flexisander questions

Will be tearing off the bottom after a decade with 5 coats of barrier coat, along with fairing the hull  sides prior to new paint.

Getting all my instruments of pain purchased now.

Have seen some videos on Youtube where they are using Flexisander boards.

http://www.flexisanderusa.com/sandingboards-2.aspx

Are they worth the money over standard flexible boards?

What is the best size for hull sanding (doing 32 feet).

Does a vacuum attachment catch much of the dust?

Anyone try the motorized version?

33" model weights 4.5 pounds :lol: way to heavy. their theory about the only the ends getting used and they want more contact area is all wrong unless you have  the power to push that much sand paper across the surface while pushing up on the board.  long boards help mark where to sand with shorter boards. I made the boards I use from laying up 2 thin plys  of glass about 3-4 " wide  and bond on two lengthwise stringers of 1" by 1/2" cedar or balsa. the paper almost weights more then the board. diagonal sanding with very course paper is the key, keeps the surface true and makes the paper in the center of the board sand almost as much as the ends

I like their filling boards and used these extensively when fairing my F85SR. For sanding I prefer rigid torture boards. Easy to make with some ply and a length of timber. Or you could use a 3M board. These are very light

Just get one of these to relieve muscle effort. Powered exoskeleton

exoskeleton-enables-lifting-with-less-ef

Or something that counterbalances the weight of the tool.

asb0719BA2.jpg

Back to your question. How many people? If you have lots of friends, and can swap them out regularly, have a 2 person board. Bigger boats can use 4 or 5 person longboards!

I've only used flexible longboards, made of 1/4" plywood.  Well and fart rock.

Here, https://gebe2-et.com/en/composite-finishing/robotic-composite-sanding/this one even shows sanding a boat (scroll down a little). Can't find the company I was looking for, they make a thing like a sophisticated mechanics crawler, you lay back on it in a comfortable reclined position and guide the sanding head as you wheel it around. Made for refinishing the underside of biz jet wings. 

if money was not an issue, I would just get a gelplaner and knock it out in a day.

Hard to justify a $3200 tool for one use on a 35 year old boat.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

why do you want to take the barrier coat off?  sand the anit-foul off with an RO,  put a guide coat on, hit the guide coat with a long board,  fair , sand again and then paint..

you may be onto something.

I was going to tear it all off since the old one had failed over a decade. Allows me to scrub any salt out of the substrate before putting the new barrier coat on.

But the bottom is fairly smooth and for a cruiser, perfection is not a necessity.

80 grit should tear

Need more barrier coats before painting as it is blistering.