CYCA S2H Two-handed division

From the CYCA:

This year’s Rolex Sydney Hobart, the 76th running of the race, welcomes a new division of boats and sailors to the world-renowned racecourse with the Two-Handed division included for the first time.

After witnessing the worldwide increase in popularity of two-handed sailing, culminating in the inclusion of two-handed sailing in the Paris Olympics, the Club decided that the inclusion would be a great progression for offshore sailing in Australia. In 2019 this new and exciting division joined the Club’s sailing calendar with the Two-Handed Pointscore, with many embracing and undertaking the challenge.

In 2019, with the announcement of the Two-Handed Pointscore, the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia also announced that a Two-Handed division would be included in the 2020 Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore including the annual Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race

However, the inclusion of the new division, and the way in which the teams compete, brings a new complexity of sophisticated sailing technology with the use of Autopilot units.

The Club acknowledges further understanding needs to be gained to appreciate the full capacity and range of technology available to two-handed competitors, and how these are accommodated within different handicap rating systems. “With hindsight, because of our enthusiasm in embracing two-handed sailing, we may have acted too quickly allowing two-handed boats to be eligible to compete for one of sailing’s most prestigious trophies, the Tattersall Cup,” said Commodore Noel Cornish.

As such, the Club has amended the 2020 Rolex Sydney Hobart Notice of Race to reflect that two-handed entrants will be scored within their own handicap category divisions and not be eligible to compete against fully crewed boats in divisions or for the overall race win.

This decision to separate two-handed and fully-crewed divisions will also be reflected across other pointscores including the Audi Centre Sydney Blue Water Pointscore.

The inclusion of the Two-Handed division is an important step forward and as such the Club will honour it with a new perpetual trophy for the IRC Two-Handed overall winner.

“The Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race is steeped in history and tradition and inclusion of a two-handed division is a progressive step forward for the Club,” said the Commodore.

The Club is continuing to proceed with planning for the upcoming 2020 Rolex Sydney Hobart and is dedicated to undertaking a COVIDSafe event for all.

Comments?

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

Comments?

What bunch of horseshit. CYCA is still in the dark ages, not liking change. Dont most events allow two handed entrants to get results alongside fully crewed? We do here in NZ anyway.

Rub it in. NZ are getting a lot of things right. Even with examples of success across the ditch, Australia seems stuck in an imaginary past. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, toad said:

Would love to see Alex Thompson and his mate win it but that would never do for the CYCA old boys club

Even if we had the entire imoca fleet competing, I bet the broadcast would still be exclusively a super-maxi match-racing show... Although maybe this year with only two of them we'll get to see a tp52 or two on there too

have to say the pissing match between assholes on 100 footers is pretty dull, it's their race and they can do what they want with it but wouldn't it be great with a division of crazy frogs driving big offshore multis (or foilers) to add a bit of excitement.

• Like 2

I think it is interesting that quite a few of the Vendee boats have had autopilot issues leading to damage - I don't understand, because the CYCA says having these autopilots is like cheating because they are so good??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mccroc said:

I think it is interesting that quite a few of the Vendee boats have had autopilot issues leading to damage - I don't understand, because the CYCA says having these autopilots is like cheating because they are so good??

And the autopilots that the VG boats use are way way ahead of the consumer market in terms of technology in many cases. I imagine some of the Sydney boats will be running nothing more than a beefy tiller pilot that just steers to either the wind or a waypoint, not taking into account roll, waves, currents, etc. Because of this, I could easily see many boats still hand steering a lot of the time, especially in shifty conditions with a kite up.

3 hours ago, Fintho said:

And the autopilots that the VG boats use are way way ahead of the consumer market in terms of technology in many cases. I imagine some of the Sydney boats will be running nothing more than a beefy tiller pilot that just steers to either the wind or a waypoint, not taking into account roll, waves, currents, etc. Because of this, I could easily see many boats still hand steering a lot of the time, especially in shifty conditions with a kite up.

Absolutely - hand steering particularly during tacks and gybes, and also when reefing, setting sails etc.

• Like 1

Probably, with the best AP in the world,  the human will remain the the best option for almost 50% of the typical RSHYR, shorthanded.

Just remember that the budget and optimization for that is around 200% of the annual budget for your typical 40!

• Like 1

I have done a little 2 handed racing, and we hand steer basically all of the time, aside from light downwind and kite drops and peels.  Sure, I dont have a vendee level autopilot, but the advantage CYCA sees is almost definitely not there for 99% of competitors.

• Like 2

On 11/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, Fintho said:

Yep, and it doesn't stop at the autpilot choice but includes the sensors as well.

My old EVO version from Raymarine was a blistering 1hz, so one measurement output per second from any sensor. 

My NKE is better than this at 10hz, but not the elitist level.  

The high res processor bumps this up to 25hz, which is a fuck ton more than 10, let alone 1. But then you need to upgrade all the sensors to hi res (25hz), and that includes GPS, 9 axis compass, 3d sensor, wind sensor, speed sensor, maybe not forestay load sensor but etc etc.  

Then of course you have to set sensor fade for each inputs, the same for the outputs, then offsets, then fine tune the Surf mode and Gust mode....

Then you take a big deep breath and start on your Expedition or Adrena interface....

Then start to worry about wind correction tables ....

I get all wet over this stuff and it still takes a lot of flowcharts to sort it all out in my head. But I am a bit simple, so there is that.  

• Like 3

I honestly think the biggest shoe up their ass about it is worrying that a 40' double handed yacht corrects out ahead of a 100 footer.  Which would then eventually open the door to, gasp, solo sailors, and then the French would would come........

I'm all for DH or SH sailors being able to race for the Tattersalls Cup.  it would add a great feel to us armchair sailors watching it and pulling for the DH win against the big boys!

Love it!

On 11/28/2020 at 8:08 AM, Pearl Necklace said:

I honestly think the biggest shoe up their ass about it is worrying that a 40' double handed yacht corrects out ahead of a 100 footer.  Which would then eventually open the door to, gasp, solo sailors, and then the French would would come........

I realise that much of the s2h is a pissing contest for the supermaxis, but wouldn't it be awesome to watch a decent fleet of imocas or class 40's absolutely hauling ass through Sydney heads and around tasman island. I guess its still to far from France to tempt them into coming on down, and that foils aren't allowed (or are they? when does a daggerboard count as a foil?). 

54 minutes ago, Fintho said:

I realise that much of the s2h is a pissing contest for the supermaxis, but wouldn't it be awesome to watch a decent fleet of imocas or class 40's absolutely hauling ass through Sydney heads and around tasman island. I guess its still to far from France to tempt them into coming on down, and that foils aren't allowed (or are they? when does a daggerboard count as a foil?). 

Foils are permitted. I love the Classe 40s, and the new ones may be better all rounders, but the S2H often has to much running and upwind to suit that corner of the design field.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The 100 footers may get the Channel 7 coverage at the start but over the last 10 years or so they have only calculated out top 10 in the Tattersall four times. Now if you want a real pissing contest get a Cookson 50. They, ie that one design, have achieved top 10 in the Tattersall fourTEEN times. That's one of the reasons why we took one in 2016, and yes - we were top 10.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 4:31 PM, shanghaisailor said:

The 100 footers may get the Channel 7 coverage at the start but over the last 10 years or so they have only calculated out top 10 in the Tattersall four times. Now if you want a real pissing contest get a Cookson 50. They, ie that one design, have achieved top 10 in the Tattersall fourTEEN times. That's one of the reasons why we took one in 2016, and yes - we were top 10.

I’m not sure a Cookson 50 is all that ideal for a double handed attempt. 

7 hours ago, Monkey said:

I’m not sure a Cookson 50 is all that ideal for a double handed attempt. 

I agree entirely but I was responding to comments about 40 footer correcting ahead of the 100 footers, 50 footers do it all the time.

Having said that they race SIXTY footer round the world single handed so I am sure a FIFTY footer could be rigged to be suitable for double handed 600 mile race, but why bother. ;-)