Jump to content

"Is the LP Laser gonna make it?"


Recommended Posts

It's only a matter of time before LP and Laser stop production on the Laser.  Since new ones don't have a plaque, they're going to lean on the new class association and recreational sailors.  They won't have much of a chance.  Any racer will buy an ILCA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCB said:

It's only a matter of time before LP and Laser stop production on the Laser.  Since new ones don't have a plaque, they're going to lean on the new class association and recreational sailors.  They won't have much of a chance.  Any racer will buy an ILCA.

And if you really want to hasten the death of the Laser, why not convert your real Laser into a fake ILCA with this free decal?

199159456_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_34_19PM.thumb.png.35f0fe4f274a270720334caa6cac3dda.png 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WCB said:

It's only a matter of time before LP and Laser stop production on the Laser.  Since new ones don't have a plaque, they're going to lean on the new class association and recreational sailors.  They won't have much of a chance.  Any racer will buy an ILCA.

It might help is some day they actually had boats here to deliver

"Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Sales Team will contact you regarding shipping this order"
 
And also might help if they had parts in stock
 
"CHECK AVAILABILITY"
"SOLD OUT"
 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tillerman said:

And if you really want to hasten the death of the Laser, why not convert your real Laser into a fake ILCA with this free decal?

199159456_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_34_19PM.thumb.png.35f0fe4f274a270720334caa6cac3dda.png 
 

Well that's no challenge...I have a vinyl cutter in my office.  I think the ISAF sticker is the one they'll be looking for.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, VWAP said:

It might help is some day they actually had boats here to deliver

"Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Sales Team will contact you regarding shipping this order"
 
And also might help if they had parts in stock
 
"CHECK AVAILABILITY"
"SOLD OUT"
 

Totally agreed.  We reached out to a retailer about buying ten Bugs from LP and we were warned against it due to lack of delivery, lack of complete boats when delivered...etc.  They gave us better options.  At some point this will come to an end...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this.. Good deals on all LP clearance sale, shipping to Spain a bit steep: 

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/sale/laserperformance-clearance?fbclid=IwAR0Tm3zZXMPAzoXSEpFqnMGLNFAPde8rN0pLTaOvU2FKEuxKINb_3uQJF0Y

And you can get a full PSA ILCA with all the goddies (carbon top and tiller, etc...) for 7k quid... Doesn't look as bad as they say

ilca.png.7c56c9e3c8406d667dfd30d1051cc991.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also heard the Portuguese town of Setúbal is suing ILCA for this (they put a lot of money into bringing the plant there...) Does anybody know if this is actually true? I don't know how they could be held responsible even if they kicked LP as builders.

 

Note: this is just gossip heard at the club from a Portuguese sailor this weekend...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wess said:

Lasers are like cockroaches; they can't be killed and they will never die.  Just you wait and see LOL.

An ILCA by any other name is still a Laser

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

https://www.velasailingsupply.com/laser-performance-laser-radial-race-version

Like this? Are these boats class legal? If so, maybe this is the time to buy new lasers!:unsure: $8000 vs $6000...

“Please call to confirm the stock availability”. Highly unlikely.
These are the LP boats that are not ILCA legal. I don’t believe any have ever actually made it over the pond. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

https://www.velasailingsupply.com/laser-performance-laser-radial-race-version

Like this? Are these boats class legal? If so, maybe this is the time to buy new lasers!:unsure: $8000 vs $6000...

No...those are not class legal unless sailed in a non-class sanctioned event against older Lasers and new ILCAs.  It's all about the ISAF sticker.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Just saw this.. Good deals on all LP clearance sale, shipping to Spain a bit steep: 

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/sale/laserperformance-clearance?fbclid=IwAR0Tm3zZXMPAzoXSEpFqnMGLNFAPde8rN0pLTaOvU2FKEuxKINb_3uQJF0Y

And you can get a full PSA ILCA with all the goddies (carbon top and tiller, etc...) for 7k quid... Doesn't look as bad as they say

ilca.png.7c56c9e3c8406d667dfd30d1051cc991.png

That is astronomically expensive for piece of chop strand polyester shit.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

That is astronomically expensive for piece of chop strand polyester shit.

+1

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/laser-harken-xd-kicker-top-bloc

And for a dinky little block like that, we're supposed to pay the equivalent of $40?! and that's the sale price.

Absolutely ridiculous! And if you want to buy the same article from a different but not Class "' approved" company, its illegal. Convenient.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

End of rant:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tillerman said:

But it does have a World Sailing sticker.

Well then that is astronomically expensive for a world sailing sticker stuck on a piece of chop strand polyester shit! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bill5 said:

FIFY

LOL I told you I had you hooked. The fishing is too easy.  Fruit fly is hooked bad and the most fun to play with but you and Clean are up there too.  Robbie coming on strong.  I mean as we descend into winter and more and more covidiocy what else is there to do!?  :ph34r:

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Admiral Hornblower said:

+1

https://www.sailboats.co.uk/laser-harken-xd-kicker-top-bloc

And for a dinky little block like that, we're supposed to pay the equivalent of $40?! and that's the sale price.

Absolutely ridiculous! And if you want to buy the same article from a different but not Class "' approved" company, its illegal. Convenient.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

End of rant:)

It's not an "ILCA-only" part. This particular fitting is useful for lots of boats. Below is from Harken's catalog. Allen offer a much slicker one - no becket - for only $145 if you really want to be cool. The only true ILCA-specific fitting Harken make is the lower vang fitting.  

image.png.6c24ce17a987ef1d9916e35e4d7cbe5e.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wess said:

LOL I told you I had you hooked. The fishing is too easy.  Fruit fly is hooked bad and the most fun to play with but you and Clean are up there too.  Robbie coming on strong.  I mean as we descend into winter and more and more covidiocy what else is there to do!?  :ph34r:

Different thread, different hook. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Major Tom said:

Well then that is astronomically expensive for a world sailing sticker stuck on a piece of chop strand polyester shit! 

Not quite as many Sonnets in the neighborhood. Nice looking boat, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Major Tom said:

That is astronomically expensive for piece of chop strand polyester shit.

I totally agree, but I was told this weekend that ILCA boats were over 9.000€ and 7.000 looked good...

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bill5 said:

It's not an "ILCA-only" part. This particular fitting is useful for lots of boats. Below is from Harken's catalog. Allen offer a much slicker one - no becket - for only $145 if you really want to be cool. The only true ILCA-specific fitting Harken make is the lower vang fitting.  

image.png.6c24ce17a987ef1d9916e35e4d7cbe5e.png

Knock it off with legitimate  facts 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, chuso007 said:

I totally agree, but I was told this weekend that ILCA boats were over 9.000€ and 7.000 looked good...

you were also told that the a city is going to sue ILCA for laser performance shutting their factory, weren't you? Same source?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

you were also told that the a city is going to sue ILCA for laser performance shutting their factory, weren't you? Same source?

Yup, but as I said before, dock gossip...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Xeon said:

Am no expert but I have never heard of any European law that would allow this kind of litigation.

I have no idea whether there's any truth in that rumour. I tend to doubt it.

What follows is guaranteed 100% pure speculation with not even a trace of a rumour to support it. But if LP had signed a contract with a city guaranteeing that a subsidised factory would remain active for a minimum length of time, and it were closed earlier than that, then wouldn't ordinary contract law be enough to support litigation? But I am decidedly not a lawyer, so am most probably wrong, and it's pure unfounded speculation to even suggest such a situation might exist anyway. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some Portuguese news articles about the LP campus below. They suggest LP has promised to invest 8M Euros to build it out.
The scale of it seems pretty impressive if they did a full build out.  


I haven't heard anything in the dealer network / supply chain, aside from unofficial confirmation that production was moving to Portugal from the UK.
I know LP ownership keeps this stuff pretty close to their chest, so, I'd probably be the last to know.


I'm living pretty close to here at the moment, so, I am planning to stop by in a week or two and say hello, see for myself.

 

(Use Google Chrome to convert to English, unless you know Portugese)

https://www.osetubalense.com/sociedade/2020/03/24/laserperformance-investe-8-milhoes-de-euros-em-setubal-ate-2021/

https://diariodistrito.pt/setubal-nova-fabrica-da-laserperformance-vai-avancar/

https://www.adn-agenciadenoticias.com/2020/06/ps-anuncia-nova-fabrica-da.html

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xeon said:

Am no expert but I have never heard of any European law that would allow this kind of litigation.

I was going to say exactly what JimC said... If they signed a contract of some sort it could be litigated, although I'm pretty sure that that contract would be between the city and LP, not ILCA.

Again, I have no facts, just pure speculation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WestCoast said:

There are some Portuguese news articles about the LP campus below. They suggest LP has promised to invest 8M Euros to build it out.
The scale of it seems pretty impressive if they did a full build out.  


I haven't heard anything in the dealer network / supply chain, aside from unofficial confirmation that production was moving to Portugal from the UK.
I know LP ownership keeps this stuff pretty close to their chest, so, I'd probably be the last to know.


I'm living pretty close to here at the moment, so, I am planning to stop by in a week or two and say hello, see for myself.

 

(Use Google Chrome to convert to English, unless you know Portugese)

https://www.osetubalense.com/sociedade/2020/03/24/laserperformance-investe-8-milhoes-de-euros-em-setubal-ate-2021/

https://diariodistrito.pt/setubal-nova-fabrica-da-laserperformance-vai-avancar/

https://www.adn-agenciadenoticias.com/2020/06/ps-anuncia-nova-fabrica-da.html

I visited Portugal a year ago.  I was able to make contact via email with a representative at the plant.  I asked if I could visit to see how Lasers were built.  The reply was "Sorry we only build 420's here".  I asked if I could come see anyway and received no further reply.  Portugal is AWESOME by the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Do European countries play the same game with corporations that we do here in the US?  Relocate here with all these big promises of high-paying jobs, and we'll grant you all these tax breaks and incentives?  With very few exceptions (BMW in South Carolina comes to mind), they never play out as promised.  I think it's a slap in the face to existing businesses that have been employing people and paying taxes locally for years.

Dell played that game near a while back, but only stayed a couple of years.  The local government was able to get some of their incentive money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, torrid said:

Do European countries play the same game with corporations that we do here in the US?  Relocate here with all these big promises of high-paying jobs, and we'll grant you all these tax breaks and incentives?  With very few exceptions (BMW in South Carolina comes to mind), they never play out as promised.  I think it's a slap in the face to existing businesses that have been employing people and paying taxes locally for years.

Dell played that game near a while back, but only stayed a couple of years.  The local government was able to get some of their incentive money back.

Big time, and not only mone, also free land, roads, cheaper energy....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless ILCA were party to the contract, I can’t see how they could possibly be dragged into this. And the chance of LP and ILCA teaming up on anything is zero.

But LP and Rastegar might be in a spot of bother. But Rastegar has been in more lawsuits than the number of boats he has sold in NA over the past couple years. So totally his comfort zone. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

What a perfect thread!!

50 posts on a subject no one comprehends by folks who have no facts upon which to base anything 

love this place!!! 

You don't want too many facts! The more variables and unknowns the better! Variables, unknowns and guesswork are the necessary components of reckless discussion. Just ask Wess.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

50 posts on a subject no one comprehends by folks who have no facts upon which to base anything 

When did anyone around here ever let something like facts get in the way?!?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gouvernail said:

What a perfect thread!!

50 posts on a subject no one comprehends by folks who have no facts upon which to base anything 

love this place!!! 

Best Of Homer Simpson | Simpsons quotes, Simpsons meme, Homer simpson

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RobbieB said:

I visited Portugal a year ago.  I was able to make contact via email with a representative at the plant.  I asked if I could visit to see how Lasers were built.  The reply was "Sorry we only build 420's here".  I asked if I could come see anyway and received no further reply.  Portugal is AWESOME by the way.

The plan was to do 420 (Z and C) first, get that going, then move Sunfish and then Laser there.
I doubt there was any desire to do any of the plastic boats and have rotomolding machines.  
But, from what I've heard, Sunfish is happening there (interesting, since there is little European demand for this model), and that Laser is close.

I believe the UK factory gets shut down and turned into housing/redevelopment.
(Screenshot attached of the Long Buckby factory with For Rent signs.)


Again, that is all held close to the chest there, but an 8M Euros corporate campus is...   yeah, that doesn't happen in the small boat industry.
That is a totally different scale/planet.


 

Screen_Shot_2020-10-28_at_5_46.24_AM.png

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, chuso007 said:

Working on both sides of the building? The question is if they are building lasers or other stuff...

There are two, identical buildings next to each other, but, they only appear to have the one.

There are 420s in the back, and a bunch of tooling on the side. I saw one dude in a Tyvek suit walking around, but again, didn't go inside.
I'm asking the powers that be for a tour, but, I doubt it's a priority for them right now.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...