J 80 mast head antenna

On 10/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, solosailor said:

And check better cable options that meet the rules to reduce weight.  The J/80 cable won't be too long.

http://www.farallon.us/webstore/index1.html?c37.html&1

I have used Eric's Ultra Whip antenna and LMR coax on my last few boats, best set up you can buy for weight and VHF signal.  And the coax is custom length, with great TNC cable ends.

7 hours ago, Kincora said:

I have used Eric's Ultra Whip antenna and LMR coax on my last few boats, best set up you can buy for weight and VHF signal.  And the coax is custom length, with great TNC cable ends.

I forgot that he did this kind of product.  I haven't seen it in person, but I've seen a lot of his other work and have been very impressed!  

• 3 weeks later...

May I ask if you are running the stock mast head nav light? Mine is on a 3 year old mast and I (quite rightly) got yelled at by a cruise ship on the VHF (handheld) this summer since it did not work during an overnight sail crossing a commercial shipping lane.... 

Looking for recommendation for alternatives...

Thanks

10 hours ago, Rob said:

May I ask if you are running the stock mast head nav light? Mine is on a 3 year old mast and I (quite rightly) got yelled at by a cruise ship on the VHF (handheld) this summer since it did not work during an overnight sail crossing a commercial shipping lane.... 

Looking for recommendation for alternatives...

Thanks

J/80's have stock masthead lights?

J80s have a circuit breaker panel?

Only wires on my old US built 80 were grounding wires. No lights, no panels, no batteries. 

Edit... it did have bow lights and a stern light with wires running to the keel step, so you could add a battery and have running lights. IIRC, there was a chrome pull switch to turn them on and off. Gosh, that was back in 93, too many beers ago. But I miss the old girl.

• Like 1

It sure does. A triple breaker on the port deck reinforcement triangle underneath the pit. One button each for interior light, masthead light and a third which was used for speedo but now runs the autopilot.

And of course two main circuit breakers for the battery on the port side of the main bulkhead

On 11/12/2020 at 9:49 PM, Varan said:

Only wires on my old US built 80 were grounding wires. No lights, no panels, no batteries. 

Edit... it did have bow lights and a stern light with wires running to the keel step, so you could add a battery and have running lights. IIRC, there was a chrome pull switch to turn them on and off. Gosh, that was back in 93, too many beers ago. But I miss the old girl.

My TPI built boat has bow and stern lights, and that little chrome switch. No masthead unit. 1994 boat.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Sparrow said:

My TPI built boat has bow and stern lights, and that little chrome switch. No masthead unit. 1994 boat.

Probably with a curious rectangular hole in the starboard bulkhead behind the companionway where no on can reach, sized to accept a breaker/fuse panel, but then decided it was a stupid location. Put in a pull switch and called it good.

BTW, did y'all ever see the original J80 brochure? Open transom, no windows, no front hatch,... 

I might still have one.

On 11/12/2020 at 6:49 PM, Varan said:

What hull number was this? sounds familiar 

• 2 months later...