Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

32 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

For now the game is to dive as close to the centre of Theta as you can get and, as Mom said above, decide what angle to make your escape

Escape? We're not meeting up at the center of theta for a little mid race get together tomorrow around this time? Am I the only one? 

Screenshot_20201112-192237.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Wattie said:

Paid the price for not west enough early enough, it was fun up front while it lasted!

Pointing for the Centre of Theta and see what comes of that

Im feeling your pain. did the same by not putting any effort into routing early on. just played point and shoot for 2 long. now the leaders have a 140 jump & its going to be challenging to see if i can stick with it and reel a few of the 24000 lost spots back....poodles ready & waiting

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PB2207 said:

Escape? We're not meeting up at the center of theta for a little mid race get together tomorrow around this time? Am I the only one?

You're a little late to the party ;)

1077928871_ScreenHunter_01Nov_1307_23.jpg.dffe12e26583f3378a0974b237939480.jpg

On 11/12/2020 at 11:04 AM, Tunnel Rat said:

Further confirmation that "west is best" still works.

conformation also that leaving Otto in charge whilst one attends to every day mundane chores like work isn't the best ......

1/2 rations for the poodles till moral and seamanship improve .

• Like 2

What’s the motto of a night fighter ? You snooze you loose... that was fun last night, now with a split in the leaders it’s getting interesting. The blind faith dropping like a rock or go west now router followers ,then through to the Deep South for every one.  moms pack will still converge off the coast with a check in after the TCZ .with gone west boats. Who will stay in stronger wind right now longer is the quesrion?

1 hour ago, Icedtea said:

Zezo seems to be routing everyone to the South West. 

I don't buy it at all. 

We can steam almost straight south at 20+ knots and get an easy doldrums crossing in the next 72 hours at this rate 

The right move is usually to go SW, passing near Brazil, dropping into a weather system down near the ice limit, and then flying back East with the weather system.  I've done the Europe-to-Cape Town (or beyond) route probably 15-20 times (virtually...  never for real, although I'd like to), and the fastest route is almost always that route.  If you go South too far East, you wind up trying to sail upwind and/or struggling through southern doldrums while the fleet hooks into a system and passes.

With that said...  obviously I'm deviating at the moment, in line with your comments.  The long term forecast isn't showing any big systems for the fleet to hook into 10-15 days from now, so I'm hedging toward "cutting the corner" while hoping I can still bear off in the trades and get back West without too big a loss if the forecast changes.

To be clear...  The main fleet is probably correct.  I'm taking a substantial risk.  But...  those who have been active in VR know that it's my style...  I'd rather finish 3,000th trying to win than follow the router shooting for a top 100.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

What’s the motto of a night fighter ? You snooze you loose... that was fun last night, now with a split in the leaders it’s getting interesting. The blind faith dropping like a rock or go west now router followers ,then through to the Deep South for every one.  moms pack will still converge off the coast with a check in after the TCZ .with go west boats. Who will stay in stronger wind right now longer is the quesrion?

tried the african coast a lot of times in this game... and it never worked... it always disappears when i'm nearly there...

it was not zezo at the helm but my fear of repetition!

• Like 1

+1 pre Zezo in my first v Vendee I got to 7th over all on that coast.  fun while it lasted, every one should try it, extreme farleft is a nubby move at best, fun to watch others try. This year that part of the ocean looks dead and glassy..no takers yes I looked over there for wind already. Seemed Theta sucked all wind to it

@mom there you go again that’s the game you play and it works for you. Stay in wind longer or go to the rain and wind is a real world move the in light air out here, after I started right seeing your position after a while you kept looking better and better...Can’t beatem by following them. I was wondering about you taking a Flyer a few das ago. Your Scary fast, it is a bold move at a perfect moment, we will see what works.This race in just starting or is it over?

3 hours ago, Icedtea said:

Zezo seems to be routing everyone to the South West.

Because more often than not it is the saver and quicker option especially with the 16 day currently not even or barely reaching the southern ocean. "Unfortunately" as @Your Mom mentioned it looks like there is no real W-E moving system above the ice limit, which guess is enforced this time since the red line is there, to latch onto the way it is usually done. So the other approach might be worth a shot.

Both routing lines end at around +367 hours from now.

1268484876_ScreenHunter_05Nov_1318_34.jpg.30285a90e468fd9b5a2bb2d28eadc0b8.jpg2041757805_ScreenHunter_02Nov_1318_29.jpg.63d15478a9891eae684d5236ab19bb28.jpg

todays route, I thought I was smarter than the computer couple of days ago and went from right next to YM and the gang to 15 miles back chasing my gut. I'm gonna go with science for a bit. I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to roll the dice later in the game. I'm used to puttin 556 in both feet BTW

image.png.2b08cb432372d7f6b225a02ed8fb16f9.png

1 hour ago, DRIFTW00D said:

This race in just starting or is it over?

The entire race for the first three weeks is really just to be in the same weather system as the leaders once you're in the deep south.  Everyone in that weather system should come back together and effectively get a restart.  Anyone who misses it is out of contention.

My risk is partly to make my race less boring, and partly because of the ever-lasting hope for the glory of catching a weather system that the main fleet misses.  The downside of the risk is a disaster of a race if they catch something that I can't latch onto.

For now, it's just down to getting through the doldrums as fast as we can.  The forecast for the South Atlantic will be more reliable a week from now.

I'm heavily second-guessing the East option, but I'm pretty thoroughly committed for another day or so.  I want to go down 26W tomorrow, after the gybe, and toward Cap Verde...  And then re-assess during the period 24-48 hours from now, as I approach Cap Verde.  There's a good chance I'll bear off somewhere in there and hope I haven't lost too much to the Westies.  But if I still see a way to make it work, I'll keep trying.

Good morning,

As discussed above, the answer to the dilemma yesterday has been answered and the smart money seems to have gone SW, except for Your Mom.  I got caught up in the excitement and decided that straight at the Doldrums - for a while anyway.  The Corinthians are busy playing with Theta and Mid has changed his plans and is now attempting to emulate Bogart in Casablanca.

There will be no rankings tomorrow as I will be busy yomping up a small mountain with the wife and the dog. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

BTW it looks like Mom is well ahead of me, but these are the numbers that the ranking spits out...... :D

14-Nov 01:00UTC ish      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 22006.49
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 0.34
3 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 6.15
4 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 15.6
5 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 30.9
6 Iced Tea rule69 31.7
7 TocToc Vuvuzela 47.4
8 gary Hschutz 51
9 F15 AUS AUS3572 68
10 CordRipper RumHam 84.4
11 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 89.8
12 MobyBick MobyBick 91.1
13 arr4ws Arr4ws 92.7
14 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 99.2
15 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 100.9
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 176.3
17 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 180.8
18 PB2207 Chi-2207 184.2
19 MasterRobin MasterRobin 187.1
20 Raz'r SVKahoots 189.9
21 12345 Siafu 191.7
22 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 213.4
23 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 215.8
24 Wattie MuritaiWatt 234.3
25 SteveJH Stephen_1987 245.7
26 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 250.2
27 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 258.4
28 daan62 hutspot77 276.9
29 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 280
30 Will Lee Lorraine III 284.1
31 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 287.7
32 Gufmiester BigBalls 290.2
33 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 296.5
34 Vin Divided Sky 296.8
35 Laser1 Hotfoot 311.2
36 mad Sticky 316.4
37 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 321.4
38 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 407.2
39 Mid SA_Mid 412.9
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

I’ve lost 210,000 places today and counting.....dam :o

it’s lucky Friday the 13th too

Don't look at the ranking.  At all.  Until you're past CoGH.  You'll be happier if you don't.  The correct course is most likely over by Brazil, but there will be a week of boats near Africa showing as the leaders, until they find headwinds and get to COGH 1,000+ nm behind.

FWIW...  I'm slightly bailing out on my East strategy.  I won't be passing close to Cap Verde as planned.  I'll be closer to 27W than 26W.

2 hours ago, Your Mom said:

FWIW...  I'm slightly bailing out on my East strategy.  I won't be passing close to Cap Verde as planned.  I'll be closer to 27W than 26W.

Yeah, as usual with the long term forecast it changed quite a bit over night (my night :) ). I'm also looking for more western option. Going directly to the horn would now take one really along the African coast.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Marty6 said:

Yeah, as usual with the long term forecast it changed quite a bit over night (my night :) ). I'm also looking for more western option. Going directly to the horn would now take one really along the African coast.

4 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Don't look at the ranking.  At all.  Until you're past CoGH.  You'll be happier if you don't.  The correct course is most likely over by Brazil, but there will be a week of boats near Africa showing as the leaders, until they find headwinds and get to COGH 1,000+ nm behind.

Looks like your mate from alongside yesterday,  awaywada's break to the east has at least paid off for the moment. Are you sure bailing out was the best option with the south east trades about to settle in?

11 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Looks like your mate from alongside yesterday,  awaywada's break to the east has at least paid off for the moment. Are you sure bailing out was the best option with the south east trades about to settle in?

That's the problem with those eastern options, they always look good in the beginning :D :D

3 minutes ago, winchfodder said:
34 minutes ago, mad said:

I'm in

I presume this is (hopefully) only open to the cheapskates like me on the basic package?

Think that's the plan, some extra sails, no foils, no hull polish for me. 

5 hours ago, winchfodder said:

Not sure about anything.  But that's normal in these waters.  You have to be decisive and not let yourself flip back and forth between three ideas, though...  

• Like 2

Hey All,

I started a few days late and haven't played since 2017 but so far have managed to get ahead of HIkeBitches :). Tunnel Rat can you add me to your ranking list, please?

Non-VIP FnG here with probably a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to but I'll throw it out there. 

The map is obviously flat and like 99.9% of flat maps is presented in Mercator Projection. Latitudes are 'stretched' but Longitudes are kept constant, creating distortion between what's seen and the actual distances over different lat/lon.'s. Heading straight east/west at the equator looks like the same distance as at -40 deg. between longitudes (since they are kept equal to flatten the map), but E/W -40 is approximately 25% less distance between longitudes. Conversely while the Latitudes are 'stretched' N/S, their distances are the same.

So I'm guessing the game 'speeds up/slows down' the apparent distances covered depending on the Lat/Lon.? They have to make up for the map distortion somehow. 

1 hour ago, PB2207 said:

Non-VIP FnG here with probably a stupid question that I probably already know the answer to but I'll throw it out there. 

The map is obviously flat and like 99.9% of flat maps is presented in Mercator Projection. Latitudes are 'stretched' but Longitudes are kept constant, creating distortion between what's seen and the actual distances over different lat/lon.'s. Heading straight east/west at the equator looks like the same distance as at -40 deg. between longitudes (since they are kept equal to flatten the map), but E/W -40 is approximately 25% less distance between longitudes. Conversely while the Latitudes are 'stretched' N/S, their distances are the same.

So I'm guessing the game 'speeds up/slows down' the apparent distances covered depending on the Lat/Lon.? They have to make up for the map distortion somehow. 

It'll behave just the same as if your boat were in the real race.  Your boatspeed will still correlate to the polars, but your pace across the map Eastbound will be faster (in terms of longitude per hour, or progress across the map, but not knots) the further South you go.

If not for the ice limit, it would sometimes make sense to dip extraordinarily far South.  In some races without ice limits, I've sailed near the Antarctic coast.  In this race, just as with the real race, there may be cases where the best move is to sail as close as you can to the ice limit for a while.  At least when there's decent wind from a downwind angle down there.

Oh, and...  no harm in not being a VIP.  I've been at it for years and never paid for VIP.  Can't see enough value to justify the cost.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Your boatspeed will still correlate to the polars, but your pace across the map Eastbound will be faster (in terms of longitude per hour, or progress across the map, but not knots) the further South you go.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at and kind of figured. Progress across the map had to be adjusted somehow. The Mercator projection map can kind of play tricks on the mind concerning the shortest distance between two points when we're talking these distances and changes in latitudes. Obviously wind is the biggest thing to look for but 'getting low' can help increase those 'longitudes per hour', all other things equal. 

Long way south to wind . Now the TCZ is looking like a tiger striped hole with small darker wind stripes heading west that are growing and shrinking.

zezos saying go east long term 

but the equatorial zone is on deck waiting to strike you out with a more then a few moving low wind zones...

SOoooo it’s drop like a rock 0 time at 110 TWA at around 180 t at 9+ VMG S

31 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at and kind of figured. Progress across the map had to be adjusted somehow. The Mercator projection map can kind of play tricks on the mind concerning the shortest distance between two points when we're talking these distances and changes in latitudes. Obviously wind is the biggest thing to look for but 'getting low' can help increase those 'longitudes per hour', all other things equal. 

If you ever do an event where you choose to not actually sail the course and instead go up to the extreme North...  (For example, if you do the TransAtlantic record or Jules Verne, finish a run, and decide to go up there on your "second run"), you can do some fun stuff at 85N like circumnavigating in a few hours.  It gets tough, though, because you can sail off the top of the map.  (You can't get to 90N...  Your progress stops somewhere about 89 without any indication of being "aground").

+1 that’s fun with a second fun boat. DFL racing is a challenge some do. Boats wandering around as far from the finish as possible.. there are groups that’s start races in races all over  the place, in the extreme north, west to east Bearing sea to the N Atlantic doing the NW passAge. Seeing boats finish in Cape Town SA from the great white north up there shows the world game board is FLAT.

15 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

At at 30 W (well 29’ 52”) and heading (almost) due south now......super happy to have stuck to the original plan (30w by the Canaries) rather than be lured by the east (been there, done that!)

so am i!

29 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Nice progressive header, so heated it up a bit.   I’m not running the auto router  Old school point and shoot  

Very cool looking at all the big names playing the game. I assume that “certified” means it’s really them?

Yep that's who they are. 

Interesting now - seems Like West group has backed down a little bit. 

Going to be an interesting week ahead!

game is fucked up AGAIN! (has been for 1 hour and 20 minutes now)

position in zezo doesn't seem to change over time... so do not trust the routing! (it's based on your position from 01.25 french time)

image.thumb.png.6d012b9da8bdba205aefe10e35df1eb9.png

Anyone experiencing issues with the game RN. The boat that moves in real time has somehow launched way ahead of the position boat which hasn't seemed to move for the past 30 mins. it has me well in front of the west leaders, Toppen, Ghost busters and the gang. I'll take the spot but think it's in error. Sent an email into the game and recycled the app on my PC several times. Very strange.

1 minute ago, Kapt'n Kirk said:

Anyone experiencing issues with the game RN. The boat that moves in real time has somehow launched way ahead of the position boat which hasn't seemed to move for the past 30 mins. it has me well in front of the west leaders, Toppen, Ghost busters and the gang. I'll take the spot but think it's in error. Sent an email into the game and recycled the app on my PC several times. Very strange.

i think a database problem... (see my earlier post.)

Posted on the VR forum from the "team"

Vector

•  
  • Vector
  •  
  • 155 posts

As you have noticed, we are having technical problems with our servers. It is designed to compensate for missed iterations during this type of downtime, it might look annoying on the interface, but all information and programs are safe. we are looking into the issue and hope to be back online soon ... thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience.

As you have noticed, we are experiencing some technical problems with our servers. It's designed to make up for missed iterations during this type of down time, this can look troubling on the interface but all information & progs are safe. we are looking into the problem and soon hope to be back online ... thanks for your patience, and sorry for any inconvenience .. 

Surprise, surprise. You make major changes to the game shortly before the biggest race of the year and wonder that it doesn't work with only 2-3 races, with less participation, to test it. VR again show their professionalism.

So I stuffed up with my last Gybe, I didn't program it in before I went to bed. And when I got up i'd lost something like 100k positions.

I've got some of the positions  back now and I don't think i'll have to do much for the next couple of days now unless something changes drastically?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Basically everything but the core functions of navigating on the 2D map. Seems I spoke too soon and they are trying to lower server load.

What about sail functions and waypoints? Neighbour said waypoints crapped out on him a day ago. 

Hopefully the do a better job that 2012. They lost me till this year.

And server running behind at least 15 minutes for me. A couple days ago it was 5 minutes almost all day. Glad i didn't use any real money on this game or i would really be pissed. Especially since they don't refund and only give you free packages for future races.

Today is a "hands off" day for me so this could be worse. 

Still pretty unacceptable to have people locked out entirely for a few hours. 

Does anyone know if pre programmed course changes are going through? 

• Like 1

FWIW..  People like Vector and Pat-Rock are moderators, not employees of VR.  They're actually users of the game, who have volunteered to spend unpaid time interacting with VR personnel and moderating the forums.  I've found both to be patient and helpful people.  The situation is upsetting and VR is making a mess of their biggest event, but taking it out on moderators like them would be "killing the messenger".  (Not that anyone here is doing that...  just sayin')

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

FWIW..  People like Vector and Pat-Rock are moderators, not employees of VR.  They're actually users of the game, who have volunteered to spend unpaid time interacting with VR personnel and moderating the forums.  I've found both to be patient and helpful people.  The situation is upsetting and VR is making a mess of their biggest event, but taking it out on moderators like them would be "killing the messenger".  (Not that anyone here is doing that...  just sayin')

Well said YM. 

In other news... how're you feeling about your positioning realtive to the Western group? 

I ask as I have also hitched my wagon to your horse. :(

7 hours ago, Your Mom said:

But it was so much fun giving Seb grief in ‘12

12 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

So now ‘certain features disabled’.........can’t see other boats, can’t get your own position (lat/long) probably a few more I haven’t found....

For me it's back to normal except missing tracks.

Edit: and just as I write that it isn't anymore.

7 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

So now ‘certain features disabled’.........can’t see other boats, can’t get your own position (lat/long) probably a few more I haven’t found....

at least it will update your position once in a while (once every half hour or so)... then zezo/ you get your position...

much better then no position at all like we had last times...

Hi all

User Viper64043 I know the servers are crashing but besides that something isn’t right. I am sailing right next to Achille NEBOUT certified. He has the same wind but is sailing 1.8 knots faster than me. I have the full pack. Any reason why the difference?

Welcome to another week.

The excitement of Theta is well past and everyone is trundling along in their chosen lane through the Trades.  Next stop the Doldrums - although they are looking extremely benign this year and Zezo is routing me through them with a minimum speed of 13.9kts...... I will believe it when I am through.

The ranking make even less sense than usual.  Enjoy your Monday.

16-Nov 00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 MobyBick MobyBick 21601.63
2 gary Hschutz 10
3 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 10.5
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 35.8
5 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 42.1
6 Your Mom Your Mom SA 60
7 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 69.1
8 Vin Divided Sky 77.4
9 TocToc Vuvuzela 90.3
10 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 90.8
11 Iced Tea rule69 102.3
12 F15 AUS AUS3572 121
13 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 128.4
14 CordRipper RumHam 133.6
15 MasterRobin MasterRobin 135.2
16 viper43 viper64043 143.6
17 kea.nn kea.nn SA 158.4
18 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 165.7
19 PB2207 Chi-2207 169
20 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 187.9
21 Wattie MuritaiWatt 194.4
22 arr4ws Arr4ws 205.1
23 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 209.5
24 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 217.2
25 Will Lee Lorraine III 217.8
26 12345 Siafu 217.9
27 Raz'r SVKahoots 219.8
28 daan62 hutspot77 228
29 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 228.1
30 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 243
31 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 251.8
32 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 264.3
33 SteveJH Stephen_1987 275.6
34 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 275.7
35 Gufmiester BigBalls 285.5
36 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 289.2
37 x2sea m2for-SA 315.7
38 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 344.2
39 Laser1 Hotfoot 363.6
40 Mid SA_Mid 389.3
41 mad Sticky 409.9
42 CapnK KR deCap 626.5
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, Icedtea said:

In other news... how're you feeling about your positioning realtive to the Western group? 

Uncertain.  I'm happy to be at the front of that group (as far as I can tell, but luxairfrance is next to me and he's quite good).  And our speed is good.  But we need the long term forecast to support "cutting the corner".  When it looks that way, I'm happy.  When it doesn't, I don't feel great, but I remind myself that as long as I can catch the same train as the leaders, I'll stay in the hunt.

6 hours ago, viper43 said:

Hi all

User Viper64043 I know the servers are crashing but besides that something isn’t right. I am sailing right next to Achille NEBOUT certified. He has the same wind but is sailing 1.8 knots faster than me. I have the full pack. Any reason why the difference?

He is just faster...fuckoff

Just wait let it run like this game just a little skip in it