Madmax

Ericson 35? Ed is mooching for pickle dishes

On 10/12/2020 at 6:51 PM, Editor said:

that is about right. but if my sc 33 experience did anything, it confirmed that phrf sd doesn't know their asshole from the hole in their heard. they rated us at 99 - there isn't a chance in hell that pig would sail to that - and there wasn't a chance in hell they would correct it.

i applied for a cert for the 35, but no response. i am waiting to see how they are going to concoct a way to fuck me again.

Ericson 35-1 is 195 in phrf new england.  Which is a pretty good rating for that boat I'd think.

Every phrf rating group seems to have their heads up their asses- it's systemic rate-ism.

59 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Ericson 35-1 is 195 in phrf new england.  Which is a pretty good rating for that boat I'd think.

Every phrf rating group seems to have their heads up their asses- it's systemic rate-ism.

I think 195 may be harsh for a 35-1, but a gift for a 35-2 as the boats are entirely different.  The 35-1 is basically an Alberg 35 while the 35-2 is a fin keel design by Bruce King.  Below are the two different Ericsons:

alberg_35_drawing.jpg

ericson_35-2_drawing.jpg

Interesting story on Sailboatdata about how the Alberg 35 became the Ericson 35-1

"There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.
Another version is quoted below:
"Pearson Yachts decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbia's of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (Here referred to as the ERICSON 35-2)."

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

I think 195 may be harsh for a 35-1, but a gift for a 35-2 as the boats are entirely different.  The 35-1 is basically an Alberg 35 while the 35-2 is a fin keel design by Bruce King.  Below are the two different Ericsons:

alberg_35_drawing.jpg

ericson_35-2_drawing.jpg

Interesting story on Sailboatdata about how the Alberg 35 became the Ericson 35-1

"There are a number of stories about the origins of the ERICSON 35-1. One has it that the molds for this, the first of all the Ericsons, were purchased from Pearson Yachts.
Another version is quoted below:
"Pearson Yachts decided to discontinue the manufacture of ALBERG 35's at its Sausalito, CA plant. They sent the molds to the San Francisco dump where they weren't broken up, supposedly because the crew stopped to eat lunch. Someone saw them, claimed them, and trucked them down to Orange where they set up a manufacturing facility. Bruce King redesigned the keel, taking out 500 pounds of ballast. He also redesigned the cabin trunk with windows with a shape similar to that of the Columbia's of the period.
Pearson sued Ericson over the hull. They lost. Columbia sued Ericson over the window shape. They won. As a result, later windows had the same general shape but were split in two."
The only thing that can be said for certain is that lines of the ERICSON 35-1 do appear similar to those of the ALBERG 35.
Another, completely different ERICSON 35 was introduced in 1969, designed by King. (Here referred to as the ERICSON 35-2)."

Aha.. i mistook the 35-2 for the 35-1.  That's why I thought 195 seemed like a gift for the 35-2

30 minutes ago, bgytr said:

Aha.. i mistook the 35-2 for the 35-1.  That's why I thought 195 seemed like a gift for the 35-2

that's what it should rate! haha.

54 minutes ago, Editor said:

that's what it should rate! haha.

phrf-ne has the 35-2 at 150.  probably about right?

4 hours ago, bgytr said:

phrf-ne has the 35-2 at 150.  probably about right?

yes, between 156-150 stock boat.

1 hour ago, Editor said:

yes, between 156-150 stock boat.

Wait, what the fuck? My Lapworth 36 rates 150. A 1950's wooden boat with old fashioned full keel, long overhangs, single spreader low aspect main, wide shroud base, the whole nine yards. On what planet do we rate even?

no idea, but it's not like 35's are speed demons. likely faster than the 36, how much is something i know nothing about. we rate worse than 150. i'll tell ya the story sometime.

4 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Round in the middle high on the ends.

It's a beautiful world.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Editor said:

no idea, but it's not like 35's are speed demons. likely faster than the 36, how much is something i know nothing about. we rate worse than 150. i'll tell ya the story sometime.

I am still living the the consequences of being the only competitively sailed L-36 in NorCal PHRF and posting a picket fence in  the 1994 PHRF Championships. In SoCal we rate 174 (24 seconds higher!). That is not really apples to apples since it is windier up here, but still. 

That's PHRF for ya.

Sailboat manufactures around the world are closely following this thread whilst drawing up their plans for new models of cruiser friendly race boats...with under a 10' beam. 

4 minutes ago, C. Spackler said:

Sailboat manufactures around the world are closely following this thread whilst drawing up their plans for new models of cruiser friendly race boats...with under a 10' beam. 

As long as it has a stripper pole...

38 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

As long as it has a stripper pole...

10' beam and a stripper pole? I hear your request

I bet you are out of this in 12 months.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:52 PM, Madmax said:

I bet you are out of this in 12 months.

You are a petty, angry person. You never grew up. You are emotionally unqualified to fly jets. 

3 hours ago, sunseeker said:

You are a petty, angry person. You never grew up. You are emotionally unqualified to fly jets be on the internet. 

Max is an asshole.

• Like 1

Not exactly,  

- This E35 would sell for top dollar and quick.

- Scot knows how to get the best deal on Sails, services etc

- These boat buys and proposed boat buys get site hits and clicks on ads for the sails, services involved

- Not a Tax accountant but since he can show a long line of boats that he has owned, borrowed and proposed this screams Business expense.  

If not set up under Sailing Anarchy Corp LLC I would look at the potential for doing so.  Lots of evidence that these boats keep attention on the site.   Business Expense for the loss and costs of these boats. 

11 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Max is an asshole.

Succinctly put.

On 10/15/2020 at 8:44 PM, SF Woody Sailor said:

Wait, what the fuck? My Lapworth 36 rates 150. A 1950's wooden boat with old fashioned full keel, long overhangs, single spreader low aspect main, wide shroud base, the whole nine yards. On what planet do we rate even?

I think many people discount old full keeled boats too much - a least well designed ones, i.e. ones with sufficient horsepower.  For example a "classic"  6 mR rates about 123 in BC and that is a bit of a gift.

For a more apples to apples comparison, the Buchan 37 has similar displacement , SA/D, and overhangs as an L-36 and rate 150 in NorCal and 144 in NW.  I can attest that if they have a decent bottom and decent sail inventory are very tough to beat.  Quite firm bilges and flat bottom on the Buchan (see below).  The main difference is that the Buchan has about a 4 ft taller stick and the rudder and keel look to be a bit further forward.

Actually, a Buchan 37 may have been another decent choice for the Ed given the beam limit, but interior not as nice as the Ericson 35

buchan_37_photo.jpg

1972-Buchan_19967_2.jpg

1972-Buchan_19967_1.jpg

9 hours ago, Madmax said:

Ranger 33 is next...mark my words.

The only thing marked is your forehead, with a flashing neon sign that says ATBV...Asshole To Be Avoided.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Madmax said:

Ranger 33 is next...mark my words.

I own the R33...never had a problem with the Ericsson 35 2

6 hours ago, sunseeker said:

The only thing marked is your forehead, with a flashing neon sign that says ATBV...Asshole To Be Avoided put on ignore.

FTFY

On 10/15/2020 at 9:59 AM, Editor said:

why yes he did, just like you!

I used to race a E35, nice boat to race then spend time on once you get to the finish. FYI. retro boat series is amazing! I had a Santana 3030 and I did the transpacific on a cal40. nice to see those in the series.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 2:48 AM, sunseeker said:

The only thing marked is your forehead, with a flashing neon sign that says ATBV...Asshole To Be Avoided.

Can't we all just get along? RK

Eds next boat is a Macgregor 25..water ballasted.

1 hour ago, Madmax said:

Can't we all just get along? RK

Eds next boat is a Macgregor 25..water ballasted.

Or silicone ballasted 

Massive-boobs-mature-moms-posing-900x900

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VWAP said:

Or silicone ballasted 

thank you for your drift.

2 hours ago, bigrpowr said:

thank you for your drift.

Thanks fer the request, I got  many many more

2 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Team A5's first races ends up in a win......with two other boats.  A three way tie.  Good start!

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_regatta_results.php?regatta_id=21438&show_sub_class=1

Fuck, even a Blind Squirrel can beat scooter in one race 

On 10/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, VWAP said:

Or silicone ballasted

Never EVER trust a woman with boobs bigger than her head. You will regret it on so many levels...

On 10/12/2020 at 7:51 PM, Somebody Else said:

It can't be any worse than PHRF-NW. What a shit show.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:42 AM, Glenn McCarthy said:

Some of you may know, this E35 MkII Scot has, he bought from my father.

When my father had bought it 3-1/2 years ago, the Surveyor, the Broker, and Myself all told him not to buy this thing, it should go straight to the dump and be crushed by a Caterpillar dozer. He bought it anyway.  The first year, it wasn't safe to cross the harbor in it. The second year, we started the Mac race, sailed 2.5 hours to go below to find water almost up to the knee and dropped out. The third year, we made it to Mackinac Island 2nd in section 7th overall, then the engine locked up and we lost 6 weeks of prime summer sailing...

Speaking of PHRF and the Mackinac races, Bayview YC and Chicago YC both recently announced that their Mackinac races will be run under ORC:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1109014349704&ca=95465432-a3d8-4d5a-aeb9-2e67c68bc516