There are two very simple moderish vs. out there that I would recommend.  If you are installing a modem with your SSB then I would download Airmail and all the extras, it's free, winlink is also free HF email.  They have a weather fax tool uncooperated into it.  As well as easy tools for requesting forecasts from anywhere in the world.

The absolute simplist way is to use a tablet and download a app like Black cat that will translate the weather faxes.  You can download the directory of wx fx and forecasts with times online, also I think they have at saildocs.  You just hold you tablet by the speaker or use a audio cord and it pulls the information out.

If you have to stay period specific then best to go to a local marine electronics shop and have them give you a walk thru on set-up. Nobody has used these is quite a while with the availability of sat wx.

20 hours ago, justanothersailor said:

US 2022 Golden Globe Race entrant needs weatherfax help & training. Is anyone available for a chat to help me understand and shortcut what appears to be confusing internet information?

Please give me a call @ 305-766-5832 located Key West, Fl . EST

Having difficulty understanding frequencies, times for downloading them. I have used grib files w laptop at see, need to use a paper version for the GGR due to rules of the race. Do you have experience using a weatherfax machine, my unt is a Furuno 207.

17 minutes ago, SASSAFRASS said:

There are two very simple moderish vs. out there that I would recommend.  If you are installing a modem with your SSB then I would download Airmail and all the extras, it's free, winlink is also free HF email.  They have a weather fax tool uncooperated into it.  As well as easy tools for requesting forecasts from anywhere in the world.

The absolute simplist way is to use a tablet and download a app like Black cat that will translate the weather faxes.  You can download the directory of wx fx and forecasts with times online, also I think they have at saildocs.  You just hold you tablet by the speaker or use a audio cord and it pulls the information out.

If you have to stay period specific then best to go to a local marine electronics shop and have them give you a walk thru on set-up. Nobody has used these is quite a while with the availability of sat wx.

I am not allowed any digital equipment in the race, do you have experience with a weather fax machine?

2 hours ago, justanothersailor said:

Having difficulty understanding frequencies, times for downloading them. 

You’ll definitely want this (see attached pics): https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf

And there’s tons of radio fax overview and detailed info in the links at the bottom of NOAA’s Marine page (the links “Radiofax Information” and “Radiofacsimile User’s Guide”):  https://www.weather.gov/marine/radiofax_charts

As well —and I find this slightly confusing, another arm of NOAA, the Ocean Prediction Center (which is different from the source of the radiofax info in the links above, which are from NOAA’s National Weather Service site...) —anyway, their Ocean Prediction Center (OPC) produces these scheds of their fax broadcasts/frequencies/contents (also listed in the big PDF file, “Worldwide Marine Radiofacsimile Nroadvast Schedules”):

OPC Pacific sched/frequencies: https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/pacsch.php

Atlantic: https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/atlsch.php

068413AB-93AD-4A9E-9B6E-55BF1C822289.jpeg

5F2BB378-23C0-4616-AC37-91DBCA3392BB.jpeg

4E572003-7A0A-4F40-BE50-674A100BB342.jpeg

Also, if you are in a marina on shore power you may struggle to pick up any HF signals due to interference - might be worth going out to anchor in the keys somewhere for a night to experiment with it and with reception.  When I last used a weather fax seriously it was with a laptop into an SSB through an aux cable and it worked well, but found that in my marina in LA harbor was almost impossible to get good signals, and struggled with even the time signals, but got pretty good reception out at sea.  Found there was a bit of a black hole of weather fax in the Southern Indian Ocean in particular and ended up relying mostly on GRIBs there, but the weather fax was super helpful transiting N & S in the Pacific from LA, and was more useful than the GRIBs for hurricane avoidance in the Pacific.

7 minutes ago, hdra said:

Found there was a bit of a black hole of weather fax in the Southern Indian Ocean

extends to the North Indian Ocean , South China Sea and Red Sea .

Another possibly useful resource  - just realized I have it on board.  Its just a small book, about 1/4” thick and 100 pages, but he covers things from tuning a radio to help improve fax reception, antennas and other radio stuff, to forecasting wind from map isobars and related weather stuff.  

45348101-86D5-48F3-BE18-27F7C7CE5D05.jpeg

God, can you still get the paper weatherfax rolls....?  Part # TP-0820B!

It's like a contest to climb Mt. Everest in wool jackets and hobnail boots, with hemp ropes.

Yeah the PDF book of radio fax schedules should be confirmed with the appropriate national weather service because some parts get out of date. Of course you'll have to print it out with no computers aboard! 

Times in that book are all in UTC I think. Easiest way is to have a small 24 hour clock set to UTC. But no i.c.'s just mechanical

51owuRLoY-L._AC_.jpg

Best of luck to you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Zonker said:

God, can you still get the paper weatherfax rolls....?  Part # TP-0820B!

It's like a contest to climb Mt. Everest in wool jackets and hobnail boots, with hemp ropes.

Yeah the PDF book of radio fax schedules should be confirmed with the appropriate national weather service because some parts get out of date. Of course you'll have to print it out with no computers aboard! 

Times in that book are all in UTC I think. Easiest way is to have a small 24 hour clock set to UTC. But no i.c.'s just mechanical

51owuRLoY-L._AC_.jpg

Best of luck to you.

Thank you, everyone, I'll work through the information provided in the next several days. My boat is on a mooring off Key West, Hopefully, I'll gey reception w/o having to sail out into open water, if not I'll just go for a sail.

9 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Another possibly useful resource  - just realized I have it on board.  Its just a small book, about 1/4” thick and 100 pages, but he covers things from tuning a radio to help improve fax reception, antennas and other radio stuff, to forecasting wind from map isobars and related weather stuff.  

45348101-86D5-48F3-BE18-27F7C7CE5D05.jpeg

Thank you, everyone, I'll work through the information provided in the next several days. My boat is on a mooring off Key West, Hopefully, I'll gey reception w/o having to sail out into open water, if not I'll just go for a sail.

19 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

You’ll definitely want this (see attached pics): https://www.weather.gov/media/marine/rfax.pdf

And there’s tons of radio fax overview and detailed info in the links at the bottom of NOAA’s Marine page (the links “Radiofax Information” and “Radiofacsimile User’s Guide”):  https://www.weather.gov/marine/radiofax_charts

As well —and I find this slightly confusing, another arm of NOAA, the Ocean Prediction Center (which is different from the source of the radiofax info in the links above, which are from NOAA’s National Weather Service site...) —anyway, their Ocean Prediction Center (OPC) produces these scheds of their fax broadcasts/frequencies/contents (also listed in the big PDF file, “Worldwide Marine Radiofacsimile Nroadvast Schedules”):

OPC Pacific sched/frequencies: https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/pacsch.php

Atlantic: https://ocean.weather.gov/shtml/atlsch.php

068413AB-93AD-4A9E-9B6E-55BF1C822289.jpeg

5F2BB378-23C0-4616-AC37-91DBCA3392BB.jpeg

4E572003-7A0A-4F40-BE50-674A100BB342.jpeg

18 hours ago, Mid said:

extends to the North Indian Ocean , South China Sea and Red Sea .

21 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

The first place you should call is Furuno customer support in Camas WA, they are very helpful. 

https://www.furunousa.com/en/knowledge_base/general/contacting_furuno_departments

Ok... I think I've got it all figured out... but the Furuno 207 during the self-test appears to be showing a printer error... now looking for another one on Ebay... HA

Thank all for your help and assistance. Stay tuned as US Golden Globe entry works toward the starting line Sept 2022

www.keysspiri.com

On 10/31/2020 at 10:12 AM, SASSAFRASS said:

I think that's the same printer they use in Furunos GMDSS setup, probably a ton of old used ones out there.

Glad you got it working!  Good luck

I did not get it working, just found another 207 on Ebay, hopefully this one works

Let us know how it goes.

Pro Tip for everyone: Do NOT transmit on the fax frequency to set your tuner. It makes blobs and lines across the maps for everyone else :angry:

If you have to do this, pick a voice frequency near the fax frequency but not lower. Once your tuner is set it acts like a low pass filter, frequencies higher than what you tuned will be attenuated.