What is this dinghy?

Hopefully this thread can serve to help others identify all those lovely obscure dinghies out there..... here is the first one. It’s been offered to me for a good price, I’m looking for a versatile tender/sailing dinghy that can be rowed, motored, or sailed. It looks like it might be a good one although there is something apparently going on with the rig, the boom looks wrong and the whole sail looks kinda wrong. 

The sail insignia looks like a ghost, but I don’t think it’s a Ghost dinghy.

Sorry about the orientation I can’t figure out how to rotate the images.

bow view.jpeg

image3.jpeg

4 hours ago, eastbay said:

Hopefully this thread can serve to help others identify all those lovely obscure dinghies out there..... here is the first one. It’s been offered to me for a good price, I’m looking for a versatile tender/sailing dinghy that can be rowed, motored, or sailed. It looks like it might be a good one although there is something apparently going on with the rig, the boom looks wrong and the whole sail looks kinda wrong. 

- Keep your sailing performance expectations quite low.

- That simply isn't a boom. You will need to find a piece of alum tubing about the same diameter as the mast. Maybe a chunk of Laser top section or boom if it isn't too big. I can't see the gooseneck assembly, but that likely needs to be addressed.

-  Rig the sail like this, but you only need a single block on the traveler and a single block/becket on the boom.

See the source image

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

- Keep your sailing performance expectations quite low.

- That simply isn't a boom. You will need to find a piece of alum tubing about the same diameter as the mast. Maybe a chunk of Laser top section or boom if it isn't too big. I can't see the gooseneck assembly, but that likely needs to be addressed.

-  Rig the sail like this, but you only need a single block on the traveler and a single block/becket on the boom.

too bad I am on the other coast otherwise I could donate* a old broken top section .

*I would have to collect the super duper super super secret ILCA fees on the top section though 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Major Tom said:

POS10?

Harsh!

i thought the scow bow way ahead of its time....

how does one tell a pos from a sweetie pie? 

It looked to me like this one is single skin (no liner) which might make it lighter; the length/beam looks better than some pregnant pumpkin seed types; the flat bottom may make it stable.... the vertical sides and transom do make it jon boat like I guess.

is it in fact doomed to fail?

Good evening,

Your boat is a "Peanut" dinghy and originates from one of the Scandinavian countries. Elsewhere in the world it is known as a "Nutshell" dinghy.

I doubt if the rig in your picture belongs to the boat. The boat was designed and supplied with a balanced lugsail rig.

With a bit of Google searching you should find whatever info you need. Expect a sailing performance from "poor" to "extremely poor" but have fun nevertheless.

image.thumb.png.1a1665231c5d4397610e12b4893ed532.png

A plastic knock off of one of these. Which as I understand it were perfectly fine dinghies.

The rig isn't authentic, but that shouldn't matter much. Find a closet pole or equivalent for a boom and go sailing.

SHC

• Like 1

I went and looked at the boat, it was cool but a bit heavy and the comments here about miserable sailing performance kind of put me off.

Interestingly,, the “ghost” type sail insignia was repeated on the aluminum “knees” at the transom; so I guess that does have something to do with the class of dinghy, and that it is the right sail.

The sail was super soft, like an ancient worn out spinnaker.

I also don’t know what the oblong hole with rubber grommet would be used for.

The seller said that his family rented one at a lake, where there were a fleet of them for rent. Fell in love with the boat and hunted for and found one. But he didn’t know the name of the class or much else about it. No nameplate.

Here’s the knee with ghost insignia:

6B93D470-324E-4756-ADE8-7C2EC8158D7E.jpeg

7 hours ago, wannabefd said:

I'll post boat number two in the oddball boat club

An excellent candidate for Int. Bathtub 8

Screenshot_20200919-112653_Facebook.jpg

Except for the orange color, which is offensive to the eyes and also likely to be damn hot in the sun, I like it.

Modern, sleek, easy to keep clean.

FB- Doug

On 10/23/2020 at 5:49 AM, Steam Flyer said:

Except for the orange color, which is offensive to the eyes and also likely to be damn hot in the sun, I like it.

Modern, sleek, easy to keep clean.

FB- Doug

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/232107/The-Juxtaposition

The famous Yamaha 9

• Like 2
4 hours ago, wannabefd said:

That a great find Bill.

I saw the add on Facebook as well and for $100 thought it would be a fun looking tender for my sailboat. Alas it sold in a couple of days.

I stumbled across it visiting the Y&Y website. The article and picture were on the front page. I had seen the photo you posted the day before. Serendipitous.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another mystery dinghy. I purchased it in the PNW, in Kennewick, WA. The previous owner, Marcus, is an awesome dad, who bought the boat to build a sandbox for his kids. Luckily he never got around to it. 

LOA = 15' 11 1/2"     or 4.86 m

beam = 5' 11"         or 1.8 m

I have been looking for similar dinghies on SailboatData.com 

Sweeet 16, X-boat, Corsair, CL-16, Point Jude 15, and Ross 490 all look similar in many dimensions, but the rudder is always different, and none have the unique, molded fiberglass setup near the transom for a trolling motor.

The dinghy is fiberglass, there is no HIN, it came with a wooden mast (looks homemade) that is 23' in length. 

boat ii.jpg

boat_i.jpg

rudder iii.jpg

boat_iii.jpg

33 minutes ago, EEEEE said:

Here is another mystery dinghy. I purchased it in the PNW, in Kennewick, WA. The previous owner, Marcus, is an awesome dad, who bought the boat to build a sandbox for his kids. Luckily he never got around to it. 

LOA = 15' 11 1/2"     or 4.86 m

beam = 5' 11"         or 1.8 m

I have been looking for similar dinghies on SailboatData.com 

Sweeet 16, X-boat, Corsair, CL-16, Point Jude 15, and Ross 490 all look similar in many dimensions, but the rudder is always different, and none have the unique, molded fiberglass setup near the transom for a trolling motor.

The dinghy is fiberglass, there is no HIN, it came with a wooden mast (looks homemade) that is 23' in length. 

boat ii.jpg

boat_i.jpg

rudder iii.jpg

boat_iii.jpg

Dunno for sure, don't recall seeing one that size, but Canadian company Bombardier built a lot of close copies of other dinghies. The ones I do have experience with are good boats, well built and well balanced. The straight cockpit sides and something about the overall look of it make me think this might be the answer.

FB- Doug

Cool. Thanks, Doug. I guess if I try to race her, I will say she is a copy of a Sweet 16. I will keep digging through the specs and try to find out what she is a copy of, get the right-sized mast and boom and call it good. I don't think the local yacht club is too picky about racing rules. They race on the Snake River in Idaho. They say it takes lots of skill to win a race when there is no wind! But of course, that could all change if I win a race.

EEEEEric

• 5 months later...

Things like blunt bows, lugg rigs, sails with more wrinkles than shape and flat plate centreboards and rudders generally mean little chance of sailing upwind especially against any current or tide. So do not expect to be able to sail back to your start point unless you are at a place where the wind switches 180 deg at lunch time, or you are good at rowing.

8 hours ago, wannabefd said:

Someone I know is looking at buying this mystery boat.

16 foot and built in Alberta by Sawyer. Any guesses?

received_5347005132041115.jpeg

looks a bit like a copy of a Wayfarer Dinghy or I believe known as a CL 16 dinghy that side of the pond..

On 10/22/2020 at 3:39 PM, eastbay said:

Anyway, I’ve moved on in my search and would love to find a Trinka 10 or similar. No rush. I’m enjoying the DeWitt more since I’ve gotten more used to maneuvering (folding myself) in the thing.

Trinka and Bauer are nice dinghies - but after sailing my 8" (American Sail, the Dink), I'm thinking even the step up isn't going to be satisfying - that these are first rowing or motoring boats - and secondly sailing boats. I bought my dink for rowing and it rows very well. 

You will rarely find pics of any of these boats sailing in a decent blow - sure, in the harbor at 6mph wind you might have something.

For me the benefit of the 10 or 12 would be that I'd throw an electric motor on it and could take another passenger or two easily 

Many of us are talking about the same things - I'd love to do some planing, but at 67 I don't want a boat that I have to hike on. My tri (Sprint 750) was great for speed and ease..but too big. So many of the modern boats seem tuned for exact (or close) crew weight. Engineering seems to make all this so- with a tri or cat the only possible exceptions. Or, a seascape 18.....now that looks like a fun boat, even for an old dude. 

I might end up with a pile of boats- little ones, which isn't too bad as long as they are lightweight. Then I can rent the getaway or Sloop here when more than 2 are along for the ride. I have to say RS is at least providing good info as to what each of their boats are for. Buying new or almost new may be a thing to get what is really up to date unless one wants well known existing modern. Decent small boats could be "investments" in that you would get back a nice percentage of the cost when you sell. 

Finding an 8 year boat for a 67 year old is interesting.....then again, I play tennis and bike and was up on my roof many times today so I many not be 67 in "boat years". 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:49 AM, eastbay said:

bow view.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Looks like the first "dingy" I ever sailed.  It was a "tender" for an '81 Hunter 33.  First boat I ever raced on and the owner became a major mentor.  Anyway, he said I could use the dingy anytime I wanted.  It actually had a boom.  I made a small jib w/mom's singer and used a "Wind Scoop" for an unpoled chute.  Can't remember the name of it, but it was on the side.