Vendee Globe 2020 - Virtual Race

2 hours ago, TPG said:

As far as monetization pay to win is a great model. They're making money hand over fist for little (game dev) effort.

Wonder how many of the 978.000 have forked out Eur.30 for the full race pack.   VR must be laughing to the bank :-)

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning, This is that last update from me - the happy threesome have had a close finish with great relief all round.  There are still 5 SAists out there.  @vibroman abruptly turned left

Good morning (just, it's almost lunch time here), As pointed out the ranking are starting to make sense.  We are back to regular programming with @Your Mom back on top.  shockwave11 has managed t

Good morning, I see that @chuso007's  8yr old has pulled off some masterful strategy over the last few days, but is now in the middle of a heaving, sweating mass of SAers.  A place which may make

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Laser1 said:

Wonder how many of the 978.000 have forked out Eur.30 for the full race pack.   VR must be laughing to the bank :-)

Find the furthest back full pack boat, remove maybe 10%, multiply by 30.

On the topic of routers, FWIW...  It's definitely true that you can't compete without the options, and that in most races, you also can't compete if you don't use a router at all.  But the game is boring as hell if you approach it with the goal of following the router to the best of your ability.  It's true that a lot of boats appear to do that, but I don't really understand the fun in that.  I sign up for a lot of races, but I skip certain races where I think it's going to pretty much just be a straightforward router-matching contest.  Seems like a waste of time and money to me.  That doesn't mean I don't spend a lot of my time following the router, though...   I use the router for short- and medium term tactics, and to investigate options for long-term strategy.  But then I make independent strategic decisions, and specify custom destinations to force the router to optimize a route where I want to go rather than just to the next designated waypoint.  (I also mostly ignore the router when close to land, which is why I really like races like C600).  This results in me getting noticeable splits from the thicker portion of the lead pack.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it's a disaster.  But it's a lot more fun that way.

With that said...  I applaud anyone trying to do it without a router at all.  I did that for my first year or so of playing the game, before I finally gave in and started using Zezo.  My preference for self-specified destinations is a carryover from that year, but my decision to start using the router was because I finally realized that without a router, you're going to persistently take losses with the course you're choosing in the immediate short term, even if your long-term strategy is excellent.

• Like 3

Seat of the pants is sooo much more fun.  Sometimes it pans out (insert punch the air emoij),  sometimes it doesn't.  I still sleep soundly though and every morning is a 'with trepidation moment' when I fire up the laptop.

I realize that if you are fighting for the top spot with money & reputation invested other rules apply.

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It's true that a lot of boats appear to do that, but I don't really understand the fun in that.

Its to win you big silly goose. Nothing more, nothing less. If they (could) banned zezo and expanded their own routing and charged $100 for it I guarantee people would buy it. Its clear people are spending money on the VIP options too.

They'll slowly find more and more ways to monetize the game as they have thus far, that's the nature of pay to win.

33 minutes ago, TPG said:

They'll slowly find more and more ways to monetize the game as they have thus far, that's the nature of pay to win.

Almost certainly why they removed the free 'barrels' that gave you programations/waypoints over 24 hours (that you could stock up) and capped the non paying folks with only two at a time. Mom said up thread that the added programations is really the major benefit for VIP/full pack as you can get all the other upgrades with credits saved up from past races. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PB2207 said:

Almost certainly why they removed the free 'barrels' that gave you programations/waypoints over 24 hours (that you could stock up) and capped the non paying folks with only two at a time. Mom said up thread that the added programations is really the major benefit for VIP/full pack as you can get all the other upgrades with credits saved up from past races. 

Especially since you also could buy cards with saved credits when needed. If one raced enough with minimal options installed (e.g. i almost always only used C0 and winch) one could accumulate credit quite good.

Good morning,

Lots of discussions above about the pros and cons of routers.  All I know is that if you take a flyer off the obvious route such as MikeVentura, you can loose miles very quickly.

On to more interesting matters - the rankings for the back three seem to be completely farked.......  All I do is copy down what the rankings say.  It looks very wrong.

MurataiWatt has been put back in his/her correct position and closest competitor Moby Bick has got over excited on his southwards strategy and gone well over the limit, then bounced back and heading almost due north - not necessarily a good look.

The good news is that tomorrow is Friday :D

10-Dec      
00:30UTC      
Place SA Name Boat Name Dist to Leader
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 13373.7
2 Will Lee Lorraine III 2.59
3 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 2.89
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 3.38
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3.39
6 kea.nn kea.nn SA 4.58
7 Gufmiester BigBalls 6.56
8 daan62 hutspot77 6.66
9 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 7.35
10 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 7.56
11 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 7.67
12 MasterRobin MasterRobin 8.53
13 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 10.3
14 Iced Tea rule69 10.4
15 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 15.6
16 yeahbuoy Cool J 16.1
17 TocToc Vuvuzela 16.2
18 sailon2 jahmbo SA 16.7
19 viper43 viper64043 17
20 gavinbpk PGB 19.1
21 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 22.6
22 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 23.3
23 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 24.2
24 CordRipper RumHam 25.3
25 bushsailor rushour 26.9
26 arr4ws Arr4ws 29.9
27 12345 Siafu 37.4
28 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 40.3
29 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 50
30 Mike G MikeVentura 51.3
31 F15 AUS AUS3572 56.5
32 Raz'r SVKahoots 59.3
33 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 109.5
34 SteveJH Stephen_1987 172.6
35 Flaming Flaming 290.3
36 Headntac Ryoochi 548
37 x2sea m2for-SA 567
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 654
39 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1481
40 MobyBick MobyBick 1711
41 mad Sticky 2879.3
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 2888.5
43 Laser1 Hotfoot 2894.8
44 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 2902.5
45 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 2923
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 2939.5
47 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2944.7
48 Vin Divided Sky 2954.9
49 gary Hschutz 3240
50 klymen klymen 3281
51 Mid SA_Mid 3579
52 CapnK KR deCap 3598

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Seat of the pants is sooo much more fun.  Sometimes it pans out (insert punch the air emoij),  sometimes it doesn't.  I still sleep soundly though and every morning is a 'with trepidation moment' when I fire up the laptop.

I realize that if you are fighting for the top spot with money & reputation invested other rules apply.

This, I really can’t be bothered to take it too seriously. :P

7 hours ago, Tunnel Rat said:

On to more interesting matters - the rankings for the back three seem to be completely farked.......  All I do is copy down what the rankings say.  It looks very wrong.

I think it must be great circle distance ignoring the fact that we must sail the ice line railroad. There's no way I'm ahead of CapnK and I'm 670nm astern of Gary/Hschutz.

Oh, the fickle winds of fate... ;) I had to veer N due to light wind. Using the "Expert" wind/distance tool to measure B2B, this detour has brought klymen in from 300 miles away to just 235, and Hschutz packed on an extra hundred farther away. Between steering away from the ice line and a loss of boat speed, my ranking has dropped near 35k positions. The only 'bright side' is that I don't have to drive northwards to get up and around the bulge; that'll help regain some of what has been lost - perhaps.
I've done this VVR race before, back when it first started, and know that while I'll not be competitive with the leaders, there's a lot of fun, fickleness, and luck in jostling around just for grins and shit-talking over many many miles in the weeks ahead. Also probably some BS sooner or later due to the devs or servers mucking about... :D It's all good, it's just a game, right?

Unless you want to pass me, that is. :ph34r:
Be warned!

• Like 1

To  push auto angle or not after the turn. I see this restart as a red line shot south to make the circle smaller. Truth  be told it’s a great flyer moment. This addition is more like the real thing with these holes  for the leaders to wait up in for us.

Like Mom I don’t want to get left in the dust.  AGAIN!!! And avoid past mistakes.; stopping for a ice line penalty, or even running this thing up on Cabo de Hornos!

Right turn when and ??? What say You?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

On the topic of routers, FWIW...  It's definitely true that you can't compete without the options, and that in most races, you also can't compete if you don't use a router at all.  But the game is boring as hell if you approach it with the goal of following the router to the best of your ability.  It's true that a lot of boats appear to do that, but I don't really understand the fun in that.  I sign up for a lot of races, but I skip certain races where I think it's going to pretty much just be a straightforward router-matching contest.  Seems like a waste of time and money to me.  That doesn't mean I don't spend a lot of my time following the router, though...   I use the router for short- and medium term tactics, and to investigate options for long-term strategy.  But then I make independent strategic decisions, and specify custom destinations to force the router to optimize a route where I want to go rather than just to the next designated waypoint.  (I also mostly ignore the router when close to land, which is why I really like races like C600).  This results in me getting noticeable splits from the thicker portion of the lead pack.  Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it's a disaster.  But it's a lot more fun that way.

With that said...  I applaud anyone trying to do it without a router at all.  I did that for my first year or so of playing the game, before I finally gave in and started using Zezo.  My preference for self-specified destinations is a carryover from that year, but my decision to start using the router was because I finally realized that without a router, you're going to persistently take losses with the course you're choosing in the immediate short term, even if your long-term strategy is excellent.

I don’t use a router at all because it seems boring.  I’m pleased with the results of my decisions.  

6 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Don't you love this game sometimes? .... Twice in an hour, you think you're safe and it jumps South...

With the new version you have to a least wait till the next round 10 minutes of the hour (:10, :20, :30 ... :00) and the update button (underneath the navigation log)  to appear before you do another dramatic course change. In between the 10 minutes updates are not very accurate on the client. For example if one programmed a tack/gybe at xx:05 it won't show till xx:10 at least in my experience even if you open the client at xx:07.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, klymen said:

I think it must be great circle distance ignoring the fact that we must sail the ice line railroad. There's no way I'm ahead of CapnK and I'm 670nm astern of Gary/Hschutz.

i think the direct distance to cape horn is measured. that's also why you gain places when going south.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, eliboat said:

I don’t use a router at all because it seems boring.  I’m pleased with the results of my decisions.  

I agree.  I'm actually quite happy to be within 300 miles of the front without using one, and with only buying the full pack at the Cape Verdes. 

• Like 1

On another topic. . .I'm wondering how the VR game deals with the difference in distance traveled wrt latitude and speed.

For example, @ 45 DEG S, 5 deg of longitude = 212 nm | @ 50 deg S., 5 deg long. = 193 nm.  Does the game automatically reduce boatspeed by, say, 10% at the 5 deg further North or increase the distance between points?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, x2sea said:

On another topic. . .I'm wondering how the VR game deals with the difference in distance traveled wrt latitude and speed.

For example, @ 45 DEG S, 5 deg of longitude = 212 nm | @ 50 deg S., 5 deg long. = 193 nm.  Does the game automatically reduce boatspeed by, say, 10% at the 5 deg further North or increase the distance between points?

Mom and I had this convo earlier up thread a week or two ago because I had the same question. Since the map is a Mercator projection with the longitudes west to east shown as all the same distance, yes, the boat will travel 'faster' along the map West to East at lower latitudes (assuming same speed), since IRL the distance between longitudes are shorter than at the equator. It will do what a real life boat would do at the speeds it's producing at whatever lat and long you happen to be at. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, daan62 said:

probably a stupid question which has been answered before.... what do you have to do for the point nemo competition?

Sail within 5 NM of Point Nemo.  If you do, you'll become part of a secondary set of rankings.  If you're the first to finish among those boats, you'll win a $8,900 Ulysse Nardin watch.  We're still several days from knowing how big a detour off of the optimal route one would have to sail to do that.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Sail within 5 NM of Point Nemo.  If you do, you'll become part of a secondary set of rankings.  If you're the first to finish among those boats, you'll win a $8,900 Ulysse Nardin watch.  We're still several days from knowing how big a detour off of the optimal route one would have to sail to do that.

for now my routing says: NOT EVEN CLOSE!

so i guess i'm out for that one...

Good morning,

Finally we have escaped from the drag race due east and now have some choice in our course away from the ice limit - although Vibroman seemed to have some difficulty letting go.  A group of three - rule 69, PGB and vuvuzela seem to have dropped a significant amount for no clear reason.

Back in the Corinthians, they all seem to be changing position, maybe there is a lack of blood to the extremities in such writhing interlocking.

In the middle Moby Bick seems to have taken over the Indonesia fascination and is letting MurataiWatt make a run for it due east.

I am working tomorrow but not from my desk, so it is unlikely there will be my daily ramblings until Monday..... what a relief for you all!

10-Dec      
00:30UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 12928.34
2 Will Lee Lorraine III 2.77
3 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 3.14
4 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 3.23
5 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 3.48
6 Gufmiester BigBalls 6.44
7 daan62 hutspot77 6.68
8 kea.nn kea.nn SA 7.64
9 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 7.94
10 MasterRobin MasterRobin 8.63
11 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 10.6
12 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 11.4
13 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 13.2
14 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 17.4
15 yeahbuoy Cool J 17.4
16 sailon2 jahmbo SA 17.4
17 viper43 viper64043 18
18 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 24.3
19 CordRipper RumHam 29.4
20 bushsailor rushour 30
21 arr4ws Arr4ws 31.8
22 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 36.4
23 12345 Siafu 38.3
24 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 40.4
25 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 41.1
26 Mike G MikeVentura 50.4
27 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 52.3
28 F15 AUS AUS3572 56.1
29 Raz'r SVKahoots 58.1
30 TocToc Vuvuzela 59.1
31 gavinbpk PGB 68.1
32 Iced Tea rule69 74.7
33 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 126
34 SteveJH Stephen_1987 175.7
35 Flaming Flaming 284.2
36 Headntac Ryoochi 788
37 x2sea m2for-SA 804
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 842
39 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1580
40 MobyBick MobyBick 1960
41 rhenders The Hooded Fang 2879.9
42 mad Sticky 2890.1
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 2902.7
44 Laser1 Hotfoot 2909.2
45 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 2951.5
46 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 2971.6
47 Vin Divided Sky 2973.9
48 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 2985.2
49 gary Hschutz 3456
50 CapnK KR deCap 3806
51 klymen klymen 3828
52 Mid SA_Mid 3978
  • Like 6

I zoomed in as far as you can go, and noticed this...

Hey @klymen I think you should go check it out, you're too close to pass it up!
No thanks needed for the tip - just lookin' out for my friends!

RedLineBar-VirtualRegatta.jpg

• Like 4

I've been playing this and it doesn't seem to have accounted for the reduced distance sailed by going south!  I mean the lines of longitude are not compressed the further south you go.  Anyone found this too?

1 hour ago, ttc546 said:

Errmmm ...  Has someone gone West-About to claim the watch? 

(My apologies if this has already been discussed.)

It hadn't been raised here yet.  The VR forum has a bunch of recent commentary about that boat in the Pt Nemo thread, but it's all in French.  My vague sense of it is that he's claiming the notification about the contest just says you have to validate Pt Nemo and be the first one back to Le Sables, whereas of course what they really meant is that you also have to sail the proper VG course.  His DTF will go down as he returns toward CoGH, but then it'll start going up again when he heads for France, because he'll be "going the wrong way" relative to the proper VG course.  Eventually, others will arrive a Nemo and supplant him at the top of the Nemo special ranking.  Whether or not he'll have any chance of winning the argument if he gets back to Les Sables before anyone else, I don't know.  I doubt it, unless he wants to get lawyers involved.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

It hadn't been raised here yet.  The VR forum has a bunch of recent commentary about that boat in the Pt Nemo thread, but it's all in French.  My vague sense of it is that he's claiming the notification about the contest just says you have to validate Pt Nemo and be the first one back to Le Sables, whereas of course what they really meant is that you also have to sail the proper VG course.  His DTF will go down as he returns toward CoGH, but then it'll start going up again when he heads for France, because he'll be "going the wrong way" relative to the proper VG course.  Eventually, others will arrive a Nemo and supplant him at the top of the Nemo special ranking.  Whether or not he'll have any chance of winning the argument if he gets back to Les Sables before anyone else, I don't know.  I doubt it, unless he wants to get lawyers involved.

Great effort though. I am routing from our friend Nouassi who faced the cold and ice on the North West Passage to get there first though I am fearful about his trip through the equator. 

Equally fearful for Your Mom who has just lost 5,000 places in just a few hours!

Screenshot_20201211-185345_VR Offshore.jpg

Edited by winchfodder
38 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Equally fearful for Your Mom who has just lost 5,000 places in just a few hours!

Your Mom will make back those spots when they reach the ice cap.  The rankings are a bit skewed.  Northern boats will likely lose speed and not have as fresh of a breeze as the more southern boats.  I picked the middle road.

1 hour ago, winchfodder said:

Great effort though. I am routing from our friend Nouassi who faced the cold and ice on the North West Passage to get there first though I am fearful about his trip through the equator. 

Screenshot_20201211-185345_VR Offshore.jpg

:lol::lol: one of these days i'm going to do a random trip, be nice to take in the sights.

Man I keep having the same stupid bug happen. I'll set both of my programmations and then when I pass one and add it back into the queue, my boat will reset to the heading it was before it hit the program and send me off on the wrong heading. Then I have to manually set it back. Anyone else have this happen?

Edit: It doesn't seem to have recognized me as having jumped the ice limit though (no speed drop) so maybe just a mix up between what my UI is interpreting and the servers as discussed elsewhere? Still doesn't explain why it changes headings like it did. 

Screenshot_20201211-151411.png

22 minutes ago, PB2207 said:

Man I keep having the same stupid bug happen. I'll set both of my programmations and then when I pass one and add it back into the queue, my boat will reset to the heading it was before it hit the program and send me off on the wrong heading. Then I have to manually set it back. Anyone else have this happen?

Edit: It doesn't seem to have recognized me as having jumped the ice limit though (no speed drop) so maybe just a mix up between what my UI is interpreting and the servers as discussed elsewhere? Still doesn't explain why it changes headings like it did. 

Yes, i ended up doing a 180 for a bit yesterday

1 hour ago, Raz'r said:
1 hour ago, PB2207 said:

Yes, i ended up doing a 180 for a bit yesterday

Not just this race, I've had it happen to me a few times before....random 90 and 180s as well

One of the reasons i wont pay money for it, how are the refunds if you have a full pack and race all the time?

Here's my understanding of that situation...

-The game is running on 10-minute cycles.

-You typically see the 10-minute update on the 3's, for the 0's that were 3 minutes before.

-On the server, it's calculating according to your programmed movements.  But on the user interface, it fails to reflect the effects of your programmed movements until the update of the NEXT cycle.  So...  If you have a movement scheduled on the 7, and log in at 9, it'll look like you overshot your schedule.  But then if you wait patiently until the 3 and do the next refresh, you'll see it corrected to show what happened on the server, which should match what you programmed.

-It's worse if you schedule on the 0, 1, or 2.  If you do that, then the immediate following 3 is only updating to the start of the 0 (or end of the 9, however you want to look at it).  So you still don't see it.  Then you wait 10 whole more minutes until the ensuing 3.  Then that update suddenly shows everything correctly.

-So...  it's harmless if you can be patient and ignore it (assuming your programmed moves were correct to begin with).  BUT...  If you execute maneuvers manually...  then your moves can confuse the hell out of things.  They'll go to the server and will happen, but might or might not be reflected, might or might not override the programmed moves from the background, etc.  You can cause yourself numerous rapid-fire gybes or sailchanges, etc.   So...  it could cause you panic, and might cause you distance.

-I've been trying to schedule stuff on 7s, 8s, and 9s, when I have freedom on timing, to minimize the duration of the problem.  That, and actually also exiting the game until after the 3 when I know it'll be right and logging in soon thereafter, so that I never even see it showing as wrong.  And if I go in at a time when that problem exists, I exit again without touching anything.

Edit:  Why is your ice limit green?  ;-)

• Like 5
13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

-On the server, it's calculating according to your programmed movements.  But on the user interface, it fails to reflect the effects of your programmed movements until the update of the NEXT cycle.  So...  If you have a movement scheduled on the 7, and log in at 9, it'll look like you overshot your schedule.  But then if you wait patiently until the 3 and do the next refresh, you'll see it corrected to show what happened on the server, which should match what you programmed.

Also my experience. You have to wait for the ten minute interval to finish to see what actually happens. xx:00, xx:10, xx:20 ... xx:50 are the times. You can make small changes in between but after a tack or gybe it's harder because the client still shows to old heading till the next update.

You can cause yourself numerous rapid-fire gybes or sailchanges, etc.   So...  it could cause you panic, and might cause you distance.

This is what I figured, and thank you again for the great breakdown of the game mechanics. Moral of the story is basically just be patient.

Why is your ice limit green?  ;-)

I had a feeling you'd catch that :). Nice job overlapping every single pixel, at least on mobile. 

And web sucks on old surface pro3 now too. Was bearable 1yr ago, now takes 10min to 'load up' & refreshes not much better.

So anyone else sorta given up on trying to be competitive..  i screwed up and ended up below the line way back @ Kerguelen Is,  tried to recover, then just got a bit bored  following the ice line & only been checking in once a day since -  using the max 2 programs at time to set way in future changes.

Too much work (7 days/wk)/real life stuff to pay much attention at the moment! Haven't even been able to go real sailing since Feb! Bloody AU/Victoria lockdown, then work.

So now decided to try more northerly course (always wanted to visit Cambell Is) , suspect i'll be falling off the pace now.

Side note - thks to TunnelRat for commentary & leader board , and YourMum for insights into the strategy.

I too have given up on trying to be competitive. I got into the ice a week ago that put me back 3000 spots. Crawled back to just under 3k and dipped into the ice straightlining 2 nights ago. Noticed if you put your waypoints too far apart the line bends in random spots, lost another 2000 spots. Thought I'd learned my lesson and made sure i had lots of room between my track and the red line, left the game for 40 mins and woops gragged below the line again. I dont understand how YM does it. His track paints the line green straight as an arrow. This might be my last race. Everytime I get comfortable with the game mechanics they change the formate. 

Waypoints sail the great circle route.  The shortest route on a globe between the points.  Think of the routes you see airplanes fly...  Going from London to New York, you fly over Greenland.  That's the shortest route.  Same with waypoints.  Negligible for short distances and near the equator, but very relevant (and even visible) when sailing east/west in the deep south, particularly if the waypoints are far apart.  The ice limit is defined using straight lines, not great circles.  So if you want to sail parallel to one, you need to sail a fixed compass course rather than using waypoints.

For most angles, it's impossible to get it exactly parallel.  It was possible at the 46S line south of Cape Leeuwin, because it was perfectly horizontal.  If you grab the white dot in the compass and drag it to a course, with TWA unlocked, it will set you to exactly that course.  So it's possible to set it that way to exactly 90.000.  That's what I did there (after a little finagling to get it to 45 59 59.89...)  Elsewhere, like where I am now, you can't do it exactly.  But you can tune it to get it close.  You can set a programmation point to TWA, move it a couple minutes, and unlock it.  Repeat until you get a line that's as close as you can to parallel to the desired line.  Then adjust its timing to when you want it to be.  You have to be careful, though, because it'll still be off by a fraction of a degree.  I wouldn't recommend pushing it as close as I have been.  I've been playing with fire.  You can do it pretty well while being off the line a bit for safety.

• Like 2

Thanks mom I’ll try the auto thing some time. .Why is he down here running the line... more wind, angle and the shortest way east in the deep Southern Ocean. But if the wind goes light and your south and the winds better up north of you, you will get passed..

Never way points on a ice line. They get weird because of the projection down here. Straight lining, leaving no auto angle on is the way. programation is moving me up or down. under an hour out works for me. Never touching the boat if it’s close and running true. 

4 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

But if the wind goes light and your south and the winds better up north of you, you will get passed.

Brilliant stuff.

13 hours ago, Kapt'n Kirk said:

I too have given up on trying to be competitive. I got into the ice a week ago that put me back 3000 spots. Crawled back to just under 3k and dipped into the ice straightlining 2 nights ago. Noticed if you put your waypoints too far apart the line bends in random spots, lost another 2000 spots. Thought I'd learned my lesson and made sure i had lots of room between my track and the red line, left the game for 40 mins and woops gragged below the line again. I dont understand how YM does it. His track paints the line green straight as an arrow. This might be my last race. Everytime I get comfortable with the game mechanics they change the formate. 

I really prefer the virtual Volvo (or whatever they call it now). Couple of weeks, then a break, restart keeps you involved again, take a flyer it only impacts for one leg etc

keeping going with family, work and everything is tough for 80 days....

• Like 1

Boo hoo hoo :lol:   Welcome to the Corinthian SA Cheap Anarchy YC.  Cut throat competition, 8 hour sleeps, walks with a pub in the middle, Sunday roast and according to TR some writhing interlocking.

Throw your car keys in the pot and take your chances.:P

• Like 2

Good morning,

I complained earlier about the gybe fest along the ice limit, now it has been about 90° longitude since I was anything apart from port gybe......  I see that @viper43 has had enough and thrown in a gybe for the hell of it.  I missed the opportunity over the weekend to post a ranking with someone other than @Your Mom on top, sorry about that. 

Anyway the new week finds us at the bottom of the Tasman Sea.  The main obstacle ahead is a big mother of a low that is developing to our SW and is due to go past with some fairly spicy winds.  Hugging the ice limit is not going to be the winning strategy over the next few days, although just how far north to go will keep everyone on their toes.

I see that several competitors have been trying to lull everyone else into a false sense of security by saying that they have stopped taking it seriously and are only looking at the game for 30 seconds every third day.  Don't believe them, they will pounce as soon as you let your guard down.

The closest racing in the pack at the moment seems to be between  @Headntac , @x2sea and @PB2207, currently playing in the front off the developing low.

The Corinthinans seem to have split up for a while to have a breather and trying to rehydrate.  Obviously too much writhing and interlocking for such a group.   

14-Dec      
01:15UTC      
1 Your Mom Your Mom SA 11608.72
2 Will Lee Lorraine III 0.28
3 Blue Mountain YC  shockwave11 1.5
4 daan62 hutspot77 1.82
5 Tunnel Rat Mongrel 1.98
6 Marty6 Cambodunum_VSC 2.55
7 Gybe Turkey Gybe Turkey 2.58
8 Gufmiester BigBalls 2.81
9 MasterRobin MasterRobin 4.76
10 Mud Sailor Mudsailor SA 5.42
11 Wet Hog WetHog-SA 6.27
12 Driftwood Me Rongo Rekohu SA 7.33
13 viper43 viper64043 10
14 CordRipper RumHam 10.3
15 RIGO Screaming_Eagle 10.8
16 Kapt'n Kirk prowler_1-SA 10.9
17 yeahbuoy Cool J 11.6
18 12345 Siafu 13.1
19 sailon2 jahmbo SA 13.7
20 MalahideGreener The GreeneMachine 14.5
21 bushsailor rushour 14.7
22 kea.nn kea.nn SA 21
23 TocToc Vuvuzela 21.5
24 Raz'r SVKahoots 23.1
25 Vibroman Vibroman_SA 24.3
26 Hydrogene Eau Gazeuse 25.6
27 arr4ws Arr4ws 25.8
28 F15 AUS AUS3572 29.1
29 Iced Tea rule69 30.5
30 Mike G MikeVentura 31.2
31 TPG Hooperdrivestheboat 34.7
32 Giddy Up G-Troit_Express_SA 79.4
33 gavinbpk PGB 88.2
34 SteveJH Stephen_1987 119.5
35 Flaming Flaming 199.9
36 gary Hschutz 423
37 x2sea m2for-SA 1239.9
38 PB2207 Chi-2207 1276.1
39 Headntac Ryoochi 1288.6
40 Wattie MuritaiWatt 1910
41 MobyBick MobyBick 2604
42 rhenders The Hooded Fang 3070
43 Hike, Bitches HikeBitches 3154.5
44 Laser1 Hotfoot 3157.5
45 mad Sticky 3201.4
46 chuso007 Lateral Festivis 3245.2
47 Kenny Dumas SA_ Kenny Dumas 3348.9
48 Knut Grotzki SA_KnutG 3360.7
49 Vin Divided Sky 3458.7
50 CapnK KR deCap 4605
51 klymen klymen 4657
52 Mid SA_Mid 4819
  • Like 3
16 hours ago, Laser1 said:

Boo hoo hoo :lol:   Welcome to the Corinthian SA Cheap Anarchy YC.  Cut throat competition, 8 hour sleeps, walks with a pub in the middle, Sunday roast and according to TR some writhing interlocking.

Throw your car keys in the pot and take your chances.:P

So that's how you've been entertaining yourself during Covid lockdowns. :lol:Is your neighbour a swinger? These are the signs to look out for -  Birmingham Live

@Mom can you help me under stand the deep running  150 TWA  in hi winds? Seems every one defaults to it deep in the top end wind speed when running deep.  I under stand polars, CMG, Zezo courses be damed. Seems the big dogs just lock into 150 at times.What’s up with that?

1 minute ago, DRIFTW00D said:

@Mom can you help me under stand the deep running  150 TWA  in hi winds? Seems every one defaults to it deep in the top end wind speed. I under stand polars, CMG, Zezo courses be damed. Seems the big dogs just lock into 150 at times.What’s up with that?

A guess: It's the best VMG at that point. 
Right now, no one wants to go too far north, longer distance, too far away from the next windshift that will take us back south, so 150 it is.

11 hours ago, Headntac said:

So X2sea and  PB2207 are in front..yet just to weather of Ryoochi...in 29.6 knots of breeze....seems we all have the same idea....pedal to the metal

I'm happy that PB2207 and Ryoochi are close although I think I'll soak down a bit to give PB more shit air and reduce the leverage of Ryoochi.   

1 hour ago, x2sea said:

I'm happy that PB2207 and Ryoochi are close although I think I'll soak down a bit to give PB more shit air and reduce the leverage of Ryoochi.   

Following you guys on the soak. Looks like a nice drop down to the ice limit, let the low pass us up north and then gybe back up. I'm still kinda pissed we all got clobbered by that dead air a few days back at the ice limit hump. We had a nice run and we're compressing in on the front pack then bam, giant freaking hole with 2kn winds and then saw tooth the ice limit for a day.

It would be interesting to see the entire pack (or at least a better number of them) to see where the cutoff happened. Flaming looks to be at the back end of the front pack and I think we're close to the front of the next big group. There's only 14k ish places between us and him but like 72 hours of sailing lol. Somewhere in the mid 50k placing theres a huge gap between the two groups. 

2 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

@Mom can you help me under stand the deep running  150 TWA  in hi winds? Seems every one defaults to it deep in the top end wind speed when running deep.  I under stand polars, CMG, Zezo courses be damed. Seems the big dogs just lock into 150 at times.What’s up with that?

image.thumb.png.c74b6fadbff4b675c7536820023900fd.png

image.thumb.png.2d7e1669dafd7e25519b82d26882479c.png