Cal20sailor

Christmas Gift Recommendations

I am guilty of buying shit just to have something under the tree for loved ones and have gotten better, but know I can do more.  

This thread is about recommending products that one is impressed with so that others can benefit.  Last night, I had a dinner date with my GF and I went to start my car and the battery didn't cut it.  I was about to head back in and tell her she's driving but remembered that I had this little thing in the trunk that purported to be able to start my car.  I was going to run in and get the instructions and remembered reading them when I bought it 6mos ago, you can't do it wrong.  Hood up, hook to battery, vroom.  This think is about the size of a big calzone and holds a charge.  Highly recommended.  They come in all shapes and sizes and go on sale regularly (dealsofamerica.com0 and are great.  I have no affiliation with anything, just want to pass on products that I like.  Hope to get suggestions from others.  

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-20800mAh-SuperSafe-Portable-Protection/dp/B06XY35D93/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=gooloo&qid=1602007275&sr=8-6

61V9gnG487L._AC_SL1001_.jpg

The next one is something everyone has, but not like this.  Best can opener I have ever seen.  You can read the description/reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000I7GRUM/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=manual+can+opener&qid=1602007977&sr=8-50

71FE9H38DVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

If you give a randomized gift based off of website ideas you will have issues.

Starting in sept you and your wife need to show each other idea is things you may want/need.  Give plenty of options. In various price ranges.  I have 3 gift ideas for my wife and she has 3 for me already.  Not sure what she will get but she will get most of them.  

• Like 1

Xmas = Toys in my book... 

#1 Drone...  (Any will do and fun during covid).  $100 -  $10,000.  Unless you are doing pro level stuff the $100 one does the exact same thing.  Mine cost a bit more but as a fun toy to fly around the neighborhood during covid it is cool.  

#2 Enough said.....

DragonFlite 95 950mm / DF95 Class RC Sailboat

https://radiosailing.net/products/dragonflite-95-950mm-df95-class-rc-sailboat

image.thumb.png.17d9eb78c12263c98f81ce55f0ba5363.png

Covid friendly, Kit is fun to put together.  We had like 15 out on Sundays in spring,  Starting up again off season with probably alot more.....  Start a fleet..  Good times...  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, peragrin said:

Starting in sept you and your wife need to show each other idea is things you may want/need.  Give plenty of options. In various price ranges.  I have 3 gift ideas for my wife and she has 3 for me already.  Not sure what she will get but she will get most of them.  

Thanks Doctor Phil, statistics say your wife has stepped out on you, maybe you need to talk.  In the mean time, what have you bought for the cheating whore that worked.  

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I am guilty of buying shit just to have something under the tree for loved ones and have gotten better, but know I can do more.  

This thread is about recommending products that one is impressed with so that others can benefit.  Last night, I had a dinner date with my GF and I went to start my car and the battery didn't cut it.  I was about to head back in and tell her she's driving but remembered that I had this little thing in the trunk that purported to be able to start my car.  I was going to run in and get the instructions and remembered reading them when I bought it 6mos ago, you can't do it wrong.  Hood up, hook to battery, vroom.  This think is about the size of a big calzone and holds a charge.  Highly recommended.  They come in all shapes and sizes and go on sale regularly (dealsofamerica.com0 and are great.  I have no affiliation with anything, just want to pass on products that I like.  Hope to get suggestions from others.  

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-20800mAh-SuperSafe-Portable-Protection/dp/B06XY35D93/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=gooloo&qid=1602007275&sr=8-6

The next one is something everyone has, but not like this.  Best can opener I have ever seen.  You can read the description/reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Smooth-Opener/dp/B000I7GRUM/ref=sr_1_50?dchild=1&keywords=manual+can+opener&qid=1602007977&sr=8-50

I’d fire my chauffeur if he left me hung out like that, I’ve told him to buy a new battery every 3 years regardless! Have not had a dead battery since that practice was in place!

Christmas... I just pull those gift cards off the racks and give them as gifts without having money credited to the card and if they ever say anything I just say “ that is strange “ and leave it at that 

12 hours ago, peragrin said:

Here you go.  I'm sure she will love it.

Official Matt and Kim Merchandise - Matt Blow Up Doll | Matt & Kim

That Gooloo jumpstart is cool but this one does a bit more.

71-yz6rqfjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Halo-57720-Portable-Charger-Starter/dp/B07B2SSK8B

2 USB charging ports

Light source on one end.

110v plug in on the other end, not sure what I would use it for, maybe for charging a laptop?

It comes in a ditty bag with all it's needed accessories. We've  bought several, each car has one and then we have a couple in different places in the house for emergencies.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:40 PM, shaggy said:

Xmas = Toys in my book... 

#1 Drone...  (Any will do and fun during covid).  $100 -  $10,000.  Unless you are doing pro level stuff the $100 one does the exact same thing.  Mine cost a bit more but as a fun toy to fly around the neighborhood during covid it is cool.  

#2 Enough said.....

DragonFlite 95 950mm / DF95 Class RC Sailboat

https://radiosailing.net/products/dragonflite-95-950mm-df95-class-rc-sailboat

image.thumb.png.17d9eb78c12263c98f81ce55f0ba5363.png

Covid friendly, Kit is fun to put together.  We had like 15 out on Sundays in spring,  Starting up again off season with probably alot more.....  Start a fleet..  Good times...  

I wish my wife would get me one,but she says I have to many.

On 10/6/2020 at 2:16 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Put yourself in the giftee’s shoes...will they use or enjoy the gift?  Small kids, there are great books of Great Lakes sailing available by local authors. Great Lakes Printing has fantastic old maps of all the Great Lakes and the State available-super for wall hanging.

I pick up 4 Angel Tree cards and buy the kids everything on their wish list.

• Like 1

I bought my wife a pair of slippers and a dildo. 

that way if she doesn’t like the slippers she can go fuck herself.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chinabald said:

I bought my wife a pair of slippers and a dildo. 

that way if she doesn’t like the slippers she can go fuck herself.  

Thanks, one more treason we're supposed to feel kind and generous,  I hate you are from Michigan.

So...I had a foolproof never fail method for years. It takes about 10 minutes to accomplish.

1. Go to a store she loves.
  2. Buy some article of clothing dress/sweater/pajamas - whatever.
  3. Make sure its an appropriate amount of $$.
  4. Make sure its one size too small.
  5. Have it gift wrapped.
  6. When she opens it she'll say "oh how sweet, but its too small."
  7. You say "oh silly me, I spent hours trying to get it right but I have the gift receipt so we can return it for something you like."

The magic is no matter whether you put 100 hours or 10 minutes into the effort it won't be quite right and its going back. This way, she thinks you're cute for thinking she was a size smaller, you're sweet for spending "so much", you know her favorite store, and you really put a ton of effort into it but you're "just a sweet, silly, wonderful husband/boyfriend" for trying.

10 minutes..............never fails.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Point Break said:

So...I had a foolproof never fail method for years. It takes about 10 minutes to accomplish.

1. Go to a store she loves.
  2. Buy some article of clothing dress/sweater/pajamas - whatever.
  3. Make sure its an appropriate amount of $$.
  4. Make sure its one size too small.
  5. Have it gift wrapped.
  6. When she opens it she'll say "oh how sweet, but its too small."
  7. You say "oh silly me, I spent hours trying to get it right but I have the gift receipt so we can return it for something you like."

The magic is no matter whether you put 100 hours or 10 minutes into the effort it won't be quite right and its going back. This way, she thinks you're cute for thinking she was a size smaller, you're sweet for spending "so much", you know her favorite store, and you really put a ton of effort into it but you're "just a sweet, silly, wonderful husband/boyfriend" for trying.

10 minutes..............never fails.

So when did it stop working and how much trouble did you get into?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Thanks, one more treason we're supposed to feel kind and generous,  I hate you are from Michigan.

It’s an old joke. Geez get a grip. 

1 hour ago, IStream said:

So when did it stop working and how much trouble did you get into?

:lol:Well, I lost the last Mrs PB to cancer in 2017. It worked till her last Christmas. Funny story, I confessed my system to her on our last Christmas together. She smiled and said “do you really think I didn’t know what you were up to?” We had a wonderful laugh together. My new love Mrs PB has not figured it out yet. Only had one Christmas so far......she’ll figure it out. :P

• Like 5

On 10/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Gadgets are nice.  Shopping takes a special effort,  truely considering the recipient and how very much they have impacted your life, your well being and your sanity is important.  Then consider how your already hollow life might be absent this friend and then you can decide $5, $10, or $15 McDonalds gift certificates:lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mid said:

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

will someone buy me a brion toss wand.... please....

Man just go get. You’ll definitely get your money back out of it. My wife is the rigger aboard and I know her work has saved us literally thousands over the years

So since bad jokes are not allowed here. This is my system. 

listen to your wife. Throughout the year she will give you clues. She will mention things she likes or would like to own. Write these down, or make a note on your phone. Whichever works for you.

Consult this list and buy her something from it. Chances are good she won’t remember mentioning it, you will look like a superstar for picking out a gift that proves you know her. Worse case is she remembers mentioning it. In which case you are a superstar for paying attention to her and remembering. 

• Like 1

I literally bought my wife some combat boots. Specifically, surplus Swiss boots. Boots are her jam and we she saw me ordering for myself she asked, "what's that?" in that particular tone of voice she reserves for boots she really likes. Yes, that's a thing.

Coming up on 30 years and I still can't believe my luck.

• Like 1

Excellent thread idea.

I will put my top picks on as soon as I am near a laptop.   

Great idea Cal20

25 minutes ago, IStream said:

I literally bought my wife some combat boots. Specifically, surplus Swiss boots. Boots are her jam and we she saw me ordering for myself she asked, "what's that?" in that particular tone of voice she reserves for boots she really likes. Yes, that's a thing.

Coming up on 30 years and I still can't believe my luck.

Boots, super idea! There’s something about the way a woman carries herself wearing boots.  Good on you for 30 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 130lights said:

Boots, super idea! There’s something about the way a woman carries herself wearing boots.  Good on you for 30 years.

Wifie wore white hiking boots to our wedding...  Going on 25...  

Edit:

Got married on top of flagstaff mountain at the outside amphitheater so it was appropriate..  

• Like 2

GIFT SUGGESTIONS:

- Hourly Employees or those who are paycheck to paycheck:

1. When I was that type of person my Supervisor ALWAY had a problem with employees running out of money around Jan 10th.   We were paid early prior to Dec 25th and then did not see another paycheck until January 15th.  (Bi-weekly Pay + Holidays = hungry employee)

So she always gave $25 Grocery Store Gift cards -  BEST Gift ever.   She put them in a card with exactly what is written above (Bi-Weekly Pay + Holidays = Hungry Employee).   Today usually a Walmart Gift Card of $50 works just as well. 

- Friend who has everything OR Business Contact etc when sending gift to home:

-1. Pickers Basket - This is the BIG basket of Oranges - Oranges tend to last and this gets noticed. 

2. 10lbs of Natural or Organic Jelly Beans --  the Natural Candy Store seems to be carrying this treat....this year.   Previously this was a favorite Amazon gift.   Big box arrives and again for $93 the reactions are well worth it. 

Adult Gift for Coffee Drinkers - 

Coffee !   

Try to aim for a brand that relates to the person or yourself.  High end Organic Coffee is STRONGLY recommended.   So 

I sent a friend who had completed a Documentary and had a lot of notes on a Vietnamese Couple.  There was potential for book, fictional movie etc. So: 

https://nguyencoffeesupply.com

https://nguyencoffeesupply.com

I sent the Several bags of the Organic whole bean with a high end grinder.   However playing it safe with ground coffee and no Grinder cuts the cost.

I live in Charleston SC So......

https://www.charlestoncoffeeroasters.com

For the complete hilarity factor -   

https://www.deathwishcoffee.com

ALWAYS SEND ORGANIC COFFEE - -  First of all it is special.  Next the person receiving may look at the health benefits of Organic Coffee.  Also it is VERY EASY to regift.

11 hours ago, Mid said:

$118,000 a bottle??? Holy crap!  

Best 2020 XMASS Gift Idea

Get one of their old belts & mesure

order another 6" longer

yer welcome

1 hour ago, Kent H said:

Coffee !   

Try to aim for a brand that relates to the person or yourself.  High end Organic Coffee is STRONGLY recommended.   So 

a couple of years ago , my brother sent two 2lb bags of something that was so aromatic,  when i did a grind , my wife who is not a big coffee drinker, came downstairs , grabbed a bag and said  "i'm saving this"....    she doesn't remember where she put it and we haven't found it..  sad..

8+ years ago we got a Gaggia Accademia super-auto espresso machine.  We've now killed it via use.. But she loved that machine. I didn't love the price for a replacement.

Looking for functional replacements, Gaggia now has some lower end units that are functionally almost the same given we almost never use the auto-froth attachment.
The internal difference is the Accademia has a dual boiler, the lower end unit has a single. There are only 2 size options, espresso and Long, where the Accademia had a cafe (in between size)

Knowing what we use, and what wasn't used, means the lower end unit "should" fit the bill.

So, I've ordered a Gaggia Velasca. 

16 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

8+ years ago we got a Gaggia Accademia super-auto espresso machine.  We've now killed it via use.. But she loved that machine. I didn't love the price for a replacement.

Looking for functional replacements, Gaggia now has some lower end units that are functionally almost the same given we almost never use the auto-froth attachment.
The internal difference is the Accademia has a dual boiler, the lower end unit has a single. There are only 2 size options, espresso and Long, where the Accademia had a cafe (in between size)

Knowing what we use, and what wasn't used, means the lower end unit "should" fit the bill.

So, I've ordered a Gaggia Velasca. 

holy crap,  I have a $19 solid stainless steel french press... it's great...

Wifey getting new foulies (so my jacket will be available when I need it) and a small duffel to put them in.  A coffee table book from Amazon about African animals, great art apparently.

Merino wool socks, always good, couple bottles of red bingo from a local winery (local here is within 30 miles) , the best domino game ever "Mexican train" ,