21 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

i want one of these .... 

smokeless-fire-pit.jpg

I got the big one from the family for fathers day. It's really nice. Lights really easy and burns hot so minimal smoke... but also goes through wood pretty well too. 

12 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

I got the big one from the family for fathers day. It's really nice. Lights really easy and burns hot so minimal smoke... but also goes through wood pretty well too. 

do you think that the fire basket will sustain through all that heat in the long term?  the say life time warranty so that's a good sign.

39 minutes ago, chester said:

do you think that the fire basket will sustain through all that heat in the long term?  the say life time warranty so that's a good sign.

I hope so given the cost, but we have only used ours a handful of times so far and it is a bit discolored, but otherwise fine. We also keep a cover on it. There is a facebook owners group and I've seen some pictures of some heavily used ones that are pretty dented up and look really rough, but are still intact. That gives me some hope. Ours sustained a couple very minor dents in shipping and they offered to replace it or give me some of the accessories. The dents are barely noticeable, so I went with the accessories. Customer service was great. 

On 10/19/2020 at 5:42 PM, bmiller said:

Google search dangerous wood splitting machine. Some are genius, some are nuts. Like the one in this video that starts at 1:45.

The old Fairbanks-Morse limb remover/log splitter reminds me of the sex machine Geo Clooney was building in Burn After Reading.

My tree trimming activities generated a school bus-sized pile of oak branches. I was thinking of just burning them but yesterday bought a wood chipper. It's only 10 hp and if it doesn't work well/fast enough I'll sell it and buy one of the kind that runs off the tractor PTO. I'm going to need to rent the lift for at least two more weekends to get to everything I have in mind trimming so will have a couple more large piles soon.

NiftyLiftOakTrim.jpg

Affordable PTO chippers tend to have small diameter capacities and gravity feeds neither of which is good . Another possibility is renting a hopefully well maintained free standing unit with the bigger hp and the safer power feed. Used chippers are nearly as expensive as new or they have major issues.

2 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

My tree trimming activities generated a school bus-sized pile of oak branches. I was thinking of just burning them but yesterday bought a wood chipper. It's only 10 hp and if it doesn't work well/fast enough I'll sell it and buy one of the kind that runs off the tractor PTO. I'm going to need to rent the lift for at least two more weekends to get to everything I have in mind trimming so will have a couple more large piles soon.

NiftyLiftOakTrim.jpg

I've had a 10HP Yard Machine homeowner type chipper/ shredder for 15 years. The shredder function is pretty useless  but the chipper works surprisingly well if you keep the blades sharp. Unfortunately getting the blades out is a major chore. You'll find the chipper likes green branches much better than dry ones.  Dry hemlock branches will vibrate so badly in the infeed you'll think your hands are getting shocked!

21 hours ago, cyclone said:

Affordable PTO chippers tend to have small diameter capacities and gravity feeds neither of which is good . Another possibility is renting a hopefully well maintained free standing unit with the bigger hp and the safer power feed. Used chippers are nearly as expensive as new or they have major issues.

The place where I rented the lift has a 6" and a 12" chipper for rent. The bulk of what I have consists of small diameter branches. The few big ones can be burned in the fireplace or in an outdoor fire or just dropped off the edge of the high ground into the swamp to rot.

The power co line maintenance guys drop wood chips here sometimes. I tip them to encourage this behavior but they're still pretty inconsistent. I only have about two truckloads right now and can make those disappear quickly with lots of trees left to mulch.

20 hours ago, Willin' said:

I've had a 10HP Yard Machine homeowner type chipper/ shredder for 15 years. The shredder function is pretty useless  but the chipper works surprisingly well if you keep the blades sharp. Unfortunately getting the blades out is a major chore. You'll find the chipper likes green branches much better than dry ones.  Dry hemlock branches will vibrate so badly in the infeed you'll think your hands are getting shocked!

The barely-used one I bought is a DR brand. It looks like one they don't offer any more but is in between their current 7 hp and 11.5 hp models. I have one of their walk-behind brush mowers, like a hand held bush hog. It's a very handy machine but it's a real workout to run it. I can only do it for about an hour at a time.

Removing soot from the glass.

My fireplace soots up pretty bad. I try to run a good hot fire but it still does.

Anyway the way I remove it is to take a piece of newspaper, dampen it then dip it in ash. That makes a paste that is really effective at removing the soot.

Any other quick easy ways to clean the fireplace glass?

I asked my chemical engineer father-in-law about this once and he just said "ammonia". Works great, even in dilute form like Windex. I spray it on a paper towel rather than directly on the glass so it won't run down into the gasket. It's been about 10 years and lots of sometimes really nasty soot and I haven't found a situation ammonia couldn't handle. 

On 10/9/2020 at 6:21 PM, bmiller said:

For those of us in cooler climates.

Do you?

Harvest, haul, bunk, split, stack

Call for a load of logs then cut and split

Order cut split 

Have a guy deliver seasoned cut split and stack it for you

I just ordered 3 cords of 16' logs. Gave the guy directions exactly where to drop it. He missed by a bit and put it on the neighbors side far away from my cutting stacking spot. So I get to move them twice, sigh.

If you were a twinge closer, I'd give you all the scraps to burn you could handle.

Every year I get guys that say "save me scraps!"  That lasts a little while, or I don't get my barrels back.  I try to help people out, but they make it really hard when the dumpster is 25' out the back door.

I priced out the equipment to grind scraps, suck it out of the shop through the dust collection, screen it, and compress into the fuel pucks to sell.  I don't generate enough waste to make it work financially, but I sure wish I had a grinder for scraps.  I could get a way smaller dumpster.

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Removing soot from the glass.

My fireplace soots up pretty bad. I try to run a good hot fire but it still does.

Anyway the way I remove it is to take a piece of newspaper, dampen it then dip it in ash. That makes a paste that is really effective at removing the soot.

Any other quick easy ways to clean the fireplace glass?

I do exactly what you do.  I don't think there's a better method.  Not chemicals, no smell, and there's usually a good supply of ashes handy.

3 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

If you were a twinge closer, I'd give you all the scraps to burn you could handle.

Every year I get guys that say "save me scraps!"  That lasts a little while, or I don't get my barrels back.  I try to help people out, but they make it really hard when the dumpster is 25' out the back door.

I priced out the equipment to grind scraps, suck it out of the shop through the dust collection, screen it, and compress into the fuel pucks to sell.  I don't generate enough waste to make it work financially, but I sure wish I had a grinder for scraps.  I could get a way smaller dumpster.

I'd be all over that, if it wasn't for the 20 hour drive.

5 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Looks great - who makes it?

Down here in NZ we use the centre from a fisher and paykel gentle annie or smartdrive washing machine, the stem fits into a std office chair base so it can be on wheels, kept empty after each use so that it draws air upward very little heat escapes directly below , made of stainless and lasts  a lot longer than you'd expect....as yet to replace after 10 years of some pretty hard use,

On 10/30/2020 at 7:12 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

Water Oak.... Evil crap that'll break when the air is still as a mill pond in August.

I doubt those crazy log splitter/arm remover gadgets will be able to split the pile of Red Gum Eucaptyus I have in my back yard. I can't split it. Not with a wedge, axe, etc... Gonna take some big hydraulics to do it. SWMBO has banned the fireplace inside (doesn't like the smell) and we don't go camping anymore, so it's just sitting out there. Maybe a free on craigslist...

Wood Scraps? I shove em through my 10hp troy-built chipper/shredder. I (unlike Willin) find the shredder very useful. I pour a trash can full of twigs and leaves and whatnot into it and I get maybe a 2gal pail sized amount of chips out. Since I've only got 2 yard-waste recycling bins each week, volume reduction is a good thing. The shredder will also eat old cedar fence boards, which I turn into mulch. And pressboard waste.. goes through the shredder. A set of giant old speaker cabinets was shoved through it last weekend. The chipper will not chip  Eucaptyus beyond 2 or so inches. Why did the dang Aussies send these evil trees to California anyway? If it wouldn't cost $20K I'd have em all removed. 

15 hours ago, billy backstay said:

Damn!! That is sweet!  Doubt there are may scrapped Fisher and Paykel SS washer tubs in US scrap yards, though...

Not, but plenty of SS wash tubs from old top-loading washing machines around, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, bplipschitz said:

Not, but plenty of SS wash tubs from old top-loading washing machines around, I'm sure.

No, I'm good with the propane unit.  Would not want a wood burning unit on the wood deck, next to wood shingle siding.

41 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

No, I'm good with the propane unit.  Would not want a wood burning unit on the wood deck, next to wood shingle siding.

This. I bought a nice wood burning pit for the deck because I liked the looks but it's totally unsuitable for use on/near a flammable surface. I converted it to natural gas and it's been great.

2 hours ago, gptyk said:

I doubt those crazy log splitter/arm remover gadgets will be able to split the pile of Red Gum Eucaptyus I have in my back yard. I can't split it. Not with a wedge, axe, etc... Gonna take some big hydraulics to do it. SWMBO has banned the fireplace inside (doesn't like the smell) and we don't go camping anymore, so it's just sitting out there. Maybe a free on craigslist...

Wood Scraps? I shove em through my 10hp troy-built chipper/shredder. I (unlike Willin) find the shredder very useful. I pour a trash can full of twigs and leaves and whatnot into it and I get maybe a 2gal pail sized amount of chips out. Since I've only got 2 yard-waste recycling bins each week, volume reduction is a good thing. The shredder will also eat old cedar fence boards, which I turn into mulch. And pressboard waste.. goes through the shredder. A set of giant old speaker cabinets was shoved through it last weekend. The chipper will not chip  Eucaptyus beyond 2 or so inches. Why did the dang Aussies send these evil trees to California anyway? If it wouldn't cost $20K I'd have em all removed. 

But think of the cute little bears!

1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

The solo stove people make an SS ring with holes in it that goes under the main body of the fire pit. That couple of inches supposedly keeps things cool enough that you can put it on grass and have a fire and it won't kill the grass underneath. Lots of people on the Facebook page use them on wood decks. The firepit itself can get really hot though.  https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire-stand/

As far as the siding goes, yeah, I wouldn't have it right up next to wood siding. They also sell a spark arrestor that I might get. My patio chair cushions have a few holes in them now after our last burn. 

34 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

The solo stove people make an SS ring with holes in it that goes under the main body of the fire pit. That couple of inches supposedly keeps things cool enough that you can put it on grass and have a fire and it won't kill the grass underneath. Lots of people on the Facebook page use them on wood decks. The firepit itself can get really hot though.  https://www.solostove.com/solo-stove-bonfire-stand/

As far as the siding goes, yeah, I wouldn't have it right up next to wood siding. They also sell a spark arrestor that I might get. My patio chair cushions have a few holes in them now after our last burn. 

I'd be more worried about sparks or tiny embers being ejected when a piece of wood crackles or pops.

7 minutes ago, Slick470 said:

That's where this is supposed to help. https://www.solostove.com/bonfire-shield/ of course it just adds to the overall cost, and they aren't cheap to begin with. 

Cool, but it kinda defeats the whole experience of enjoying an open fire pit.  I would think that the heat would discolor the SS eventually, so why bother?

7 hours ago, gptyk said:

I doubt those crazy log splitter/arm remover gadgets will be able to split the pile of Red Gum Eucaptyus I have in my back yard. I can't split it. Not with a wedge, axe, etc... Gonna take some big hydraulics to do it.  

I've learned how to hand-split Blue Gum Eucalyptus, is Red Gum much different?  You have to split it on a tangent to the grain circle, starting at the outside and working your way in.  Do *not* try splitting through the center of the log, as you have found this will not give you a clean split -- it traps the ax/wedge in a mass of fibers. 

5 hours ago, valis said:

I've learned how to hand-split Blue Gum Eucalyptus, is Red Gum much different?  You have to split it on a tangent to the grain circle, starting at the outside and working your way in.  Do *not* try splitting through the center of the log, as you have found this will not give you a clean split -- it traps the ax/wedge in a mass of fibers. 

I learnt this at an early age from grandpa.  I was just able to lift the axe and I still have all my toes

Yea, that's what I tried (from the outside in), this stuff is so hard the axe often just bounces off, dulls the axe pretty quick. Just laughs at a maul. I'm also not 18 years old anymore, and that may have something to do with it.... I may end up chainsawing rounds for firepits, or just put it up for free on craigslist. I've got another 5-6 trees that I can get down myself, + 10-15 I'd need a service for. There's lots of evil imported Australian trees here in the burbs of SoCal. The commercial firewood processors all have giant hydraulic splitters, and even 50 ton splitters sound like they're working hard on some of the yukkies. (I tried a crappy 12 ton, no go... ) The blue splits much easier than the read (based only on what's growing in my yard).

I turned a little bit of it on the lathe, turns nicely, looks good sometimes, dulls tools in seconds, carbide only, HSS was a experience in resharpening. This stuff is hard.  Maybe if I get some good looking bits dried decently I'll make small things (pens, etc) - because it's so hard on the tools. It also twists itself apart while drying, I think when I cut down another tree I'll try turning it very wet and seeing what it looks like as it twists itself out of shape. May be interesting. 

19 hours ago, billy backstay said:

I'd be more worried about sparks or tiny embers being ejected when a piece of wood crackles or pops.

The Solo Stove is designed to greatly reduce this. Which it does. Plus, the barrel shape and mesh guard will block most trajectories. Ours meets the requirements for burning in the Denver city limits with the mesh guard installed.  I haven't had it spit or pop very much even with beetle kill Lodgepole.

This stove burns wood like a motherf*cker. When its up to temp and has enough fuel, it creates an air circulation pattern that very efficiently turns anything you put into it to very fine ash. A vortex of flame will spiral out of the top. Green wood, hard wood, soft wood, dry wood, split, unsplit, doesn't matter. There are no coals left behind. If the fuel burns down too much early, the flames subside and its still relatively cool, it will smoke bad. But just stoke it back up to ignition temp and the white smoke instantly clears up leaving a transparent blackish smoke with few embers. Holes along the entire circumference at the top of the inner wall create a curtain of flames that feed the inner vortex. Its a wild dynamic to watch. Although, it does lack the camp fire vibe as its kind of sterile with the stainless material and flames obscured by the barrel. It's more like a science demonstration.

The combustion chamber gets very hot but due to the double wall, the outside stays relatively cool. I tested this by squirting water at it one day. Up by the lip, instant steam. Down by the base, water beaded and rolled. I use mine set right down on patio pavers. They don't get hot due to the double wall and the vented stainless steel hoop the barrel rests on. What little ash that remains after use stays contained in the stove and generally there is very little mess involved. I have zero ash stains on the pavers. The stove cools down very quickly.

The opening is small (with the guard in place) so I cut my wood down to about 12" long. I actually prefer unsplit wood for this stove once it gets going because it rips through split wood a bit too fast. These are soft woods I am burning.

If only I had a wood crib full of eastern hard wood.  

On 10/30/2020 at 9:32 AM, Willin' said:

The little chipper I bought works OK but going through my giant pile of oak limbs would take a very, very long time at the rate it chews up wood.

On 10/31/2020 at 6:07 AM, Quotidian Tom said:

The power co line maintenance guys drop wood chips here sometimes. I tip them to encourage this behavior but they're still pretty inconsistent. I only have about two truckloads right now and can make those disappear quickly with lots of trees left to mulch.

But yesterday I heard a chipper going out in the driveway and went out to find that the power line guys had a curricane checklist and one of my oaks was on it. They basically cut away the half of the tree that was under their line and were busy chipping it up. I asked them to add their truckload to my pile and they did. No cash on hand so I gave them some yummy bananas instead. At first the guy thought I was asking if they could chip up the giant pile for me and he started to politely refuse. Not sure how he misunderstood but I told him I just wanted them to dump their truck and he was happy to do it.

You can't really see the far end of the pile but it extends to the tree in the background on left, which is the one they were trimming yesterday.

DRChipper.jpg

1 hour ago, Quotidian Tom said:

No cash on hand so I gave them some yummy bananas instead.

So bananas are accepted as legal tender in Florida.

Somehow I'm not surprised.

28 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:
2 hours ago, Quotidian Tom said:

No cash on hand so I gave them some yummy bananas instead.

So bananas are accepted as legal tender in Florida.

Somehow I'm not surprised.

No, I didn't owe them any money, just saved them some time and money by offering a free and nearby place to dump their load. But since I appreciate free mulch, I gave them a gift. Somehow I'm not surprised that you want to twist this and have some kind of problem with it, but they were happy and so was I.

1 hour ago, Quotidian Tom said:

No, I didn't owe them any money, just saved them some time and money by offering a free and nearby place to dump their load. But since I appreciate free mulch, I gave them a gift. Somehow I'm not surprised that you want to twist this and have some kind of problem with it, but they were happy and so was I.

I'm not sure why you turned my words into something negative, the disadvantage of not being able to see a persons face or hear their voice.  My intention was to make a humorous observation.   Florida is just so ripe with such situations.  Ripe, get it?  Haha.  Did you tell them thank you very mulch?  Oh my, I'm on a roll today!

4 hours ago, Ed Lada said:

I'm not sure why you turned my words into something negative, the disadvantage of not being able to see a persons face or hear their voice.  My intention was to make a humorous observation.   Florida is just so ripe with such situations.  Ripe, get it?  Haha.  Did you tell them thank you very mulch?  Oh my, I'm on a roll today!

yer on fire Ed!

• Like 1

Oh to be young again , axe in each hand! never tried a Ladies Monster mall in each hand...let’s see the 15 lb big Monster Mall ones in each hand .)

If you have White Pine Tree Pine Cones around they are the best 1 match fire starter. We put them in trash cans and empty large bird seed bags for storage for winter use. The-pitch and the open nature of the pine cone works great, 5-6 in the starter pile is all we use.   Any pine cone works ,white pitch covered, open ones are best. Try it you will like it!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.8ccc905f40335d6605100378b4928d0b.jpeg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

If you have White Pine Tree Pine Cones around they are the best 1 match fire starter.

We collect them for Christmas wreaths, never thought of putting a match to them but it’s worth a try. Our usual fire starter is corrugated cardboard. A rolled up section of collapsed box lights easy and burns hot. 

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys know about log splitters?.......in the past I borrowed a friends 25 ton gas log splitter but it got sold...do I need a 25 ton gas ?...I can buy a 5 ton electric for what it would cost to rent a gas 25 ton for a weekend...I live in Oregon and need to split maple and fir up to 15 in across...Thanks for your help....

On 11/15/2020 at 2:30 PM, DRIFTW00D said:

Oh to be young again , axe in each hand! never tried a Ladies Monster mall in each hand...let’s see the 15 lb big Monster Mall ones in each hand .)

If you have White Pine Tree Pine Cones around they are the best 1 match fire starter. We put them in trash cans and empty large bird seed bags for storage for winter use. The-pitch and the open nature of the pine cone works great, 5-6 in the starter pile is all we use.   Any pine cone works ,white pitch covered, open ones are best. Try it you will like it!!!

image.thumb.jpeg.8ccc905f40335d6605100378b4928d0b.jpeg

I use fatwood. (https://www.plowhearth.com/en/fireplace-%26amp%3b-hearth/fireplace-accessories/fire-starters-%26-fatwood/c/5640?&aff=5115&&gclid=cjwkcaia2o39brbjeiwapb2ikmzekcbchmkrb2w4qh9rbpqno1x1quhbulwgdxpbnt2lthh0l4n3uhoc9seqavd_bwe)

It is basically pine sticks.  A couple of sheets of paper to get them going and they can burn hot enough long enough to get even cold damp wood going. I also use them to keep the fire going as it starts to die down or to finish burning a log without starting more( an issue my old fireplace is when do I leave it to burn unattended.  

2 hours ago, ovb said:

What do you guys know about log splitters?.......in the past I borrowed a friends 25 ton gas log splitter but it got sold...do I need a 25 ton gas ?...I can buy a 5 ton electric for what it would cost to rent a gas 25 ton for a weekend...I live in Oregon and need to split maple and fir up to 15 in across...Thanks for your help....

I use a "22 ton" splitter with a 5 hp gas motor (probably hype-power). Never run it a full speed. Splits anything. I don't think it is the size of the log. It is the large knots and twists that stall it. Or green wood. The coastal oak and pine here is gnarly and rather springy even when seasoned. The Bay Laurel (like your Oregon Myrtle?) is a joy to split.  I've learned to toss the twisted knotty pieces aside...and further learned to make the chainsaw cuts smarter and leave the crap pieces in the forest. Straight seasoned fir should be a piece of cake.

I wouldn't want a smaller splitter.  A 5 ton electric sounds pathetic...but what do I know :-)