Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

A 20 degree oscillating header rolls across the fleet over the next 6 hours. Right now I’m headed for a waypoint but want to keep my speed up and not sail higher than 50 degrees. I assume there’s no way to program it to change to apparent wind when you get headed?  I actually have to sail this thing?

7 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

A 20 degree oscillating header rolls across the fleet over the next 6 hours. Right now I’m headed for a waypoint but want to keep my speed up and not sail higher than 50 degrees. I assume there’s no way to program it to change to apparent wind when you get headed?  I actually have to sail this thing?

You can definitely do that.

First off...  In the main screen, the little lock icon will lock you into a TWA angle instead of sailing a fixed compass course.

But...  To schedule things.. Go into the "Expert" menu in the bottom right corner.  Choose the leftmost icon inside that (programmation).  In there, you can schedule a future TWA course.  So...  For the example you're talking about, you could set a fixed compass course for now, and then schedule a TWA course later.  I often do that.  In fact, right now, I'm sailing compass 280, until it comes forward to TWA 80, at which point I lock at TWA 80 for a few hours.  Then I go to compass 282 until it comes forward to TWA 45.  Then I go a couple hours and tack to TWA 45 the other way.  I don't always schedule 4 programmations in a row like that, but sometimes I do, especially if I'll be busy.  (In this case, cooking dinner, spending time with the family, and then getting some sleep).

If you're sailing on credits only, you'll have a max of 2 programmations at a time.  If you have Full Pack, 9, which is plenty.  If you have VIP (which I've never paid for), then 15.

With that all said...  you mentioned a waypoint.  The second icon in the Expert area is for Waypoints.  You can use those to route point-to-point.  The one big limitation is...  You can't pre-program a change from one style to the other.  You can have waypoints going, or you can have programmations going.  (Or neither).  You can't tell it to sail to a waypoint and then switch to a TWA course.  So...  If that was your question, the answer is no.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:45 AM, Kenny Dumas said:

I’m just using the free points so far.  Is there a class of SA’rs that race the cheap boats?  Or is there a way to sort for similar boats?  Or do you guys all just buy the full pack?  I was down to 9000+ place in the Bermuda race till I got the light air jib and worked the pressure on the right to crawl back to sub 5000. It wasn’t much fun watching boats sail by without knowing their setup. 

SA_Kenny Dumas

Yes, me :P

I’m way too tight to spend money on an online game, thats drinking money. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, blz said:

Hi all;

Anarchist sailors might be interested by alternative non-commercial sailing games that run the Vendée Globe ?

- Virtual Loup de Mer https://v-l-m.org/ is much like VR (with interpolated winds), completly free, and with a lot of nice tools like the qtvlm router

- regattagame http://www.regattagame.net runs with "cells winds" (1° usually) and has only two wind changes a day. A 20 euros a year contribution gives you more scheduler points (12 instead of 5) and the use of the double scheduler. The VG will start tonight at 20h00 UTC+1 on regattagame.

Fair winds wherever you sail !

Oh look, the troll is back.:P

I got all the bells and whistles just because.  I’m at the north of the main group.  Plotted a course to the Azores to miss the dead spot that is forecast of Portugal and this is where Zezo took me.  We shall see how it all shakes out. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

51 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Thanks again Mom, really helpful

How do we create a class?  Maybe a Polish yacht club, group or team?  Should we go polishing only or all add the same sails within our free credit budget?  It would be great fun to race class (duh)  

The game has Teams now, and if someone wants to form a team and people want to join it, that would be the smoothest thing.  I won't be joining the team, though, because I swore a couple years ago that I'd never join one (because people ask me to join their teams constantly).  It's possible to get a Yacht Club, but you have to ask VR to create it, and I don't think they're likely to pay attention to requests in the short term.

Of course, anyone can simply "follow" everyone else if they want.  Would just need to note all the boat names and add each.

Unless someone has a worse idea or name, maybe I create a team so we can easily keep track of each other named:

Anarchy Freeloaders

Cheap Anarchists

Suggestions???

Since this is Anarchy, there’s only one rule:

For now, how about only polished foils while we pick a package  I’ve got 911 permanent credits plus 1320 “for this race only” so could pick up any one of the 3 sail packages:

Code zero 2040

Light air  1800

Heavy air 1440

If everyone has 2040, let’s get the zero 

• Like 1

Hello,

Welcome to 70 odd days of misery and despair.

Here is a rough and ready ranking at about 01:00UTC on Monday 9th Nov.

Due to the marvels of the VR search system there are a few boats that I cannot find.  Please follow me "Mongrel" and I will add you to the list.

Please also bear in mind that these rankings mean absolutely nothing as most people are not heading towards the first turning mark and are only likely to cause unreasonable frustration or unjustified confidence.....  Enjoy!

Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Vin Divided Sky 23110.87
2 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 1.64
3 kea.nn kea.nn SA 4.49
4 Mid SA_Mid 5.23
5 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 14.3
6 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 15.1
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 16.1
8 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 16.2
9 Iced Tea rule69 17.5
10 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 17.9
11 Gufmiester Big Balls 18.4
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 18.9
13 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 19
14 Your Mom Your Mom SA 19.2
15 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 19.7
16 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 22.6
17 mad sticky 27
  CapnK KR deCap  
  CordRipper RumHam  
  Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Will Lee said:

Hi all you Vendèe addicts,

My "Lorraine III" likes to enter the list. Competed with you in the last VOR , which was fun!

Thanks, all the best and fair winds!

Will 

Hi Will,

You will be included in the rankings tomorrow.

TR

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Due to the marvels of the VR search system there are a few boats that I cannot find. 

you seem to have missed yourself ?

• Like 2
Just now, Kenny Dumas said:

A stays’l gets you 0.4 knots right now. Is there any way to see what sails boats have?

I don't think you can easily...  But if you have the Dashboard installed (described in Zezo), you can get data about other boats, such as what sail they're currently flying and whether or not they have polish.  In foiling conditions, you can also tell if they have foils.

• Like 1

@mud No wind updates it’s constant change. With the current forecast  run ending at the change to another new forecast run. I look to the current run in the windy app in the  game forecast GFS Mode, For the big picture.

5B36EDB0-158F-474C-997F-FD9BEFAC8D64.png

15 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Hey Knute, I like the Corinthian Class, but are you Polish Class or running some faster sails?  Is there any way to tell?

Hey Kenny, all I have is a polished hull. I tried to see what he ones overtaking me have "bought" but it seems not possible

Ya the rich get richer.. BUT dam MOMs track erecord is amazing, practice counts.( check out the podium link in the view a boat box). we’re lucky he’s in with “us." I’m in withe a all points bought all possible option boat,  no radio  WTF is the radio anyway? I had thousands of points from years ago when the USD to euro was bad. So I’ll be off the pace a little at times HAHA When  I’m sleeping or what ever.
Crazy fast boats now in the real thing!  
Maybe one last call out on SA to get in....

Off to Zezo land with a e eye on uFast MFs

15 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

WTF is the radio anyway?

The radio sends notifications via email and phone notifications (if active on your phone) if you're using the wrong sail or run aground.  Unfortunately, turning notifications on in your phone also results in you being notified every time someone follows or unfollows you and every time a follower joins a race, and I think also every time someone sends you a message.  So I have notifications turned off in my phone, or I'd get pinged all day and night.  So the radio is mostly useless to me. I'd use it if the game had settings internally about which events should trigger notifications.

I really wanted to join the start. But no, I couldn't remember my password. So I tried to reset it and I know I used an @yahoo.com email. Low and behold the VR platform has "issues" with yahoo emails. So I tried to sign up using 3 different gmail accounts using both Chrome, Edge and FireFox and no dice.... Anyone else have issues? 

33 minutes ago, RImike said:

I really wanted to join the start. But no, I couldn't remember my password. So I tried to reset it and I know I used an @yahoo.com email. Low and behold the VR platform has "issues" with yahoo emails. So I tried to sign up using 3 different gmail accounts using both Chrome, Edge and FireFox and no dice.... Anyone else have issues? 

I tried to join because my 8yo wanted to, and it was impossible. Tried everything

I still can't log in

27 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I tried to join because my 8yo wanted to, and it was impossible. Tried everything

I still can't log in

I have lots of credits from previous races (both offshore and inshore) and not being able to use them is really pissing me off.  One thing for sure, I won't be paying anything using a "guest" account. 

Actually I just managed to create a new account. Not putting a penny in it though, it's for an 8yo. who (thank God) is not that much into video games (yet). He just started sailing in the local Opti team and he's totally hooked, but he didn't want to go sailing on Sunday (pouring rain and 30 knots gusts) so he watched the start and wanted to play the Virtual race.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, chuso007 said:

Actually I just managed to create a new account. Not putting a penny in it though, it's for an 8yo. who (thank God) is not that much into video games (yet). He just started sailing in the local Opti team and he's totally hooked, but he didn't want to go sailing on Sunday (pouring rain and 30 knots gusts) so he watched the start and wanted to play the Virtual race.

Sounds like you're doing it right.  :-)

• Like 1

good job dad. some day he will drag u out on the water for a sail

OK I’ve had the no log in thing too. The iPad Air with a old app won’t let me in. The iPad Air 2 all the latest iOS up dates and game updates is getting in .

could be a lack of the latest offshore game app update in the air. I dumped the game app in the air2. Got a fresh one that went straight to update at instillation on the store page and all good. Now I’ll try to get the Samsung 7 phone going and the iPad Air next...

update your offshore app was a message I saw in the game..

Evening chaps,

'Hotfoot' taking part in the cheap seats/Corinthian class.

Would be good to know what difference all the 'to buy' options make further down the track.

And then find a way to hide that from her indoors.

Have fun!

• Like 1

It’s killing me to not have a light jib. I went from 40K to 140K since it lightened up. 100 fucking thousand boats sailed right past me!!  

Time to start Cheap Anarchy YC. We’ll start it as a team and apply for YC status if it matters maybe. Any words of wisdom on how to best start a team?  Is it a problem to call a team and YC the same name etc?  

Sorta like JAM:  polish only 

Please create a new boat if you are running a better rig already. You can start at the frigate with a new boat. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

BTW Mom, please don’t join our team!

don't know how many times Mom has to state she doesn't join teams ...

Good morning.

Rankings from approx 00:30 UTC on 10 Nov.

I think top performance marks for today go to Sticky with a tacking angle of precisely 126°. At the moment it is a balancing act of maximising pressure and heading.

Let me know if I have missed anyone - (although I am fairly certain I haven't missed myself today!).  CapnK will be kicked off tomorrow unless he actually starts sailing as his DNS screws up my sorting.

10-Nov      
1 Vin Divided Sky 22929.88
2 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 2.48
3 Laser1 Hotfoot 16.9
4 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 30.1
5 Mid SA_Mid 31.4
6 Gufmiester Big Balls 32
7 Will Lee Lorraine III 32.4
8 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 32.9
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 33.3
10 Your Mom Your Mom SA 33.3
11 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 33.7
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 34.1
13 Iced Tea rule69 34.2
14 F15 AUS AUS3572 34.2
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 34.5
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 36.5
17 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 36.6
18 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 37.2
19 CordRipper RumHam 39.1
20 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 39.9
21 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 42.6
22 12345 Siafu 50.3
23 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 51.8
24 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 53.9
25 mad sticky 119.1
26 MobyBick MobyBick 150.1
27 CapnK KR deCap DNS
  • Like 4
35 minutes ago, Mid said:

don't know how many times Mom has to state she doesn't join teams ...

You Mom flies solo.

I have 1,072 pages of followers in the game, so I guess that's about 15,000.  I'd guess maybe 500-1,000 have asked me to join teams.  PITA.  I eventually formed a private team of one called "Sorry no team" just so people wouldn't think I was teamless.  That seemed to help, as the requests dropped off after that.

I suppose I should have just joined a proper team instead.  I just prefer to be able to race how I race, communicate with whoever, feel no obligation to help anyone (although I usually try to help everyone), etc.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, TPG said:

Really rough next 48 hours. Just kinda winging it. Fucking hate getting to the Azores.

we've had plenty of practice ....

west just went quicker than south ...

21 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

@mud No wind updates it’s constant change. With the current forecast  run ending at the change to another new forecast run. I look to the current run in the windy app in the  game forecast GFS Mode, For the big picture.

5B36EDB0-158F-474C-997F-FD9BEFAC8D64.png

Driftwood - I meant when does the forecast update

54 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

Driftwood - I meant when does the forecast update

Once every 6 hours, in conjunction with NOAA's GFS updates.

In my time zone (US Central), it starts at 0330, 0930, 1530, and 2130.  You'll need to convert to your own time zone.  Usually the impact actually starts 10-15 minutes after that.  If there's a big change from prior forecast, though, you might see it continue to adjust for a while after.  Sometimes as much as an hour later, in volatile places like the doldrums.

If you're using Zezo for routing, it takes 90 minutes for it to get the full 16-day forecast into the routing.

4 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning.

I think top performance marks for today go to Sticky with a tacking angle of precisely 126°. At the moment it is a balancing act of maximising pressure and heading.

Let me know if I have missed anyone - (although I am fairly certain I haven't missed myself today!).  CapnK will be kicked off tomorrow unless he actually starts sailing as his DNS screws up my sorting.

10-Nov      
3 Laser1 Hotfoot 16.9
5 Mid SA_Mid 31.4
13 Iced Tea rule69 34.2
14 F15 AUS AUS3572 34.2
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 36.5
22 12345 Siafu 50.3
25 mad sticky 119.1
27 CapnK KR deCap DNS

Hi Tunnel Rat, please take me in, I am SA_KnutG. Thank you!

7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning.

10-Nov      
3 Laser1 Hotfoot 16.9
5 Mid SA_Mid 31.4
13 Iced Tea rule69 34.2
14 F15 AUS AUS3572 34.2
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 36.5
22 12345 Siafu 50.3
25 mad sticky 119.1
27 CapnK KR deCap DNS

Hi TR - thanks for once again putting up the ranking (again, I don't know how you have the time)....

Last VOR, I was RIGO - but racing again this time as "Screaming_Eagle" - would appreciate an add to the ranking if you don't mind!

Fair winds all,

RIGO...

4 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

What's the sched for weather updates on the game? 

03:30, 09:30, 15:30, 21:30  GMT

I'm on full set, bought with credits, for this race and therefore "only" limited in the number of programming instructions or waypoints. Little sad that they changed that lately since i still have accumulated  over 48000 credits over the years.

Thanks for compiling the ranking @Tunnel Rat

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning.

10-Nov      
3 Laser1 Hotfoot 16.9
5 Mid SA_Mid 31.4
13 Iced Tea rule69 34.2
14 F15 AUS AUS3572 34.2
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 36.5
22 12345 Siafu 50.3
25 mad sticky 119.1
27 CapnK KR deCap DNS

could you add Hutspot77 ?

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

What are the best sheeting angles for upwind (with foils)?

Be careful this is somewhere you can spend an unhealthy amount of time.

http://zezo.org/vg/polars.html?opt=244

1 hour ago, RIGO said:

Hi TR - thanks for once again putting up the ranking (again, I don't know how you have the time)....

Last VOR, I was RIGO - but racing again this time as "Screaming_Eagle" - would appreciate an add to the ranking if you don't mind!

Fair winds all,

RIGO...

We will see you tomorrow.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Voiles & Voiliers quoted 00.30  06.30. 12.30, 18.30 CET  

Any ideas which is correct?

Not sure about the differences. The GFS site states 00:00, 06:00, 12:00, 18:00 UTC (GMT+1).

The times @Your Mom and i stated are the ones when the zezo router starts integrating the weather update (the process was described by @Your Mom in a previous post). In the past those were also the times the game updated weather but maybe they changed something, but i suspect we would have noticed a 2 hour difference. And currently the zezo router data correlates exactly with the game data for me.