Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Oops! That's gone as well 

You can still get it from the little clock in the top right corner.  (Or Dashboard)

• Like 3
2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Just a bit concerned YM has gone left. The right seems to be better for the next seven days in the VR forecasts!

I'm playing to win, or lose trying, rather than following the router in hopes of finishing maybe 80th from where I was.  So I'm taking a bit of leverage and pushing it.  I've actually been routing to Ireland for several days now, to force it to route me into North Atlantic downwind conditions for the finale.  Conditions on the south side of the Bay of Biscay are often contrary, whereas approaching from WNW can be fast.  That's the play...  We'll see how it pans out.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

You can still get it from the little clock in the top right corner.  (Or Dashboard)

Thanks - works from the 'Navigation logbook'. Good to see VR continuing their tradition of boasting about features and player numbers, until they break their own platform and piss everyone off. At least I won't be tempted to modify my strategy based on what others around me are doing as all that functionality is gone too. Let's see how long this lasts...

Flying blind for the day is good fun.

Depends how things pan out when the lights go back on :lol:

PS. managed to sneak in to the 99K's before the tack yesterday evening.

19 hours ago, Your Mom said:

This is why in my earlier response, I said the higher level of support for VIP was theoretical...  They say it's a benefit, but I haven't seen any confirmation thereof.  If paying for VIP resulted in issues being resolved within an hour, 24/7, it would increase the value of VIP.

Remembering passwords is a hazard of running two boats on the same device.  I run one boat and my devices know its password, so I only need to log in occasionally when the app gets updated or whatever.

I confirm that response is pretty slow even with a subscription. I bought one to support the game, never thought I would need support until I did. 

BTW: Consider using the same password on your multiple accounts? 

3 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm playing to win, or lose trying, rather than following the router in hopes of finishing maybe 80th from where I was.  So I'm taking a bit of leverage and pushing it.  I've actually been routing to Ireland for several days now, to force it to route me into North Atlantic downwind conditions for the finale.  Conditions on the south side of the Bay of Biscay are often contrary, whereas approaching from WNW can be fast.  That's the play...  We'll see how it pans out.

Sounds sensible. The leading group are pretty tight onto the routing. I am all for banging the occasional corner with calculated risk, won at least one world and European championship that way! 

I hope your "Irish" approach, steaming into Les Sables pays off. 

Just now, winchfodder said:

Sounds sensible. The leading group are pretty tight onto the routing. I am all for banging the occasional corner with calculated risk, won at least one world and European championship that way! 

I hope your "Irish" approach, steaming into Les Sables pays off. 

It's important to zoom out in the router from time to time, to see where it's taking you.  Zezo can't route backwards, so if the best route involves temporary negative VMG relative to your current position (even if the VMG is never negative from the progressive future positions), it won't recognize it.  So you see behaviors where it gets indecisive, flipping back and forth between "go East" and "go West".  You can see it in the isochrones when it happens...  For parts of the last 3-4 days, it was doing that.  Flipping between a route that dead-ended on the Spanish coast and a route that dead-ended by Ireland.  If you flip back and forth every time it changes, you'll lose out to both sides.  You have to pick one and go with it, if you want to come out ahead.  So I picked Ireland.  In another day or so, I'll be far enough North (and West) to not have this problem anymore...  If there's a bit of Southing in the finale, it won't be "negative VMG" from that angle.

Another "just pick something and go with it" scenario, which compounded this situation, is approaching the doldrums.  The forecast there can be wildly variable, so if there are weak wind bridges, moving around with every forecast update, it can cause your routing for the last 2-3 days approaching the doldrums to shift wildly...  So you have to pick a direction and go with it, rather than chase moving wind bridges.  Then do the best you can with what you get when you arrive.  Less of an issue this time because (at least for the lead pack), the doldrums never got very weak or unstable...  But that was an issue southbound, and may be an issue for people who arrive a couple days from now.  I've had plenty of times approaching the doldrums where I just give up on the router, set it to 180 (southbound) or 0 (northbound), and let it go, waiting to see if the next forecast reverts to the prior or whatever.  It can be a total crapshoot, but zig-zagging will always lose.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It's important to zoom out in the router from time to time, to see where it's taking you.  Zezo can't route backwards, so if the best route involves temporary negative VMG relative to your current position (even if the VMG is never negative from the progressive future positions), it won't recognize it.  So you see behaviors where it gets indecisive, flipping back and forth between "go East" and "go West".  You can see it in the isochrones when it happens...  For parts of the last 3-4 days, it was doing that.  Flipping between a route that dead-ended on the Spanish coast and a route that dead-ended by Ireland.  If you flip back and forth every time it changes, you'll lose out to both sides.  You have to pick one and go with it, if you want to come out ahead.  So I picked Ireland.  In another day or so, I'll be far enough North (and West) to not have this problem anymore...  If there's a bit of Southing in the finale, it won't be "negative VMG" from that angle.

Another "just pick something and go with it" scenario, which compounded this situation, is approaching the doldrums.  The forecast there can be wildly variable, so if there are weak wind bridges, moving around with every forecast update, it can cause your routing for the last 2-3 days approaching the doldrums to shift wildly...  So you have to pick a direction and go with it, rather than chase moving wind bridges.  Then do the best you can with what you get when you arrive.  Less of an issue this time because (at least for the lead pack), the doldrums never got very weak or unstable...  But that was an issue southbound, and may be an issue for people who arrive a couple days from now.  I've had plenty of times approaching the doldrums where I just give up on the router, set it to 180 (southbound) or 0 (northbound), and let it go, waiting to see if the next forecast reverts to the prior or whatever.  It can be a total crapshoot, but zig-zagging will always lose.

yep, Zezo was bouncing back and forth the last couple days. I was east, it kept wanting me to come back to the pack, I just held on.  Seems to have turned out ok. went from the high 20k now to 15k. Time to think ahead again

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

So you see behaviors where it gets indecisive, flipping back and forth between "go East" and "go West".

I'm having this problem on the Jules Verne course right now. I'm just north of the Canaries in a really nice system running south and zezo keeps flipping between taking the more traditional route SW towards Brazil and hugging the African coast for a bit and then dropping south. I think I'm going with traditional wisdom and stay away from the African route for now since it's not showing an absurd difference right now. 

19 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

I'm having this problem on the Jules Verne course right now. I'm just north of the Canaries in a really nice system running south and zezo keeps flipping between taking the more traditional route SW towards Brazil and hugging the African coast for a bit and then dropping south. I think I'm going with traditional wisdom and stay away from the African route for now since it's not showing an absurd difference right now. 

90% of the time, that's the right move.  If it's considering the Africa side, it's because the Brazil side's forecast is awful.  If it's awful and 6-10 days into the future, it's likely to at least turn into "less awful".

(My mind is wanting to turn "less awful" into a joke similar to Master and Commander's "lesser of two weevils", but with a lesser waffle...  But...  I can't quite make it into anything that works...)

• Like 1

Good morning,

The main pack is through the Doldrums and into a well established set of NE Trades.  Everyone is heading NNW at a reasonable pace.  The boats in the east seemed to take longer through the Doldrums than those in the west, however they are still ahead in the rankings.  

The trade wind sailing is likely to last for another three days and then we will be into a series of highs and lows with some theoretical strong winds between them, which could be glamourous, and some low winds in the centres which could be messy.  I don't really trust the detailed modelling of these systems yet, I think things will change once we get closer.

The Corinthians have again been swapping positions, the Hooded Fang and Klymen out to the east, while the others are taking a more central route and currently playing in the middle of a reasonable sized low.

These rankings were done at 00:45, but then work got in the way, so I am only posting now.  There will be nothing from me over the weekend as I am going hiking on Sat and sailing on Sun - racing has been cancelled so we are going out training :o followed by long seafood lunch.  Enjoy your weekend, see you all on Monday.

8-Jan      
00:45UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Gufmiester BigBalls 2826.79
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 13
3 Your Mom Your Mom SA 14.2
4 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 33.6
5 Will Lee Lorraine III 33.8
6 daan62 hutspot77 35.6
7 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 36.3
8 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.9
9 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 40.6
10 Iced Tea rule69 41.4
11 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 41.6
12 MasterRobin MasterRobin 43.3
13 TocToc Vuvuzela 44.9
14 12345 Siafu 45.4
15 viper43 viper64043 46.3
16 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 47
17 kea.nn kea.nn SA 49.4
18 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 49.9
19 yeahbuoy Cool J 50
20 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 53.6
21 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 55.5
22 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 68.8
23 Raz'r SVKahoots 73.7
24 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 77.5
25 arr4ws Arr4ws 80.1
26 sailon2 jahmbo SA 88.1
27 gavinbpk PGB 112.6
28 F15 AUS AUS3572 139.5
29 SteveJH Stephen_1987 154.7
30 Flaming Flaming 156.9
31 CordRipper RumHam 158.5
32 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 172.2
33 Mike G MikeVentura 189.1
34 bushsailor rushour 237.5
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 283.1
36 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 509.3
37 x2sea m2for-SA 1999
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2373
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2536
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 2651
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3273
42 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3275
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 3316
44 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3349
45 mad Sticky 3385
46 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3397
47 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3428
48 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3463
49 klymen klymen 3470
50 CapnK KR deCap 5036
51 Mid SA_Mid 6622
52 MobyBick MobyBick 6970
53 gary Hschutz 10000
54 Vin Divided Sky 11000
  • Like 2

Yup..thanks TR. Sliding down in the rankings. I lost 75K boats today going more west...but I could not see pounding upwind a better option..It is easy to play armchair quarterback and make a bad guess. I may be on the wrong side of the Low now.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Yup..thanks TR. Sliding down in the rankings. I lost 75K boats today going more west...but I could not see pounding upwind a better option..It is easy to play armchair quarterback and make a bad guess. I may be on the wrong side of the Low now.

The pundits are saying the low is moving eastwards fast.  It will all change......eventually!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I’m gonna go check out the girls in Paraguay 

6 hours ago, Hike, Bitches! said:

Yup..thanks TR. Sliding down in the rankings. I lost 75K boats today going more west..

It was nice of you to  come visit guys...

19 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm playing to win, or lose trying, rather than following the router in hopes of finishing maybe 80th from where I was.  So I'm taking a bit of leverage and pushing it. 

That's what I'll tell everyone I was doing while losing 90k places :lol:

11 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

The Corinthians have again been swapping positions, the Hooded Fang and Klymen out to the east, while the others are taking a more central route and currently playing in the middle of a reasonable sized low.

East is best! Wait and see! :ph34r:

Newbie question... i have only been into this for a few weeks following beer bets :-)

I cannot seem to program a course forward of the beam... Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? I have seen this raised as a bug earlier (Nov) and will be mighty pissed if I cannot fix. 

12 minutes ago, tallyho said:

Newbie question... i have only been into this for a few weeks following beer bets :-)

I cannot seem to program a course forward of the beam... Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? I have seen this raised as a bug earlier (Nov) and will be mighty pissed if I cannot fix. 

Never heard of an issue like that...  Can you clarify?  You're trying to use programmation to schedule a TWA course between TWA 0 and TWA 90, and it won't let you?  What goes wrong?  Error message of some kind?  What's the name of your boat in the game?

I am half a world behind you, but as my first try have been having fun and winning some beer bets along the way..(lost a few too but we forget them)

Coming around the horn into a header, and cannot program for upwind?

I have the full sail pack but not VIP. Customer service on the site does not exist. Might have something to do with the auto sail select and upwind sails?

30F34974-7A6B-4CDC-B139-1B5D723B990A.jpeg

Ah - ok - you actually can.  It's working fine.  But the programmation lines are messed up when a sailchange is involved.  There are certain situations...  I'm not sure exactly...  Something to do with how far in the future your programmation is and whether it's TWA or not, and maybe also whether your current course is TWA or not...  Where it plots your white line using your current sail instead of whatever the autosails would choose.  So...  If your current sail would be awful for the future angle and windspeed...  It'll look like your screenshot.

But...  It fixes itself before you get there.  At some point...  Probably after you get past your first programmation point...  It'll suddenly realize your second one requires a sailchnge, and you'll be fine.  So...  It won't cause a problem for your actual race...  But it makes planning a complex series of maneuvers impossible.  In your screenshot, there's no way to figure out where your boat will really be in 4 hours...  Which is a problem if you're getting ready to sleep.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

90% of the time, that's the right move.  If it's considering the Africa side, it's because the Brazil side's forecast is awful.  If it's awful and 6-10 days into the future, it's likely to at least turn into "less awful".

(My mind is wanting to turn "less awful" into a joke similar to Master and Commander's "lesser of two weevils", but with a lesser waffle...  But...  I can't quite make it into anything that works...)

Hi YM, a bit of advice please. 

I am quite a few days behind you working up the south Atlantic. The VR router wants me to work my way north closing with the coast of Brazil. Set on four day routing zezo concurs. However set on five days (see below) and beyond zezo wants me to head well east of the rhumb line. 

Do you think it is better working on the shorter or longer term routing.

P.S  all the best with the west, you are looking ok for the moment!

Screenshot_20210108-182457_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210108-182516_Chrome.jpg

I have worked in consumer software for many years and the bugs and errors in this program are unacceptable. VR should not be taking on more races and adding to their infrastructure load if they cannot handle what is going on.

Shame, but they have lost me, i have invested too much time to have crappy software execution F it up for me. I have put up with the app reloads and data missing, but I cannot tack through more than 190 degrees which makes it a little hard to progress... let alone having to babysit the thing.

Good luck Mom, thx for the help, I’ll cheer you on from the sidelines!

38 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Hi YM, a bit of advice please. 

I am quite a few days behind you working up the south Atlantic. The VR router wants me to work my way north closing with the coast of Brazil. Set on four day routing zezo concurs. However set on five days (see below) and beyond zezo wants me to head well east of the rhumb line. 

Do you think it is better working on the shorter or longer term routing.

P.S  all the best with the west, you are looking ok for the moment

It's important to understand the behaviors of the router you use.  I don't use VR's router, so I don't know much about it, but in Zezo's router, if it can't reach the destination in the number of days you're routing with, it will route to the closest point it can reach.  So...  From your current position, in 4 days, the closest you can get to your destination is near Brazil.  In 5 days, the closest you can be would be a totally different course into the middle of the Atlantic.  It's likely that neither is correct.  In 4-5 days, you'll still be a couple weeks from the finish.  So if you want to route only for 4-5 days, then you need to think about where you want to be, strategically for later, in 4-5 days, and route to that position...  Instead of using the 4-5 day routing to the finish line.

I almost always use the 16-day routing.  But I often look at the isochrones and route to custom destinations...  Such as deciding to route toward Ireland for a few days there to force the router to give me a route that would head course-left.  Some of the time, I didn't like what I was seeing up near Europe...  unstable light stuff 10 days out that almost certainly was going to change in the next forecast update...  So I just set destinations near the Azores for a few hours to force it to work with the strategy I was choosing to play.

From your position, you need to look at the winds off Brazil in 6-7 days and see if you're comfortable being close to shore or would rather be offshore.  Then you also need to look at the long term forecast for the North Atlantic and think about what strategy you want to play...  Do you want to go NNW and then try to hook into a North Atlantic system, like I've been doing, or do you want to try for a more direct line to the finish?  Which way you want to go should play into whether you want to push toward Brazil or go offshore.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

It's important to understand the behaviors of the router you use.  I don't use VR's router, so I don't know much about it, but in Zezo's router, if it can't reach the destination in the number of days you're routing with, it will route to the closest point it can reach.  So...  From your current position, in 4 days, the closest you can get to your destination is near Brazil.  In 5 days, the closest you can be would be a totally different course into the middle of the Atlantic.  It's likely that neither is correct.  In 4-5 days, you'll still be a couple weeks from the finish.  So if you want to route only for 4-5 days, then you need to think about where you want to be, strategically for later, in 4-5 days, and route to that position...  Instead of using the 4-5 day routing to the finish line.

I almost always use the 16-day routing.  But I often look at the isochrones and route to custom destinations...  Such as deciding to route toward Ireland for a few days there to force the router to give me a route that would head course-left.  Some of the time, I didn't like what I was seeing up near Europe...  unstable light stuff 10 days out that almost certainly was going to change in the next forecast update...  So I just set destinations near the Azores for a few hours to force it to work with the strategy I was choosing to play.

From your position, you need to look at the winds off Brazil in 6-7 days and see if you're comfortable being close to shore or would rather be offshore.  Then you also need to look at the long term forecast for the North Atlantic and think about what strategy you want to play...  Do you want to go NNW and then try to hook into a North Atlantic system, like I've been doing, or do you want to try for a more direct line to the finish?  Which way you want to go should play into whether you want to push toward Brazil or go offshore.

Thanks for the thorough explanation. All the best for the 'luck of the Irish "

• Like 1

That’s one fast moving low pressure zone. Reminds me of a girl I knew in school. I lost my first bet against the LPZ when it crushed my left leverage by flying right by. It will now drag the high with it to try slamming the door on the right. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

That’s one fast moving low pressure zone. Reminds me of a girl I knew in school. I lost my first bet against the LPZ when it crushed my left leverage by flying right by. It will now drag the high with it to try slamming the door on the right. 

Did the girl at school crush you against the nearest hard object as well?

• Like 3

I have "need yeux" in pole for the fancy watch and pretty close to YM in the west. But he is so far down the UN ranking at 269 and all the leaders are in the east.

Any ideas who really might be in front?

4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

I have "need yeux" in pole for the fancy watch and pretty close to YM in the west. But he is so far down the UN ranking at 269 and all the leaders are in the east.

Any ideas who really might be in front?

TIKI38 is the best I know of, but I think there are others who won't emerge until the West group gets to the front.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

The left flew by and she slammed the right door while her father guarded the front door so....

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

TIKI38 is the best I know of, but I think there are others who won't emerge until the West group gets to the front.

Tiki138 did not go though the Nemo gate from looking at his track. Need yeux now back as 469 nemoist but I like his western course like yours, for the moment at least though the classification is not so pretty as the boats to the east. 

2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Tiki138 did not go though the Nemo gate from looking at his track. Need yeux now back as 469 nemoist but I like his western course like yours, for the moment at least though the classification is not so pretty as the boats to the east. 

Correct - sorry, I thought you were looking for overall leaders, not Nemo.  

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Correct - sorry, I thought you were looking for overall leaders, not Nemo.  

Yes, need yeux has sailed a great race, he came up pretty much closer to south America than the majority and made good gains. I am not sure how he does it as you are all on the top VIP packs at the front. He was in the first half dozen at Nemo.

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Yes, need yeux has sailed a great race, he came up pretty much closer to south America than the majority and made good gains. I am not sure how he does it as you are all on the top VIP packs at the front. He was in the first half dozen at Nemo.

If you check his history, you'll see he's had occasional good finishes.  He's experienced and knows how to race well.  And he has all of the options, so he the main lead pack doesn't have any advantages over him.  He just gambled on the west side of the course, and that was the right move.  Also, there was some fleet compression for a few days after the Falklands, helping the Nemo group to get closer.  Going to Nemo cost something like 8-9 hours at Cape Horn, but I think it has diminished to more like 3-4 hours now.

Performances like his are what make me worry about mystery boats that'll surface way ahead later.  It's possible that there may be some boats that rounded Cape Horn with the lead pack, went aggressively West the whole way, and are now 40-50 miles off my bow.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

If you check his history, you'll see he's had occasional good finishes.  He's experienced and knows how to race well.  And he has all of the options, so he the main lead pack doesn't have any advantages over him.  He just gambled on the west side of the course, and that was the right move.  Also, there was some fleet compression for a few days after the Falklands, helping the Nemo group to get closer.  Going to Nemo cost something like 8-9 hours at Cape Horn, but I think it has diminished to more like 3-4 hours now.

Performances like his are what make me worry about mystery boats that'll surface way ahead later.  It's possible that there may be some boats that rounded Cape Horn with the lead pack, went aggressively West the whole way, and are now 40-50 miles off my bow.

Hakunamata  (on your port side) was well ahead of him (you can see him well ahead of you on day 52 when he was in the lead overall) and the most Westerly and leading past Brazil, so I am not convinced there are too many lurkers around you as need yeux overhauled him. It's a mystery where they all are, but I think mostly east! Shame there isn't a button to reveal your neighbours. 

Screenshot_20210109-221542_VR Offshore.jpg

Screenshot_20210109-222525_VR Offshore.jpg

YAKOUTI was leading the Nemo for a while by about 5NM, he’s due south of YM by about 8 miles now, I believe he’s the leading Nemo boats close to YM

The top 10 ranking for Nemo is attached, none of them were there when we crossed the equator.

D018E3F6-373A-48FA-8EDC-3B25F8BD2E70.png

18 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

YAKOUTI was leading the Nemo for a while by about 5NM, he’s due south of YM by about 8 miles now, I believe he’s the leading Nemo boats close to YM

The top 10 ranking for Nemo is attached, none of them were there when we crossed the equator.

D018E3F6-373A-48FA-8EDC-3B25F8BD2E70.png

need yeux is close to yakouti,  as long as the west pays that is. Here's wishing for YM!

That tigrou in front has pages and pages of past races.

34 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

need yeux is about 20 miles to leeward of YAKOUTI.   I see rafal71-TPN to leeward and a little north as well 

Well spotted. Rafal looks good for the nemoists. Its hard to find them in the fleet. 

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

There is one boat from my team a little bit more north of tigrou26120, Tournesol II his name. He was close to you at the horn and stayed west steadily since then, while ScoobyDoo, who is also in my team, went east. I was quite close to you all at the horn and took the wrong decision to head east to the ice limit, which ruined my race...

12 minutes ago, Will Lee said:

There is one boat from my team a little bit more north of tigrou26120, Tournesol II his name. He was close to you at the horn and stayed west steadily since then, while ScoobyDoo, who is also in my team, went east. I was quite close to you all at the horn and took the wrong decision to head east to the ice limit, which ruined my race...

Thanks.  I didn't know of either of these boats (although I'm aware more generally of tigrou...  He's quite good).  So I have some serious gaining to do if I want to win this thing, but hopefully not against too many opponents.

• Like 1

Yeah, both guys are doing the race of their lives ;) ScoobyDoo was pretty long in front of you already after Theta, and also on the podium or leading for several days in the Pacific and later in the southern Atlantic. Good look to all from my side!

9 hours ago, Will Lee said:

Yeah, both guys are doing the race of their lives ;) ScoobyDoo was pretty long in front of you already after Theta, and also on the podium or leading for several days in the Pacific and later in the southern Atlantic. Good look to all from my side!

Poor old YM, now Tournesol II turns up. Seems there are always new boats popping up just ahead of you that you haven't seen. Glad I an relatively unstressed trapped in light winds in the south Atlantic at 69,000! 

2 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Poor old YM, now Tournesol II turns up. Seems there are always new boats popping up just ahead of you that you haven't seen. Glad I an relatively unstressed trapped in light winds in the south Atlantic at 69,000! 

I'll be ok.  And there's time. 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'll be ok.  And there's time. 

Good. I see tournesol, tiki and tigrou have been covering you the whole way up the Atlantic. Tourne just managed to squeeze a bit more distance slightly closer to south Americs.

It's going to be a close finish.

So, I got the VR Dashboard installed. I got the chrome plugin installed http://zezo.org/forum.pl?tid=6166

I log in to VR, give debug access, and I see my boat on the VR dashboard and then boat and route on the zezo.org page. How do I get the routing points transferred to the VR game?

Sorry for being a newb. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, bbl said:

So, I got the VR Dashboard installed. I got the chrome plugin installed http://zezo.org/forum.pl?tid=6166

I log in to VR, give debug access, and I see my boat on the VR dashboard and then boat and route on the zezo.org page. How do I get the routing points transferred to the VR game?

Sorry for being a newb. Thanks!

You don't.  If you could, it would probably be a violation of the rules of the game, anyway.  You have to navigate your own boat. Zezo is just a tool to get routing recommendations, and Dashboard is just a tool for advanced data.  If you review the Zezo forums enough, I think you'll find another downloadable tool that someone created that will give you each Zezo course change precisely, so that if you want to, you can match its routing turn-by-turn by manually scheduling all of the same course changes...  But I've never looked at that tool, let alone used it...  Steering that precisely to match Zezo usually isn't as fast as steering smoother courses with fewer course changes.  Also...  Usually, although Zezo is great, you'll still lose out to people who apply some human intelligence.  I see Zezo as a tool for ideas rather than a router to always follow precisely.

Besides...  What would be fun about racing if you're just clicking a couple buttons to feed A into B?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Steering that precisely to match Zezo usually isn't as fast as steering smoother courses with fewer course changes.

Besides...  What would be fun about racing if you're just clicking a couple buttons to feed A into B?

Thanks for this input. I agree, for it to be interesting, I need to want something. Want to be somewhere. Make a hypothesis and check if it was right. I do this by marking loads of boats around me (by using the radar), and see if I come up ahead.

I never used router software before this VG VR, which is my first VR game. In this race I have often used the routing by setting the end point to where I want to go (for example east). Then I have sometimes removed small route changes that I don't understand. Can I ask how often do you change direction? Do you use TWA much? Do you want straighter lines? How do you cope with great circle routes?

51 minutes ago, bbl said:

Thanks for this input. I agree, for it to be interesting, I need to want something. Want to be somewhere. Make a hypothesis and check if it was right. I do this by marking loads of boats around me (by using the radar), and see if I come up ahead.

I never used router software before this VG VR, which is my first VR game. In this race I have often used the routing by setting the end point to where I want to go (for example east). Then I have sometimes removed small route changes that I don't understand. Can I ask how often do you change direction? Do you use TWA much? Do you want straighter lines? How do you cope with great circle routes?

I don't have a simple answer to that.  It depends on how fast the wind is shifting, how stable the conditions are, whether or not we're close to land, how busy I am with other things, etc...

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

I have "been working from home today" as work is shut down due to COVID infections.  Hence some extremely late reporting.

We are almost through the NE trades and starting to get into the influence of the of the Azores High.  There is a big low a long way to the NW which is creating a nice SW air flow along the western side of the high, but this is all going to change over the next few days.

Your Mom and most of the leading group have under 2,000Nm to go and should be home in about 6 days.  The eastern side of the group is heavily favoured in the rankings so I would not get too excited about your placing at the moment.  Wait until you are in the firmly established SWerlies and then start to think about it.

Further back @klymen made a prediction that he was coming to get you, and he seems to have overhauled everyone except the Hooded Fang.  Well played sir!

I'm not certain what is going to happen over the next few days.  I will try and check in when I can.

11-Jan      
09:00UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1962.76
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 16.4
3 Gufmiester BigBalls 30.3
4 Iced Tea rule69 44.6
5 daan62 hutspot77 47.9
6 yeahbuoy Cool J 48.1
7 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 49.7
8 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 49.8
9 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 49.8
10 Raz'r SVKahoots 50.5
11 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 51.6
12 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 52.2
13 Will Lee Lorraine III 52.7
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 53.7
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 55.2
16 12345 Siafu 55.3
17 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 57.9
18 TocToc Vuvuzela 60.7
19 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 69.1
20 viper43 viper64043 73.4
21 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 74.6
22 arr4ws Arr4ws 76.8
23 kea.nn kea.nn SA 81.1
24 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 84.2
25 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 93.1
26 gavinbpk PGB 104.2
27 sailon2 jahmbo SA 112.7
28 Flaming Flaming 118.8
29 SteveJH Stephen_1987 140.6
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 157.2
31 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 229.9
32 CordRipper RumHam 234.9
33 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 235.2
34 Mike G MikeVentura 245.2
35 bushsailor rushour 249.1
36 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 400.2
37 x2sea m2for-SA 2059
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2515
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2700
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 2892
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3202
42 klymen klymen 3301
43 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3377
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3425
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 3474
46 mad Sticky 3519
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3520
48 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3525
49 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3543
50 CapnK KR deCap 5018
51 MobyBick MobyBick 6631
52 Mid SA_Mid 7068
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Good. I see tournesol, tiki and tigrou have been covering you the whole way up the Atlantic. Tourne just managed to squeeze a bit more distance slightly closer to south Americs.

It's going to be a close finish.

Looks like your Westerly group will take the lead in the official VR ranking later today with not much more than 20 mile deficit and around 5k more speed. West is best. Though I am struggling to get out of the south Atlantic and heading east and still losing 20,000 places overnight. Thank heaven when I wake up it's only a virtual dream.

Tournesol and friends may briefly get to the lead, but we'll probably all be gybing soon and getting more northing in, so depending on how the rankings see that, it might still be a bit longer before the real race leaders stabilize at the top of the leaderboard.

Also, there's a decision point today about how exactly to approach the finale.  One could take a short little gybe and go fast toward Portugal in a narrow band of wind, or one could take a longer gybe north and approach the finish from Ouessant.  Zezo was favoring the Portugal route consistently until a day or so ago, and then suddenly decided that route wasn't going to get around the corner of Spain anymore, so it changed.  Anyone who decides to take the Portugal route will get a large lead over the next couple days.  Whether or not they can retain that remains to be seen.  Zezo thinks no.

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Tournesol and friends may briefly get to the lead, but we'll probably all be gybing soon and getting more northing in, so depending on how the rankings see that, it might still be a bit longer before the real race leaders stabilize at the top of the leaderboard.

Also, there's a decision point today about how exactly to approach the finale.  One could take a short little gybe and go fast toward Portugal in a narrow band of wind, or one could take a longer gybe north and approach the finish from Ouessant.  Zezo was favoring the Portugal route consistently until a day or so ago, and then suddenly decided that route wasn't going to get around the corner of Spain anymore, so it changed.  Anyone who decides to take the Portugal route will get a large lead over the next couple days.  Whether or not they can retain that remains to be seen.  Zezo thinks no.

Thank you for the insight. I don't envy your position having to make the choice. Sounds like it might split up your westerly group into smaller more manageable chunks though.

7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good afternoon,

I have "been working from home today" as work is shut down due to COVID infections.  Hence some extremely late reporting.

We are almost through the NE trades and starting to get into the influence of the of the Azores High.  There is a big low a long way to the NW which is creating a nice SW air flow along the western side of the high, but this is all going to change over the next few days.

Your Mom and most of the leading group have under 2,000Nm to go and should be home in about 6 days.  The eastern side of the group is heavily favoured in the rankings so I would not get too excited about your placing at the moment.  Wait until you are in the firmly established SWerlies and then start to think about it.

Further back @klymen made a prediction that he was coming to get you, and he seems to have overhauled everyone except the Hooded Fang.  Well played sir!

I'm not certain what is going to happen over the next few days.  I will try and check in when I can.

11-Jan      
09:00UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1962.76
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 16.4
3 Gufmiester BigBalls 30.3
4 Iced Tea rule69 44.6
5 daan62 hutspot77 47.9
6 yeahbuoy Cool J 48.1
7 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 49.7
8 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 49.8
9 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 49.8
10 Raz'r SVKahoots 50.5
11 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 51.6
12 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 52.2
13 Will Lee Lorraine III 52.7
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 53.7
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 55.2
16 12345 Siafu 55.3
17 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 57.9
18 TocToc Vuvuzela 60.7
19 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 69.1
20 viper43 viper64043 73.4
21 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 74.6
22 arr4ws Arr4ws 76.8
23 kea.nn kea.nn SA 81.1
24 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 84.2
25 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 93.1
26 gavinbpk PGB 104.2
27 sailon2 jahmbo SA 112.7
28 Flaming Flaming 118.8
29 SteveJH Stephen_1987 140.6
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 157.2
31 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 229.9
32 CordRipper RumHam 234.9
33 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 235.2
34 Mike G MikeVentura 245.2
35 bushsailor rushour 249.1
36 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 400.2
37 x2sea m2for-SA 2059
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2515
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2700
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 2892
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3202
42 klymen klymen 3301
43 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3377
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3425
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 3474
46 mad Sticky 3519
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3520
48 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3525
49 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3543
50 CapnK KR deCap 5018
51 MobyBick MobyBick 6631
52 Mid SA_Mid 7068
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx

Well, the right side paid in the short term (from 26th to 10th in this group in a couple days) but I'm about to crash and burn into the high. It was always a gamble, but about to fail.

Good morning,

Most of the leading pack have gybed north to get into better pressure, and are currently heading north in the low twenties, or high teens.  There is still a very strong bias towards being in the east as far as the rankings are concerned, take for example Me Rongu .... who is shown as 2nd, but is well to the south, compare his position with hutspot77 and I know where I could rather be.

We are going to run into a high in about 24 hrs time, which Zezo predicts will be a very short lived affair, then back into reasonably strong running conditions all the way to the pub.

The Corinthians are still having fun swapping places with regularity, playing with the high and generally tight reaching north and east.

12-Jan      
01:30UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 1807.86
2 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 8.49
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 15.8
4 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 25.9
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 36
6 daan62 hutspot77 37.1
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 37.8
8 Gufmiester BigBalls 38.8
9 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 38.9
10 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 39.9
11 Will Lee Lorraine III 42.3
12 12345 Siafu 42.4
13 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 43.1
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 43.4
15 Iced Tea rule69 44.1
16 arr4ws Arr4ws 48.3
17 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 50.7
18 TocToc Vuvuzela 52.1
19 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 57.7
20 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 60.1
21 viper43 viper64043 64.9
22 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 66.1
23 Raz'r SVKahoots 67.2
24 yeahbuoy Cool J 68.9
25 kea.nn kea.nn SA 74.6
26 gavinbpk PGB 79.6
27 sailon2 jahmbo SA 94.7
28 Flaming Flaming 105.4
29 SteveJH Stephen_1987 121.8
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 132.7
31 CordRipper RumHam 185.1
32 bushsailor rushour 192.3
33 Mike G MikeVentura 205.6
34 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 212.6
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 213.2
36 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 346.5
37 x2sea m2for-SA 2037
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2479
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2744
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 2931
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3089.1
42 klymen klymen 3191.9
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3353
44 Laser1 Hotfoot 3459.7
45 mad Sticky 3464.7
46 Wattie MuritaiWatt 3469.4
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3519.5
48 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3526.6
49 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3564.5
50 CapnK KR deCap 4897
51 MobyBick MobyBick 6502
52 Mid SA_Mid 6953
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx
  • Like 1

Given that Mom is so good at this virtual regatta, it is amazing the quality of the SA fleet that 26 of you are with 100 miles of him.

Well done you lot.

Ahh that hurts. 

My aim is to finish in the top 10 of the SA pack. 

Originally was hoping for top 5 but two unscheduled trips into the ice zone put paid to that dream 

Zezo is telling me I'm five days from finishing, won't know what to do with myself at the end. 

Sleep properly maybe? 

Sailing into a hole right now. 

things like taking your 19mth old to the Plastics Dr after she cracked her forehead open on the marble coffee table tend to have you miss time “on the wheel”. 

she is a okay and a little bad ass it seems. still have miles to go and maybe I’ll get a little lucky.

969EC74C-0C7F-46D5-AB7C-34DA698CD505.jpeg

• Like 1

Off watch missed a set, auto sails off in the hole lost hours to the pig boat. 4 days to claw back the 2 HOURS I Lost. As for mom I saw 24 hours ahead at one point in the lite stuff. Now I’m back here playing in the mans playpen... it’s just a game... it’s just a game.. it’s just a

On 1/9/2021 at 11:25 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

The left flew by and she slammed the right door while her father guarded the front door so....

On 1/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, Tunnel Rat said:

I banged the right corner hard (twice)

But her high pressure sister didn’t want to let go 

So I 

2 hours ago, Laser1 said:

@mad I'm sure this high is fucking with our heads.  Bobbing up and down and left and right.

That was not in the brochure 48 hours ago :wacko:

Was hoping to squirt through a gap in the middle, fucker just closed up on me!

Good morning,

Firstly @12345I am glad to hear your daughter is OK, scars are cool and chicks dig scars......errrr  - wait - never mind.

Anyway, back to the racing - everything is upside down today, or maybe back to front, I am not quite sure.  The main peloton has tracked north to get into the influence of the low in the central Atlantic.  This peloton has split into two, with one group going further north, the other gang heading east.  

Meanwhile another posse is taking advantage of some strong winds associated with a cold front to the west of the Azores High which is closer to Spain at the moment.  Those that have gone east are looking marvellous in the ranking, those that have gone north are looking pretty bad.  However the movement of that low is going to be critical to the outcome between these groups.  Definitely all to play for.

Rankings should be on time tomorrow.

13-Jan      
10:45UTC      
1 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 1298.29
2 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 38.8
3 arr4ws Arr4ws 74.1
4 sailon2 jahmbo SA 149.5
5 yeahbuoy Cool J 167.8
6 kea.nn kea.nn SA 188.2
7 Your Mom Your Mom SA 216.5
8 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 231