Bene 44.7. Any available ? (Great Lakes/North East Coast)

We owned one that came out of the French factory - for some reason, there were a number at this time that were affected by poor varnish adhesion - Beneteau paid for the whole interior on our boat to be removed and resprayed - check for any peeling or lifting of the varnish (use a bit of sticky tape)

I raced a 44.7 around 15 years ago, mainly offshore. It was a popular boat in Australia/NZ back then and had good results offshore. We found it very tender in any breeze over 14-16 knots. We were reefing the main at 18 knots and going to a number 3 jib. I certainly didn’t perform offshore like the owners previous 40.7, which was a much better boat offshore. It turned out that the successful 44.7’s were heavily modified with bigger masthead kits for light stuff and the heads in the bow was almost fully removed. 

2 hours ago, 42 South said:

We owned one that came out of the French factory - for some reason, there were a number at this time that were affected by poor varnish adhesion - Beneteau paid for the whole interior on our boat to be removed and resprayed - check for any peeling or lifting of the varnish (use a bit of sticky tape)

We’re they all built in France or did Marion build some for the North American market?

2 hours ago, Dino said:

It turned out that the successful 44.7’s were heavily modified with bigger masthead kits for light stuff and the heads in the bow was almost fully removed. 

That’s valuable info.  Good to know ...

thanks 

For the mods, you might want to contact John Mollicone (sailing coach at Brown). He raced on a 44.7 that won it's class and possibly more in the Bermuda Race, and told me they did a number of mods, but I didn't have time to go into it with him.  John is a great sailor and a good guy, very approachable, and if he remembers I'm sure he'd share what they did.

9 hours ago, garyedelman said:

For the mods, you might want to contact John Mollicone (sailing coach at Brown). He raced on a 44.7 that won it's class and possibly more in the Bermuda Race, and told me they did a number of mods, but I didn't have time to go into it with him.  John is a great sailor and a good guy, very approachable, and if he remembers I'm sure he'd share what they did.

2014 or earlier?   
Valkyrie?

39 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

seems so but she's  been for sale for a very long time.

Yes a very long time.    Maybe price is scary.

or has issues ....   I hope to find out at least 

On 10/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, crashtestdummy said:

Four Stars

Sprit, midified bow railing and bunch of other stuff.  Rob macmillan from Q Newport was involved with John

Four Stars was profiled in Sailing World after they won the pro division (Gibbs Hill?) in the 2006 (?) Bermuda Race.  She didn't have a Sprit, though, but ran asyms off an oversized pole. The sprits and smaller genoas came in about 2010 and a different 44.7 did very well that year in the Bermuda Race (St. David's and Class 6 (?), also using big asyms, including a code 0.  

On 10/24/2020 at 9:03 PM, b6sfull said:

47.7 would work also.   

Hiya B6,

Or you could dare to be different and keep the same beam as the 47 whilst realising the benefits of a 40 WL length.

And you get to go storming past even 47.7's at anything lower than 70 TWA.  

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/pogo-12-50/251176

I've been flat out calculating freight and insurance costs for multiple international enquiries, I thought Covid-19 was going to supress the market....   

I know I know, buy an ad....:)

14 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Hiya B6,

Or you could dare to be different and keep the same beam as the 47 whilst realising the benefits of a 40 WL length.

And you get to go storming past even 47.7's at anything lower than 70 TWA.  

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for-sale/used/sail-monohulls/pogo-12-50/251176

I've been flat out calculating freight and insurance costs for multiple international enquiries, I thought Covid-19 was going to supress the market....   

I know I know, buy an ad....:)

Only if I won the lottery.... oh wait, that’s another thread ....

Always had a crush on Pogo... don’t have the budget and that one is in the far side of the world from me ....sadly .