Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, TPG said:

Literally this early, anyone could take it. Even you! :P

RE: drunk? where were your poodles? did they forget how otto works? :lol:

Been a tough year, had to cut back on the staff..........gotta do this shit myself now. :D

Just now, mad said:

I was taking the piss;)  But thanks for the link reminder, I need every bit of help I can get.:P

when using zezo you can see your twa a bit more accurate...

image.thumb.png.5568d25529d5009e23cf28552a69a69b.png

if you go beyond the red lines in

http://zezo.org//vg/polars.html?opt=244wind=16.843749212220946

tenths of degrees can be costly when looking at the speedo...

12 hours ago, RIGO said:

Hi TR - thanks for once again putting up the ranking (again, I don't know how you have the time)....

Last VOR, I was RIGO - but racing again this time as "Screaming_Eagle" - would appreciate an add to the ranking if you don't mind!

Fair winds all,

RIGO...

Hi, doesn't look like you picked up SVKahoots

I’m sailing AWA 50 and will transit the front in 12 hours. I’ll probably hand steer, but wondering about best auto strategy. Probably  program a switch to a waypoint once well into the header since AWA will be highly variable. But I’m a rookie at this. Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I’m sailing AWA 50 and will transit the front in 12 hours. I’ll probably hand steer, but wondering about best auto strategy. Probably  program a switch to a waypoint once well into the header since AWA will be highly variable. But I’m a rookie at this. Thoughts?

alarm clock...

41 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I'm using programmations, and planning to adjust them as events evolve (because it will conveniently happen a couple hours before I intend to go to bed).

At the moment, I'm sailing a straight compass course.  Then TWA 45.  Then tack to TWA 45.  Then staight line until TWA 120.  I also have programs scheduled to dip to 125 and then 130, but those are tomorrow morning and are a loose plan that'll change with the forecast.

Of course, that's with full pack (or VIP).  If you only have two slots to use, you're gonna want to be online if possible.  No way to do the transition efficiently without being online if you only have two slots.  I'd probably try to do something like the plan above, but with much more manual intervention.

If you only have two and won't be online...  You could try to set up a pair of waypoints, such that you sail straight in until your angle is about TWA 40, and then tack to about 40 straight back out...  But you'll lose some in there.  I'd probably wind up sailing straight compass in, switch to TWA 45 with one programmation, and then set a straight line out with the second programmation, set to be at about 40-45 when the straight line starts...  I'm guessing that would be the least inefficient solution.

• Like 1

Daan was funny, but Mom is like Domino’s, she delivered exactly what I was looking for. I go off the grid and those are interesting options. I set up my tacks last night and then adjusted them when it got light. Having a plan and adjusting it is easier than figuring it out when you wake up for a few. 

10 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Daan was funny, but Mom is like Domino’s, she delivered exactly what I was looking for. I go off the grid and those are interesting options. I set up my tacks last night and then adjusted them when it got light. Having a plan and adjusting it is easier than figuring it out when you wake up for a few. 

maybe even more funny... it's the option i'm going to use...

game plan in my head, wake up, adjust on phone, sleep on... (maybe twice.... just to check...)

Just set 9 waypoints to get through the transition (mostly, and hopefully) intact. 

Was thinking of setting an alarm for 3 30am to get up to manage the transition but fuck that, I've a job to do in the morning. 

Good morning,

The NorthWestern boats have already tacked beyond the front and are heading south, but I think that the central boats will get through the front and still be ahead.  The Eastern boats (TheGreeneMachine and Divided Sky) are going to have to wait a while for the shift before they can tack.  I think the best placed at the moment are Big Balls, Cambodunum and Lorraine III (kiss of death duely applied!)

It looks like Code 0s and then kites will be breaking out across the fleet in the next few hours and then a couple of days later we get to play with Theta, (something I would be reluctant to do in the real race). Tomorrow's standings may be closer to reality than todays, but probably not.....

Enjoy!

11-Nov 00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Laser1 Hotfoot 22798.57
2 Vin Divided Sky 0.46
3 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 14.9
4 Mid SA_Mid 17.5
5 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 18.5
6 Gufmiester Big Balls 31.1
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 31.4
8 Will Lee Lorraine III 32.3
9 kea.nn kea.nn SA 33.7
10 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 34.8
11 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 35
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 35.6
13 Raz'r SVKahoots 36.5
14 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 36.9
15 daan62 Hutspot77 37.9
16 CordRipper RumHam 39.8
17 Your Mom Your Mom SA 40.8
18 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 41.5
19 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 41.5
20 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 46.1
21 Iced Tea rule69 48
22 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 48.3
23 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 48.4
24 PB2207 Chi-2207 48.6
25 MasterRobin MasterRobin 49.3
26 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 51.3
27 mad Sticky 77.5
28 F15 AUS AUS3572 78.5
29 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 96
30 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 102.8
31 gary Hschutz 103.3
32 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 108
33 12345 Siafu 109.7
34 MobyBick MobyBick 166.1
  • Like 2

Thanks TunnelRat

Hope im not last in 12 hours or so...

Probably too much to ask but whaddya reckon about putting each boat's upgrades into the leaderboard? So we can compare apples with apples to an extent...

Bit time consuming but we do have 70 odd days.

Im stock with foils

Wet hog is the 1 st into the westerly as far as I can see. 16 knots of breeze and reaching along at 11.6 on port board. It's going to be interesting to see if the western boat catch up to the small cluster of southern boats of Divided sky, G-troit , Mid and Hot foot.

let the regroup begin

15 minutes ago, MobyBick said:

Thanks TunnelRat

Hope im not last in 12 hours or so...

Probably too much to ask but whaddya reckon about putting each boat's upgrades into the leaderboard? So we can compare apples with apples to an extent...

Bit time consuming but we do have 70 odd days.

Im stock with foils

Mate, sorry, no. Too many variables and too much time involved. I am supposed to be working........ :ph34r:

Kinda wish I was further NW so I wasn't punching through this thing around 1AM local time in a few hours. Hopefully the push through is a painless as some of the NW fleets, my estimated waypoints are pretty close to theirs on the other side. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Looks like the servers are barking, no access right now...

Works for me on PC and Chrome. But with VR nothing would surprise me ;)

I think the best placed at the moment are Big Balls, Cambodunum and Lorraine III (kiss of death duely applied!)

And since i don't have the VIP package my section of doom is coming up rather quickly ;) :)

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I'm using programmations, and planning to adjust them as events evolve (because it will conveniently happen a couple hours before I intend to go to bed).

At the moment, I'm sailing a straight compass course.  Then TWA 45.  Then tack to TWA 45.  Then staight line until TWA 120.  I also have programs scheduled to dip to 125 and then 130, but those are tomorrow morning and are a loose plan that'll change with the forecast.

Of course, that's with full pack (or VIP).  If you only have two slots to use, you're gonna want to be online if possible.  No way to do the transition efficiently without being online if you only have two slots.  I'd probably try to do something like the plan above, but with much more manual intervention.

If you only have two and won't be online...  You could try to set up a pair of waypoints, such that you sail straight in until your angle is about TWA 40, and then tack to about 40 straight back out...  But you'll lose some in there.  I'd probably wind up sailing straight compass in, switch to TWA 45 with one programmation, and then set a straight line out with the second programmation, set to be at about 40-45 when the straight line starts...  I'm guessing that would be the least inefficient solution.

My understanding of the VPP for the Corinthian (clean bottom only) was that the best upwind VMG was at TWA 45 (with only very light variations between 10 to 20 kn wind speed). Would TWA 40% be for the fully equipped boats? Thx

2 minutes ago, Knut Grotzki said:

My understanding of the VPP for the Corinthian (clean bottom only) was that the best upwind VMG was at TWA 45 (with only very light variations between 10 to 20 kn wind speed). Would TWA 40% be for the fully equipped boats? Thx

Full Pack TWA for optimum VMG ranges from 45° (10-22kts) to 58° (1kt), with many variations for other windspeeds.

8 minutes ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Check the zezo link up thread with the polar charts. You can play with the upgrades they offer and see the differences in different wind conditions. 

5 hours ago, Giddy Up said:

Wet hog is the 1 st into the westerly as far as I can see. 16 knots of breeze and reaching along at 11.6 on port board. It's going to be interesting to see if the western boat catch up to the small cluster of southern boats of Divided sky, G-troit , Mid and Hot foot.

let the regroup begin

I'm bleeding places ..... I'm dead.  Ah well it was fun while it lasted.

9 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

I'm bleeding places ..... I'm dead.  Ah well it was fun while it lasted.

I won't be able to tack South until a couple of hours from now, I will have lost 10's of thousands places by then...

2 hours ago, chuso007 said:

I won't be able to tack South until a couple of hours from now, I will have lost 10's of thousands places by then...

We had a couple azores races some of us went from top 10 to top 10000 to I think we all finished in top 5.

Welcome to (virtual) ocean racing.

Mad Caption Snake! ) I saw that too last night. Makes me wonder if they the game boys as using the wind gust setting in GFS or the average wind. 

I think it’s foot to the headers up wind and pinch to the lifts. But this is down wind where low is slow. But low boat wins at marks. 
Question jibing down wind rules, what are they, the fast rules. what works when VMG racing?

1 hour ago, mad said:

Anybody else getting some really erratic helming??  and no, I'm not drinking. :P

Just one of the VR bugs. For most of the first day i didn't have a past track for my boat at all, but i could see them for other boats.

2 hours ago, TPG said:

We had a couple azores races some of us went from top 10 to top 10000 to I think we all finished in top 5.

Ranking in VR almost doesn't matter till the last tack towards the finish. VR calculates rank with distance to the virtual rhumb line and how far along this line one is. With the Around The World races or Ocean crossings that line is most often not the fastest track. As mentioned with N-S-Atlantic races most times a westerly route pays off similar to northern routes in Atlantic crossings where your ranking shows you in the bottom third for most of the race.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Knut Grotzki said:

It wouldn't.  My suggestion in that direction was only for the case where you're trying to get through the entire maneuver while offline and using only two programmations (or waypoints).  In that case, you're going to have to eat some inefficiency.  If I'm resigned to eating some inefficiency, I'll take some of it by overshooting the optimal TWA for a bit, to get further into the header, and then coming back out a bit high, to avoid footing too much for the rest of the night.  If it was a milder shift and I could just go TWA 45 to TWA 45 and sleep happily, I'd do that.  In this case, it was reaching into a header, and then reaching out of a lift, so it was going to be sub-optimal for anyone using only 2 maneuvers.

4 hours ago, mad said:

Anybody else getting some really erratic helming??  and no, I'm not drinking. :P

The game's user interface doesn't precisely match what it's actually doing on the server.  (If you go through Zezo to find Dashboard, and install Dashboard, you can see the numbers for what the server is actually doing).  Ordinarily, the differences are minor.  But when a major shift rolls through, they can be dramatic.  Every five minutes, the user interface re-sync's with the server.  So you get wonky lines in the user interface, where it shows you what it thinks you're doing, and then shifts your boat to where the server says it is, every 5 minutes.  It's important to not react to that.  The server is what matters.  In situations like that, I usually find myself exiting and re-entering the user interface fairly frequently, because the wonky lines drive me nuts.  When you exit and re-enter, it shows your real tail according to the server, instead of whatever the UI and server have argued about since you last entered.  (Although at the moment, it's failing to show tails at all).

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Marty6 said:

As mentioned with N-S-Atlantic races most times a westerly route pays off similar to northern routes in Atlantic crossings where your ranking shows you in the bottom third for most of the race.

Oh sweet summer child. :lol:

6 hours ago, Marty6 said:

Just one of the VR bugs. For most of the first day i didn't have a past track for my boat at all, but i could see them for other boats.

Ranking in VR almost doesn't matter till the last tack towards the finish. VR calculates rank with distance to the virtual rhumb line and how far along this line one is. With the Around The World races or Ocean crossings that line is most often not the fastest track. As mentioned with N-S-Atlantic races most times a westerly route pays off similar to northern routes in Atlantic crossings where your ranking shows you in the bottom third for most of the race.

Exactly this, especially for those getting despondent already. its only a game.:P

I went from 470K to 169K, the rankings are meaningless at this point.

3 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

Gybing down the edge of the storm. 

Feel like this goes firmly in the bucket of "things you can do in virtual racing but not in real life"

The rich get richer.

33 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

My question is - when are people going to switch Zezo from navigating them to Fernando de Norohna towards Cape of Good hope? 

i'm pointing +/- in the direction of St Helena... (destination in Zezo...(right click, set destination))

Hello,

Further confirmation that "west is best" still works. Hotfoot and Divided Sky who were leading yesterday in the east have plummeted down the rankings, while the westerners have taken over.  Mom is ominously in second place, and Vibroman's recent gybe is not looking like a lovely angle. 

There is a subsidiary low to negotiate before the full Theta comes into effect. All to play for.

12-Nov

00:30UTCish

1 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 22605.41
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 8.45
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 11.8
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 12.8
5 Wattie MuritaiWatt 12.9
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 14.3
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 14.9
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15
9 Will Lee Lorraine III 15.4
10 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 15.6
11 daan62 hutspot77 17.7
12 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 19.7
13 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 22.6
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 25
15 F15 AUS AUS3572 25.3
16 Iced Tea rule69 25.4
17 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 26.2
18 kea.nn kea.nn SA 27.1
19 CordRipper RumHam 33.5
20 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 33.5
21 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 34.2
22 TocToc Vuvuzela 41
23 gary Hschutz 43
24 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 50.3
25 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 50.5
26 MobyBick MobyBick 59
27 Laser1 Hotfoot 62.8
28 PB2207 Chi-2207 65.1
29 Mid SA_Mid 66.7
30 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 80.1
31 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 87.1
32 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 94.2
33 mad Sticky 95.2
34 Raz'r SVKahoots 108.3
35 12345 Siafu 119.2
36 Vin Divided Sky 148.6
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Hello,

Further confirmation that "west is best" still works. Hotfoot and Divided Sky who were leading yesterday in the east have plummeted down the rankings, while the westerners have taken over.  Mom is ominously in second place, and Vibroman's recent gybe is not looking like a lovely angle. 

There is a subsidiary low to negotiate before the full Theta comes into effect. All to play for.

12-Nov

00:30UTCish

1 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 22605.41
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 8.45
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 11.8
4 Gufmiester BigBalls 12.8
5 Wattie MuritaiWatt 12.9
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 14.3
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 14.9
8 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15
9 Will Lee Lorraine III 15.4
10 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 15.6
11 daan62 hutspot77 17.7
12 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 19.7
13 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 22.6
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 25
15 F15 AUS AUS3572 25.3
16 Iced Tea rule69 25.4
17 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 26.2
18 kea.nn kea.nn SA 27.1
19 CordRipper RumHam 33.5
20 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 33.5
21 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 34.2
22 TocToc Vuvuzela 41
23 gary Hschutz 43
24 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 50.3
25 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 50.5
26 MobyBick MobyBick 59
27 Laser1 Hotfoot 62.8
28 PB2207 Chi-2207 65.1
29 Mid SA_Mid 66.7
30 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 80.1
31 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 87.1
32 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 94.2
33 mad Sticky 95.2
34 Raz'r SVKahoots 108.3
35 12345 Siafu 119.2
36 Vin Divided Sky 148.6

Like I said, sleeping is not conducive to good placements!

2 hours ago, Icedtea said:

My question is - when are people going to switch Zezo from navigating them to Fernando de Norohna towards Cape of Good hope? 

FWIW...  I don't route to Zezo's pre-defined destinations.  I'm routing to the middle of the deep South Atlantic at the moment.  Then I check out the isochrones and if I see something I don't like (such as a path that seems to count on an unstable situation), I change my destination to a place that looks more reliable.

It's moot for now, though.  For now, I would think that just about any destination is going to involve a routing around the downwind side of Theta.

• Like 1

+1

I’m a little rusty fast guy who’s ALWAYS IN MORE WIND as we chase Sideshow south. Holes are coming find one will ya .)

back on topic I’m shooting for the spot to hook up on a wave in the South Atlantic off South America where they bust off shore after crossing the continent. Or maybe a monster like this guy...

0BEA8EA7-3FC2-4AD4-9BDD-5E3D2CEADD70.png

3 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Big bug problem?. 24 hr auto sails is broken. Checked boat auto sails off wrong sailing about 12 hrs in to a 24 hr run. Did I f-up or is this a bug?

For me it works. It runs for 24h (several times already after restart at the end of the period).

5 hours ago, SteveJH said:

I haven't been able to pick sails since the start, auto-sails appears to be stuck on.

Boat is Stephen_1987

If you have a Full Pack, Autosails are always on and you can't turn them off.  Driftwood is running without the FP.  I don't have an answer for his question, though.  It could be worth checking the VR forum.  I think there's a thread about Autosails issues.

Thanks that’s a good idea. slept 8hrs last night only lost 10.000 . Problem is now restarting the auto sails at 1 am. I’ll Just have to leave it off in some stable conditions to move the reset to a more civilized time. Thinking about the real boats this is nothing like what they go through...

Starting to play with the game UN router..a check on Zezo maybe... it’s free, left side of the game screen. One of these days I’ll log into google and get the zezo extension.

man ok mom how do I find the game forum in the app or is it only on a web window at their site? I did send a bug report me and 650000 others should do it too..

Looks like the western edge of the fleet is tacking over to catch the down wind side of theta. I'm just hoping I got a shot to catch it further east, but not too far east. I'm projected to be at their Lat. in about 9 hrs. and around 130NM east. 

Strange to see theta move east like that. Must be the late session nature of things. as the cold air up north is pushing further  south faster now. Could be a shake out for the real fleet. Alex in Boss saw 50 knots in that little front we just skirted.

7 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

And do we want one? I don't even know how it works but it could be interesting

The idea was floated earlier in the thread. I think the higher VSR guys are mostly already in teams or don't want to be in one. 

16 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

And do we want one? I don't even know how it works but it could be interesting

I don't think a team for just one event would be worth it, apart from some people already being in other teams. The other option would be the selection of a yacht club like we did previously. As far as i remember we selected one with a SA abbreviation since VR didn't like the creation of a virtual one.

1 hour ago, Marty6 said:

I don't think a team for just one event would be worth it, apart from some people already being in other teams. The other option would be the selection of a yacht club like we did previously. As far as i remember we selected one with a SA abbreviation since VR didn't like the creation of a virtual one.

Savannah Yacht Club

• Like 1

Depending on destination in zezo the routing either goes west of Theta (e.g. for Fernando de Noronha), east of Theta  (destination a little east of FdN) or right through is. Thank god for virtual boats and no damage or breakage model in VR :)

Dang, Hanging with Boss, Corum and Initiatives. I want to gybe over and dive for the low, but they are hanging in there....  What do they know?  Certainly more than I do.

33 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Dang, Hanging with Boss, Corum and Initiatives. I want to gybe over and dive for the low, but they are hanging in there....  What do they know?  Certainly more than I do.

Don't forget that they aren't updated that often (probably official schedule) in VR

Important decision coming up...  What angle to depart Theta...  I'm quite uncertain right now.  I'd love to risk a more Easterly routing and be right...  But...  The smart move is usually to head more West toward Brazil.  Zezo will give you a wide range of options, depending on where you set your destination.