Experiences with Quantum membrane skins?

I'm looking into a new main for our 36.7 and have decided to go with Quantum.  Application is both course and distance racing on Lake Ontario, almost every weekend during the season.    I'm now reviewing a quote to upgrade the standard class main configuration  (Fusion M5) .75 Matte "polyester film" to include double-sided VX lite skin "random array non-woven polyester filaments" option.  I see the marketing materials and descriptions, it sounds great in theory, but I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these upgrades, and if in practice they justify the additional $1k in longevity that could otherwise be applied to the genoa we'll need next fall.

Thanks in advance!

Why pay extra to have have film put on both sides of sail which adds weight and cost when you can buy a 3DI that does not need film and much lighter for the same amount of money? I think Quantum stopped doing the film on one side because of problem with the film expanding or contracting at a different rates from the Mylar . Putting it on both sides balances the shrinking/expansion effect but drives the price and weight up.

21 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

Why pay extra to have have film put on both sides of sail which adds weight and cost when you can buy a 3DI that does not need film and much lighter for the same amount of money? I think Quantum stopped doing the film on one side because of problem with the film expanding or contracting at a different rates from the Mylar . Putting it on both sides balances the shrinking/expansion effect but drives the price and weight up.

Because I have a local Quantum loft who works hard at supporting the local racers, and there's no local North loft that's going to have a guy spend time with me on the boat, or be a short car ride from home when I need to have a sail repaired at the last second before a regatta.  Having a local loft relationship has been a big benefit in my experience.

Given that Quantum membrane is the right choice for me, do these skins give $1k worth of additional durability without significant performance implication?  I was given the impression that TP52 Platoon uses skins on their membranes, so performance can't be too horrible. I don't have Platoon's budget though, so I care a lot about whether that skin makes the sail hold up longer in real life.

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

From my experience, the 3Di option is 30% more than a Q M5 with liteskin.  

3di is great, but it comes at a pretty high entry price.  

40 minutes ago, T sailor said:

From my experience, the 3Di option is 30% more than a Q M5 with liteskin.  

3di is great, but it comes at a pretty high entry price.  

Fusion with scrim and 3di  were the same price when we last bought a sail. Looks Quantum has lowered the price of the skin quite a bit recently. I don't think sail prices are fixed across the board for either loft. The price will vary greatly on how many sails you buy, which dealer, and what time of year you buy.

the liteskin is a 3rd party product, dimension polyant I think.

I' ve bought 4 sails with liteskin on them from Evoloution sails, although all were in the last 3 years so can't really speak to the longievty too much, but nothing I'e seen gives me any cause for concern. They are certinaly more durable than just mylar and lighter than regular taffeta.

For no compromises racing, its not the lighest sail you;ll get, but it does seem to hold up to abuse pretty well. 

4 minutes ago, Dead air said:

the liteskin is a 3rd party product, dimension polyant I think.

I' ve bought 4 sails with liteskin on them from Evoloution sails, although all were in the last 3 years so can't really speak to the longievty too much, but nothing I'e seen gives me any cause for concern. They are certinaly more durable than just mylar and lighter than regular taffeta.

For no compromises racing, its not the lighest sail you;ll get, but it does seem to hold up to abuse pretty well. 

Thank you, that's what I was looking for!

On 10/6/2020 at 6:17 AM, woodpecker said:

Not much difference in performance in the TP52s, the traditional film membranes more than hold their own.

TP52's are buying new sails yearly, if not sooner, and are pretty weight sensitive.=. Not a great comparison for the average club racer. From what I have seen of the Liteskin materials, they are incredibly UV resistant and have high abrasion resistance. I think a go-to addition to any panel or laminate sail in use at the club or serious club level. My gut is you'll get an extra season out of a genoa with the addition.

Can you quantify the performance penalty? I understand the weight penalty, but frankly I think that is overblown for most sailors...we're generally talking about handicap racing and the occasional one design...there are other ways to save a few lbs on a performance racer/cruiser!

Weight - around 20% more if the inside film is the same weight. There are also two weights of liteskin. 

It isn't very good with abrasion despite the marketing. But you can get liteskin PSA for repairs. 

Does seem to support the film and extend the life of the sail, as the film is normally the first point of failure.

IMO the filmless taffeta membranes are the same weight, softer and more durable.