European Travel Guesses?

On 5/28/2021 at 9:23 AM, Tharsheblows said:

Malta claims to have reached “herd immunity” and is now opening.  I’m sure we can debate their definition of herd immunity but this is generally good news.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/malta-first-eu-nation-to-reach-herd-immunity-reopens-tourism/?fbclid=IwAR3scq2NrCiT5TUy3ZV4uEzK3QSxHzsh6gede3ebFM6J5vAZdw5hJI8Oczc

well yes and no

Travellers to Malta must present a vaccination certificate or negative PCR test results at their departure point from Tuesday, according to a legal notice.

Passengers are requested to provide a  valid  vaccination certificate  showing  they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or present a negative Polymerase  Chain  Reaction test  performed  not  longer  than 72 hours before that person’s arrival in Malta.

Should they still be allowed to board, passengers will have to foot the cost of a PCR test in Malta, as well as accommodation expenses to cover quarantine.

The new rules are applicable to everyone, except for children under the age of five.

A month ago, Times of Malta reported almost one third of those arriving in the country were not presenting a negative COVID-19 certificate despite this being mandatory.

Sources at the airport had said more incoming passengers were turning up without the certificate, knowing they would be offered the test for free upon arrival.

From next week, however, carriers will be obliged to inform passengers of the requirements of entry into Malta before they travel, and to deny them passage if they fail to present the necessary documentation.

Mandatory quarantine can be extended for whatever period deemed necessary in the event the person’s test results are positive or detected, according to the legal notice.

Quarantine will also have to be carried out in accommodation approved by the Superintendent of Public Health.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/no-travel-to-malta-without-vaccination-certificate-or-negative-test.875446

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'll be surprised if things open up before mid-2021, and that assumes a Biden win in November and a vaccine in Q1. If Trump wins, my money's on late 2021 because even with a vaccine you still need tes

As case numbers are surging throughout Europe again, countries try to avoid a full lockdown. Instead, local or national travel restrictions pop up all over the continent in a not very coordinated mann

Not even close. Charter boats in the MED? what are you trying to do? infect the Greek islands? There is talk of a Bubble Club between Europe and other countries that have responsibly managed

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Shortforbob said:

well yes and no

Travellers to Malta must present a vaccination certificate or negative PCR test results at their departure point from Tuesday, according to a legal notice.

Passengers are requested to provide a  valid  vaccination certificate  showing  they have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or present a negative Polymerase  Chain  Reaction test  performed  not  longer  than 72 hours before that person’s arrival in Malta.

Should they still be allowed to board, passengers will have to foot the cost of a PCR test in Malta, as well as accommodation expenses to cover quarantine.

The new rules are applicable to everyone, except for children under the age of five.

A month ago, Times of Malta reported almost one third of those arriving in the country were not presenting a negative COVID-19 certificate despite this being mandatory.

Sources at the airport had said more incoming passengers were turning up without the certificate, knowing they would be offered the test for free upon arrival.

From next week, however, carriers will be obliged to inform passengers of the requirements of entry into Malta before they travel, and to deny them passage if they fail to present the necessary documentation.

Mandatory quarantine can be extended for whatever period deemed necessary in the event the person’s test results are positive or detected, according to the legal notice.

Quarantine will also have to be carried out in accommodation approved by the Superintendent of Public Health.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/no-travel-to-malta-without-vaccination-certificate-or-negative-test.875446

As long as COVID cases/deaths seem to be on the down slope in that particular area, I suspect loose compliance will be the trend until the requirements are just dropped all together one day without announcement.  

I recently read an article discussing the huge economic disparity now between Caribbean islands that have implanted “responsible” COVID precautions (who are devoid of tourism) and those that have implemented more permissive regulations ( who are packed).  

Oops ....

rule change , no more June 7 opening 

Spain is keeping  its borders closed for international vaccinated travelers 

next update at the end of the month

It's still a bit dodgy.

My friend on Kos says her son arrived from the Netherlands last week. Then the NL changed it's status for Kos, Rhodos and Mykanos back to orange and he got stuck. Oh well, he got the J&J vax while he was there.

Apparently it was an error, but Kos is empty.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday the EU announced a full reopening for Americans (and some other nationalities too).
It seems like each EU member country makes its own rules - so you need to check with each country.

For some reason they still require a negative PCR test, which is annoying, and the US still requires one for returning travelers.  

Anyway, we've continued traveling freely the last 2-3 months. Planning to head to Portugal again this Fall.

12 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

Yesterday the EU announced a full reopening for Americans (and some other nationalities too).
It seems like each EU member country makes its own rules - so you need to check with each country.

For some reason they still require a negative PCR test, which is annoying, and the US still requires one for returning travelers.  

Anyway, we've continued traveling freely the last 2-3 months. Planning to head to Portugal again this Fall.

Who runs the business while you are travelling?

I just passed thru Palma de Mallorca airport

they are doing an excellent job 

chaperones are present to guide arriving passengers and prevent passenger log jams 

the required digital travel health pass works well, you can rapidly move thru the arrivals process 

23 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

Who runs the business while you are travelling?

A team of people much more capable, not to mention smarter than me  :D

Got a great leadership team who handle ops, and a large team who execute the monthly strategies. I work on strategy and trying to keep us growing as fast as possible.  Nice balance - and I can work from anywhere, hence all the travel the last two years.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, NeedAClew said:

If I was unwilling to hassle the testing timeliness for Hawaii, Europe is no more appealing. 

The Netherlands just announced it's opening to US travelers starting tomorrow (June 24)

No test, no vaccination, no quarantine required.

Might add to your list to visit?  Lots of direct flights from the US, great country.

2 hours ago, WestCoast said:

The Netherlands just announced it's opening to US travelers starting tomorrow (June 24)

No test, no vaccination, no quarantine required.

Might add to your list to visit?  Lots of direct flights from the US, great country.

How about a reputable link 

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry

and be aware that the NL changes it's requirements and updates it's "safe" places frequently and not always accurately.

As I mentioned, they banned even dutch nationals from Kos a month or so.

A lightning if short lockout can really mess with flight bookings.

1 hour ago, Shortforbob said:

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry

and be aware that the NL changes it's requirements and updates it's "safe" places frequently and not always accurately.

Netherlands to Remove Entry Ban for Tourists From US & 5 Other Third Countries From June 24

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/netherlands-to-remove-entry-ban-for-tourists-from-us-5-other-third-countries-from-june-24/

On 6/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, Shortforbob said:

Good grief, how uninformed can you be? 

Does your local mainstream corporate news not tell you anything positive about the world?

Netherlands is fully open already to US tourists.  More EU countries following suit.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/us-to-europe-travel-summer-2021

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/netherlands-to-remove-entry-ban-for-tourists-from-us-5-other-third-countries-from-june-24/

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/the-netherlands-reopens-to-us-travelers-with-no-restrictions.html

3 hours ago, BlatantEcho said:

Good grief, how uninformed can you be? 

Does your local mainstream corporate news not tell you anything positive about the world?

Netherlands is fully open already to US tourists.  More EU countries following suit.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/us-to-europe-travel-summer-2021

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/destinations/the-netherlands-reopens-to-us-travelers-with-no-restrictions.html

None of that matters because @Shortforbob 's search didn't find it.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Canada not opening the border until August 21.  We're only at 52% fully vaccinated, and the government thinks that isn't enough.  Vaccinations will be much better in another month. 

After all we have been through, another month won't matter.  We are hearing daily that health care professionals are burned out - if we have another wave, particularly in Quebec, it will not go well.

We get one more summer in Desolation Sound without the extra traffic, though I am hearing rumours of US pleasure craft taking some very indirect routes to Alaska.   Here's one in Prideaux Haven.

image.thumb.png.c9abf8a1dbc38e8850f2e5c9fcbcbf81.png

The airlines keep sending us cheery ads with all the desperate for dollars places we "can" go. Fuck, those might be hellholes soon so no way. I am rethinking Chicago ffs. 

On the brighter side most of those places are vaccinating like it's a race.

Go to Greece.

Fly straight to the islands

The Greek gov prioritised island populations for vax ages ago, they have mostly vaccinated.

You'll get sun, culture and great food and it's very affordable. Choose your island wisely and you'll even avoid the package tourists from highly infected europe.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:59 AM, Melibob said:

Go to Greece.

Fly straight to the islands

The Greek gov prioritised island populations for vax ages ago, they have mostly vaccinated.

You'll get sun, culture and great food and it's very affordable. Choose your island wisely and you'll even avoid the package tourists from highly infected europe.

yeah, go to Greece, where next days the mother of all heatwaves is expected and as there has been little or no rain for a good while, fires are a certainty, so keep that souvlaki ready for the big bbq ..

12 minutes ago, Albatros said:

yeah, go to Greece, where next days the mother of all heatwaves is expected and as there has been little or no rain for a good while, fires are a certainty, so keep that souvlaki ready for the big bbq ..

You must be English. Looks like a normal Australian summer :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Melibob said:

You must be English. Looks like a normal Australian summer :rolleyes: 24-37 one the islands. Perfect.

ATHENS -- More hot and sunny weather is forecast in Greece on Thursday, the second day of a heatwave forecast to grip the country. Winds will blow from northerly directions, up to 6 Beaufort at sea. Temperatures forecast to range from 22C to 38C in the north, between 21C and 40C along the western mainland and the Ionian islands, from 20C up to a maximum of 40C parts of the eastern mainland and between 24C to 37C on the islands of the Aegean. Sunny in Attica, with temperatures between 26C and 39C. Same in Thessaloniki, with temperatures from 24C to 37C.

6 hours ago, dogwatch said:

Don't believe he is.

indeed, although I do have british ancestry both on father's and mother's side I must confess being one of these lowlife (in)continentals, even worse, a citizen of that puny country that was in fact a creation of the great british empire's idea to have a buffer between them and some other countries after they kicked Napoleon's arse .... and we subsequently kicked the dutch out for an excess of cheese  and calvinistic puritanism, and then my native city became the scourge of all brexiteers, that 'orrible place called Brussels

the interesting part is that ancestry, it all goes back to the 18xx's where on one side a boy "stole an apple from the landlord" and had to flee to the continent to avoid conviction, and on the other hand there was this damsel from a fine family that "fell from grace" and also was sent across the channel to spare her family the disgrace and a fall from society... so your regular riffraff, or one might also consider it as the result of that typical british class society loaded with hypocrisy and mannerisms that still reign these days.

6 hours ago, Albatros said:

indeed, although I do have british ancestry both on father's and mother's side I must confess being one of these lowlife (in)continentals, even worse, a citizen of that puny country that was in fact a creation of the great british empire's idea to have a buffer between them and some other countries after they kicked Napoleon's arse .... and we subsequently kicked the dutch out for an excess of cheese  and calvinistic puritanism, and then my native city became the scourge of all brexiteers, that 'orrible place called Brussels

the interesting part is that ancestry, it all goes back to the 18xx's where on one side a boy "stole an apple from the landlord" and had to flee to the continent to avoid conviction, and on the other hand there was this damsel from a fine family that "fell from grace" and also was sent across the channel to spare her family the disgrace and a fall from society... so your regular riffraff, or one might also consider it as the result of that typical british class society loaded with hypocrisy and mannerisms that still reign these days.

Nuff said. Belgians think a week over 28 is a heatwave. 

(and i have spent a lot of time in Waasmunster  in "summer" :D )

9 hours ago, Melibob said:

Nuff said. Belgians think a week over 28 is a heatwave. 

(and i have spent a lot of time in Waasmunster  in "summer" :D )

the norm is 25, not 28

the outskirts of Athens are again on fire, just as I said .. couple of years ago when driving from Patras to Lavrio with the mighty beemer the sight of the hills above Athens on fire was fabulous, the smoke and smell not so much ... for each day that you have spent in Greece lately my count will probably be 10, but any sensible person knows that you better avoid Greece in july and august, too hot and too much fucking tourists like you :P

8 hours ago, Albatros said:

the norm is 25, not 28

the outskirts of Athens are again on fire, just as I said .. couple of years ago when driving from Patras to Lavrio with the mighty beemer the sight of the hills above Athens on fire was fabulous, the smoke and smell not so much ... for each day that you have spent in Greece lately my count will probably be 10, but any sensible person knows that you better avoid Greece in july and august, too hot and too much fucking tourists like you :P

Well seeing as we've been locked in Australia for the last 18 months, you are probably correct..lately. Though I've probably spent a cumulative couple of years in "Greek Summer" but not on Mykonos or Santorini. 

Bloody northern Europeans avoid southern Europe in august because "it's too hot" July? watch the German and Belgian colour coded POW campers on Kos   :P

( My bestie is a tour guide there and I'm supposed to have been living on Astypalaia for the last year so not exactly a tourist, more like a wanabe resident. Poli Kako :( 

On 10/26/2020 at 2:14 PM, WestCoast said:

It's nice that a lot of people in America have the ability to close up shop, shelter in place and ride out a storm for a year without income.

Extensive travel through the 2nd and 3rd world, has taught me that most people don't have that luxury.

Social distancing doesn’t require  a closed shop 

common sense is just as effective as lockdown 

developing countries can’t lockdown 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, Albatros said:

The Mediterranean region  always burns in summer 

20 hours ago, slug zitski said:

Social distancing doesn’t require  a closed shop 

common sense is just as effective as lockdown 

developing countries can’t lockdown 

Yes it does to be effective. How many people do you work with that forget to keep that 2mtr distance?

And how many people do you know who's "common sense" is rather flexible? 

Developing countries have a bit of a problem. They need wealthy countries to help with vaccine gifts in a rather larger proportion than they are giving now. and help with distribution if requested. and a fare bit more.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:15 AM, Melibob said:

Bloody northern Europeans avoid southern Europe in august because "it's too hot" July? watch the German and Belgian colour coded POW campers on Kos   :P

Greece is having its' heaviest heatwave on record since 30 years, several fires, same for Turkey, same for Sicily ... so there you go Mel with all your bravado, jump on an airplane and enjoy (tomorrow) the 44 degrees in Athens that you find so balmy, I challenge you B)

when I started to do my yearly move to Greece some decade ago I met a Belgian coded tri, tried to talk to them, they were Italian, year by year there were more of them, turns out to be a bit of a tax and inspection evasion thing, in EU you can flag your vessel under another country, and in Italy there are some hefty taxes and inspections needed so some clever guy told the others to flag it here .... that door has been closed recently according to the guys who administer the registrations (they told me last year when renewing mine).

By the way, Belgistan is not considered northern europistan ... you silly old cunt, keep on trying

4 hours ago, Albatros said:

Greece is having its' heaviest heatwave on record since 30 years, several fires, same for Turkey, same for Sicily ... so there you go Mel with all your bravado, jump on an airplane and enjoy (tomorrow) the 44 degrees in Athens that you find so balmy, I challenge you B)

when I started to do my yearly move to Greece some decade ago I met a Belgian coded tri, tried to talk to them, they were Italian, year by year there were more of them, turns out to be a bit of a tax and inspection evasion thing, in EU you can flag your vessel under another country, and in Italy there are some hefty taxes and inspections needed so some clever guy told the others to flag it here .... that door has been closed recently according to the guys who administer the registrations (they told me last year when renewing mine).

By the way, Belgistan is not considered northern europistan ... you silly old cunt, keep on trying

Athens and Melbourne have a remarkably similar climate.

Even in Chilly Melbourne our summers in El Nino often have days on end between 35-42. As for bushfires? 

So these "heatwaves" in Europe, though alarming because of climate change, are nothing new to us.

So 

56 minutes ago, Melibob said:

Athens and Melbourne have a remarkably similar climate.

Even in Chilly Melbourne our summers in El Nino often have days on end between 35-42. As for bushfires? 

So these "heatwaves" in Europe, though alarming because of climate change, are nothing new to us.

So 

so

so

so

really.... you should lay off that bong, ya cunt

Just booked family trip to Spain for Thanksgiving. 
I think lockdowns are over, the world in general has lost its tolerance for staying put. 
Of course vaccinations should be mandatory for anyone getting on a plane. 

9 minutes ago, 2slow said:

Just booked family trip to Spain for Thanksgiving. 
I think lockdowns are over, the world in general has lost its tolerance for staying put. 
Of course vaccinations should be mandatory for anyone getting on a plane. 

Nice one. The Alhambra is simply the most beautiful and harmonious place I've ever seen. :)

40 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

How many travelers will follow all of CDC after travel guidance for red countries, lol. Increasingly out of touch. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-4/coronavirus-spain

You can lead a horse to water….

The only other thing the CDC could say is “don’t travel unless it is absolutely essential, as you may put both yourself and others at risk.”

1 hour ago, NeedAClew said:

You can’t go to Europe by train from here.

Guess he'll go by car then ...

<_<

And if you go there by train? Will they still be asked to provide a test? I took a train from Dresden to Geneva last year. I was not asked for any PCR tests, but there was a problem with the trains, they did not arrive on time and I sat at the station and waited for them for two hours. I went to dbfahrplanauskunft.net and I looked at the train schedule to come and not wait for the train. During this time, I managed to go to the store for shopping, talk with colleagues and solve issues with the payment of leasing for a car. I'm tired of this situation with PCR tests and COVID-19, you never know if they will let you into the country or if there will be some problems again and you will have to spend a lot of time.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Well maybe we can go to Kosovo, Lebanon, N Macedonia, Montenegro, or Israel. 

?? they've been removed from the safe list.

Israel, Kosovo, Lebanon, Montenegro and North Macedonia have also been removed from the list.  

8 minutes ago, ShortForBob said:

?? they've been removed from the safe list.

Israel, Kosovo, Lebanon, Montenegro and North Macedonia have also been removed from the list.  

Yeah so maybe they will let vaxxed Americans in without fuss. Nobody else will. Reading what you have to do buying multiday test kits and loading apps to get into UK was daunting enough...even Hawaii was easier and that was so stressful we said fuck no. Might as well just go to Vegas and die in the desert.