he will be President at some point

I’ve seen clips of several of his recent appearances. He sure looks to be ready for prime time. Harris’ VP running mate in ‘24?

I’ve been saying for months that what the Dems (and the country) need is a young, modern version of Biden.  Could be Pete. Warm, genuine, not ego-centric, etc.

I voted for this guy in the Dem primary.  Educated, committed, articulate, ex-serviceman, multi-lingual, and seemed like an all round good man.  What I've seen since just amplifies that.  I think he'll go the distance.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I’ve been saying for months that what the Dems (and the country) need is a young, modern version of Biden.  Could be Pete. Warm, genuine, not ego-centric, etc.

Yep, america needs a Justin Trudeau.

7 minutes ago, Irish River said:

I believe that he is spoken for.  Even if the US could make him an offer he would never give up his free (socialized) health care. (Who could blame him):)

7 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I believe that he is spoken for.  Even if the US could make him an offer he would never give up his free (socialized) health care. (Who could blame him):)

Free?  Not so much, just the rich people pay more taxes so the rest of population can live better.

You can have him, his ego is getting in the way of good canandian manners.

1 hour ago, Irish River said:

A highly recognizable last name and a pretty face do not make a good leader, as we are experiencing now in real-time.

Pete needs to be a bit more progressive . . . 

Dems need to understand that we are in a struggle for the control of the party . . 

You can go with the Koch/HRC neo-liberal third wave, or with the progressives. 

Pete needs a little jump to the left 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Keith said:

A highly recognizable last name and a pretty face do not make a good leader, as we are experiencing now in real-time.

Where is the new Tommy Douglas to take us to the next level? The USA is crawling up to Saskatchewan 1960. We can do better.

6 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Where is the new Tommy Douglas to take us to the next level? The USA is crawling up to Saskatchewan 1960. We can do better.

Correct-a-Mundo hombre 

Pete needs to file for divorce from Wall St. and the Military Industrial Complex 

He sure is a smooth talker 

but you have to be really stupid to follow a pol on that basis alone 

2 hours ago, Irish River said:

The American equivalent to Justin is somebody like Chelsea Clinton, not Pete B.

2 hours ago, Irish River said:

Free?  Not so much, just the rich people pay more taxes so the rest of population can live better.

Common misconception.  But in reality, the American health care "system" eats more tax dollars per capita ($5,139 USD)  than the Canadian health care system ($3,505 USD).  

That's aside from the private spending ($5,107) disparity ($1,250).

2017 numbers, most recent available: source is WHO: https://apps.who.int/nha/database/Select/Indicators/en

4 minutes ago, Gouvernail said:

Prediction:

Biden cites health and resigns within months of starting his term ( perhaps as many as 36, probably 14-20)

Harris appoints Pete as VP

2024 race is Barbara and Jenna vs Kamala and Pete

2024 is Jr and Ivanka. Much hilarity ensues.

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Do you think O'Toole would do better?

2 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

free (socialized) health care.

Oxymoron alert.  I'm not against socialized health care.  But stop calling it "free".  It is anything but.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

Do you think O'Toole would do better?

I think lots of people would be better than JT. I'm not sold on the O'toole yet.  I'm liking the minority government to keep things in check. Wish we could've kept it for a while in BC, it was refreshing to see them working together.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, frenchie said:

It's cheaper than what we have...

Well yeah but so is every other 1st World country's healthcare system on the entire planet.

US exceptionalism at its finest!

FKT

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Dems need to understand that we are in a struggle for the control of the party . . 

No he doesn’t 

4 hours ago, Venom said:

he will be President sucking cock at some point

FIFY

Just like our vice president is now ? 
and Who cares.... Other than homophobes . Are you afraid that they’re going to turn you gay. perhaps you secretly crave that don’t you ?

17 minutes ago, dacapo said:
4 hours ago, Venom said:

FIFY

and Who cares.... Other than homophobes . Are you afraid that they’re going to turn you gay. perhaps you secretly crave that don’t you ?

I agree, he comes across as self-loathing.

8 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

^^^
We need put politicians in office who won't have to provide an ROI to fat cat donors.

22 minutes ago, Jules said:

^^^
We need put politicians in office who won't have to provide an ROI to fat cat donors.

Go too far to the left and you WILL Lose moderates like myself.  

7 hours ago, Irish River said:

I think lots of people would be better than JT. I'm not sold on the O'toole yet.  I'm liking the minority government to keep things in check. Wish we could've kept it for a while in BC, it was refreshing to see them working together.  

The new Green leader is a very impressive woman with a terrific resume. We shall see about O'Toole. He needs to show that his party can be proactive and not just reactive. He needs to show that he can do well in urban/suburban Ontario and Quebec and that will be difficult. Next election will be a Liberal win, either majority or minority. I am all for the latter.

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

I'm talking about getting the influence of money out of politics.  Do that and we will suddenly find politicians who have to work for the people.

Pete has taken big bucks from fat cat donors.  He's not going to kill the golden goose.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:
1 hour ago, dacapo said:

I'm talking about getting the influence of money out of politics.  Do that and we will suddenly find politicians who have to work for the people.

Pete has taken big bucks from fat cat donors.  He's not going to kill the golden goose.

Well, it will be interesting to see what Mayor Pete becomes, after this election.

He's transitioned into being a very effective IMHO campaign surrogate, undoubtedly building up his own network as well. Will he run for office again in the 2022 mid-terms? Take a position in the Biden Administration (assuming Biden gets in)? Dunno. Almost certain to be a Pres candidate again in 2024.

But if you're looking for a leftie Messiah, I agree Mayor Pete ain't The One.

- DSK

1 hour ago, dacapo said:

American politics are skewed so far to the right that it would take many steps to the left just to get back to the middle.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, dacapo said:

Virtually everything on the progressive agenda is supported by a MAJORITY of the American people - 

Med4A, $15 min wage, green new deal, all of it. 

Maybe you're not really "moderate". 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, dacapo said:

Just stated a fact, not a judgement, decapo. 

20 minutes ago, AJ Oliver said:

Virtually everything on the progressive agenda is supported by a MAJORITY of the American people -

Not including Biden! DUH :lol: 

2 minutes ago, roundthebuoys said:

There it is, right out in the open.

Reminds me of when I first learned Santa Claus was not real. :mellow:

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Well yeah but so is every other 1st World country's healthcare system on the entire planet.

US exceptionalism at its finest!

FKT

Exactly - it is exceptionally expensive and it produces exceptionally poor results.

WTF do you want?

3 hours ago, dacapo said:

Being an American, that statement labels you as pretty far right wing.

3 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The new Green leader is a very impressive woman with a terrific resume. We shall see about O'Toole. He needs to show that his party can be proactive and not just reactive. He needs to show that he can do well in urban/suburban Ontario and Quebec and that will be difficult. Next election will be a Liberal win, either majority or minority. I am all for the latter.

The Tories lost their chance for another generation when they failed to make Rona their leader.

AFAIAC she was the only one they had who could have swung moderates their way.

6 hours ago, dacapo said:

It's true. Homophobes are generally just self-haters.

41 minutes ago, Nice! said:

It's true. Homophobes are generally just self-haters.

Well actually, there is solid research showing that a whole lot of homophobes . . 

have tendencies. 

3 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I’m afraid it’s a necessary evil, and doesn't necessarily mean that the recipient is being corrupted. If a politician shapes his/her positions based on $$, yeah, that’s a problem. If donors give because they support a candidates positions, not so much. I’d like to think Mayor Pete falls in the latter category. 

11 hours ago, Venom said:

FIFY

So, sucking cock is a bad thing...unless someone of your preferred gender offers to suck yours. 

Or has that service not been on offer to you?  With your choice of screen name I can't imagine why not.  Poor Venom.  

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

If donors give because they support a candidates positions, not so much. I’d like to think Mayor Pete falls in the latter category. 

That's not how it went down - Pete aggressively went after their money. 

What did he promise in return ?? 

4 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

But if you're looking for a leftie Messiah, I agree Mayor Pete ain't The One.

I don't care if they are left, right or in between, just as long as they are for, at least, diminishing the influence money has in our elections.  If we got money out of politics, the rest would take care of itself.

• Like 1

Agree with Mr. Jules - the Reich fights tooth and nail to keep the money spigot on full blast. 

And also folks, it would be nice for the future of the republic, such as it is, if people 

would stop gravitating toward a candidate simply because she/he is a smooth talker. 

Lots or really smooth talkers are monstrous human beings. 

And in fact, talking smoothly is one of the first things they teach at psychopath school. 

19 hours ago, Sean said:
22 hours ago, Steam Flyer said:

I’m afraid it’s a necessary evil, and doesn't necessarily mean that the recipient is being corrupted. If a politician shapes his/her positions based on $$, yeah, that’s a problem. If donors give because they support a candidates positions, not so much. I’d like to think Mayor Pete falls in the latter category.

That quote was from Jules, not me; however I agree with it. Mayor Pete must have strong character to do what he's doing, seeking a national platform and standing in the spotlight. His record shows he's at least a capable leader. Not sure what he's got going on behind the scenes.

No public persona is the person we think they are. The question, to what extent that person deliberately deceive, and profit from that deception?

- DSK

19 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

Agree with Ms Jules

FIFY

19 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

And also folks, it would be nice for the future of the republic, such as it is, if people 

would stop gravitating toward a candidate simply because she/he is a smooth talker. 

Lots or really smooth talkers are monstrous human beings. 

And in fact, talking smoothly is one of the first things they teach at psychopath school.

The ability to bullshit shamelessly has catapulted far too many to leadership positions.  I never understood supporting those types.