Am I Missing Something? Hospitalization Rates

As noted, you're looking at the wrong charts. This happens a lot on this forum.

Below is the chart you want, specifically the grey line.

Note: Current hospitalization rate is about equal to the rate in Week 12  (March 16 - March 22)

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.52.48 AM.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, WestCoast said:

Note: Current hospitalization rate is about equal to the rate in Week 12  (March 16 - March 22)

Thanks!

See I was right. Extremely lazy of me!

• Like 1

All good boss.  I think when people have good intentions, there is no reason for threads to get nasty or anything.

It's indeed hard filtering through all the insane amounts of data. 
The more we can all help each other see the true picture/true data, then I think we can all make our own informed decisions on how we want to live our lives.

I don't get all the nastiness online about this, honestly.

The nastiness comes, at least in part, when people who have lost family members see you downplay the risks of the virus.  It makes them want you to not die, but to catch covid and get a few years of elevated heart rate and recurring lung issues like something like 20-40% of everyone who has to go to the hospital for this disease.   

• Like 2

WestCoast, please stop your claims for "truth".

Your experiences, your observations are completely subjective. They are your individual experiences you claim to have made on an extended trip through Europe and neighbouring countries. All of these countries are experiencing massive rises in case numbers, hospitalisations and ICU patients. Some are already warning their hospitals will be reaching their capacity limits, faster and steeper than in the spring.

If anything, you were lucky to be ahead of that surge.

But let me ask you one thing: Did you catch the virus earlier this year and decided to go on your trip healed, without symptoms, but with positive antibody tests? Or did you just go?

You guys are digging for something that isn't there......

I posted the current hospitalization chart from the CDC.

OP asked a question, he was misinformed, and I kindly posted a chart, from the official government agency in charge of this, to clarify.
He was kind and gracious about it, thanked me for the help, and the issues is closed.

--
There is nothing nefarious here.... there's no story here, or slant on it.

We always called this customer service. A customer asks a question, we provide the best data we can.
What the customer does with it, is up to them.

I provided official government data, from the government website.

If you think there is something strange about that, I'm not sure what to tell you.

• Like 1
On 10/23/2020 at 3:55 AM, WestCoast said:

Why did you restrict the data to stopping October 10?

Cherry picking.  

SD at hospital max. El paso at hospital max and now a 10pm to 5 am curfew.

75k new infections yesterday (Sunday). Dallas cases rising quickly,  back to over 600 per day.  Btw SDc is at 900 new day, with 1 10th the population of dfw.

Texas shows 3k new yesterday, but that a Sunday.  Been sitting on 6k new weekdays for a week now.

So again,  why put out information that's 2 weeks old. When it changes so quickly.

And it hasn't really got cold yet. 

Is the likely 300k additional deaths projected by end of February fake science to you? 

26 minutes ago, dfw_sailor said:

Why did you restrict the data to stopping October 10?

Cherry picking.  

SD at hospital max. El paso at hospital max and now a 10pm to 5 am curfew.

75k new infections yesterday (Sunday). Dallas cases rising quickly,  back to over 600 per day.  Btw SDc is at 900 new day, with 1 10th the population of dfw.

Texas shows 3k new yesterday, but that a Sunday.  Been sitting on 6k new weekdays for a week now.

So again,  why put out information that's 2 weeks old. When it changes so quickly.

And it hasn't really got cold yet. 

Is the likely 300k additional deaths projected by end of February fake science to you? 

I can't 'cherry pick' the data... it's a chart directly from the CDC site. They update it  weekly.
Here is the link if you want to look for yourself:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Today it goes to October 17th. Hospitalizations declined again.
Chart attached.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.08.46 PM.png

Regional statistics are more important and to be sure, there is cause for serious concern. When patients start to be shipped out of state, it should be obvious that certain regions are approaching their limits.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/us/covid-hospitalizations.amp.html%3f0p19G=0232

Blatant, maybe you should cut your COVID World Denial tour short and go volunteer to help out at one of the harder hit hospitals. It would be good for you to balance your cherry picking of stats w some actual time on the ground.

From the CDC website today, it would appear ~5.8% of all Inpatient beds/ICU in use in the US are related to Covid.
https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-capacity
Local data is certainly more important than overall data, I would agree.
But, if anything is available to 'cherry pick' - it's probably picking out random outliers in the overall data, and subsequently claiming the sky is falling.

(I'm also not sure it's 'cherry picking' to copy and link to the official graphs directly on the CDC website.... )

--

Again, I'm just posting official numbers. I'm not saying these things are good or bad.
People seem to assume that if I post data, it's me saying 'the virus isn't real'!!!
Which is, completely bonkers.

It's real, it's killed a lot of people, and it's a bad thing, absolutely no question.
That reality doesn't make facts unimportant though.

I think those choices are best made using the best data we have.
The more we know, the more we can make informed choices as a country and individuals.

--
This thread started with a person not understanding a discrepancy in the charts.
We corrected that by showing the correct data.  

If someone says 'Hospital beds are full!'  I go to the CDC to see if that's true.

There is nothing strange going on here.
I'm not a nut job for posting data from the CDC website to answer important questions.

I'm just trying to help by be a calm head in a very stressful time for people.
I don't think that's an evil or awful thing.
I think the world needs more collaboration, more facts and less vitriol if we all want to get through trying times together.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.10.58 PM.png
https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-capacity

13 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

Again, I'm just posting official numbers. I'm not saying these things are good or bad.
People seem to assume that if I post data, it's me saying 'the virus isn't real'!!!
Which is, completely bonkers.

Point is george that when you post national numbers for a pandemic that is not being managed or controlled nationally, the data you post is highly misleading and it leads one to believe that you have an interest in posting numbers you can find that show the pandemic as far less dangerous than it is.

There are areas all over the country where hospitals are completely overloaded as we speak and getting worse.  

10 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Point is george that when you post national numbers for a pandemic that is not being managed or controlled nationally, the data you post is highly misleading and it leads one to believe that you have an interest in posting numbers you can find that show the pandemic as far less dangerous than it is.

There are areas all over the country where hospitals are completely overloaded as we speak and getting worse.  

If that's the impression that I give, that's not my intent and I apologize. 

--
I find that good data can help everyone understand what is happening in the macro.
I don't trust the media, so I go to the official sources to look through the data myself.

It might come off as callus or cold to some, I get that, but know that it's the opposite of my goal. 
I see the misery that is being caused all over the world on both sides and I want to understand what is really occurring overall.

• Like 1

Cases in AZ are not have not been being recorded if the data was transmitted to the State via fax. Which is the method all other health stats are transmitted to State by Indian Health Services from most tribes in AZ.

Lots of pressure to make the number look smaller here in AZ

19 minutes ago, WestCoast said:

--
I find that good data can help everyone understand what is happening in the macro.
I don't trust the media, so I go to the official sources to look through the data myself.

It might come off as callus or cold to some, I get that, but know that it's the opposite of my goal. 
I see the misery that is being caused all over the world on both sides and I want to understand what is really occurring overall.

Not at all.  The point is that the data you are posting are not 'good data' for determining what is going on in america right now.  If you are looking to help people understand what is happening, post county or city data.  We are more balkanized as the balkans right now.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, rustylaru said:

Cases in AZ are not have not been being recorded if the data was transmitted to the State via fax. Which is the method all other health stats are transmitted to State by Indian Health Services from most tribes in AZ.

Lots of pressure to make the number look smaller here in AZ

Also TX, FL, GA, SC, AL, MI, MO, IN, and so on and so on and so on.  Takes a lot of work to undercount by 30+%

Anecdote from a friend of my wife, who got it 3 months ago. She's mid 40's, a serious runner who does marathons (writes about running in NY Times). She was in very good health with no underlying other conditions.

She had such heart damage that a cardiologist had to put a pacemaker in. The cardiologist said (at the time in NY area) he had put more pacemakers in that week than many previous months before. She is still suffering the long term effects.

So please, please take it seriously. Limit your social interactions, wear a mask in public and avoid others that do not.

9 hours ago, fufkin said:

Regional statistics are more important and to be sure, there is cause for serious concern. When patients start to be shipped out of state, it should be obvious that certain regions are approaching their limits.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/10/23/us/covid-hospitalizations.amp.html%3f0p19G=0232

Blatant, maybe you should cut your COVID World Denial tour short and go volunteer to help out at one of the harder hit hospitals. It would be good for you to balance your cherry picking of stats w some actual time on the ground.

And let’s encourage him not to wear any PPE at any hospital he might volunteer, the numbers don’t support it's necessity.  Blatant is tough.  PPE is for panicky liberals, right Blatant?  Where do you fall on this graph?

freedom to infect......................................freedom from infection

|                                               |                                                            |

1.........2.........3.........4.........5.........6.........7.........8.........9.........10

8 hours ago, Zonker said:

Anecdote from a friend of my wife, who got it 3 months ago. She's mid 40's, a serious runner who does marathons (writes about running in NY Times). She was in very good health with no underlying other conditions.

She had such heart damage that a cardiologist had to put a pacemaker in. The cardiologist said (at the time in NY area) he had put more pacemakers in that week than many previous months before. She is still suffering the long term effects.

So please, please take it seriously. Limit your social interactions, wear a mask in public and avoid others that do not.

My strategy?  Outside, always wear an effective mask, to the best of your ability, an n95 mask if you can.  6 foot minimum separation with all masked, but more if a bandana is being used.   Say thanks if someone masks up 30 feet away or more when they approach. Don’t go inside anywhere except home.  Run away as far as we physically can, if we meet any any unmasked outside (or in if it comes to that).  More and more of our previously skeptical neighbors have had close friends and family who have died, & are masking up, respecting quarantine, and distancing.

On 10/26/2020 at 12:25 PM, WestCoast said:

--

Learn to spell "callous" and learn to look at the actual picture. 

Rural republican states (e.g. S. Dakota, N. Dakota, etc.) are getting hit by a tsunami  of cases.  Rationally governed states (like Washington, Oregon) are hanging in there at manageable levels.  Your chart blends both but doesn't select for local per capita outbreaks.  

Jeez, give @WestCoast a break. Fastyacht posted two charts, one with national daily hospitalisation per capita for European nations, and one with cumulative rate of hospitalisations for the US. He was asking why they were so different. 
Westcoast replied with a link with the most up to date US national data which is comparable to the European chart posted.

• Like 1
On 10/24/2020 at 7:47 AM, slug zitski said:

Do hospitals still receive 25k from the federal gov for each Covid  Patient ? 

Did you get the nickname slug because of the size of your dick or your IQ?

It has always been a mistake to just focus on deaths. That lets covid "losers" be marginalized as old, already sick, etc. Plus advances in treatment make covid seem no biggie just go on with your life.. People who are hospitalized are not having a good day and don't have the sniffles.

20201109_101642.jpg

On the other hand 14% of Ohio ICU beds are CoViD.    300 people are absent from work at the Cleveland Clinic from CoViD, mostly caught on their days off per the state.    They tell us the challenge isn’t bed space or ventilators.    It’s nurses and ancillary team.    The state could face two options.    Limit other procedures or watch hospitals reduce care of critically ill patients as frantic nurses complete one set of treatments as the next treatment comes due.   Hospital demand is growing faster each week then my yearly insurance premium increases.   Of course it’s all a conspiracy to subject our noses to grievous mask bondage.

2 minutes ago, Lark said:

On the other hand 14% of Ohio ICU beds are CoViD.    300 people are absent from work at the Cleveland Clinic from CoViD, mostly caught on their days off per the state.    They tell us the challenge isn’t bed space or ventilators.    It’s nurses and ancillary team.    The state could face two options.    Limit other procedures or watch hospitals reduce care of critically ill patients as frantic nurses complete one set of treatments as the next treatment comes due.   Hospital demand is growing faster each week then my yearly insurance premium increases.   Of course it’s all a conspiracy to subject our noses to grievous mask bondage.

The nutters don't get it and don't care, might ask why staff who are positive in ND are still working -  because they are in desperate need.  The Air Force is in El Paso not to bomb but to provide medical staff.

Anyone that thinks PA is full of nutters need to spend time in this forum. sheesh. And for extra fun - looking at states out of control you can map the travels of the Sturgess Rally last summer.  If only someone had known having hundreds of thousands of bikers rally wasn't a good idea.

1 minute ago, d'ranger said:

The nutters don't get it and don't care, might ask why staff who are positive in ND are still working -  because they are in desperate need.  The Air Force is in El Paso not to bomb but to provide medical staff.

Anyone that thinks PA is full of nutters need to spend time in this forum. sheesh. And for extra fun - looking at states out of control you can map the travels of the Sturgess Rally last summer.  If only someone had known having hundreds of thousands of bikers rally wasn't a good idea.

No it wasn’t.    Unfortunately the weekend’s often maskless victory celebrations weren’t any wiser.

• 1 month later...

Read an article about overflowing hospitals in the US:

“We are pretty much at capacity, and the volume is certainly different from previous flu seasons,” says Dr. Alfred Tallia, professor and chair of family medicine at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey. 

Even then, the LA Times reported this week, emergency departments had standing-room only, and some patients had to be treated in hallways.

https://time.com/5107984/hospitals-handling-burden-flu-patients/

So, maybe I've been wrong all along?

On 11/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, d'ranger said:

The nutters don't get it and don't care, might ask why staff who are positive in ND are still working -  because they are in desperate need. 

North Dakota allowed medical staff positive to Covid-19 to continue working but only with confirmed Covid-19 patients.

The hospitalisations peaked soon after at 340 mid-November and have been dropping quickly since.  Currently at 156 with 18 of those in ICU.

On 10/27/2020 at 3:10 AM, WestCoast said:

I can't 'cherry pick' the data... it's a chart directly from the CDC site. They update it  weekly.
Here is the link if you want to look for yourself:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

Today it goes to October 17th. Hospitalizations declined again.
Chart attached.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 5.08.46 PM.png

Todays graph, for the non-believers.

image.thumb.png.c8ed8f6072bfbfb39014d9af68d41893.png