Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

Depends on which side of the Boss your on.  lefties are going hard right,  while rightes are going a little left...ZEZO rules  the moves,  calls the shots,  mean while the fast guys just put the hammer down and go. catchem if you can!

Over at the game forum pissed off gamers are dropping out like flies..haha...seems they think they paid for new v-imoca 60 foilers and got v-imoca 40s instead. Last time this race the v fleet beat the real winners home. it’s just a game!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

No boost for active steering.  I'm confident of that.  Being more reactive may be helping.  But as I've said multiple times before, ignore the ranking until we turn the Cape of Good Hope.  The most likely explanation for your gains is that you're passing boats to your East, who are getting hung up in light winds over there after running out to an early "lead".

There's about 300,000 potatoes playing the game that if you just make some smart decisions you can pass in a couple hours.

9 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Over at the game forum pissed off gamers are dropping out like flies..

Haha, oh man there's some people who take this way too seriously. VR obviously couldn't make the foil option true to real world performance or it would destroy the game mechanics. I mean I guess they could have and then charged like $1,000 for the upgrade, that would have gotten us closer to our real world equivalents in terms of team budget/performance differences. 

Also everyone bitching about the frigate dropping people off in front of them is pretty funny. I started about a day and a half late at the frigate in like 300,000th place and then proceeded to sail a solid 2 days terribly until I re-learned the programming and weather update mechanics and I'm way ahead of the frigate at this point. If you care enough about the game to bitch about the frigate being in front of you but have made routing decisions that have you behind the frigate at this point, uh, well that's probably on you.

6 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

Haha, oh man there's some people who take this way too seriously. VR obviously couldn't make the foil option true to real world performance or it would destroy the game mechanics. I mean I guess they could have and then charged like $1,000 for the upgrade, that would have gotten us closer to our real world equivalents in terms of team budget/performance differences. 

Also everyone bitching about the frigate dropping people off in front of them is pretty funny. I started about a day and a half late at the frigate in like 300,000th place and then proceeded to sail a solid 2 days terribly until I re-learned the programming and weather update mechanics and I'm way ahead of the frigate at this point. If you care enough about the game to bitch about the frigate being in front of you but have made routing decisions that have you behind the frigate at this point, uh, well that's probably on you.

Agreed, way too serious. So, I popped for the package on the "just before the start" sale, not knowing any better, first time player. I'm 13 hours behind Hugo Boss, and every minute of that loss is when I sleep. And no, I'm not getting up every 30 minutes like the racers...

11 minutes ago, 12345 said:

What is Zezo? Is there a routing software some of you guys near me are using?

Zezo.org.  Used heavily by experienced players.  See the first page of this forum topic for a link and a variety of related info.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Zezo.org.  Used heavily by experienced players.  See the first page of this forum topic for a link and a variety of related info.

I guess I feel even better about where I am. How many people are using it?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 12345 said:

Couple times a day to see if I'm generally headed in the right direction. But I'm a newbie, so don't listen to me.

Just so yo know "Ryoochi" is on the race course....and of course sucked into going east early....lucked out  on the back edge of the hurricane and at one stage in the top5%

too far East...so getting back is a big lose....

Evo would be doing circles

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 12345 said:

I'm not sure.  Many people use it at least occasionally, some of whom have full packs and some don't.  So people who don't use routers but have the options may be ahead of people using routers, even if the router is correct.  But of course the router is not always correct. It just gives you the best routing based on the current forecast.

To the West of me, there's a VERY thick pack of boats.   Those are generally the Full Pack boats who are following Zezo fairly closely.  I'm East of them because I chose to deviate from Zezo exiting Theta.  It was looking ok for a while, and then bad for a couple days, and then last night suddenly started looking very good again, when the best path through the doldrums shifted East to where I'll be in a few hours.  If it holds for a few more hours, I'm going to be a happy camper for at least a little while.  I've been freelancing for a few days now.

I tend to deviate from Zezo more than a lot of other top players (although there are some very good players who claim to not use a router at all).  This means I sometimes put up some awful results, when the whole pack following Zezo beats me.   But when I'm right, I do very well.  I find it much more fun this way.  I don't see the point in spending the time and money to play, only to then turn it into a challenge of how well I can follow the router.  I like to zoom out, look at the isochrones, imagine potential changes in the forecast, consider past experience, and then plot a course accordingly.

• Like 3
On 9/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, Your Mom said:

If you plan to use Zezo for routing, here's a FAQ thread in the Zezo forum that should answer most of your questions about Zezo, as well as some questions about game mechanics, etc:

http://zezo.org/forum.pl?tid=7877

If Vendee will be your first time playing in a while (such as...  since the last Vendee) then some things have changed.  Here are a few key points that have changed in recent years...

• The wind continuously evolves now with interpolations between GFS forecasts, rather than suddenly changing once every 6 or 12 hours.
  • If you don't buy a Full Pack, you'll have to obtain Cards.  You get two to start and then can open a barrel every 11 hours.  The barrel can give you two cards face-up, or three face-down.  The cards will be Autosails, Programmation, or Waypoints.  (If you've played with Help or Stealth cards before, those are gone).  I think all three functions have existed for years, and it's just the concept of needing to "play a card" to use a function that's relatively new...  so I'm not going to explain how each works.  I think the game has a tutorial for new users.
  • You can buy more cards using credits if necessary...  for example, if you need 3 programmations to sail through the night while sleeping, and only have one, you can buy a 5-pack using credits.  Which is fine if you have credits, but a bummer if you don't.  It's possible to spend real money to buy credits, but obviously preferable to avoid that.
  • Along those lines...  you can get credits for finishing races.  After you finish, go back into the finished race, and click the "Get" button next to the credit balance.  So...  if you're planning to do Vendee, and you want to be able to buy some Programmation cards, but you don't want to have to spend real money on credits, consider doing a couple races between now and then, even if you're starting the prologue late.  Consider buying zero sails and zero cards and just trying to get to the finish line.  Claim your credits for your finish position, and then have those available to spend on sails and/or cards for the real Vendee.
  • If you're thinking Full Pack for Vendee...  anticipate it'll cost a lot more than in the past.  I'm not sure what the Full Pack costs on a Category 1 event, because Cat 1 events are rare...  Probably somewhere in the US$28-35 range.  But if you have Full Pack, then Autosails is always on and you have unlimited Programmation and Waypoints.  The only limits are a cap of 9 Programmations or Waypoints at any particular time, and a general inability to use Programmation and Waypoints simultaneously.  I tend to buy Full Packs on inexpensive races with coastal racing where I'll want a lot of waypoints, and then I use the credits from those races to race without Full Packs on longer offshore events.  I'll probably break from that and buy the Full Pack for Vendee, just because it's the biggest event they do and I want to contend.

I can try to answer questions here, but please review both VR's own FAQ and tutorial and the Zezo FAQ linked above before posting questions.

Enjoy...

mom how do I run the chrome extension dashboard on a iPad.

4 hours ago, PB2207 said:

Also everyone bitching about the frigate dropping people off in front of them is pretty funny.

And it has been like that in this game for a very long time, even before the frigate. People starting late are somewhere in the bottom 2/3 region of the field.

I remember the first race i did, a Fastnet some 5-6 years (or maybe even longer) ago where the game was mentioned, i also started in that region.

16 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

How come you are bailing out of the west. Do you have the knowledge or are you just trying to follow the SS.

nice transition through the Doldrums...! (couple of knts more wind...)

I can not see much point in playing the game and using routing software, the main fun of the game is routing yourself. Also teaches you to route on a global scale, setting the boat up for days in advance etc. Also I assume if you are using the same routing software as everyone else your boat will go the same as everyone else?? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, bushsailor said:

I can not see much point in playing the game and using routing software, the main fun of the game is routing yourself. Also teaches you to route on a global scale, setting the boat up for days in advance etc. Also I assume if you are using the same routing software as everyone else your boat will go the same as everyone else?? 

Not quite - there's a skill in knowing when to diverge from the routing. 

We use routing when we race offshore now so it's not that far from reality. I also find I learn something in questioning WHY the router is telling me to go somewhere

3 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Enjoy...

mom how do I run the chrome extension dashboard on a iPad.

Sorry I have no idea.  I don't have an iPad, so I don't know if it's even possible.  I run the game and the Dashboard in a Chrome browser on an iMac.  I also use my iPhone (without Dashboard).  The Zezo forums have a bunch of info about the Dashboard, and Dashboard itself has a FAQ.  It's probably answered somewhere in there.

Dashboard isn't particularly necessary to be successful. I won several races before I first installed it.  But it's a great tool if you want the detailed data.

Good morning,

There seem to be two bridges developing across the Doldrums, the western one that shockwave11 and mates are heading for and the eastern one that Mom is leading the charge for.  Some westerners lead by huttspot77 are making a break for the eastern gate - there is obviously something untrustworthy about that western option.  The game crapping out just before bedtime here didn't help me as I missed the change in the forecast and got stuck too far west - ho hum..... it's not terminal.

Further back the Corinthians are mostly broad reaching down the trades - a few people are soaking to try to get some westing with Mobybick going as far as throwing in multiple gybes which have him in free-fall on the leader board.

The southern Atlantic is looking fairly disorganised.  The S Helena High seems to be split into two and there don't seem to be any lows coming off S America to hook into.  This may change. First task, cross Dodrums and get into SE Trades with a better angle than the westerners.

18-Nov      
00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 21073.41
2 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 32
3 Your Mom Your Mom SA 46.7
4 gary Hschutz 47.5
5 Vin Divided Sky 66.6
6 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 68.8
7 Iced Tea rule69 75.6
8 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 83.1
9 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 85.8
10 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 85.9
11 TocToc Vuvuzela 87.3
12 MasterRobin MasterRobin 96.7
13 F15 AUS AUS3572 118.1
14 CordRipper RumHam 121.5
15 daan62 hutspot77 126.7
16 kea.nn kea.nn SA 128.1
17 viper43 viper64043 130.1
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 130.4
19 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 130.8
20 arr4ws Arr4ws 136.8
21 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 140.2
22 Will Lee Lorraine III 148.2
23 Gufmiester BigBalls 151.1
24 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 158
25 12345 Siafu 158.9
26 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 162.5
27 Raz'r SVKahoots 164.4
28 MobyBick MobyBick 167.6
29 Wattie MuritaiWatt 174.4
30 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 175.6
31 Headntac Ryoochi 196.4
32 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 208.9
33 PB2207 Chi-2207 216.9
34 SteveJH Stephen_1987 240.8
35 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 303.9
36 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 313.9
37 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 356.7
38 x2sea m2for-SA 358.6
39 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 399.9
40 Laser1 Hotfoot 401
41 mad Sticky 436.8
42 Mid SA_Mid 481.1
43 CapnK KR deCap 781.1
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

There seem to be two bridges developing across the Doldrums, the western one that shockwave11 and mates are heading for and the eastern one that Mom is leading the charge for.  Some westerners lead by huttspot77 are making a break for the eastern gate - there is obviously something untrustworthy about that western option.  The game crapping out just before bedtime here didn't help me as I missed the change in the forecast and got stuck too far west - ho hum..... it's not terminal.

For a long time, a route near Brazil was firmly favored by Zezo.  It was telling me persistently to sail low and drop in behind the West group with shockwave11 and about 5,000 friends.  I was allowing it to trend me back in that direction, but hedging as high as I could justify.  About 30 hours ago, the forecast suddenly dropped i front of them and gave me a better bridge, so I was actually able to head up.  That's what led huttspot77 and friends to dive toward me.  It has since moved around a few times.  I've come to learn that in the final approach to the doldrums, you need to not over-respond to each change of forecast, and instead just do whatever gets you furthest South during the next 6 hours.  Not quite a firm rule, but a guideline for consideration.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

For a long time, a route near Brazil was firmly favored by Zezo.  It was telling me persistently to sail low and drop in behind the West group with shockwave11 and about 5,000 friends.  I was allowing it to trend me back in that direction, but hedging as high as I could justify.  About 30 hours ago, the forecast suddenly dropped i front of them and gave me a better bridge, so I was actually able to head up.  That's what led huttspot77 and friends to dive toward me.  It has since moved around a few times.  I've come to learn that in the final approach to the doldrums, you need to not over-respond to each change of forecast, and instead just do whatever gets you furthest South during the next 6 hours.  Not quite a firm rule, but a guideline for consideration.

You seem to be in good company as Alex Thompson looks very close to you (though I guess his armchair is not quite as comfortable as yours). 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, Tunnel Rat said:

Hello,

Welcome to 70 odd days of misery and despair.

Here is a rough and ready ranking at about 01:00UTC on Monday 9th Nov.

Due to the marvels of the VR search system there are a few boats that I cannot find.  Please follow me "Mongrel" and I will add you to the list.

Please also bear in mind that these rankings mean absolutely nothing as most people are not heading towards the first turning mark and are only likely to cause unreasonable frustration or unjustified confidence.....  Enjoy!

1 Vin Divided Sky 23110.87
2 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 1.64
3 kea.nn kea.nn SA 4.49
4 Mid SA_Mid 5.23
5 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 14.3
6 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 15.1
7 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 16.1
8 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 16.2
9 Iced Tea rule69 17.5
10 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 17.9
11 Gufmiester Big Balls 18.4
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 18.9
13 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 19
14 Your Mom Your Mom SA 19.2
15 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 19.7
16 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 22.6
17 mad sticky 27
  CapnK KR deCap  
  CordRipper RumHam  
  Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas

MikeVentura 

• Like 1

True words, Mum!

Sailing quite near to shockwave11, all  looked fine for us yesterday, but *huh* suddenly Zezo adwises you to go east and you get nervous... But when you see, that the base of this "command" is 13 days in the future, then you better follow your chosen strategy and observe, what happens in the next forecast.

Credits to Tunnel Rat for his wise and hilarious comments of the race!

I'm late to this party, but my boat "Eau gazeuse" is once again in this virtual race! I have a full back, because my employer has a partnership with virtual regatta. But no zezo for me, I don't know how to use it... I hope I picked a good spot to cross the doldrums.

Good racing to everyone!

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Hydrogene said:

I'm late to this party, but my boat "Eau gazeuse" is once again in this virtual race! I have a full back, because my employer has a partnership with virtual regatta. But no zezo for me, I don't know how to use it... I hope I picked a good spot to cross the doldrums.

Good racing to everyone!

The boat named Eau Gazeuse / sparkling water 
As in Hydrogene bubbles in water?

Then Again Hydrogene + sailing ANARCHY coul be seen as trouble by some but not those  here. 

What do you guys do/ make for VR Games?

OR

Are you doing something / sponsoring for the Real Vendee Globe RC / Organization or Boats?

We could all be Partner's , Code Please. :ph34r:

On 11/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, Headntac said:

Just so yo know "Ryoochi" is on the race course....and of course sucked into going east early....lucked out  on the back edge of the hurricane and at one stage in the top5%

too far East...so getting back is a big lose....

Evo would be doing circles

Simon says?

So how long are those guys on the coast going to be 'in the lead'? I understand there's some invisible gates we (and I assume the actual race) uses to measure this but does anyone know when it's going to flip to the actual 'leaders'? All the way down at the Cape? 

Fcst keeps showing that narrow band of wind right down the white line for a week. Day 6, when team Cheap Anarchy YC is done shopping for cheap Brazillions, the southern option opens for business. Me and Sticky are lonely. Join our team if you’re running a cheap boat with Polish only. 

58 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Fcst keeps showing that narrow band of wind right down the white line for a week. Day 6, when team Cheap Anarchy YC is done shopping for cheap Brazillions, the southern option opens for business. Me and Sticky are lonely. Join our team if you’re running a cheap boat with Polish only. 

Yeah, It looks like the front of the fleet is diving further SSW a bit to try and catch that S. Atlantic convergence. I'm pretty far back and a bit west, around you, and I don't think I can catch the formation that's projected for them, at least how it's projected now. I'm heading dead S. basically on the white line for the next couple of days. No sense in chasing a convergence west I don't think I can catch only to have to come back east to this longitude with no advantage in 5-6 days. 

Good morning,

Firstly welcome back into the fold to  the select band of reprobates who have scuttled back out from the woodwork fashionably late  to join this exercise in boredom, frustration and annoyance.

The leaders have successfully negotiated the Doldrums, while barely noticing the road bump - probably the smoothest transition that I have ever had.  We are about to enter the southern hemisphere so I will preempt Mom's warning to remember to change to S in the Zezo coordinates or you will find yourself tracking back up the Atlantic, rather than southwards.

The leading gang is staying split in two, the westerners are slightly further south, but in less wind with a tighter angle, so the easterners are coming back into it, however, those to the far east have been dropping down the leader board quite severely due to a lack of wind - Divided Sky having lost the most places.  The general angle that the fleet is taking seems to be more southerly than would be expected giving the Brazilian parking lot (see thread in Sailing Anarchy) a wide berth.

Looking ahead, the conditions seem to be fairly consistent with the Trades increasingly lifting the fleet and sheets being eased.  The forecast predicts a small, fast moving low skitting across in front of the leaders in about 5 days, but it should be moving too fast for anyone to hook into.  More consistently favourable winds associated with a trough should be encountered in about 7-8 days when the southern sleigh ride should start. Don't miss the ride.

19-Nov      
00:15UTC      
1 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 20864.96
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 8.74
3 Iced Tea rule69 27.4
4 gavinbpk PGB 28.5
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 29.3
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 34.4
7 MasterRobin MasterRobin 39.1
8 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 42.2
9 TocToc Vuvuzela 45.8
10 gary Hschutz 47.1
11 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 47.6
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 62.8
13 F15 AUS AUS3572 63.1
14 CordRipper RumHam 65.5
15 viper43 viper64043 67.9
16 daan62 hutspot77 75.6
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 77.4
18 kea.nn kea.nn SA 81.3
19 Vin Divided Sky 102.2
20 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 103.3
21 Hydrogene Eau gazeuse 105.5
22 Gufmiester BigBalls 113.3
23 12345 Siafu 130.5
24 Mike G MikeVentura 137.7
25 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 137.9
26 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 143
27 Will Lee Lorraine III 148.6
28 Raz'r SVKahoots 148.6
29 MobyBick MobyBick 150.7
30 arr4ws Arr4ws 151.4
31 SteveJH Stephen_1987 160.2
32 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 165.4
33 Wattie MuritaiWatt 167.6
34 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 172.7
35 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 173.3
36 Headntac Ryoochi 180.1
37 PB2207 Chi-2207 185.7
38 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 282.9
39 x2sea m2for-SA 319.5
40 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 322.4
41 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 325.5
42 Laser1 Hotfoot 337.4
43 mad Sticky 371.2
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 372.3
45 Mid SA_Mid 539.3
46 CapnK KR deCap 712.6

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

Firstly welcome back into the fold to  the select band of reprobates who have scuttled back out from the woodwork fashionably late  to join this exercise in boredom, frustration and annoyance.

The leaders have successfully negotiated the Doldrums, while barely noticing the road bump - probably the smoothest transition that I have ever had.  We are about to enter the southern hemisphere so I will preempt Mom's warning to remember to change to S in the Zezo coordinates or you will find yourself tracking back up the Atlantic, rather than southwards.

The leading gang is staying split in two, the westerners are slightly further south, but in less wind with a tighter angle, so the easterners are coming back into it, however, those to the far east have been dropping down the leader board quite severely due to a lack of wind - Divided Sky having lost the most places.  The general angle that the fleet is taking seems to be more southerly than would be expected giving the Brazilian parking lot (see thread in Sailing Anarchy) a wide berth.

Looking ahead, the conditions seem to be fairly consistent with the Trades increasingly lifting the fleet and sheets being eased.  The forecast predicts a small, fast moving low skitting across in front of the leaders in about 5 days, but it should be moving too fast for anyone to hook into.  More consistently favourable winds associated with a trough should be encountered in about 7-8 days when the southern sleigh ride should start. Don't miss the ride.

19-Nov      
1 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 20864.96
2 Your Mom Your Mom SA 8.74
3 Iced Tea rule69 27.4
4 gavinbpk PGB 28.5
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 29.3
6 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 34.4
7 MasterRobin MasterRobin 39.1
8 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 42.2
9 TocToc Vuvuzela 45.8
10 gary Hschutz 47.1
11 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 47.6
12 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 62.8
13 F15 AUS AUS3572 63.1
14 CordRipper RumHam 65.5
15 viper43 viper64043 67.9
16 daan62 hutspot77 75.6
17 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 77.4
18 kea.nn kea.nn SA 81.3
19 Vin Divided Sky 102.2
20 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 103.3
21 Hydrogene Eau gazeuse 105.5
22 Gufmiester BigBalls 113.3
23 12345 Siafu 130.5
24 Mike G MikeVentura 137.7
25 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 137.9
26 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 143
27 Will Lee Lorraine III 148.6
28 Raz'r SVKahoots 148.6
29 MobyBick MobyBick 150.7
30 arr4ws Arr4ws 151.4
31 SteveJH Stephen_1987 160.2
32 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 165.4
33 Wattie MuritaiWatt 167.6
34 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 172.7
35 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 173.3
36 Headntac Ryoochi 180.1
37 PB2207 Chi-2207 185.7
38 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 282.9
39 x2sea m2for-SA 319.5
40 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 322.4
41 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 325.5
42 Laser1 Hotfoot 337.4
43 mad Sticky 371.2
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 372.3
45 Mid SA_Mid 539.3
46 CapnK KR deCap 712.6

Holy shit! I've never been this high in any virtual racing we've done! This cannot last. 

2 hours ago, PB2207 said:

So how long are those guys on the coast going to be 'in the lead'? I understand there's some invisible gates we (and I assume the actual race) uses to measure this but does anyone know when it's going to flip to the actual 'leaders'? All the way down at the Cape? 

I think it's pretty much based on distance to the Cape of Good Hope at the moment, so those who went West still aren't producing high VMG's.  You'll probably start seeing new leaders popping up progressively further West in the next day or so.  Clowner popped up as a new leader for a little while today.  The real leader might not emerge for good until after the West pack reaches the ice limit and turns properly East.

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I think it's pretty much based on distance to the Cape of Good Hope at the moment, so those who went West still aren't producing high VMG's.  You'll probably start seeing new leaders popping up progressively further West in the next day or so.  Clowner popped up as a new leader for a little while today.  The real leader might not emerge for good until after the West pack reaches the ice limit and turns properly East.

image.png.67bb78f83a6698cc0b063ca82c4cc121.png

Next week looks like a challenge. The Hi splits let’s a Low slide south between them . Then the Hi reforms, but HUGE holes above it and wind way west. There is a low coming about the time we get there , though Zezo says go SE now. But that’s a stretch this far north for a Zezo call to go SE now. been there done that , it’s a no go for me but???..

CBD6A53C-5C30-4341-B0EC-B056ED4B0CAA.png

5 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Next week looks like a challenge. The Hi splits let’s a Low slide south between them . Then the Hi reforms, but HUGE holes above it and wind way west. There is a low coming about the time we get there , though Zezo says go SW now. But that’s a stretch this far north for a Zezo call to go SW. been there done that , it’s a no go for me now..

I'm just trying to get South as fast as I can, hoping that by the time the forecast stabilizes, it'll give me something I can work with instead of having to dive behind the fleet West of me.  I hate chasing forecasts that change the routing dramatically every 6 hours.

• Downvote 1

I here ya. Long range my Zezo aiming point is in the Souther Indian Ocean 16 days out. Short term simply south to wind...

Sideshow is my bench mark. Two boats travel faster than one. Nothing you’ve gone or I’ve done did much on his distance ahead. I’ll keep trying to pass him though. He keeps me from taking fliers. B)

2 hours ago, PB2207 said:

Me too. Right around peak hours for France I'm guessing. Metal note for later for me. 

Or lots of people micromanaging to cross the doldrums. I started late and will be there tomorrow and I really don't want my programmation to end on a twa setting to take me into the brazillian coast.

It does work for me again and I'll make sure to end my programmations in a course straight south for now in case it fails again.

On 11/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

The boat named Eau Gazeuse / sparkling water 
As in Hydrogene bubbles in water?

Then Again Hydrogene + sailing ANARCHY coul be seen as trouble by some but not those  here. 

What do you guys do/ make for VR Games?

OR

Are you doing something / sponsoring for the Real Vendee Globe RC / Organization or Boats?

We could all be Partner's , Code Please. :ph34r:

I work for a newspaper sponsoring a major single handed offshore race in France. Starts with an F and ends with an O. We are a partner for VR for this race. :ph34r:

The code I got was one use only, sorry.

Hello,

All the leaders are still reaching SSW with a variety of speeds, generally slightly quicker in the east, but the difference is not great.  The main thing on the horizon is the trough that will be met in about 2.5 days and whether people think they can ride that far enough to the SE or whether it is quicker to head S and ride the edge of the ice limit.

Anyway - here is a quick screen shot showing the position of the top 10 to demonstrate how meaningful the current rankings are:

image.thumb.png.811d26c26bd570dee1159a66b613b5bb.png 

No rankings over the weekend - boat delivery tomorrow and hiking with the missus and the dog on Sunday. Enjoy your weekend.

20-Nov      
01:00UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 20657
2 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 5.88
3 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 8.07
4 gavinbpk PGB 12.8
5 MasterRobin MasterRobin 14.5
6 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15.7
7 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 17.3
8 Iced Tea rule69 28.9
9 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 41
10 TocToc Vuvuzela 42.9
11 viper43 viper64043 50.4
12 gary Hschutz 58.2
13 kea.nn kea.nn SA 59.8
14 CordRipper RumHam 66
15 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 69.4
16 F15 AUS AUS3572 71.2
17 Gufmiester BigBalls 73.1
18 daan62 hutspot77 73.4
19 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 80.8
20 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 88.7
21 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 113.2
22 12345 Siafu 116.8
23 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 118.6
24 Will Lee Lorraine III 126.6
25 Raz'r SVKahoots 129
26 Mike G MikeVentura 134.9
27 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 140.9
28 arr4ws Arr4ws 141.3
29 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 160.3
30 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 163.2
31 SteveJH Stephen_1987 166.3
32 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 168.4
33 PB2207 Chi-2207 168.4
34 Wattie MuritaiWatt 193.8
35 MobyBick MobyBick 197.9
36 Headntac Ryoochi 204.8
37 Vin Divided Sky 208.6
38 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 280.6
39 x2sea m2for-SA 296.9
40 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 301.6
41 Mid SA_Mid 341.3
42 Laser1 Hotfoot 380.6
43 mad Sticky 391.2
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 394.1
45 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 431.1
46 CapnK KR deCap 691.1
  • Like 6

15,000 place climb in VR, no change SA standings, but a 30 mile loss on the SA leader board. I really screwed the pooch with the call to not head west early enough, but am crossing my fingers for some more speed now on the other side of the Doldrums. 

Thanks for the Updates Rat. Appreciated.

On 11/12/2020 at 8:21 AM, chuso007 said:

Only lost 150k places in the process so far, I hope it pays out later

I bet that didn't pan out as expected.  Sorry to see you fall off the back of the wagon :o

• Like 1

The comparison of the Africa coast huggers with early breakaway riders in Tour the France stages by VR in the latest news is really good. Out for the early TV presence with hardly any chance of success.Overall the latest ingame news is really good writing. While i often criticize VR i also have to applaud them ;) Well written Dragon1503.

Edit: And the transition to the south gets worse every 6 hours #missingthepukeicon#

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Laser1 said:

I bet that didn't pan out as expected.  Sorry to see you fall off the back of the wagon :o

Yeah, I was on a business trip too and didn't pay much attention...

• Like 1

I used to sail these virtual races years ago, but gave up when I realized that I did not have the ability to run with the leaders, and was wasting too much time trying to.

I have a  question, does it look like anyone is going to try and run down the Argentinian coast and run ENE up along the Ice boundary? Looks like a far out way to go in many different ways.

I got in late, and it dropped me far to the rear of the pack and well behind a huge bubble of non-wind. Doubt I'll ever get to being anywhere near the rest of y'all (other than Mid) , but I'll see if i can't place better than the current rank of 334,246 by the time it ends.  :D

5 hours ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

I have a  question, does it look like anyone is going to try and run down the Argentinian coast and run ENE up along the Ice boundary? Looks like a far out way to go in many different ways.

I think that routing would make sense in Ultime Tris, which can do 40 kts.  But not with polars that top out at about 23 kts.  Too much extra distance.  Spektakel is the only boat I'm tracking that appears to be trying a route like that.

After another day or so of good southbound sailing, we're going to have a mess for a couple days.  Then a nice big system will come into the picture, and everyone who catches it (probably 200,000 boats) will be on nearly equal terms as far as long term prognosis.

I found it humorous that this morning's news article included a pile of well-know virtual racers, who are all behind me (as well as some professionals who are straight in my wake) without mentioning me.  I don't mind...  the more notoriety I get, the more I get new racers pinging me to ask for advice, etc.  And I'm not surprised...  They aren't going to talk about an American named Your Mom until Mom's in front.

• Like 1

it’s ok mom you are a great vboat racer. We’re lucky to have you here. Mickey a SA member is fast too, from a time when prizes were really something in vracing. Sideshow got a Volvo of winning the Volvo one year.  Mick got to fly to a Volvo stage start and a ride in the pro am harbor race for winning a Volvo leg vracing. I’ve got to look him up see if he is out this time. 

Any body know: What’s that weather thing in the wind in front of the real leaders called down here. It’s 24 hrs out it stopped Alexes Boss charge south and is forcing us east. too much  wind for a ridge is it a southern ocean trough or just a stalled front?  Cold or warm front? I’ve seen them before down they are like the wake tail of a low as it spins out offshore heading south and east. 

F78487FB-5849-44F4-89A1-37D3AF3F610A.png

Good morning,

The leaders are now at one of the crunch times - mess this up and you will miss the ride out of here.  Get it right and you could be near the front of the pack heading east at speed.  The westerners seem to have been forced to join the easterners and, thankfully, are slotting in behind the leaders.  However Mom followed by Gybe Turkey (who seems to have survived the weekend unscathed) are heading more to the SE.  Myself and PGB are keeping going just E of S and hoping to negotiate the trough before hooking into the low that will sneak us in front of Your Mom.

A N-S gap is developing behind hooperdrivestheboat, even though the rankings give different info.  it may be tough for people behind to jump back into the leading group.

At the back Mid and KR de Cap are still loitering in the Doldrums, everyone else has made it through.

In other news - gutted to see HB's problems.

23-Nov      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 20017.06
2 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 31.4
3 Iced Tea rule69 35.8
4 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 39.4
5 arr4ws Arr4ws 64.7
6 kea.nn kea.nn SA 65.9
7 viper43 viper64043 69.7
8 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 72.5
9 TocToc Vuvuzela 81.1
10 gavinbpk PGB 83.8
11 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 90.4
12 CordRipper RumHam 95.1
13 MasterRobin MasterRobin 96
14 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 98.4
15 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 111.7
16 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 114.3
17 F15 AUS AUS3572 114.3
18 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 122.1
19 daan62 hutspot77 134.5
20 Will Lee Lorraine III 135.2
21 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 139.3
22 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 140.5
23 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 141.2
24 Gufmiester BigBalls 146
25 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 147.4
26 12345 Siafu 153.9
27 gary Hschutz 154.5
28 Mike G MikeVentura 155.1
29 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 161.1
30 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 168.8
31 Raz'r SVKahoots 183.8
32 Flaming Flaming 186.2
33 PB2207 Chi-2207 256.2
34 SteveJH Stephen_1987 259
35 MobyBick MobyBick 339.1
36 Headntac Ryoochi 372.1
37 Wattie MuritaiWatt 383.3
38 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 403.2
39 x2sea m2for-SA 439.9
40 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 444.7
41 mad Sticky 536.1
42 Vin Divided Sky 565.9
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 604.6
44 Mid SA_Mid 709.8
45 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 763.7
46 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 918
47 CapnK KR deCap 1021.4
  • Like 4

really interesting transition coming up over the next few days, who will get south first?

All these bloody boats seem to go the same speed, no idea why.

You can add Rushour to your SA list if you wish Tunnel Rat. I worked out how to follow you a couple of days ago.

If anyone knows how to change the colour of a boat (or background colour) let me know, mine is black on a black screen...... not ideal.

• Like 1