel the same after the time and effort to get this far 

• Like 1

@mom The South Atlantic looks like a mine field of hi pressure holes. Seems like turn left fast miss the Falklands and get North fast! Do you have any thoughts as a Big Dog Running faster than most of us on getting North fast?

2 hours ago, Marty6 said:

Surprise, surprise. LOL. VR at its usual best. Hope none of our guys was affected.

Wondered about that, used the app and went to the circle, noticed that a lot of the French boats Gybed earlier than me. Pretty sure I went all the way (set a waypoint) but either way a protest! (Boats behind me on the way to the circle are now ahead on the way back)

I use both a PC and the app on my phone. I am not sure how anyone expects a 6" phone screen to be more accurate than a 20" monitor..even they are both at 1080 lines of resuolution or higher. I just don't think you can get enough detail on a phone.

1 hour ago, Mudsailor said:

Wondered about that, used the app and went to the circle, noticed that a lot of the French boats Gybed earlier than me. Pretty sure I went all the way (set a waypoint) but either way a protest! (Boats behind me on the way to the circle are now ahead on the way back)

You should be able to see in the Nemo rankings if you went far enough. But yeah, again a major FU.

41 minutes ago, WetHog said:

Holy crap it was a mistake to join the Tara Ocean race.  That boat is a 2 knt brick with sails.

But the ride in 3D is much smoother :)

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

I use both a PC and the app on my phone. I am not sure how anyone expects a 6" phone screen to be more accurate than a 20" monitor..even they are both at 1080 lines of resuolution or higher. I just don't think you can get enough detail on a phone.

True, but the issue was with the PC, apps were right and I was able to zoom in enough and place a waypoint OK (the original phone app was junk......I remember trying to get through the staits of Gibraltar and the boat icon was larger than the channel!)  Much improved since then.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mudsailor said:

True, but the issue was with the PC, apps were right and I was able to zoom in enough and place a waypoint OK (the original phone app was junk......I remember trying to get through the staits of Gibraltar and the boat icon was larger than the channel!)  Much improved since then.

Agreed. Remember how bad this game was 10 years ago!!\???

Good morning,

Quite a lot has changed since my last update.  Least notably, my early dive for the ice limit line and glory was inevitably short lived and I've now ended up mid pack, which is a good result looking back at the weekend I've just had.  The least surprising news is that Your Mom is back on top - again.  There were fewer than expected takers for the Point Nemo goodies - I think that Mudsailor and rushour were the only takers from our group.  PGB seemed to think about it, but then decided he had missed and regular service was resumed.  

Flaming has gained several spots and is no longer the last man in the front posse.  The mid pack players have spread out and now seem to be complying with social distancing rules, when compared to their previous behaviour.

Hschutz is now carrying out low speed balletics in the centre of a high pressure area half way between Cape Town and Perth and has consequently wrestled last place overall away from Mid.

In the mean time, the leaders will be rounding Cape Horn in about 3 days and then face the rather giddy prospect of not being constrained by the ice limit.  Advice was asked for on tactics for the S Atlantic - it is easy, be on the correct side of the weather systems, stay in the wind and DON'T RUN AGROUND!  Simple.

21-Dec      
01:30UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 8578.96
2 Gufmiester BigBalls 3.82
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 9.38
4 Will Lee Lorraine III 10.6
5 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 18.4
6 daan62 hutspot77 20.2
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 22.1
8 viper43 viper64043 22.2
9 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 22.5
10 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 27.4
11 12345 Siafu 31.2
12 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 34.5
13 Iced Tea rule69 38.1
14 kea.nn kea.nn SA 38.2
15 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 46.9
16 Raz'r SVKahoots 47
17 yeahbuoy Cool J 49.8
18 F15 AUS AUS3572 51.4
19 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 57
20 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 58.1
21 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 59.5
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 69.5
23 TocToc Vuvuzela 82.3
24 sailon2 jahmbo SA 95.4
25 MasterRobin MasterRobin 96.6
26 SteveJH Stephen_1987 126.5
27 CordRipper RumHam 126.9
28 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 164.2
29 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 170
30 arr4ws Arr4ws 178.3
31 bushsailor rushour 224
32 Flaming Flaming 257.2
33 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 268.2
34 Mike G MikeVentura 284.2
35 gavinbpk PGB 387.5
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1459
37 Headntac Ryoochi 1831
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 2025
39 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3034
40 MobyBick MobyBick 3146
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3351
42 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3591
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 3607
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3750
45 mad Sticky 3799
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3928
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 4068
48 klymen klymen 4860
49 CapnK KR deCap 5001
50 Vin Divided Sky 5422
51 Mid SA_Mid 6044
52 gary Hschutz 6478
  • Like 4
On 12/18/2020 at 2:02 PM, ttc546 said:

I am not on the list here. My boat name is ChrisAero2542.  I have just dropped 2k places as just crossed the ice line accidentally whilst busy on a phone call - Doh!!

@rat this guy is not on the list he’s a newbie be kind and list him on the race place list please.

• Like 2

Dang, got lazy and took the hitch north an hour early, which looks to have cost me an hour. But only 3 places on the SA leaderboard (although 3000 on the bigger playing field. Ouch)

Same .had to stay in pressure and went North of rhumb..for a day or two.. PB2207 has stayed low and survived...lesson learnt..now I have to get south again..."sailing all over the ocean..".

Sounds like a good name for a song.

• Like 1

The weather systems seem more squirrely this year than as I recall from the past.  I was expecting a more steady train of cold lows tracking along from COGH to CH. The systems are breaking down, inverting, and causing all sorts of shit to my routing schedule.  It's probably COVID-related too.  Fuck fuck fuck

22 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:
23 hours ago, WetHog said:

Holy crap it was a mistake to join the Tara Ocean race.  That boat is a 2 knt brick with sails.

WetHog  :ph34r:

LOL...no shit. I have kinda given up on that one. 

Didn't think it looked like fun, glad i gave it a miss. 

10 hours ago, Headntac said:

PB2207 has stayed low and survived.

Unfortunately I think my luck's going to run out. If I was about 150NM further east I'd be comfortable but I'm losing wind and angle rapidly over the next 12 hours and won't be able to bang it on a straight easterly heading in time to catch good wind. You probably had enough of a head start to pull it off days ago when we split, but the smart money was getting away from this awful weather south like you did I think.

34 minutes ago, x2sea said:

The weather systems seem more squirrely this year than as I recall from the past.  I was expecting a more steady train of cold lows tracking along from COGH to CH. The systems are breaking down, inverting, and causing all sorts of shit to my routing schedule.  It's probably COVID-related too.  Fuck fuck fuck

Seems you picked the best route out of us three a few days ago and caught the last good puff before it all went to shit. None of us have really gained or lost too much in terms of placing in the general classification so I guess the fleet around us spread out about the same as we did. I'm just hoping there isn't a big group north of me that's gonna pop up ahead when I get caught by this dead air in about 48 hours. 

Good morning,

Headline news is that Your Mom is no longer on top!  Replaced by Big Balls......  What can I say? Boats such as Mudsailor who got to the ice limit early and have been forced into a series of gybes have lost positions - I know how it feels.  In about 24 hours a small parasitic low is going to form to the north of the main low that we are riding on.  If you get to the east of it, you will be reaching in strong north-westerlies, if you get caught in the centre - you could be floundering in sub 10kts from the due west which will not be quick.  A bit of a gap could open before getting to Cape Horn in about two days.  The S Atlantic is looking like a long slog with very little reaching, almost all upwind work.

Moby Bick needs to wake up and look out of the window, he is currently stuck in the midst of an ice flow and still determinedly heading SE at 3.7kts in moderate northerlies, which will make escape a slow and painful process.

Hschultz is still involved in a slow waltz around his own private high pressure system.  He seems to be enjoying himself so we will leave him be.

Coverage is likely to be spotty over the next few days as real life gets in the way.  I should manage an update on Christmas Eve, but I can foresee some inattention over the next few days.

22-Dec      
01:00UTC      
1 Gufmiester BigBalls 8102.85
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3
3 Your Mom Your Mom SA 3.16
4 Will Lee Lorraine III 7.55
5 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 14
6 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 18.2
7 daan62 hutspot77 18.3
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 20.5
9 viper43 viper64043 21.6
10 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 26
11 Iced Tea rule69 28.7
12 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 29.7
13 kea.nn kea.nn SA 33.2
14 12345 Siafu 35.9
15 yeahbuoy Cool J 39.1
16 Raz'r SVKahoots 40
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 49.3
18 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 60.6
19 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 64.3
20 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 69.2
21 F15 AUS AUS3572 69.2
22 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 73.1
23 TocToc Vuvuzela 78.3
24 sailon2 jahmbo SA 92.2
25 MasterRobin MasterRobin 97.4
26 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 148.2
27 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 162.5
28 CordRipper RumHam 163.7
29 arr4ws Arr4ws 168.2
30 SteveJH Stephen_1987 170.3
31 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 198.2
32 bushsailor rushour 218.7
33 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 264.8
34 Flaming Flaming 274.7
35 Mike G MikeVentura 290.9
36 gavinbpk PGB 363.5
37 x2sea m2for-SA 1583
38 Headntac Ryoochi 1996
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2237
40 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3270
41 MobyBick MobyBick 3470
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3511
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 3660
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3695
45 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3922
46 mad Sticky 3929
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 4078
48 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 4227
49 klymen klymen 4952
50 CapnK KR deCap 5109
51 Vin Divided Sky 5901
52 Mid SA_Mid 6265
53 gary Hschutz 6960
  • Like 4
On 12/20/2020 at 12:14 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

@mom The South Atlantic looks like a mine field of hi pressure holes. Seems like turn left fast miss the Falklands and get North fast! Do you have any thoughts as a Big Dog Running faster than most of us on getting North fast?

Sorry about the delay in response.  I've been traveling with the family and navigating on my phone...  Yeah...  Atlantic looks unpleasant.  For now, I'm also seeing a quick turn north, leave the Falklands to starboard, and a few days later plan on days of upwind sailing.  Hoping for a change, although I'll take anything if it includes a big hole of dead wind opening behind me so that the race to the finish will be against 2,000 rather than 20,000.

In 2016, I stayed with the ice line, aggressively trying to get East to avoid the upwind stuff.  It had a chance, but I couldn't quite get through a light patch fast enough up around 25S.  I'd like a similar move this year, if I could justify it, but I'm not seeing a path that way that would work.

• Like 2

Hmm....  I got what I asked for...  A change in forecast such that now Zezo wants the lead group to go up the ice line for a couple days instead of turning North right away...  But I'm not keen on it and am now indecisive.  I hate being indecisive because it's always slow.  There's a decent chance the deciding factor in this race will be the direction taken in the first day or two from Cape Horn...  So about 12 hours from now, it'll be time to make one's bed and lie in it.  I'm not sure yet which way I'm going to go.

It seems the routing is being dictated by two soft spots...  One around 42S, 4-5 days down track, and another around 32S, a week down track.  When the positions and size of those change with a forecast, it can have huge impacts on the routing.  So the decision depends on which forecasts for those you trust most.  I guess the forecast will update two more times between now and Cape Horn...  If it consistently keeps saying to go East, I probably will.  If it waffles, I might stick with the North turn.

• Like 2

you cant get much more indecisive than this - losing ground on both groups! was tending towards going upwind to the left of the high also, what you said earlier made sense as there seemed to be a good chance the breeze would shut down on the right as the high developed... but now maybe the left is looking fickle as well? hard to decide. 

2020-12-23 13_37_50-Vendée Globe - WebNavigatorBrowser.png

11 minutes ago, flutter said:

you cant get much more indecisive than this - losing ground on both groups! was tending towards going upwind to the left of the high also, what you said earlier made sense as there seemed to be a good chance the breeze would shut down on the right as the high developed... but now maybe the left is looking fickle as well? hard to decide. 

2020-12-23 13_37_50-Vendée Globe - WebNavigatorBrowser.png

The boats in the north pack are following a routing from 14 hours or so ago that was recommending short-gybing the islands a couple times to get around the horn.  I couldn't see why at first, and then realized Zezo wanted to avoid the 35+ kt winds.  VMG Short-gybing in 28-30 can be faster than TWA 140 in 42...  I opted to stick with the more direct routing in hopes of a reduced forecast, so I'm on the south side of that pack.  I think I can stay ahed of it long enough for it to be a good call, but I'm not sure.

The south pack is heading for the ice line.  Notice the strongest winds are in the middle, and if you get down there, you can get into the 30-36 that's much better than 37-44.  So they're driving down into that.  I wanted to keep my options open, rather than being pinned between 42 kts and the ice line.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I think I can stay ahead of it long enough for it to be a good call, but I'm not sure.

It is amazing what a lead you guys with the go fast gear have built.   Now an ocean ahead !!!

Good luck with your ascent of the Atlantic.  We'll plod along in the cheap seats - seemingly from one center of a high to the next -  and watch with a little bit of envy how things are panning out up front. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Mom for your thoughts and sights on this race situation! Could not describe it better...

I happen to be 7nm behind you without following you this morning. Tried the same, to go east as quick as possible, gambling with the weather updates and delay the decisions on which side to pass the Malvinas.

Not shure, if that pays out...

4 hours ago, Laser1 said:

It is amazing what a lead you guys with the go fast gear have built.   Now an ocean ahead !!!

Good luck with your ascent of the Atlantic.  We'll plod along in the cheap seats - seemingly from one center of a high to the next -  and watch with a little bit of envy how things are panning out up front. ;)

Even though the leaders are in a different weather system, the discrepancy between paying (the upgraded pro sail package) and the ordinary players with standard sails is just too much this time around. One French observer thinks it is to force everyone to pay to play in the future. 

At the equator in day 12 I was side by side with a friend in a pro boat (he had not sailed the first leg to the equator well and I had managed some good moves). At that stage I was in the low 300,000's. 

I have continued to sail pretty well since then and am now lying 71,100.  

I currently have 10,500 miles to the finish after 45 days at sea and he has continued to sail pretty badly (frequently at 155 or 160 twa) and is well behind the lead group but only has 7,500 to the finish.

So he has opened a 3,000 miles lead over me in 33 days. That equates to around 95 miles per day. 

When I look at the pro sails options in my dashboard they consistently show between 0.3 to 0.6 knot advantage over the standard sails, never more. This would work out at just 14.4 miles per day.

So how does the game give him all those extra 81 miles which works out closer to 4 knots over the standard sails. 

The difference certainly can't just be explained away by the different weather systems.

Good morning,

A rather late update in the rankings.  The forecast has been jumping around quite a bit over the last 36 hrs which has not helped me as I was out playing yesterday which meant no phone access, consequently further losses, with some indecision - which as Mom pointed out is always slow. 

Mom has covered the routing options, but as we have almost reached the Horn the decision of where to go has been overshadowed by Divided Sky's choice of parking spot of Golden Bay WA.  I am sure it is not far from a pub. Also Moby Bick has been used and abused by the swingers in the mid pack and is still struggling to get back to the ice limit.

The next update is likely to be on 28th.  Enjoy your festivities. I hope you can be in touch with your loved ones, even if you can't be with them.  Our kids are on a different continent for their first Christmas away from us - it is going to be a strange one.

24-Dec      
01:30UTC      
1 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 7075.95
2 Gufmiester BigBalls 5.74
3 Your Mom Your Mom SA 12.4
4 Will Lee Lorraine III 29
5 viper43 viper64043 50.3
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 54.1
7 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 58.3
8 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 63.8
9 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 64.4
10 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 65.2
11 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 66.9
12 daan62 hutspot77 72.2
13 12345 Siafu 74.2
14 Raz'r SVKahoots 76.2
15 Iced Tea rule69 81.8
16 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 87.1
17 yeahbuoy Cool J 88.3
18 kea.nn kea.nn SA 89.3
19 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 113.4
20 TocToc Vuvuzela 134.1
21 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 189.4
22 F15 AUS AUS3572 217.9
23 MasterRobin MasterRobin 244.6
24 sailon2 jahmbo SA 258.4
25 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 279.6
26 SteveJH Stephen_1987 288.4
27 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 306.1
28 bushsailor rushour 341.5
29 arr4ws Arr4ws 344.2
30 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 350.1
31 CordRipper RumHam 363
32 Flaming Flaming 424.1
33 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 462.6
34 gavinbpk PGB 465.6
35 Mike G MikeVentura 476.3
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1855
37 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 2453
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2772
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2895
40 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3793
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 4251
42 Laser1 Hotfoot 4269
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 4270
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 4314
45 mad Sticky 4317
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 4347
47 MobyBick MobyBick 4386
48 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 4509
49 klymen klymen 5052
50 CapnK KR deCap 5180
51 Mid SA_Mid 6774
52 Vin Divided Sky 6925
53 gary Hschutz 8136
  • Like 2

Well, still indecisive, and I lost a bit by not making a ballsy call to turn North straight from Cape Horn.  For anyone who wasn't watching as the latest forecast posted...  Before the forecast came in, Zezo wanted the lead group to round Cape Horn and sail TWA 150 for a while, hedging toward the ice limit before turning north.  When the forecast update came in, it suddenly wanted everyone to gybe and head for the ice limit aggressively, which you can see boats like ghostbuster and Titanic95 chose to do.  I bore off to TWA 155 (resulting in a sailchange to HG), and was prepping to gybe with them when the forecast advanced far enough to suddenly decide going past the Falklands would actually be better.  I decided I'd rather do that move, and made a hard left turn (switching back to Staysail half an hour after switching to HG, which tends to irritate me).  Then it changed its mind slightly again, recommending sailing through the Falklands rather than just West of them.  I actually really like sailing through the Falklands (for no good strategic reason...  I'm just weird that way), so that's the plan now.  I've set waypoints the whole way and am going to bed, so I'll be pretty thoroughly committed by the time I wake up.  I sure hope I don't wake up to the newest forecast recommending a hard right turn to the ice limit.

I rounded in 200th.  Not very happy with that, although I guess it isn't bad.  Mostly I was unhappy about being most of an hour off the lead.  Lost some ground to the boats that short-gybed the islands best (although I gained on some who didn't do it very well).  I've gained spots simply by turning North, but if the ice limit pays off, I'll lose a ton of spots later.  A few boats went North immediately from Cape Horn and made out well, if the latest forecast holds.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Laser1 said:

I'm not even looking at how far ahead those guys are, any bets on when we'll finish?:P

Late yesterday evening I ran headlong into a holiday bottle of Kirk and Sweeney. Subsequently, and more or less as a direct result, I found myself running into the ice line in the wee hours.
Oops!
Never went out of the 'railroad ties', and thankfully never saw my boat speed drop at all. Perhaps the server had some rum too. Anyway, a warning:

Watch out for Holiday Cheer, it can mess with you/your race. :D

Merry Christmas (and/or whatever, or not -  standard disclaimer applies), fellow virtual racers!

• Like 2

@Mom GO Fast!  You got your wish, lead group at the Horn and the weather gage... I had you with in 2 1/2 hours at the Horn. Even had routed west of the Falklands shooting the gap at the Horn dialed in and set.... BUT I checkes the zoo thinking been there done that before about the Routing I had set in and canceled it, then  went RIGHT, right out of the game... So  u and noballs up there FIND a  nice   Big ol hole and parkem up will ya..B)

On 12/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, winchfodder said:

Surprised 3ve3da was not first into Point Nemo from the lead, seems that the front runner for the fancy watch is needyeux. It will be interesting at the Horn which of the nemoists are ahead.

I see Matt Johnson has just squeezed ahead of needyeux in the battle for the watch. The two boats are keeping a tight cover.

3 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

@Mom GO Fast!  You got your wish, lead group at the Horn and the weather gage... I had you with in 2 1/2 hours at the Horn. Even had routed west of the Falklands shooting the gap at the Horn dialed in and set.... BUT I checkes the zoo thinking been there done that before about the Routing I had set in and canceled it, then  went RIGHT, right out of the game... So  u and noballs up there FIND a  nice   Big ol hole and parkem up will ya..B)

I'm enjoying Christmas so far.  Every decision since Falklands, I've opted to hedge East, and it's working so far.  I was a bit more than an hour behind sauvageon at Falklands, and am definitely within an hour now.  I'll be very happy if we can cross the big group over by the ice line while having the guys who went West of Falkland drop in behind me.  If that happens, it may finally turn into a real endgame against a small number of boats, although with 2-3 weeks to go, we could easily all come back together again.  Only trouble is...  Some of the boats still ahead of me are damn good.

3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

I see Matt Johnson has just squeezed ahead of needyeux in the battle for the watch. The two boats are keeping a tight cover.

In 2016, Matt told me he didn't sleep much the last two weeks, once he realized he had a chance to win.  He'll do what it takes to win.  He's enthusiastic about the idea of winning in 2016 and then getting the watch in 2020.  With that said...  Of course some of the boats he's racing against will give it full effort too.  Rafal71 made the wrong move back near Cape Horn and dropped behind him.  That was a big pickup for Matt.