List of the Best Shorthanded Races in North America

Yo, 
Please help me cook up a list of the best shorthanded races in North America. 
I bought a Santa Cruz 27 a year ago. It is my first sailboat. I sailed it in the Gorge 3 days a week all summer, impersonated a racer as I got my ass kicked every Wednesday, and took it down the Columbia River and the coast of Oregon alone. I had the great pleasure of letting her rip while reaching across a 25 knot breeze with a 1.5 oz. kite up. I was able to maintain about 12 knots and hit 16 knots several times. Point being, I'm super psyched. 
I'm hoping to get to the Three Bridge Fiasco, Oregon Offshore, and Swiftsure next year.

So, give props to your favorite shorthanded races. 
Scotty

The Pac Cup in 2022 with both hands is definitely the plan. Probably the singlehanded scoot to Hawaii the next year. 

I’m obviously ahead of myself and dreaming, but I can see trailering to the Great Lakes and the East Coast at some point. They have some cool races also. Bermuda 1/2 sounds fun. 

Anyhow, I just think it would fun to have a complete list of the best short handed races in North America. 

You could try doing Newport to Ensenada shorthanded (as well as around Catalina race).  It is on my mind to do so. Having a whole large division of shorthanded boats heading to Mexico would be a really fun.

Hope to see you do the three bridges. It is one of my favs.

• Like 1

Race to the Straits.  100+ doublehanded boats.  First day is Seattle to Port Townsend.  Second day is race back to Seattle.  Great fun, great vibe, great competition.  

• Like 2

If you are on the Great Lakes, there is some good doublehanded racing as well.

Lake Huron Doublehanded Challenge
Chicago Mackinac race usually has a good doublehand fleet
Bayview Mackinac race has a doublehanded class, but it hasn't had much participation lately.
Transuperior runs in the odd numbered years, with both singlehanded and doublehanded classes
Lake Ontario 300/600

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

RNSA race from Vancouver to Nanaimo and back.    A great race across the Strait of Georgia over two days, about 5-6 hours per day.  Certainly the best singlehanded race on the West Coast of Canada.  Currents play a huge role.

https://www.wvyc.ca/on-the-water/racing/wvyc-rnsa

• Like 1

Seriously - the best single and double handed sailing on the west coast comes out of the San Francisco. Once you get good enough and do a couple of Farallones, do the qualifiers then do the Transpac.  

Three Bridge Fiasco

Corinthian

Drakes Bay Races

Half Moon Bay Race

Round the Rocks

Singlehanded Farallones Race

Vallejo 1-2

-----------------------------------------------------

Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race

• Like 2

I’m obviously ahead of myself and dreaming, but I can see trailering to the Great Lakes and the East Coast at some point. They have some cool races also. Bermuda 1/2 sounds fun. 

This may be some bad news for you, grimoire.

From October Bermuda 1-2 newsletter that will be added to the 2021 NOR:

Trailer able lifting keel boats will not be allowed in the race

• Like 1
5 hours ago, rmgeis said:

This may be some bad news for you, grimoire.

From October Bermuda 1-2 newsletter that will be added to the 2021 NOR:

Trailer able lifting keel boats will not be allowed in the race

Oops.  I’m probably in large part responsible for that change...

But don’t see that impacts the OP since their boat is a Santa Cruz 27 without a lifting keel. That said, an SC 27 doesn’t meet the minimum LOA requirement of 28’.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Roleur said:

Oops.  I’m probably in large part responsible for that change...

But don’t see that impacts the OP since their boat is a Santa Cruz 27 without a lifting keel. That said, an SC 27 doesn’t meet the minimum LOA requirement of 28’.

He could put a 13 inch sugar scoop on the back 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The torpedo tube on the front of my boat puts me at 28' overall. :)

I would think that if one had completed a Pac Cup and SHTP, and some of the other ocean races on this list, you could probably appeal to enter the Bermuda 1-2, as long as you had a truly well prepared boat. That's many years off for me. It sounds like a cool race. 

On 11/28/2020 at 1:14 AM, grimoire said:

The torpedo tube on the front of my boat puts me at 28' overall. :)

I would think that if one had completed a Pac Cup and SHTP, and some of the other ocean races on this list, you could probably appeal to enter the Bermuda 1-2, as long as you had a truly well prepared boat. That's many years off for me. It sounds like a cool race. 

History would suggest that is unlikely.  

I just finished the Corinthian Yacht Club's Fall Series. The J/70 class was double-handed this whole season. After 10 races double-handing it we managed to land in second, so I'm pretty stoked about that. The J/70 is a fantastic boat for short-handing, there's a healthy (and growing) fleet here in the SF Bay, they're not overpowered in heavy air, they're light enough in light wind to sail circles around the big boats (especially while double-handed), they look great, and they're not all that expensive. I couldn't tell you if they're going to keep the DH fleet going after covid, but I hope they do. 

On 11/7/2020 at 6:02 AM, Black Jack said:

Seriously - the best single and double handed sailing on the west coast comes out of the San Francisco. Once you get good enough and do a couple of Farallones, do the qualifiers then do the Transpac.  

Three Bridge Fiasco

Corinthian

Drakes Bay Races

Half Moon Bay Race

Round the Rocks

Singlehanded Farallones Race

Vallejo 1-2

-----------------------------------------------------

Singlehanded TransPacific Yacht Race

Screen_Shot_2020-12-01_at_1_16_16_PM.png

On 11/30/2020 at 9:52 AM, Some.Rando said:

I just finished the Corinthian Yacht Club's Fall Series. The J/70 class was double-handed this whole season. After 10 races double-handing it we managed to land in second, so I'm pretty stoked about that. The J/70 is a fantastic boat for short-handing, there's a healthy (and growing) fleet here in the SF Bay, they're not overpowered in heavy air, they're light enough in light wind to sail circles around the big boats (especially while double-handed), they look great, and they're not all that expensive. I couldn't tell you if they're going to keep the DH fleet going after covid, but I hope they do. 

We have a DH fleet of J/70's going up here too.  Now 5 boats with several more in the pipeline.  Lots of fun.  My hope is that we keep it DH regardless of Covid.  We have lots of light air, so DH is plenty of bodies and hands.  

• Like 1