Carpenter should have stuck to the construction of boats. His work is unsurpassed but his design skills left something to be desired.

"Close but no cigar" has been my reaction to every design of his I've seen.

1 hour ago, Liquid said:

What ever it is, the Fore Deck Union does not approve!

As a former and sometimes part time foredeck. I’ll take that anytime.  The most important thing  when the chute is up is to have former bowmen in the back of the boat. They will know what you need.

2 hours ago, Liquid said:

What ever it is, the Fore Deck Union does not approve!

2 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Not a good place to do bow

A foredeck finished to turn into an ice skating rink when wet .

A fugly raised forward hatch to trip over.

A nicely sloped deck if you are on the weather side, a slippery PITA if you are to leeward.

A Pulpit that does not allow you to get to the pole end or the pointy end.

Perfect spacing between stanchions to lose a sail.

They don't need a bowman, they need a masochist.

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

A nicely sloped deck if you are on the weather side, a slippery PITA if you are to leeward.

The forestay tang is aft of the pulpit. so no need to get to pointy end.

In the photo below, you can see how far aft the keel is, which explains why the forestay attachment is so far aft of the bow stem.

As for stanchion spacing, I think that is mainly an illusion. The boat is only 30 feet LOA and with the extreme transom slope and extra high stanchions,  it accentuates the look of the spacing.

72b37d6a63bbfb05a6cbfc57b65107d7.jpg

10 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

The forestay tang is aft of the pulpit. so no need to get to pointy end.

In the photo below, you can see how far aft the keel is, which explains why the forestay attachment is so far aft of the bow stem.

As for stanchion spacing, I think that is mainly an illusion. The boat is only 30 feet LOA and with the extreme transom slope and extra high stanchions,  it accentuates the look of the spacing.

72b37d6a63bbfb05a6cbfc57b65107d7.jpg

So a thirty footer.......with a Sail plan of a twenty six footer.

4 hours ago, FixinGit said:

SV PullmePushpit

What the fuck is a pushpit??

FYI:

* The rails are the bow and stern are shaped like a balcony railing from which a priest might address a crowd and are called pulpits 

* The railing on a boat bow is NOT for pulling the boat and is not called a pullpit. 

Boats also do not have Gunnels!!!

*What the fuck is a push pit??  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

So a thirty footer.......with a Sail plan of a twenty six footer.

Maybe...maybe not.

If you are suggesting that because of where the forestay is attached - the aft location of the keel dictates the sail plan pulled aft for balance.

The famed One Tonner Terrorist had a similar if not further aft location due in part to the outboard rudder and location of the bilge boards.

Terrorist_Aug 14_2.jpg

6 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

FYI:

* The rails are the bow and stern are shaped like a balcony railing from which a priest might address a crowd and are called pulpits 

* The railing on a boat bow is NOT for pulling the boat and is not called a pullpit. 

@Gouvernail 

“FYI” hahahaha

For fucksake! A fucking Pushpit is a term given to the fucking rails at the stern(which is the back by the way...) of a fucking boat. 
The extra ‘L’ i added to Pulpit was accidental double key press on the mobile device. It seems to have triggered your fucking OCD english correction/document editors hypersensitive fault finding alarm.. You may want to get a fucking recalibration dude. 
who the fuck mentioned ‘Gunnels’ ? 
chill out man. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, FixinGit said:

“FYI” hahahaha

For fucksake! A fucking Pushpit is a term given to the fucking rails at the stern(which is the back by the way...) of a fucking boat. 
The extra ‘L’ i added to Pulpit was accidental double key press on the mobile device. It seems to have triggered your fucking OCD english correction/document editors hypersensitive fault finding alarm.. You may want to get a fucking recalibration dude. 
chill out man. 

There is no such thing as a pushpit!!!!

You may want to suppress your landlubber urge to post nonsense in a nautical forum 

There are bow pulpits and stern pulpits and even bully  pulpits but only damned fools think there are push pits 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

You may want to suppress your landlubber urge to post nonsense in a nautical forum 

@Gouvernail
Its not a term i particularly use myself but indeed it is an actual thing apparently. But whatever you do: dont let this “Landlubber” educate you, google it.
You may want to suppress your patronising need to correct spelling mistakes in a nautical forum. 

Just now, FixinGit said:

Its not a term i particularly use myself but indeed it is an actual thing apparently. But whatever you do: dont let this “Landlubber” educate you, google it.
You may want to suppress your patronising need to correct spelling mistakes in a nautical forum. 

I didn’t correct anybody’s spelling errors...

I pointed out the term pulpit has no second “l” because it has nothing to do with pull

and

Stern pulpit has no “ush” in it  because it has nothing to do with push 

Similarly gunwale is pronounced “gunnel” but not spelled that way..

Foresail is pronounced foursill   but only idiots write fors’l.

I am simply trying to help landlubbers understand nautical terms, and  doing so in a properly “sweet and caring”  SA manner. 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

I pointed out the term pulpit has no second “l” because it has nothing to do with pull

and

I am simply trying to help landlubbers understand nautical terms, and  doing so in a properly “sweet and caring”  SA manner. 

Sorry Gov,

Dictionary

pushpit

noun

1. a raised safety rail in the stern of a yacht.

11a05c03e532e403d1d4cedcfe92b3ed0068c08f

Choose languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKinyarwandaKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaOdiaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTatarTeluguThaiTurkishTurkmenUkrainianUrduUyghurUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

There are bow pulpits and stern pulpits and even bully  pulpits but only damned fools think there are push pits 

Take it up with john Illingworth.....

12 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Very true.If I were younger I would have said no way.

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

and

But pulpit sounds like pullpit and thus someone thought it would be humorous to call the rail in the other end pushpit.

Or at least that is how I read the etymology part: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pushpit

5 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The joy of the English language is that its if flexible and changes with usage.

The OED records a use of the term pushpit in 1964 (and notes that it was in effect a pun)

Merriam Webster it appears does not acknowledge the term.

But if the term is in regular use then its part of the English language :). WS never bothered with a dictionary, he just made up words that he liked. The OED adds new words every year.

Stern Pulpit is definitely proper usage, personally I'm would not argue that 'Pushpit' a word that has been used since before I was born, and is in common usage, and in the OED is wrong.  (of course you are older than I am and are entitled to ignore words that were created after you.....and with that I will get off your lawn)

5 hours ago, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail

You are simple. That i have deciphered from your poor attempt at “FYI”ing me here.

In keeping with SA manner: 

Feel free to go fuck yourself with a rusty thesaurus. :D

He’s usually too busy restoring boats to be the autocorrect feature on this thread. 

I never heard or used the term pushpit for a stern rail stanchion at the transom myself...or a rutter for a steering device either underhung or outboard. 

East coast/West coast thing. No bull rails here either!

Edited by Sail4beer

Here I am, sitting and typing one more time further extending my attempt to help wannabe sailors avoid making fools of themselves.

Dictionary

pushpit   (  pusch-pyt  )

1. a word used by ignorant fuckwits in an attempt to describe a stern pulpit, or transom railing.

2. (crass) a naked broad sitting on the back of a sailboat

5E6B83BE-6B2E-4B7F-B8CC-1A38FAD86F9B.jpeg

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Here I am, sitting and typing one more time further extending my attempt to help wannabe sailors avoid making fools of themselves.

Dictionary

1. a word used by ignorant fuckwits in an attempt to describe a stern pulpit, or transom railing.

Reminds me of a wonderful Greek girlfriend I had.

But Pushpit is a thing Gov.

Puts you between the devil and the deep blue sea.:D

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

A girl with a nice personality.

8 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

What you mean to say is, um yeah  your daughters ugly.

I am guessing the person who had Spad built wanted it to look like a sailing version of an old Hacker Craft or some such old wooden runabout.

Sterling-2-300x204.jpg

Sterling-5-300x203.jpg

• Like 1

“I am guessing the person who had Spad built wanted it to look like a sailing version of an old Hacker Craft or some such old woodenrunabout.”

I think you’re right 12 Metre like many boats worldwide the overall concept is there, but let down by the poorly executed little touches that become the difference.

Time is money and as is so often the case, this build has the appearance they ran out of both.

7 hours ago, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail 

“FYI” hahahaha

For fucksake! A fucking Pushpit is a term given to the fucking rails at the stern(which is the back by the way...) of a fucking boat by illiterates.

It's like "salons" and "cutter/ketches"

FTFY

7 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

You forgot the "Fuck You".

46 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Dictionary

Awww, its ok to be wrong. The secret of being a man is to admit it and learn from it when needed. 
Posting classy nautical nudes in an attempt to regain some form of self respect is a poor way to avoid the fact that youve fucked up.

The ONLY person here making a fool of themselves is you @Gouvernail.  
Eat a bag of dicks:C3FB9654-F241-433F-9766-6888D6A347F7.jpeg.2c328fb502ff68e049a5d5626397a69e.jpeg

16 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

The Spad is Bad thread from back  in 016.

vic carpenter spad Bing images

FWIW, in the Spad is Bad thread, someone wondered if the name was short for Spadina.  Which is understandable since I think the poster was from Ontario.

My guess (again) is that it was named after the French manufacturer of WWI biplanes.  Below is a SPAD S.XII

Obviously no similarity like there is with the Hacker Craft

SPAD.jpg

• Like 1

Off topic, but on the notion of power/sail boats, I stumbled across a CL ad for something called a Lofland Picnic which the ad says can accommodate a 40 hp OB.

Kind of a smaller 60's day sailing version of a mac 26X, except not too bad looking for what it is IMO.  At least from some angles.https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/vancouver-lofland-picnic-17-sail-power/7205877211.html .  But certainly better looking overall than a Mac.

Lofland.jpg

Time is money and as is so often the case, this build has the appearance they ran out of both.

I guess it's subjective but I find it enjoyable to look at. Creative, different and intriguing. The guy is an artist in my view. Reminds me of a time before computer modelling made every boat the same and for the most part, boring.

14 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Wrong!

Edit:  Some people are annoyed by the word “pushpit”, most likely because they didn’t think it up themselves.

16 minutes ago, BobJ said:

FWIW, Bob Perry says it's a stern pulpit.  I don't know who FixinGit is, but most of us know who Bob Perry is.

Think it depends upon where in the world you grew up sailing.

Believe stern pulpit and Pushpit can be used interchangeably .

Gov is wrong to steadfastly refuse or acknowledge the term Pushpit.

It has always been referred to as Pushpit in my experience which includes sailing worldwide.

14 hours ago, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail

You are simple. That i have deciphered from your poor attempt at “FYI”ing me here.

Look... If you pull on a bow pulpit or push on a stern pulpit, you will likely cause a thousand Euros of damage or whatever monetary unit you choose. Pushpit is a really stupid term, made up in the last 70 years or so, that is utter nonsense. Pullpit is a made-up homophone for Pulpit.

1 hour ago, Hitchhiker said:

Wrong!

Edit:  Some people are annoyed by the word “pushpit”, most likely because they didn’t think it up themselves.

Wrong!

Edit:  Some people are annoyed by the word “pushpit” because it's a "cute" word dreamed up by someone who didn't know the proper terminology.

• Like 2

It has always been referred to as Pushpit in my experience which includes sailing worldwide.

Pushpit appeared in the 80's IIRC.

The fact that spellcheck flags it in red should tell you something. :P;)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Navig8tor said:

Sorry Gov,

Dictionary

pushpit

noun

1. a raised safety rail in the stern of a yacht.

11a05c03e532e403d1d4cedcfe92b3ed0068c08f

Choose languageAfrikaansAlbanianAmharicArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBanglaBasqueBelarusianBosnianBulgarianBurmeseCatalanCebuanoChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CorsicanCroatianCzechDanishDutchEsperantoEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHausaHawaiianHebrewHindiHmongHungarianIcelandicIgboIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseJavaneseKannadaKazakhKhmerKinyarwandaKoreanKurdishKyrgyzLaoLatinLatvianLithuanianLuxembourgishMacedonianMalagasyMalayMalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiMongolianNepaliNorwegianNyanjaOdiaPashtoPersianPolishPortuguesePunjabiRomanianRussianSamoanScottish GaelicSerbianShonaSindhiSinhalaSlovakSlovenianSomaliSouthern SothoSpanishSundaneseSwahiliSwedishTajikTamilTatarTeluguThaiTurkishTurkmenUkrainianUrduUyghurUzbekVietnameseWelshWestern FrisianXhosaYiddishYorubaZulu

Gov ain’t got no pointyender union card is his paint speckled, epoxy thumb printed Wallyit....he’s a good guy anyway Some body gots to fixem up right all ship shape and all when we brakum!

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Wrong!

Edit:  Some people are annoyed by the word “pushpit” because it's a "cute" word dreamed up by someone who didn't know the proper terminology.

pulpit was also a word that was dreamed up by someone who thought it was cute to liken the structure to the pulpit used by a peacher, its just that the person who thought it was cute did so a lot longer ago.

• Like 2

I don’t care if people want to call the stern rail a fartblossom. It is your right to use the language any way you please.

This discussion reminds me of a conversation I once had with some teenaged boys sho though smoking helped them “get girls.”

I challenged any of them to tell me about a girl who had said, “I don’t want to make out with you because you don’t smell like an ashtray.”

similarly

****¥
I have made my best effort to offer readers the opportunity to understand, “If you use the term pushpit  to describe a stern rail,  this writer, regardless of my previous impression of you,  will think you are slightly less than before I was disappointed by your use of pushpit.”

Also, absolutely no one will think more highly of you. 

1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

I don’t care if people want to call the stern rail a fartblossom. It is your right to use the language any way you please.

This discussion reminds me of a conversation I once had with some teenaged boys sho though smoking helped them “get girls.”

I challenged any of them to tell me about a girl who had said, “I don’t want to make out with you because you don’t smell like an ashtray.”

similarly

****¥
I have made my best effort to offer readers the opportunity to understand, “If you use the term pushpit  to describe a stern rail,  this writer, regardless of my previous impression of you,  will think you are slightly less than before I was disappointed by your use of pushpit.”

Also, absolutely no one will think more highly of you. 

Hajahahahahahaahahahahaha

How magnanimous of you....Hahahaha You are incapable of accepting your poor manners towards me but worse that you were wrong.

Here ladies and gentlemen is the entire interaction from my first “SV PullmePushpit” post. Please enjoy @Gouvernails attempt at educating in all its stunning glory... Hahaha

On 10/6/2020 at 7:08 AM, FixinGit said:

SV PullmePushpit

On 10/6/2020 at 11:35 AM, Gouvernail said:

FYI:

On 10/6/2020 at 5:55 PM, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail 

“FYI” hahahaha

chill out man. 

On 10/6/2020 at 5:59 PM, Gouvernail said:

On 10/6/2020 at 6:06 PM, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail

On 10/6/2020 at 6:17 PM, Gouvernail said:

and

On 10/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, FixinGit said:

@Gouvernail

17 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

Dictionary

16 hours ago, FixinGit said:

Awww, its ok to be wrong. The secret of being a man is to admit it and learn from it when needed. 
Posting classy nautical nudes in an attempt to regain some form of self respect is a poor way to avoid the fact that youve fucked up.

The ONLY person here making a fool of themselves is you @Gouvernail.  
Eat a bag of dicks:C3FB9654-F241-433F-9766-6888D6A347F7.jpeg.2c328fb502ff68e049a5d5626397a69e.jpeg

11 hours ago, Gouvernail said:
16 hours ago, FixinGit said:

The ONLY person here making a Fool of himself 

If the education was condescension and arseholery, you would be a content expert @Gouvernail

On 10/6/2020 at 4:18 PM, Navig8tor said:

Reminds me of a wonderful Greek girlfriend I had.

But Pushpit is a thing Gov.

Puts you between the devil and the deep blue sea.:D

And off we go - I understand that the devil is/was the name given to the outermost deck plank and there's fuck all distance between that and the water except, perhaps, a bulwark.

The queue for literary arguments starts here please.

On the other hand, tell us more about the Greek girlfriend, sounds much more pleasant.

On 10/7/2020 at 12:03 PM, Black Sox said:

And off we go - I understand that the devil is/was the name given to the outermost deck plank and there's fuck all distance between that and the water except, perhaps, a bulwark.

The queue for literary arguments starts here please.

On the other hand, tell us more about the Greek girlfriend, sounds much more pleasant.

The expression, "the Devil to pay" had to do with caulking that plank and paying it with tar or pitch. It was a difficult, awkward and time consuming job what with all the fittings, bulwark stanchions and what not that had to be worked around, and all in a tight space.

11 hours ago, Remodel said:

The expression, "the Devil to pay" had to do with caulking that plank and paying it with tar or pitch. It was a difficult, awkward and time consuming job what with all the fittings, bulwark stanchions and what not that had to be worked around, and all in a tight space.

In one of the Aubrey/Maturin books, it was expanded to “The devil to pay and no pitch hot” which implied, I suppose, that it was a difficult job made even harder..

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

looks like a big box of pain to me.. yikes.

On 10/6/2020 at 3:36 AM, Navig8tor said:

Jesus it gets more interesting looking at the photos from the original thread:

$_27.JPG

$_27.JPG

This one makes me think they put the keel on the top instead of the bottom.

I’m guessing the new Age of Russia AC75 looking at that sheer line :)