Farr 30 vs Bull 9000

I’m hunting around for a 30fter to sail passage and coastal races short handed on the east coast of Australia.

which one out of the Farr 30 or bull 9000 would be best? Or any other ones you can think of?

im looking at around the 30-40k mark. Happy for a boat that needs work (am a sailmaker and work as a rigger so that side’s pretty easy)

there are not many around for sale at the moment on the east coast so putting it out there for any that are hiding or that are not off if or sale!

I had the same criteria, and looked at the same options. I went with a Lyons Mt Gay 30. Couldn't be happier (although runners make things more complicated than they could be). In that price range a lot would simply depend on what is on the market.

If your choices are those two, it's the Bull. Agree with all@sea that a Mt. Gay would be better. Maybe you could make an offer on the original Cone - it's been high and dry for several years. How about an Owen  Clarke Open 30? https://www.racing-yachts.com/open-30-126.html or this one: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/open-30-3206403/

they're not in your neck of the woods but think of the delivery ;) 

4 hours ago, crashtestdummy said:

What’s the deal with the cone?  Got contact information for the owner?

been neglected and in rough shape now?

It’s been in storage for awhile. Not neglected, just life circumstances. 

4 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

For sale?

Not that I know of. I’m not connected in any way other than friends with the owner through here, but lost contact awhile ago. Murphness is pretty dialed in, PM him. 

edit:  all my info came from public comments on this site when I started good naturely goading the Cone out of retirement now that her Great Lakes counterpart is also back in action. 

On 10/2/2020 at 9:48 PM, Longman said:

I’m hunting around for a 30fter to sail passage and coastal races short handed on the east coast of Australia.

which one out of the Farr 30 or bull 9000 would be best? Or any other ones you can think of?

im looking at around the 30-40k mark. Happy for a boat that needs work (am a sailmaker and work as a rigger so that side’s pretty easy)

there are not many around for sale at the moment on the east coast so putting it out there for any that are hiding or that are not off if or sale!

Standard Bull does not have enough AVS

only Matador does. NZ built one

just spend the extra and buy the mod Mumm 30 in Qld

all the work is done

Thanks heaps for the ideas and information.

I know you won't be as fast in the farr 30 in a shorthand setup as you would be fully crewed, but if it actually means getting out on the water in all good with that.

Thanks for the tip about the AVS for the bull. how do you get that information? is it on an IRC or ORCi cert?

I do like the farr 30 up here in brisbane but it's been fully setup for inshore racing and is way out of my price range. also I'd probably look at reducing the upwind sail area down to compensate for the reduced crew weight, so I'd like one which needs sails. plus I'd like to avoid runners if possible.

I'll check out the Hick 31. 

I would go Bull over any comparable 30, just a standout design. We won the short handed association point score convincingly in Raging bull. A couple of Super 30 national titles against F30's and MtGays etc and were very competitive on IRC including first IRC at hammo in a 30 boat fleet. 

• Like 2

I had some of the most exhilarating sailing the Mumm 30 on the Tour, but it is by no mean a short-handed boat in anything beyond 10-12 TWS.

Little stability, plenty of sail area, very long cockpit, big loads for a 30: things get very complicated, very quickly when they start going wrong.

Not to mention, the horrible IRC rating, one won its class in Cowes-Dinard a while back but mostly downind in the light.