Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

2 hours ago, klymen said:

They need to de-tune these Virtual IMOCAs a bit. Despite a very late start, with no options except Hull Polish and the Code 0 (which has hardly been lowered the entire time), I'm only ~130NM back from on-the-water leader Dalin (APIVIA) and ~75NM astern of Hermann (Seaexplorer) who seems favoured for the moment in terms of winds and the less-broken boat.

i like to believe we are better sailors than these guys...thats why we are faster. it has nothing to due with any other factors.:lol:

• Like 4
1 minute ago, viper43 said:

i like to believe we are better sailors than these guys...thats why we are faster. it has nothing to due with any other factors.:lol:

Well I did wonder if we might have a slight advantage when I was picking my moment to gybe in 35 knots whilst sitting up in bed with a cup of tea, rather than being bounced around in an IMOCA in the southern Ocean...  

I also don't recall having to climb the mast to fix anything, or laminate new bits into my boat, but you know you only remember the good bits afterwards anyway right?

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Flaming said:

Well I did wonder if we might have a slight advantage when I was picking my moment to gybe in 35 knots whilst sitting up in bed with a cup of tea, rather than being bounced around in an IMOCA in the southern Ocean...  

I also don't recall having to climb the mast to fix anything, or laminate new bits into my boat, but you know you only remember the good bits afterwards anyway right?

Every gybe/tack/sailchange is perfect too. 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, daan62 said:

and seastate is irrelevant...

and currents are also irrelevant. But in my opinion the biggest advantage is no danger of breakage which allows us to go to areas with highest windspeed. Otherwise the polars seem not so bad compared to the 2016 performance.

• Like 2

If they want our boats to match the real ones, they need to make us a bit faster in reaching conditions under 20 kts windspeed, and then have our max speed be around 20 kts windspeed...  drop off to 12-14 kts when it's blowing 25, and 10 kts or less when it's blowing 30 or more.  Make us hunt for moderate conditions rather than hammering downwind in 30.  I'm not sure if it would be more fun or not, but it would be closer to the real boats.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

If they want our boats to match the real ones, they need to make us a bit faster in reaching conditions under 20 kts windspeed, and then have our max speed be around 20 kts windspeed...  drop off to 12-14 kts when it's blowing 25, and 10 kts or less when it's blowing 30 or more.  Make us hunt for moderate conditions rather than hammering downwind in 30.  I'm not sure if it would be more fun or not, but it would be closer to the real boats.

And a lot of people would have quit by now.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I wonder if they can add a land effect as well. Seems we can pass to the leeward of large islands with impunity. YM sailed straight past goose green in the Falklands with no perceptible drop off in speed.

26 minutes ago, 12345 said:

Is it bad to call a lay line this far out?

81B95940-C511-4BFC-9734-EC0BEC1BA77A.png

You'll land around Ushant if you bank on that. :lol:

5 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Didn’t the early version of the game have some attempt to make it a little more realistic? Sail damage or something? Trying to remember and failing badly!

I've heard yes, but that was at least 6 years ago because it was before I started.  I started with the 2014 VOR.  I think I heard that sail damage was a function in either the prior Clipper or prior VOR.  If I understand correctly, it was partly a function of wind conditions and usage time, but also partly random.  Which is both realistic and detrimental to keeping paying customers involved.

• Like 1

One thing the BIG BUG that burned me three times auto sails turns off before a 24 hrs run... cost me 2 hrs in a hole... 3500 to now 5000*

18 hours ago,  klymen 

They need to de-tune these Virtual IMOCAs a bit. Despite a very late start, with no options except Hull Polish and the Code 0 (which has hardly been lowered the entire time), I'm only ~130NM back from on-the-water leader Dalin (APIVIA) and ~75NM astern of Hermann (Seaexplorer) who seems favoured for the moment in terms of winds and the less-broken boat.

Soon after the start the paying Frenchys were all complaining and quitting the game after seeing the “Real Fleet “ smoking  past them!  Same old same old as I see it. Polars predicting boat speed with out current, waves and the hours to execute a  jibe or tack on the real boats is a problem.. Maneuvering vboat speed drops measured in minutes is a joke.

Good afternoon,

It looks like @Your Mom will be finished in 3 or 4 hours, he is currently 20th which is a brilliant result, although I know he was hoping for higher.  shockwave11 is only 5Nm behind, but in 129th which I think is rather harsh for an excellent performance.  huttspot77 and I are still neck and neck for third, although he seems to be going remarkably fast for sailing lower in less wind - but then life is a bitch!

The peloton is still climbing over each other to get the best finish place and the Fat Lady is only just starting to think about getting out of her comfy chair, so things may change.  

Quite a few changes have happened in the following group, they are now heading towards the bar, but lots of opportunities in front of them.

I will not post an update tomorrow, but I will get finish times organised on Monday.

Enjoy your weekend.

TR

16-Jan      
04:45UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 78.03
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 4.85
3 daan62 hutspot77 88.8
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 94.4
5 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 96.1
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 97.1
7 Will Lee Lorraine III 98.2
8 12345 Siafu 101.1
9 MasterRobin MasterRobin 101.9
10 Gufmiester BigBalls 105
11 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 106.3
12 Iced Tea rule69 107.2
13 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 109.8
14 TocToc Vuvuzela 112.7
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 117.9
16 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 130.9
17 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 172.8
18 viper43 viper64043 190.9
19 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 211.7
20 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 345.3
21 kea.nn kea.nn SA 427.7
22 yeahbuoy Cool J 432.3
23 gavinbpk PGB 454.3
24 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 481.5
25 sailon2 jahmbo SA 488.1
26 arr4ws Arr4ws 496.1
27 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 533.4
28 SteveJH Stephen_1987 541.7
29 Raz'r SVKahoots 550.3
30 Flaming Flaming 558.5
31 F15 AUS AUS3572 579.3
32 Mike G MikeVentura 630.7
33 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 734.3
34 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 776.6
35 CordRipper RumHam 789.6
36 bushsailor rushour 802.3
37 x2sea m2for-SA 2569
38 Headntac Ryoochi 3045
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 3430
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 3476
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3651
42 klymen klymen 3716
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3840
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 4363
45 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 4566
46 Laser1 Hotfoot 4633
47 mad Sticky 4716
48 Wattie MuritaiWatt 4752
49 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 4753
50 CapnK KR deCap 5564
51 MobyBick MobyBick 7231
52 Mid SA_Mid 7xxx
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx
  • Like 5

Brilliant effort YM and Shockie. 

I am of Recife and zezo is giving me pretty diverse options when set at 5, 7 and 9 days (see below). 

Destination is set about where I can see the myriad little dots if the fleet ahead. 

Any thoughts (I know YM favoured the west). 

Screenshot_20210116-104241_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-104225_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-105253_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

i have a boat slightly ahead of you and am favoring west. looking ahead a week there doesnt look to be a a big low pressure to hook onto yet north of the tradewinds. however i learned with my other boat (which is approx 5 hours from the finish) that too far east can be a killer (i lost 5000 spots being east vs the peloton). earlier in the thread mom described that the odds are in your favor to hedge your bets to the west.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 9.12.33 AM.png

51 minutes ago, viper43 said:

i have a boat slightly ahead of you and am favoring west. looking ahead a week there doesnt look to be a a big low pressure to hook onto yet north of the tradewinds. however i learned with my other boat (which is approx 5 hours from the finish) that too far east can be a killer (i lost 5000 spots being east vs the peloton). earlier in the thread mom described that the odds are in your favor to hedge your bets to the west.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 9.12.33 AM.png

I agree, somehow the west really kicked in and all the boats inside lost miles. So I will favour the west and see how it goes.

1 hour ago, 12345 said:

Well that sucks! Slept in and just checked my boat... who ran aground... 5 min ago. 

fuck me

Ooook HaHaHa I  saw what you did. Been there done that most recently in the prolog...I had written  you off as beating me with no hope of passing you. Brings back a old saying. There are many ways of beating someone in a yacht  race!   Going away from the finish after you got off will add a few thousand too! So what did that cost you? 5000+  places?

Next time get the one with wheels, the amphibious option for your vboat...  B)

4 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Brilliant effort YM and Shockie. 

I am of Recife and zezo is giving me pretty diverse options when set at 5, 7 and 9 days (see below). 

Destination is set about where I can see the myriad little dots if the fleet ahead. 

Screenshot_20210116-104241_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-104225_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210116-105253_Chrome.jpg

As the isobars look fastest straight north in your position. I’d just set auto sails on, auto helm off and head true North and forget about it for a while. 
Your mom said forecasts beyond three days change... check it later to see a better forecast. Now you are set up great to just go north now.

48 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

As the isobars look fastest straight north in your position. I’d just set auto sails on, auto helm off and head true North and forget about it for a while. 
Your mom said forecasts beyond three days change... check it later to see a better forecast. Now you are set up great to just go north now.

That was a fun race, and I'm happy with 23rd.  Of course I wanted to win, but I beat all of the boats I regularly track, and the boats who beat me simply pushed the West very hard, while West paid persistently.  All good.  The last day or so, I was happy to move from 30th to 18th, but I knew I'd have to give some back at the end when I was going to have to sail higher than TWA 100 to get to the finish.  Crazy how close the first few boats ahead and behind me were.  There was a lot of fleet compression in the last day or so, allowing me to close on the leader from an hour to 9 minutes.  tigrou is experienced and skilled, and did an outstanding job to win it.

Regarding Driftwood's question...  I always run my routings with 16 days, and then I look at the isochrones and adjust my destination.  From that position, if you route to the finish, it looks like it wants to take an aggressive West route, as far as 44W.  So then I ask myself "why is it doing that", and I also look at the isochrones near the finish to see if it encounters a light patch with a fork of isochrones around it (ie, two options, where I should pick a side and route to that side) or anything else like that.  So...  It looks like it currently believes you'll have a stable ride going ENE once you get past 25N or so, about 5 days from now.  So it's wanting to to get up to that stable ride ASAP, and it believes the fastest way to get there is an aggressive West route.  If you look 8-10 days in the future, the area near your current destination is going to be light, while the area West of there will have 20 kts.  If you sail to that spot, your routings will get you there nicely, but if that forecast holds, the boats West of you will freighttrain by.

Personally, I'd go ahead and do that.  I tend to enjoy routes like that anyway.  But...  I'd also approach it with a short term tactical mindset...  None of your routings are looking for a hard turn West immediately.  They're looking more to go North for 24-36 hours, and then either turn West or go more North, or in one case push more East.  So...  just work North for a day, and reassess tomorrow.  As time goes by, the forecast for the North Atlantic will stabilize, so your routing will become more definitive.  Have a plan, but keep your options open in your mind for now.

With that said, once you commit, don't be indecisive about it.  When there's a fork in the road, take it.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
52 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

That was a fun race, and I'm happy with 23rd.  Of course I wanted to win, but I beat all of the boats I regularly track, and the boats who beat me simply pushed the West very hard, while West paid persistently.  All good.  The last day or so, I was happy to move from 30th to 18th, but I knew I'd have to give some back at the end when I was going to have to sail higher than TWA 100 to get to the finish.  Crazy how close the first few boats ahead and behind me were.  There was a lot of fleet compression in the last day or so, allowing me to close on the leader from an hour to 9 minutes.  tigrou is experienced and skilled, and did an outstanding job to win it.

Regarding Driftwood's question...  I always run my routings with 16 days, and then I look at the isochrones and adjust my destination.  From that position, if you route to the finish, it looks like it wants to take an aggressive West route, as far as 44W.  So then I ask myself "why is it doing that", and I also look at the isochrones near the finish to see if it encounters a light patch with a fork of isochrones around it (ie, two options, where I should pick a side and route to that side) or anything else like that.  So...  It looks like it currently believes you'll have a stable ride going ENE once you get past 25N or so, about 5 days from now.  So it's wanting to to get up to that stable ride ASAP, and it believes the fastest way to get there is an aggressive West route.  If you look 8-10 days in the future, the area near your current destination is going to be light, while the area West of there will have 20 kts.  If you sail to that spot, your routings will get you there nicely, but if that forecast holds, the boats West of you will freighttrain by.

Personally, I'd go ahead and do that.  I tend to enjoy routes like that anyway.  But...  I'd also approach it with a short term tactical mindset...  None of your routings are looking for a hard turn West immediately.  They're looking more to go North for 24-36 hours, and then either turn West or go more North, or in one case push more East.  So...  just work North for a day, and reassess tomorrow.  As time goes by, the forecast for the North Atlantic will stabilize, so your routing will become more definitive.  Have a plan, but keep your options open in your mind for now.

With that said, once you commit, don't be indecisive about it.  When there's a fork in the road, take it.

sometimes when at a moment where decisions are made that will possibly split the field i also change my starting point in the routing. this to see what the more reliant option is. sometimes there is just a tiny window to get to another system and it all looks nice until you just mis it...

what you described was particularly important when going south around Helena and coming back into the atlantic after cape horn.

3 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Ooook HaHaHa I  saw what you did. Been there done that most recently in the prolog...I had written  you off as beating me with no hope of passing you. Brings back a old saying. There are many ways of beating someone in a yacht  race!   Going away from the finish after you got off will add a few thousand too! So what did that cost you? 5000+  places?

Next time get the one with wheels, the amphibious option for your vboat...  B)

lol, I looked at 3 am and had the boat pointed straight to the finish, not locked in just right on the mark... woke up literally 5 min after running aground. Had already corrected before the game sent me a note. 

Lovely glitch in the system that bumped me a mile north despite being pointed on the finish line. 

I want my money back! 

3500 places give or take 

• Like 1

Run aground so many times that now whenever I get close to land I switch to waypoints or compass course, no AWA for me!

great race everyone and thanks to TR for the results and YM for his expertise

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

@ wenchfodder: One basic thing to always remember is changing your Longitude is expensive in miles and time at the equator..As you get more North Latitude or South Latitude, the longitude lines get closer.

At the tip of South America you can very cheaply go west or east in longitude very fast in a short time  at hi latitudes.

In your case going for wind later and going north now will pay dividends in closer longitude lines to get east or west the further north you go....

3 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

@ wenchfodder: One basic thing to always remember is changing your Longitude is expensive in miles and time at the equator..As you get more North Latitude or South Latitude, the longitude lines get closer.

At the tip of South America you very cheaply go west or east in longitude very fast in a short time  at hi latitudes.

In your case going for wind later and going north will pay dividends in closer longitude lines to get east or west...

Wow. I had not thought that through. Thank you. I know I am always plunging deep as possible in the southern ocean to speed my way across those lines of longitude, but I completely forgot the opposite is the case near the equator where you want to be knocking off the lines of latitude as quickly as possible by steering due north.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Wow. I had not thought that through

Yeah, I had the same 'ah ha' moment very early in running south. The map is in Mercator Projection (as most are) so it distorts the actual distances on both sides of the equation. Longitudes look the same at different lats., but they have different distances moving away from the equator. Conversely lons. look longer heading further N/S of the equator, but they are essentially the same distances running straight down them. Definitely need to keep that in the back of your mind.

I got the top spot in my city and state.  That’s pretty cool.  And thank the Lord for the breeze at the end.  I was ready for it to be done.  69 days is to long for me.  Much respect for the actual sailors and all they have to handle sailing that race. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1

Anyone else on the Jules Verne Trophy course? The South Atlantic/Indian looks like it's going to be a really fast run coming up. Projected to have 30+ kn sailing for days and days. 

2 hours ago, PB2207 said:

Anyone else on the Jules Verne Trophy course? The South Atlantic/Indian looks like it's going to be a really fast run coming up. Projected to have 30+ kn sailing for days and days. 

18,235th at  Cap de Bonne-Espérance in JV after 33,000+ at equator, now way south and going quickly.

Will finish tomorrow in Vendée somewhere in mid 37,000s, happy with this as made mistakes at Cap Horn that had me st 58,000+. 

Enjoyed Vendée, great fun.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

18,235th at  Cap de Bonne-Espérance in JV after 33,000+ at equator, now way south and going quickly.

Will finish tomorrow in Vendée somewhere in mid 37,000s, happy with this as made mistakes at Cap Horn that had me st 58,000+. 

Enjoyed Vendée, great fun.

Congrats on the soon VG finish, I've still got a ways to go on that one. I crossed the equator in the JVT in 850th closely shadowing the leader group. However a large contingent set off with the IRL Maxi Edmond de Rothschild behind us and they are the lead group now. Everyone looks to be set up nicely to catch a strong breeze SE. It's nice to be sailing something with a little more speed after slogging through that Tara race.

1 minute ago, PB2207 said:

Congrats on the soon VG finish, I've still got a ways to go on that one. I crossed the equator in the JVT in 850th closely shadowing the leader group. However a large contingent set off with the IRL Maxi Edmond de Rothschild behind us and they are the lead group now. Everyone looks to be set up nicely to catch a strong breeze SE. It's nice to be sailing something with a little more speed after slogging through that Tara race.

I had a 24 hour Tara run of 37.2 miles, I considered restarting with Gitana  but decided to just carry on. My wife and I are collaborating and have had an enjoyable and surprisingly stress free trip (thus far).

4 hours ago, PB2207 said:

I'm projected to get to CoGH under 13 days, which might be good for the lead to that gate.  I'm 8th at Equator.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I'm projected to get to CoGH under 13 days, which might be good for the lead to that gate.  I'm 8th at Equator.

Superbe, bravo! May I inquire did you start with Gitana?

Good morning, 

Back to the Vendee for a moment.  

Firstly - nicely done to @Your Mom , a class act!  Thanks for your input to the thread.

shockwave11 - you sailed a great race.

hutspot77 - you unspeakable rogue - I'll get you next time! Well played.

There are some very close finishes in the peleton - good racing all round.

BigBalls went east near the Azores and lost a lot of places, I was surprised to end up in front of you.

Siafu, tough break, but I think all of us have done something similar at some stage.

Vibroman - where are you off to? A quick NW Passage, for the hell of it?

Thanks to everyone for playing.  I'll probably do some updates over the next few days. EDIT, I will probably be taking some time away from VR - too much recently.

18-Jan                
01:15UTC                
Place SA Name Boat Name DTF Days Hours Minutes Seconds Overall Finish
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA   68 22 25 45 23
2 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11   0 0 12 3 126
3 daan62 hutspot77   0 2 58 54 2202
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel   0 3 4 35 2440
5 Will Lee Lorraine III   0 3 12 50 2853
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey   0 3 14 29 2928
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC   0 3 20 18 3210
8 MasterRobin MasterRobin   0 3 20 50 3249
9 Gufmiester BigBalls   0 3 28 8 3648
10 Wet Hog WetHog-SA   0 3 28 36 3675
11 Iced Tea rule69   0 3 35 51 4039
12 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA   0 3 39 30 4221
13 TocToc Vuvuzela   0 3 45 45 4541
14 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA   0 4 28 45 6046
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA   0 4 37 15 6263
16 12345 Siafu   0 5 26 53 7273
17 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat   0 6 42 32 8236
18 viper43 viper64043   0 8 40 1 8820
19 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse   0 11 1 8 9366
20 RIGO Screaming_Eagle   0 22 21 8 11333
21 kea.nn kea.nn SA   1 5 14 45 15428
22 yeahbuoy Cool J   1 7 58 17 16694
23 gavinbpk PGB   1 14 30 24 17688
24 ttc546 ChrisAero2542 101.61          
25 sailon2 jahmbo SA 5.25          
26 arr4ws Arr4ws 6.02          
27 Raz'r SVKahoots 22.3          
28 SteveJH Stephen_1987 49.4          
29 Flaming Flaming 132.2          
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 165          
31 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 187          
32 bushsailor rushour 211.3          
33 Mike G MikeVentura 217.6          
34 CordRipper RumHam 242.6          
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 288.1          
36 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 974.2          
37 x2sea m2for-SA 2029          
38 Headntac Ryoochi 2552          
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 2940          
40 bbl Gjallarhorn 2947          
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3087          
42 klymen klymen 3103          
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3144          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3801          
45 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3995          
46 Laser1 Hotfoot 4062          
47 mad Sticky 4144          
48 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 4177          
49 Wattie MuritaiWatt 4197          
50 CapnK KR deCap 5211          
51 Mid SA_Mid 6783          
52 MobyBick MobyBick 7xxx          
53 gary Hschutz 12xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 13xxx          

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1
25 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Your group is definitely the strongest right now. I'm down around 44S,30W with a group that was the leaders until you guys came down, they're around 400th place now in the equator leg. You guy's have gained at least 24hrs. on us since the equator though, slow for us passing by Brazil. We are set up right in front of this system that's about to blow down 50S for the next few days though so hopefully that stays strong and slingshots us to good weather south of Leeuwin. By the by, I can't seem to route much further than that for some reason in zezo. It either wants to find a route the wrong way around the world or just doesn't route anything if I set the destination out more than 200ish hours. Any tips to trick it into making it do what I want or do I have to wait until heading East makes more sense to zezo than heading west? 

1 hour ago, PB2207 said:

Your group is definitely the strongest right now. I'm down around 44S,30W with a group that was the leaders until you guys came down, they're around 400th place now in the equator leg. You guy's have gained at least 24hrs. on us since the equator though, slow for us passing by Brazil. We are set up right in front of this system that's about to blow down 50S for the next few days though so hopefully that stays strong and slingshots us to good weather south of Leeuwin. By the by, I can't seem to route much further than that for some reason in zezo. It either wants to find a route the wrong way around the world or just doesn't route anything if I set the destination out more than 200ish hours. Any tips to trick it into making it do what I want or do I have to wait until heading East makes more sense to zezo than heading west? 

Just keep heading East.  Zezo being unable to route backwards is actually the explanation...  Keeping in mind measurements of distances if you were to travel directly over Antarctica, routings that go most of too far around the planet can mathematically require "sailing backwards" in ways that aren't obvious on a 2D map.

I've also seen cases where it occasionally prefers to send you Westabout to get to your destination.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I've also seen cases where it occasionally prefers to send you Westabout to get to your destination.

Yeah this is what was happening and it makes sense. Once the red 'great circle' line in zezo gets close to the south pole it gets itself turned around and says 'go west to get to your destination faster', because technically that's the fastest way. There's good wind projected below Australia, but it's too close to the South Pole and too far out to project properly in zezo right now. Thanks for the advice. 

Finished Vendée in 36,122 place, 71d 8 h 31m 52s. Distance 27,644 nm.

PB  i having same issue with zezo in JV, I am 62S and it is routing me via the pole.

Rough and ready rankings.

19-Jan                
06:30UTC              
24 arr4ws Arr4ws   2 5 1 58  
25 ttc546 ChrisAero2542   2 5 28 27  
26 sailon2 jahmbo SA   2 5 39 49  
27 Raz'r SVKahoots   2 6 42 55  
28 SteveJH Stephen_1987   2 6 49 24  
29 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA   2 10 42 57  
30 bushsailor rushour   2 11 50 51  
31 F15 AUS AUS3572   2 12 29 54  
32 Flaming Flaming   2 12 45 49  
33 Mike G MikeVentura   2 13 11 45  
34 CordRipper RumHam   2 13 16 42  
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine   2 16 43 33  
36 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 1806.92          
37 x2sea m2for-SA 132          
38 Headntac Ryoochi 538          
39 bbl Gjallarhorn 1012          
40 PB2207 Chi-2207 1041          
41 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 1148          
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 1157          
43 klymen klymen 1180          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 1740          
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 1932          
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 1941          
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2050          
48 Wattie MuritaiWatt 2075          
49 mad Sticky 2079          
50 CapnK KR deCap 3212          
51 Mid SA_Mid 4901          
53 gary Hschutz 12xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 13xxx          
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Rough and ready rankings.

19-Jan                
06:30UTC              
24 arr4ws Arr4ws   2 5 1 58  
25 ttc546 ChrisAero2542   2 5 28 27  
26 sailon2 jahmbo SA   2 5 39 49  
27 Raz'r SVKahoots   2 6 42 55  
28 SteveJH Stephen_1987   2 6 49 24  
29 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA   2 10 42 57  
30 bushsailor rushour   2 11 50 51  
31 F15 AUS AUS3572   2 12 29 54  
32 Flaming Flaming   2 12 45 49  
33 Mike G MikeVentura   2 13 11 45  
34 CordRipper RumHam   2 13 16 42  
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine   2 16 43 33  
36 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 1806.92          
37 x2sea m2for-SA 132          
38 Headntac Ryoochi 538          
39 bbl Gjallarhorn 1012          
40 PB2207 Chi-2207 1041          
41 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 1148          
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 1157          
43 klymen klymen 1180          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 1740          
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 1932          
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 1941          
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2050          
48 Wattie MuritaiWatt 2075          
49 mad Sticky 2079          
50 CapnK KR deCap 3212          
51 Mid SA_Mid 4901          
53 gary Hschutz 12xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 13xxx          

Just missed out on top ten. 

Looking at it, wonder if I could have cracked top five without my two wanders into the ice zone under AUS? 

Great race everyone, well sailed @Your Mom, and thanks for keeping us updated all the way round @Tunnel Rat

I am very happy to have finished 25th in the SA group, 22,671 overall - for my first experience using VR and without using any routing software like Zezo, and then a detour to Nemo - purely using my own decisions by viewing the VR forecasts (no VIP) and also no forward Waypoint routing either. Tho next time I might ;-)

My partner will be glad that I can now pay more attention to her for a while  ;-)

Good morning,

No one has managed to finish since the last update. It is looking slow at the moment for everyone in the mid Atlantic, things should speed up soon for m2for after his interesting quadrilateral.

Mid has made it around the Horn and is chasing the rest of the pack in the S Atlantic. It will be interesting to see if Sticky's eastern route will pay off, I have my doubts!

20-Jan                
01:30UTC                
24 arr4ws Arr4ws   2 5 1 58 21927
25 ttc546 ChrisAero2542   2 5 28 27 22671
26 sailon2 jahmbo SA   2 5 39 49 23093
27 Raz'r SVKahoots   2 6 42 55 25949
28 SteveJH Stephen_1987   2 6 49 24 26185
29 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA   2 10 42 57 38366
30 bushsailor rushour   2 11 50 51 41602
31 F15 AUS AUS3572   2 12 29 54 43229
32 Flaming Flaming   2 12 45 49 43894
33 Mike G MikeVentura   2 13 11 45 44881
34 CordRipper RumHam   2 13 16 42 45057
35 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine   2 16 43 33 48843
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1882.76          
37 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 140.1          
38 Headntac Ryoochi 270.9          
39 bbl Gjallarhorn 749.1          
40 PB2207 Chi-2207 811.6          
41 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 871.1          
42 klymen klymen 910.4          
43 rhenders The Hooded Fang 923          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 1390          
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 1563          
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 1577          
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 1663.4          
48 mad Sticky 1665.7          
49 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1730.1          
50 CapnK KR deCap 2987          
51 Mid SA_Mid 4587          
52 MobyBick MobyBick 5xxx          
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx          
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

No one has managed to finish since the last update. It is looking slow at the moment for everyone in the mid Atlantic, things should speed up soon for m2for after his interesting quadrilateral.

Mid has made it around the Horn and is chasing the rest of the pack in the S Atlantic. It will be interesting to see if Sticky's eastern route will pay off, I have my doubts!

20-Jan                
01:30UTC                
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1882.76          
37 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 140.1          
38 Headntac Ryoochi 270.9          
39 bbl Gjallarhorn 749.1          
40 PB2207 Chi-2207 811.6          
41 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 871.1          
42 klymen klymen 910.4          
43 rhenders The Hooded Fang 923          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 1390          
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 1563          
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 1577          
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 1663.4          
48 mad Sticky 1665.7          
49 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1730.1          
50 CapnK KR deCap 2987          
51 Mid SA_Mid 4587          
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx          

Very nice of you to take the time to do this, next time I hope I can be included as was unaware. Félicitations pour un travail bien fait!

24 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Very nice of you to take the time to do this, next time I hope I can be included as was unaware. Félicitations pour un travail bien fait!

Look out for the thread on the next big VR event, then just ask.  Merci pour vos bon mots.

Good morning,

m2for is still quite a distance from the finish.  Vibroman has planted himself into the coast of Labrador, and mid is hoping to find the young lady that Kenny was oggling at, to see if she had any tips on routing.

Next update on monday.

22-Jan                
01:00UTC                
36 x2sea m2for-SA 1482          
37 Headntac Ryoochi 444          
38 bbl Gjallarhorn 547          
39 PB2207 Chi-2207 631          
40 klymen klymen 739          
41 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 770          
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 774          
43 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 1047          
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 1309          
45 Laser1 Hotfoot 1422          
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 1424          
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 1480          
48 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1593          
49 mad Sticky 1621          
50 CapnK KR deCap 2974          
51 Mid SA_Mid 4490          
53 gary Hschutz 10xxx          
54 Vin Divided Sky 12xxx          
  • Like 2

Is there a place that lists the offshore Virtual Regattas that are coming the next half year or so? 

I've tried to google this several times, but failed!

Just wondering if the VR weather model with the in house router is using the same data as zezo. 

The reason I ask is because I often get quite different outcomes. I know YM says he just uses zezo, but I do find it quicker to use the VR router as I haven't figured out how to link VR with zezo.

2 hours ago, bbl said:

Is there a place that lists the offshore Virtual Regattas that are coming the next half year or so? 

I've tried to google this several times, but failed!

Click on the calendar in the VR app, shows upcoming regattas.

3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Just wondering if the VR weather model with the in house router is using the same data as zezo. 

The reason I ask is because I often get quite different outcomes. I know YM says he just uses zezo, but I do find it quicker to use the VR router as I haven't figured out how to link VR with zezo.

Zezo uses the same weather as the VR game, and hopefully it's safe to assume the VR router uses the same weather as the game...  So I'm pretty confident they're using the same weather.  But they presumably use entirely different algorithms.  I don't know what destinations or goals are built into the VR router.  For example, perhaps it's just trying to get you as far down-course as possible in the next 24 or 48 or 120 hours or something like that.  That would produce very different results from doing a 16-day routing toward the next mark.

If you want to be able to adopt the routing without scheduling any maneuvers manually, then you're correct that the VR router is the only way to do it.  They have a rule against bots (an  important rule, which they enforce)...  Any attempt by someone to automate a feed of scheduled maneuvers from an outside source, such as Zezo, would violate the bot rule.  Besides...  The game is more fun when you're applying personal input to your maneuvers rather than clicking through to have a router do it for you.

1 hour ago, Jean-Baptiste said:

Click on the calendar in the VR app, shows upcoming regattas.

Unfortunately, that's the only place, and it's often empty.  My sense is that they occasionally have a meeting internally, lay out a schedule, and then suddenly fill it in.  A year ago, that calendar actually had a year's worth of races loaded into it.  It was their run-up to Vendee.  During Vendee, though, they didn't show anything in there.

Good news, though...  They seem to have recently loaded new races in there.  Most of them are annual events...  C600, Solo Maitre Coq, NCR, and Les Sables Horta are all regular events in VR.  I'm not sure about the Transat St. Barth.  Several fo these events, for better or worse, are a totally different experience from the long offshore events like Vendee and VOR.  They're short coastal sprints with tricky maneuvers around turning marks and headlands, with short-tacking and short-gybing critical, where long-term forecasts are mostly irrelevant.  I particularly enjoy those races.  I've won a C600 and finished top 20 in C600, SMC, and NCR multiple times.  I don't recall doing Horta.  I think after the madness of the other three, I usually decide to opt out of Horta.  They're intense races (if you care where you finish), so they won't be fun if that isn't what you're looking for.

They'll probably add some record events like Jules Verne to the schedule soon.  The last couple years, they've run those on a rolling basis, with a new one opening as soon as the prior one closes, and they've put the whole year's schedule up early in the year.  LA-Honolulu (which I've won the last two years), Honolulu-Yokohama, something  that goes...  China to London, or something like that...  NY-SF...  And a Mediterranean sprint.  But they pushed back Jules Verne by more than a month for Vendee, so their regular schedule is out of whack, so I'm guessing they're re-assessing the plan and will post it when they sort it out.

As the year goes on, they'll add occasional events, so it's worthwhile to check the calendar occasionally.  Usually, the adds are real-life events who negotiate to have VR run in parallel, which of course wouldn't go into the calendar until the negotiation is settled.

The thing is, though...  VR always drops in random events that weren't planned.  So they show up in the game's home screen without ever previously being in the calendar.  The two tataocean events, and the new Sydney-Auckland event, were all like this.  I'm not doing Tara, but I might do Sydney-Auckland.

The new world ranking system is pretty much just an accumulation of points, and it isn't going to have any escalation of points earned for excellent finishes.  The difference between 1st and 10th is the same as the difference between 93,231st and 93,240th...  9 points.  So it will heavily reward participation over performance.  So I will no longer have any interest in maintaining a high world ranking.  I have no interest in entering every event they run, and I had a year at #1 a couple years ago anyway.  I'm just gonna do the stuff I find fun.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

The new world ranking system is pretty much just an accumulation of points, and it isn't going to have any escalation of points earned for excellent finishes.  The difference between 1st and 10th is the same as the difference between 93,231st and 93,240th...  9 points.  So it will heavily reward participation over performance.  So I will no longer have any interest in maintaining a high world ranking.  I have no interest in entering every event they run, and I had a year at #1 a couple years ago anyway.  I'm just gonna do the stuff I find fun.

The new system seems a financial decision, I not agree more, do fun and enjoy.

Your Mom, what a vr CV! I am impressed! 

And thanks for your explanation.

I think they could cap the number of races counted per person and year. For example each player's 10 best races are counted. Would that work? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bbl said:

Your Mom, what a vr CV! I am impressed! 

And thanks for your explanation.

I think they could cap the number of races counted per person and year. For example each player's 10 best races are counted. Would that work? 

A variety of schemes could work well.  Something like that would be a good option, if their goal was solely to make it a quality ranking system.  I like the way the Official World Golf Rankings are calculated (real world professional golf's rankings) as a model for what could work well.  It has some elements like that.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Zezo uses the same weather as the VR game, and hopefully it's safe to assume the VR router uses the same weather as the game..

You may have seen it since I see you post there but over in a Zezo thread they're discussing that NOMADS is down and both zezo and VR  weather aren't in sync with IRL conditions and may not be for some time. At some point it will be resolved and a drastic shift will have to ha