Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

13 hours ago, PB2207 said:

After a week sailing through the southern ocean, mostly on different lines @Headntac and I are reunited at the bulge, again. I swear I can't shake this guy. 

Pretty sure most around me are running foils based on some quick polars though, so I'll take it as a win for now. My team couldn't find the budget for them this race.

We have our own club for the financially challenged.

image.thumb.png.d015afdace60a032b13a8628ccd51e74.png

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

I mean, let's be honest here for a moment. You buy the pack that pretty much automatically puts you in the top 25,000 or so with minimal to no effort.

You guys cranking it out just on previous points are the real heros.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mad said:

We have our own club for the financially challenged

I grabbed heavy sails when starting up which probably helped me catch the back of the first train in the S. Ocean where you guys got trapped. Although I do see Kenny altered the rules up thread, kinda feel guilty joining now that I'm 1000+ miles ahead.

That being said I'm probably missing the next train in a handful days south of Cape Leeuwin. There's a giant dead spot predicted to form and gobble me up for a couple days. 

47 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Alberto Bona Impressive placement. The real deal with good gaming skills. Is this a flash in the pan? No French single handlers in site... What do you know about him? I’m assuming he’s a VR invited Mini Rockstar.

Certainly till now the best of the certified racers. Question remains: is it he himself doing all the sailing or is it split among his team (like we know is the case for Gabart). Two french guys, Nebout and Peyron, are in my zip code some 40-50 nm further back.

28 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

I grabbed heavy sails when starting up which probably helped me catch the back of the first train in the S. Ocean where you guys got trapped. Although I do see Kenny altered the rules up thread, kinda feel guilty joining now that I'm 1000+ miles ahead.

That being said I'm probably missing the next train in a handful days south of Cape Leeuwin. There's a giant dead spot predicted to form and gobble me up for a couple days. 

Code 0 and heavy weather sails was as far as the budget would go, been suffering in the light stuff as I fall off the back of each system.:rolleyes:

2 hours ago, TPG said:

I mean, let's be honest here for a moment. You buy the pack that pretty much automatically puts you in the top 25,000 or so with minimal to no effort.

Paying attention would help as well:P

2 hours ago, TPG said:

1 hour ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Alberto Bona Impressive placement. The real deal with good gaming skills. Is this a flash in the pan? No French single handlers in site... What do you know about him? I’m assuming he’s a VR invited Mini Rockstar.

Regarding running on credits...  It depends a bit on how many credits you're running on.  If this is your first race and you're just running on what they give you, then yeah...  there's a limit on how well you can expect to do.  But when you finish races, you earn credits based on your finish, so you can accumulate enough to occasionally run with full options without ever paying money.  I'm guessing some people who regularly race free and have never paid probably saved up in anticipation of Vendee.  If you buy all of the options with credits, you can compete fully against the full pack boats.  No disadvantage (aside from the new limit of max 2 programmations at a time...).  I've won races that I ran on credits.

How much work is required by a full pack boat to beat the best non-FP boats depends on the race and weather circumstances.  There are plenty of races where the conditions require fewer options and more attention than this one.  Coastal races like C600, attentive free boats will crush inattentive FP boats.

Regarding Bona and the other "certified" entries.  They've had "certified" entries in many races, but of course more in VG than most races.  As with everyone else running FP, the main distinction is how seriously they take it.  Plenty of pros wind up sailing long straight lines and being way off the pace while they obviously just check it once every few days.  My sense is that some of the pros are quite good at routing (in real life), and when those particular pros decide to take a race seriously, they already have the skills required to do well.

I haven't noticed Bona before, but he's clearly doing well.  He followed an Easterly strategy early, like me, which got him an edge.  He seems to be holding onto it pretty well.  If you click on his boat, there's a secondary icon in his profile that'll show his history.  Looks like he finished 53rd in Transat AG2R, which is pretty good. Nothing exceptional before that.

The pro I figured at the start to be most likely to finish highest was Quentin Vlamynck.  I don't know much about him, but apparently he's known to be excellent at routing.  If you check his history, you'll see he's done a bunch of races and finished 12th in one.  I think he's doing the best among the pros who didn't go East with Bona, and I'd guess he'll eventually catch Bona.  But...  it's weird...  he's no longer being shown as "certified".  I don't know why.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Regarding running on credits...  It depends a bit on how many credits you're running on.  If this is your first race and you're just running on what they give you, then yeah...  there's a limit on how well you can expect to do.  But when you finish races, you earn credits based on your finish, so you can accumulate enough to occasionally run with full options without ever paying money.  I'm guessing some people who regularly race free and have never paid probably saved up in anticipation of Vendee.  If you buy all of the options with credits, you can compete fully against the full pack boats.  No disadvantage (aside from the new limit of max 2 programmations at a time...).  I've won races that I ran on credits.

How much work is required by a full pack boat to beat the best non-FP boats depends on the race and weather circumstances.  There are plenty of races where the conditions require fewer options and more attention than this one.  Coastal races like C600, attentive free boats will crush inattentive FP boats.

Regarding Bona and the other "certified" entries.  They've had "certified" entries in many races, but of course more in VG than most races.  As with everyone else running FP, the main distinction is how seriously they take it.  Plenty of pros wind up sailing long straight lines and being way off the pace while they obviously just check it once every few days.  My sense is that some of the pros are quite good at routing (in real life), and when those particular pros decide to take a race seriously, they already have the skills required to do well.

I haven't noticed Bona before, but he's clearly doing well.  He followed an Easterly strategy early, like me, which got him an edge.  He seems to be holding onto it pretty well.  If you click on his boat, there's a secondary icon in his profile that'll show his history.  Looks like he finished 53rd in Transat AG2R, which is pretty good. Nothing exceptional before that.

The pro I figured at the start to be most likely to finish highest was Quentin Vlamynck.  I don't know much about him, but apparently he's known to be excellent at routing.  If you check his history, you'll see he's done a bunch of races and finished 12th in one.  I think he's doing the best among the pros who didn't go East with Bona, and I'd guess he'll eventually catch Bona.  But...  it's weird...  he's no longer being shown as "certified".  I don't know why.

never paid a dime....

just sailed all the races with the 'available for this race' coins and saved whatever came back (mostly for this race).

this is my first race with full options. for that i didn't know what it would cost and wildly miscalculated...:

image.thumb.png.5e34a23bafd66c850fcdadf985071480.png

1 hour ago, mad said:

I Know i've mentioned this before, but anybody else seeing this after they alter course by a couple of degrees?

You mean the jiggly line behind you?  Usually lines like that are because of the difference between the data in the user interface versus the server.  The server is what matters, but the user interface moves your boat along.  At the update once every 10 minutes, they re-sync.  In most cases, the differences are negligible.  But if rapid windshifts or major changes in the forecast occur, they can be temporarily quite different.  In such cases, if you stay in the game and you're sailing a locked TWA, you'll see a jagged line, where it moves you according to the UI, and then shifts you to sync with the server, repeatedly.  It's important in those cases to not manually overreact, or you'll wind up actually making it even worse (like oversteering in a real boat and looking back to see a winding wake), and it can also result in unwanted sailchanges.

I usually don't stay in the game persistently in such cases.  I set what I want and exit, so that I won't be tempted by the situation to manually adjust things excessively.  I might re-enter frequently, but I'll trust what I see in the Dashboard (which matches the server) rather than the mess shown by the UI.

• Like 3

I noticed the real VG leader Charlie Dalin is (I assume) looking at taking the same pressure system I'm about to gybe into back in the pack. Our polars won't allow us to hook into the front edge and ride the wave all the way, but I'm guessing he does if the sea state cooperates? I wouldn't be surprised if he takes off for the next couple days riding that pressure system past 110 east.

3 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Thanks for pointing this out. There is also a third one slightly further south. Very close to my course that I had not noticed .

Wouter's rule...  Always zoom in before going to bed.

• Like 4

Looking around the VR home page I noticed an option to create a sailing team.  No idea what it’s for but I created a team.  It’s called SA Sailing Club so join if you want and maybe Mom can explain what the team option is for. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WetHog said:

Looking around the VR home page I noticed an option to create a sailing team.  No idea what it’s for but I created a team.  It’s called SA Sailing Club so join if you want and maybe Mom can explain what the team option is for. 

Teams can see each other and usually collaborate on strategies.  I think you can also see your team's internal ranking, so if we were all in a team, I guess it would put TR out of a job.  But the main point is that each race has a ranking of teams.  I can't remember how it's scored...  something like the sum of the positions of the best four of five in each team.  Then there's also an overall ranking of teams (like the VSR rankings) called the "hall of fame".

I've chosen to completely stay out of it.  Back when I was #1 in the world rankings, I got asked quite frequently by people to join their teams.  I got tired of politely declining so often, so I eventually formed a private team called "Sorry, No Team" with a comment saying I am not interesting in joining a team or joining anyone else's team.  It mostly worked, but I still occasionally get requests.

The thing is...  I like to run my own race.  Sometimes I take flyers.  Sometimes I don't.  I do more often than most contenders.  But I don't want to feel obligated to share my plans, explain my flyers, etc, all to my teammates, and I also don't want to feel responsible for the damage to others if they follow me on a flyer that fails.  Also, I enjoy sharing my thoughts publicly, here and in the Zezo forums (and occasionally in the VR forums), and I'd rather not feel obligated to keep those thoughts "in-house" with a team.  So...  the teams are a fun thing, but it's not my bag.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, WetHog said:

image.thumb.png.e8bf1cf77d2b8e87b04a1d5266f34c3c.png

On 12/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, mad said:

Anybody know how to get rid of the annoying tutorial guides that keep popping up in the last few hours?  looks like they've done an upgrade?

Didn't get those but am getting annoying VIP purchase offers since days even so i already have full pack bought with previously earned credits.

9 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Teams can see each other and usually collaborate on strategies.  I think you can also see your team's internal ranking, so if we were all in a team, I guess it would put TR out of a job.  But the main point is that each race has a ranking of teams.  I can't remember how it's scored...  something like the sum of the positions of the best four of five in each team.  Then there's also an overall ranking of teams (like the VSR rankings) called the "hall of fame".

I've chosen to completely stay out of it.  Back when I was #1 in the world rankings, I got asked quite frequently by people to join their teams.  I got tired of politely declining so often, so I eventually formed a private team called "Sorry, No Team" with a comment saying I am not interesting in joining a team or joining anyone else's team.  It mostly worked, but I still occasionally get requests.

The thing is...  I like to run my own race.  Sometimes I take flyers.  Sometimes I don't.  I do more often than most contenders.  But I don't want to feel obligated to share my plans, explain my flyers, etc, all to my teammates, and I also don't want to feel responsible for the damage to others if they follow me on a flyer that fails.  Also, I enjoy sharing my thoughts publicly, here and in the Zezo forums (and occasionally in the VR forums), and I'd rather not feel obligated to keep those thoughts "in-house" with a team.  So...  the teams are a fun thing, but it's not my bag.

Well I didn’t start it with the expectation we would share strategy.  Just remember during the last VOR trying to create a yacht club that we could all join so we were unified in one group.  Easier to keep track of everyone.  This sounds cool as a way to do that and see how we rank with other teams without the strategy sharing part.  

Anyway, I’ll leave it up and those that want can join and no I won’t expect strategy to be shared.  And I’m listed as coach but there is no shot I’ll be coaching anyone.  Also, the red icons over our boats look cool. 

• Like 1
On 12/3/2020 at 8:22 PM, Hike, Bitches! said:

@Tunnel Rat- I know we all say it, but thanks again for the daily position updates. I check in on this thread and go sail my boat on virtualregatta.com. No routing, no Zezo, etc. But I did that back in the day.. It is obvious when you stop those essentials you will fall down in the results.

I enjoy the friendly competition in the back. Me and @x2sea have a nice rivalry going back several virtual regattas. Kicking my ass at present after I made a bad move coming south from France. Bedtime here on the East Coast of the US.

I'm urging you on @Hike, Bitches!. I can do that because you're so fucking far behind.. :)  I"m playing with  PB2207 right now and hoping my full pack will grind him down in the end. I miss the odd video from Driftwood and used to duke it out with Wet Hog, @daan62 et. al. 

I'm okay with climbing back to 60someithing thousand after starting 3 days late in the 350,000s.  Not much to do until the Atlantic.

Always appreciate @Tunnel Rat's position updates and Your Mom's generous input.

Another painful transition at 2,3 & 4 knots last 24 hours while the front 50K are speeding off into a galaxy far away at 20 knots +

Ah well, time to concentrate on our own little battles.

17 hours ago, Your Mom said:

Interesting watching your gybing duel along the ice cliff (from way back at 91,000). 

Curious to know what you are finding the optimum time/distance spent on each gybe vs the competition bearing in mind the short time penalty for each manoeuvre. 

7 hours ago, mad said:

We have strategies????:wacko::P

Are you trying to tell me catching the ferry for 23 days then spending my credits on a Zero and Hull Polish doesn't count as strategy?!

48 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Another painful transition at 2,3 & 4 knots last 24 hours while the front 50K are speeding off into a galaxy far away at 20 knots +

Ah well, time to concentrate on our own little battles.

I won't deny that your pain has been my gain. It's lonely back here.

Meanwhile, somewhere nearly due south of Colombo

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 22.16.36.png

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Interesting watching your gybing duel along the ice cliff (from way back at 91,000). 

Curious to know what you are finding the optimum time/distance spent on each gybe vs the competition bearing in mind the short time penalty for each manoeuvre. 

This race can be endlessly infuriating...  I'm working my ass off to catch the leaders and hold off the chasers, short-gybing for 24 hours now, but basic fleet compression has been bringing us together, and will continue to do so for 3-4 more days.  While I've been short-gybing, the boats immediately behind have had a bit more breeze for a day now, and those back around 8,000th have had a hotter angle so they haven't had to short-gybe as much.  If you look ahead a couple days, I'll sail into a light patch near the center of this system, and can't get south of it because of the ice limit.  The chasers will all close right up.  By Wednesday, we'll pretty much have a restart among the top 8,000 or so.  Then again...  I knew that would happen and was predicting it before the equator.  I probably should be lazy right now and focus more on doing well after the restart...  But...  that isn't my nature.

I've tried to run math a couple times in the past for short-gybing and short-tacking, but I finally came to realize the answer varies by the situation.  Usually if you're doing it, it's because there's better windspeed near the limit (or land, in other races), or because a windshift is progressing that makes it preferable to be to that side of the shift.  Or both, which is the case right now.  The optimal time on each gybe depends on the wind gradient as you diverge from the limit, and/or the speed of the windshift.  The other factor is how attentive you're able to be, because one limit incursion blows up a lot of careful work.

• Like 2

Good morning,

The Kerguelens have been left behind by the leaders who have about 3 days to get to Cape Leeuwin.  There has been lots of gybing since the last report, with yours truly sticking his toe over the line and getting slapped by the virtual invigilators.   The wind is going to veer to the NW relieving us from this unceasing gybe fest.  I'm very happy that I am not doing this as a real life skipper or crew on one of these boats!  One thing to watch is the changing VMG angles as the wind speed decreases.

There is now a very big gap from Moby Bick back to the happy threesome that has now morphed into a full scale orgy with 7 of you now engaged in all sorts of intimacy and contortions.   

At the moment the northerners are favoured in the ranking so here it is:

7-Dec      
00:15UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 14688.54
2 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 13.9
3 Will Lee Lorraine III 14
4 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 14.4
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15.2
6 Iced Tea rule69 18.1
7 kea.nn kea.nn SA 24.5
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 24.7
9 gavinbpk PGB 29.5
10 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 35.5
11 Gufmiester BigBalls 35.9
12 daan62 hutspot77 36.6
13 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 38.4
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 39.1
15 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 42.6
16 sailon2 jahmbo SA 56.8
17 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 58.9
18 TocToc Vuvuzela 60.7
19 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 63.9
20 viper43 viper64043 76.6
21 arr4ws Arr4ws 82.3
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 83
23 CordRipper RumHam 98.6
24 bushsailor rushour 100.7
25 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 101.5
26 Mike G MikeVentura 132.9
27 12345 Siafu 137.5
28 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 147.8
29 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 164.7
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 182.6
31 Raz'r SVKahoots 188.2
32 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 270.2
33 SteveJH Stephen_1987 356.4
34 Flaming Flaming 514
35 Headntac Ryoochi 646
36 x2sea m2for-SA 679
37 PB2207 Chi-2207 705
38 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1312
39 MobyBick MobyBick 1480
40 mad Sticky 2316.7
41 Laser1 Hotfoot 2321.4
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 2354.5
43 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 2366.4
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 2375.8
45 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 2375.9
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2382
47 Vin Divided Sky 2434
48 gary Hschutz 2608
49 CapnK KR deCap 3068
50 klymen klymen 3288
51 Mid SA_Mid 3311

EDIT  - BTW - @Will Lee (aka Lorraine III) and @Gybe Turkey  keep falling off my friends list and it is annoying to have to keep adding you every time.  I'm not sure if you have turned off followers or something, but it would be appreciated if you could let me keep following you.  Thanks.  

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

EDIT  - BTW - @Will Lee (aka Lorraine III) and @Gybe Turkey  keep falling off my friends list and it is annoying to have to keep adding you every time.  I'm not sure if you have turned off followers or something, but it would be appreciated if you could let me keep following you.  Thanks.  

I only can mention to this, that I didn't turn off anything... I can still see you following me, as I follow you (which is quite exciting ;)).

But VR also random hides other followed boats for me or boats in my team, so I don't know what I could do about it...

Big Thanks anyway for your reports!

• Like 1
Just now, Will Lee said:

I only can mention to this, that I didn't turn off anything... I can still see you following me, as I follow you (which is quite exciting ;)).

But VR also random hides other followed boats for me or boats in my team, so I don't know what I could do about it...

Big Thanks anyway for your reports!

OK, probably some glitch.  No worries.

20 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

So I splashed for the VIP package, which gets you routing....haven’t used it much, ran it today just to see what it would do and and got this.........which really is not very useful

6AAFAF17-745F-40C3-B1FA-73F2BBAB9890.png

You should definitely try this routing!

Do you feel you have got value for money?

• Like 1

It’s pretty obvious how stupid the ice line is. I think it should be a soft line, where your average latitude for a given section needs to be above the line. You could implement this lots of ways. 

You guys are the game experts.  How would you make this a better game?

35 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

You should definitely try this routing!

Do you feel you have got value for money?

I started using this early this past week and I have  moved up about 15000 places. So it was worth it. Kind of stumbled across it and thought what the hell.

7 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

I started using this early this past week and I have  moved up about 15000 places. So it was worth it. Kind of stumbled across it and thought what the hell.

Zezo is better and goes further

so, what’s the significance of Point Nemo, appeared in the game and as a routine point is zezo....

I should add, I know what point Nemo (middle of nowhere) but why has it appeared in the game

1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Ditto what Will said. I have been following you and most of the SA'ers since whenever this group was formed. Have never blocked anyone if it is even possible. Always appreciate the comments and updates in standings so thanks again Rat!      

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tunnel Rat said:

This is actually just a glitch in the game.  They aren't disappearing from your follow list, as far as I know.  But you can only follow so many.  If you follow too many, then certain boats start persistently being dropped from what you're shown.  I'm not sure how it decides which to drop.  To get them to show consistently you need to go into your list of followed boats and un-follow some.  Easy if you have some old entries in there that aren't racing anymore, but problematic if you actually want to track everyone in your list.

27 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

It’s pretty obvious how stupid the ice line is. I think it should be a soft line, where your average latitude for a given section needs to be above the line. You could implement this lots of ways. You guys are the game experts.  How would you make this a better game?

Most of their games don't have an ice limit at all.  Keep in mind their goal here is to make it as comparable to the real race as possible.  The ice limit matches that of the real one.  They can't easily enforce the same penalty here as the real race, though.  I think the penalty they've defined is harsh enough to be comparable to the real race.  You don't have to like it, but if a real life boat briefly crosses the same line, they'll face a significant penalty.

18 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

so, what’s the significance of Point Nemo, appeared in the game and as a routine point is zezo....

I should add, I know what point Nemo (middle of nowhere) but why has it appeared in the game

One of the sponsors (Ulysses Nardin) has put up a $8,900 watch for whoever finishes first at the end, among boats who pass within 5 nm of Point Nemo.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

This is actually just a glitch in the game.  They aren't disappearing from your follow list, as far as I know.  But you can only follow so many.  If you follow too many, then certain boats start persistently being dropped from what you're shown.  I'm not sure how it decides which to drop.  To get them to show consistently you need to go into your list of followed boats and un-follow some.  Easy if you have some old entries in there that aren't racing anymore, but problematic if you actually want to track everyone in your list.

Thanks for that.  I have ruthlessly evicted all non-participants from my list and I can now see Gybe Turkey, but Lorraine III is still being shy. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

Good morning,

The Kerguelens have been left behind by the leaders who have about 3 days to get to Cape Leeuwin.  There has been lots of gybing since the last report, with yours truly sticking his toe over the line and getting slapped by the virtual invigilators.   The wind is going to veer to the NW relieving us from this unceasing gybe fest.  I'm very happy that I am not doing this as a real life skipper or crew on one of these boats!  One thing to watch is the changing VMG angles as the wind speed decreases.

There is now a very big gap from Moby Bick back to the happy threesome that has now morphed into a full scale orgy with 7 of you now engaged in all sorts of intimacy and contortions.   

At the moment the northerners are favoured in the ranking so here it is:

7-Dec      
00:15UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 14688.54
2 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 13.9
3 Will Lee Lorraine III 14
4 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 14.4
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 15.2
6 Iced Tea rule69 18.1
7 kea.nn kea.nn SA 24.5
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 24.7
9 gavinbpk PGB 29.5
10 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 35.5
11 Gufmiester BigBalls 35.9
12 daan62 hutspot77 36.6
13 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 38.4
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 39.1
15 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 42.6
16 sailon2 jahmbo SA 56.8
17 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 58.9
18 TocToc Vuvuzela 60.7
19 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 63.9
20 viper43 viper64043 76.6
21 arr4ws Arr4ws 82.3
22 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 83
23 CordRipper RumHam 98.6
24 bushsailor rushour 100.7
25 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 101.5
26 Mike G MikeVentura 132.9
27 12345 Siafu 137.5
28 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 147.8
29 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 164.7
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 182.6
31 Raz'r SVKahoots 188.2
32 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 270.2
33 SteveJH Stephen_1987 356.4
34 Flaming Flaming 514
35 Headntac Ryoochi 646
36 x2sea m2for-SA 679
37 PB2207 Chi-2207 705
38 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1312
39 MobyBick MobyBick 1480
40 mad Sticky 2316.7
41 Laser1 Hotfoot 2321.4
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 2354.5
43 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 2366.4
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 2375.8
45 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 2375.9
46 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2382
47 Vin Divided Sky 2434
48 gary Hschutz 2608
49 CapnK KR deCap 3068
50 klymen klymen 3288
51 Mid SA_Mid 3311

Thanks for the description. :lol::lol:

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

So I splashed for the VIP package, which gets you routing....haven’t used it much, ran it today just to see what it would do and and got this.........which really is not very useful

6AAFAF17-745F-40C3-B1FA-73F2BBAB9890.png

There's a lot of follow the leader along the ice boundary for everybody at times, its a pain in the ......!!

But that's spectacularly useless.:P

14 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Does it really route you below the ice limit? If so, LOL.

3 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

So there is a glitch in the game weather coming up between 24 and 48 hrs the estimated course line barely advances.....should be at the top of the ice limit at about 40 hrs.....

As @Your Mom previously mentioned somewhere: Might have to do with sail change depending on what sail you are on and how long auto sail is still running..

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

So there is a glitch in the game weather coming up between 24 and 48 hrs the estimated course line barely advances.....should be at the top of the ice limit at about 40 hrs.....

EBBFF29C-2AB2-4158-B67B-E9CB61D86A66.png

i saw that earlier and basically closed the game out of being annoyed by it.

15 minutes ago, Mudsailor said:

Have full auto sail and shows up fine after the glitch, it is something in the game weather data

I've encountered the issue a few times before.  It isn't a matter of autosails being off...  but it seems to be a bug where the scheduler is failing to recognize sailchanges beyond 12 hours in the future, or something like that.  So it shows you a route that has the wrong sail.  In some cases, it can be dramatic.  It's a problem if you can't be online at least once per 12 hours and you're trying to schedule something complicated where sailchanges will occur.  I decided to just not worry about it beyond 12 hours.

To clarify...  the autosails will still work correctly when you get there...  And eventually, the projection will look correct (at least for the period that was impacted by the bug, when that period gets closer to now after time passes).  I'm not saying the autosails will fail.  I'm just saying the projected line has some kind of issue with it beyond 12 hours.

• Like 1

Man, zezo still has me dropping down south and then coming back up like the front pack, but a hypothetical boat just a few hours ahead on my same line has a straight shot without dropping down south. Yesterday it was about 6 hours in front of me, now it's only 3 hours. Here's to hoping I can slip into that shift in about 24 hours that will take me straight east instead of SE. 

1 hour ago, PB2207 said:

Man, zezo still has me dropping down south and then coming back up like the front pack, but a hypothetical boat just a few hours ahead on my same line has a straight shot without dropping down south. Yesterday it was about 6 hours in front of me, now it's only 3 hours. Here's to hoping I can slip into that shift in about 24 hours that will take me straight east instead of SE. 

First off your the Navigator! Zeros a tool. It’s not ever perfect and right. The big dogs are always going for wind and angle. Boat speed rules. Hammer down ,Send it, at all times. Zezo says run at 135 TWA they are all going 150 TWA in strong dead down wind conditions. Zezo says saw tooth the red line at a 2 to 4 knot wind drop points. Leaders are runninging in stronger wind with a .6 to .9 knot TWS drop jibe points.. etc x10

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

First off your the Navigator! Zeros a tool. It’s not ever perfect and right

Yeah, didn't mean to imply I was just blindly following zezo. I'm actually on a similar line as @x2sea above, but I gybed earlier than zezo predicted by about 5 hours, putting me above him and I'm sailing tighter to the wind over that last 24 hours. I figured I could always come back down if I needed, but getting and staying ahead of this front as long as possible seemed best. We're both hoping it slows down more than it's predicted so we can ride it up to where the ice limit stops climbing.

Screenshot_20201207-141302.png

@ PB2207  

Don’t forget weather update times, things change. Check  after the  wind grib file updates for new plans. Get east fast , look at, the difference between auto angle and straight line hour markers.

When looking at hour markers with the wind tool check wind speed above or below on the course line. Big dogs run in more wind speed at all times....

With the wind set to the course line hour you are on. 24 hr mark and 24 hr wind map showing. Get the wind tool out scroll up and down along the course line at th 24 hr point looking for wind. 

Often there is  faster boat speed or wind just off the Zezo course number guess.  

Just send it till then..

FUCK OFF & Get them out! B)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, klymen said:

You guys get an estimated course line of longer than 24 hrs? Mine only goes to 24hrs. TBH it's not very useful beyond that anyway.

p.s. Shhhhhh, don't tell @CapnK about my upcoming super-secret strategic gybe or he'll cover his position! :lol:

Eat wake, squid.

:lol::lol:

I think that 24hrs is the limit, at least for us cheap slow freeloaders that didn't fork over any greenbux for those special dispensations which result in boat speed. ;)

Forecast has me potentially hitting a dead air spot in ~36 hours. I might be able to make the least of it with a dodge down towards the ice line, but you and Mid will have to make your move then.
I'll be watching. And manning the cannons. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Good morning,

I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make a person of more mature years blanche with terror.  I hope the child comes out the other side with reason intact!

I am also stunned to see that @klymen's cunning secret plan has been found out.  @CapnK's intelligence network is obviously on high alert......

The leaders have passed 90°E and are starting the climb up yet another bulge in the ice limit.  Lots of reaching with very few place changes.  It seems that we will all become even more intimately acquainted with the red line over the next few days.

8-Dec      
00:30UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 14236.28
2 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 7.1
3 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 7.89
4 Will Lee Lorraine III 8.28
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 9.15
6 Iced Tea rule69 11.5
7 kea.nn kea.nn SA 13
8 gavinbpk PGB 15.9
9 Gufmiester BigBalls 17.9
10 daan62 hutspot77 19.5
11 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 19.6
12 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 19.8
13 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 20.2
14 MasterRobin MasterRobin 21.8
15 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 24.8
16 TocToc Vuvuzela 34.3
17 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 39.5
18 sailon2 jahmbo SA 40.5
19 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 42.5
20 viper43 viper64043 44.9
21 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 52.3
22 CordRipper RumHam 63.4
23 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 66.2
24 arr4ws Arr4ws 69.4
25 bushsailor rushour 71.4
26 Mike G MikeVentura 92.2
27 12345 Siafu 94.6
28 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 100
29 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 116.2
30 F15 AUS AUS3572 140.6
31 Raz'r SVKahoots 147
32 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 214.7
33 SteveJH Stephen_1987 289.7
34 Flaming Flaming 462.7
35 Headntac Ryoochi 573
36 x2sea m2for-SA 603
37 PB2207 Chi-2207 659
38 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1245
39 MobyBick MobyBick 1426
40 mad Sticky 2489.3
41 Laser1 Hotfoot 2496.3
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 2507.3
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 2521.5
44 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 2527.8
45 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2539.1
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 2542
47 Vin Divided Sky 2572.8
48 gary Hschutz 2771
49 CapnK KR deCap 3097
50 klymen klymen 3421
51 Mid SA_Mid 3543

• Like 6

Too funny, jibed early at the island to see if I could cut the corner off the "follow the line" guys.

Started that strategy in 31st

And now?

31st

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I am also stunned to see that @klymen's cunning secret plan has been found out.  @CapnK's intelligence network is obviously on high alert......

I have friends in high places at Wikileaks.

:lol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, CapnK said:

I think that 24hrs is the limit, at least for us cheap slow freeloaders that didn't fork over any greenbux for those special dispensations which result in boat speed. ;)

Full Pack boats and free boats are capped at 24 hours on the projection line.  VIP accounts get something like 4 or 5 days.  Add it to the list of features offered with VIP that aren't worth paying for.  (I've never paid for VIP).  The only benefit of VIP that I can see as notably value-add is that it bumps your max number of programmations (or waypoints) to 15.  Even if you're running on credits without a full pack, meaning that in that case, it gets you from 2 to 15.  I can't see the value in paying for VIP while also paying for a full pack...  It's rare that the FP's 9 programmations wouldn't be enough.  But I can see a rationale that VIP might be worth paying for while running on credits.  Particularly if they have multiple races going at once and you're doing multiple, since VIP would be applied across races.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Definitely picking up places being closer to the ice limit and reaching at a slightly tighter angle.....about a. Know more boat speed than others.....

There's more breeze out back.

• Like 1
On 12/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, Your Mom said:

One of the sponsors (Ulysses Nardin) has put up a $8,900 watch for whoever finishes first at the end, among boats who pass within 5 nm of Point Nemo.

Mom knowing what you do about compressions to come. Are going to grab the watch as you pass... I know you don’t talk strategy. It’s there for the taking and would take the boring out of this game as you snatch it then catch up.

3 hours ago, Pesky's Pole said:

Anyone notice that the foils on the boats are starting to read lower than 100%? Is that a factor of a tighter wind angle?

To be at 100% effectiveness, foils need at least 16 kts wind.  Between 11 and 16 knots, their effectiveness has a linear progression from 0% to 100%.  Below 11 kts, they don't help at all.

Same linear progression between TWA 70 and TWA 80.  No help higher than 70.  Same linear progression also in usually irrelevant scenarios below TWA 160 and above 35 kts windspeed.

29 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Mom knowing what you do about compressions to come. Are going to grab the watch as you pass... I know you don’t talk strategy. It’s there for the taking and would take the boring out of this game as you snatch it then catch up.

I should clarify...  I'm happy to share strategy thoughts from time to time.  My comments about not wanting to be in a team were more about not wanting to collaborate with teammates on collective strategies, not wanting to feel like I've hurt others if they follow me on a flyer that fails, not wanting to get into team racing stuff like having different members of a team split on strategies so that whichever strategy wins, the team will have some in the front, etc.  As far as what I'm trying to do personally, I don't mind discussing.

Regarding that question, I'm undecided and probably won't decide until we're near Tasmania.  Two reasons...  One is that we don't know yet how far off the optimal route we'd have to go.  It's entirely possible that there will be a weather system placed such that we could truck right through Point Nemo without slowing down or deviating.  If so, of course I'll jump in there.  And I'd probably deviate a bit to do it if I don't think the losses are big, particularly if the stretch from there to Cape Horn looks to have more fleet compression than expansion.  The Atlantic will be a whole new race anyway, effectively.  The other reason is...  We're going through massive fleet compression right now.  Once we get past 120E and can turn South, we should start expanding again, at least for a little while.  How I'm doing after we expand might impact how I feel about routing up to Nemo.  I guess a third factor might be seeing who else goes.  Kinda like seeing who goes into the pits in F1 or NASCAR before making your own pit decision.  We'll see.

• Like 2
On 12/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, Your Mom said:

This race can be endlessly infuriating...  I'm working my ass off to catch the leaders and hold off the chasers, short-gybing for 24 hours now, but basic fleet compression has been bringing us together, and will continue to do so for 3-4 more days.  While I've been short-gybing, the boats immediately behind have had a bit more breeze for a day now, and those back around 8,000th have had a hotter angle so they haven't had to short-gybe as much.  If you look ahead a couple days, I'll sail into a light patch near the center of this system, and can't get south of it because of the ice limit.  The chasers will all close right up.  By Wednesday, we'll pretty much have a restart among the top 8,000 or so.  Then again...  I knew that would happen and was predicting it before the equator.  I probably should be lazy right now and focus more on doing well after the restart...  But...  that isn't my nature.

I've tried to run math a couple times in the past for short-gybing and short-tacking, but I finally came to realize the answer varies by the situation.  Usually if you're doing it, it's because there's better windspeed near the limit (or land, in other races), or because a windshift is progressing that makes it preferable to be to that side of the shift.  Or both, which is the case right now.  The optimal time on each gybe depends on the wind gradient as you diverge from the limit, and/or the speed of the windshift.  The other factor is how attentive you're able to be, because one limit incursion blows up a lot of careful work.

Yep, your lead over me has dropped from almost 12 hours, to somewhere between 4&6.

Yet I'm still in 31st place, as I was when I was 12 hours behind.

20 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy

Haha, we were picking up some miles on them or at least hanging on, but now some are always faster... I wonder how could that be. (Could be the lower breeze and my foils not working anymore)

Anyway, it's more fun than being alone.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Haha, we were picking up some miles on them or at least hanging on, but now some are always faster... I wonder how could that be. (Could be the lower breeze and my foils not working anymore)

I think you guys win the prize for skirting with the ice gate.:P

That's an impressive catch-up

image.thumb.png.567b7bef2ac063e2f55f4b8ecabbec9c.png

Those fucking pop up windows are back again.

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:
9 hours ago, Pesky's Pole said:

Anyone notice that the foils on the boats are starting to read lower than 100%? Is that a factor of a tighter wind angle?

To be at 100% effectiveness, foils need at least 16 kts wind.  Between 11 and 16 knots, their effectiveness has a linear progression from 0% to 100%.  Below 11 kts, they don't help at all.

Same linear progression between TWA 70 and TWA 80.  No help higher than 70.  Same linear progression also in usually irrelevant scenarios below TWA 160 and above 35 kts windspeed.

1 hour ago, chuso007 said:

Did you see this?

Good morning, 

The leaders are in a drag race to the NW corner of the WA bulge.  Those nearest the ice limit are further up in the rankings.  To give an idea of the fleet compression Mom is in 39th place in the overall fleet, I am 3.28Nm behind and in 468th place, Screaming Eagle is 19.4Nm behind Mom and is in 7,858th place!

In the middle of the pack, Moby Bick is making a run to the south of the Keguelens while MuitaiWatt has been distracted by something (EDIT someone?) in Indonesia and is determinedly heading in that direction, potentially opening the door for a pass.

Lastly, please welcome yeahbuoy who has snuck into the rankings via PMs and pushed Raz'r down to 32nd.

9-Dec      
00:30UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 13843.33
2 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 2.37
3 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 2.54
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 3.4
5 Will Lee Lorraine III 6.46
6 MasterRobin MasterRobin 6.68
7 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 6.69
8 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 8.02
9 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 9.05