World Sailing and China's Leadership

After reading this on the FP https://sailinganarchy.com/2020/10/29/you-got-mossed/

And then this on Scuttlebutt https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/11/01/new-president-elected-for-world-sailing/

One has to wonder where the World Sailing Council is headed. <sarcasm>Will there be a Sailing Re-Education Camp set up on some Island?  :P <\sarcasm>

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently his first action has been to rename an accidental gybe as an 'American Gybe'.

Wow, what a bitter little cunt China has turned you into. Trump has nothing to do with me, but his behaviour is like a child's tantrum compared to Xi who is happy to try and rival Attila. Trump t

The Accidental gybe or gybe all standing is often miscalled the "Chinese Gybe". It was something that happens to a Junk Rigged (hence the name) or Gaff Rigged vessel where the top of the sail (and gaf

Posted Images

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Apparently his first action has been to rename an accidental gybe as an 'American Gybe'.

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Oure we allowede to responde "fucke you" or "操你" juste tryning keepe optiones oppen.............                    :)

If Scot does not put this on the FP, then he really is a douche.

9 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The Accidental gybe or gybe all standing is often miscalled the "Chinese Gybe". It was something that happens to a Junk Rigged (hence the name) or Gaff Rigged vessel where the top of the sail (and gaff) gybes well before the boom or lower part of the sail which remains on the old gybe. Somewhere back then the gybe all standing started to be mis-called a Chinese Gybe and it kind of stuck. 

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

The Accidental gybe or gybe all standing is often miscalled the "Chinese Gybe". It was something that happens to a Junk Rigged (hence the name) or Gaff Rigged vessel where the top of the sail (and gaff) gybes well before the boom or lower part of the sail which remains on the old gybe. Somewhere back then the gybe all standing started to be mis-called a Chinese Gybe and it kind of stuck. 

Mmmm, trust you to take the fun out of it.

What about a mexican drop ?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Meat Wad said:

After reading this on the FP https://sailinganarchy.com/2020/10/29/you-got-mossed/

And then this on Scuttlebutt https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2020/11/01/new-president-elected-for-world-sailing/

One has to wonder where the World Sailing Council is headed. <sarcasm>Will there be a Sailing Re-Education Camp set up on some Island?  :P <\sarcasm>

Perhaps if ISAF hadn't got themselves into such a financial hoe including the not cheap (I'm sure) marketing re-branding to Word Sailing then Li Quan Hai's campaign promising to bring significant sponsorship to WS might not have had the vote winning capabilities it obviously had. It's not as if he is the first candidate in an election that promises cash in pockets. Virtually every politician promises lower taxes, better social payments, cheaper health care etc etc. Mainstream politicians do it almost every time.

Regarding the "You Got Mossed" I am working on a piece about that. It would be wrong to paint that as typical of regattas in China. The China Club Challenge Match this year proceeded with the fleet race element but put the match race part on hold because we couldn't bring in the IUs because of COVID restrictions and no matter how enthusiastic we were we there was no way we couldhave matched the skills of two former AC Umpires; China Cup in Shenzhen runs with a full International Jury, as does the Round Hainan Regatta although quite what will happen with that event this year (it is running) regarding judges and there are many other events that i know of where qualified judges are used, often from overseas. I know people on both sides of what happened and SailingIN is rightly aggrieved but i think the whole thig happened because of lack of knowledge and experience rather than anything else. If i am wrong on that one i will be sorely disappointed. Disappointed in my judge of character apart from anything else.

Errors, or not being far enough up the learning curve is not a solely Chinese phenomenon, I personally have experienced missing out on the top spot at an event due to incorrect actions of a protest committee. No less a person than the then head of RYA Scotland said they would support my appeal but it wasn't worth making waves. Shit happens although not normally that amount at the one event.

42 minutes ago, Dark Cloud said:

Mmmm, trust you to take the fun out of it.

What about a mexican drop ?

ha ha - sorry, I was just taking the piss but it is true. Or a Kiwi drop for that matter - both modern terms. WHat is a Mexican anyway? Apart from someone who lives th eother side of Donald's wall?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Miffy said:

Chinese gov and org participation in sports is never about sporting - but national dominance. 

end of story. 

The Chinese pursue sports excellent as part of their effort to return too its long-time role as the most dominant country in the world. The literal translation of China is 'Middle Kingdom' which gets the idea across. When we were in Beijing we wanted to buy some table tennis stuff and found a district that had several stores that specialized in TT and badminton gear only. They were just outside the Ministry of Sports compound. Inside each Olympic sport had its own building. When curling became an Olympic sport they had no exposure to the sport but get into it quickly. They built a few curling facilities in the country and selected some folks for intensive training. They were sent to live in Canada to be exposed to top level Canadian coaching and competition. Within a few years their women's team had won a world championship. 

In sailing they focus on Olympic classes and have won some Olympic medals. Support for big boat sailing is spotty and with the exception of a few regattas is very difficult and costly to do. For example, you may only import a new boat to the country and the luxury tax is something like 100%. People flag their boats offshore and can bring them into China for a year at a time. Malaysia is a popular flag of convenience. For a time it looked like my wife and I were going to captain a new boat for a guy who wanted to sail around the world while filming a reality show in the ports of call. Apparently we would sail with the owner and teach him and when we got somewhere interesting the film crew and pretty girls in bikinis would fly in from China to do an episode. We were to pick up the boat, a new Tayana 52 (or 54 I forget), at the factory in Taiwan and be on the boat to the Med. The owner figured by then he would know enough to complete the rtw. I think the television show fell through and the boat, which had been paid for, was still sitting in Taiwan.

1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

ha ha - sorry, I was just taking the piss but it is true. Or a Kiwi drop for that matter - both modern terms. WHat is a Mexican anyway? 

mexican drops are kiwi drops.  We just call them here because apparently when the AC was in San Diego, the boats would be turning towards Mexico during the move

• Like 1
14 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Mis-called or not that is what we have been calling it for 40 years. But thank you for the heads up on its origin. So the gaff is on one side and the boom is on the other. That should be called a 'pressing my arse cheeks hard together' gybe. Funny how the term 'Chinese Gybe' Gybe took off, but 'Wuhan Flu' didn't. 

'Wuhan Flu' is something that happens when a only a few people in the country of origin catch a virus but the rest of the world does. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Wuhan Flu' is something that happens when a only a few people in the country of origin catch a virus but the rest of the world does. 

I don’t particularly like calling it Wuhan flu because SARS-CoV-2 better identifies the family of diseases and links it with SARS 2003. 

that being said - I’d really wished Taiwanese didn’t have to blow the alarm independent of the WHO or the PRC. Wouldn’t have even known it was happening based on the PRC ppl not speaking or sharing info. 

• Like 1

I, for one, welcome our new over-lords and stand willing and ready at their beck and call, to execute any order, in the eternal fight that will forever be known as "The Great Leap Forward" for wind driven aquatic sport!! All hail The Leader!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Mis-called or not that is what we have been calling it for 40 years. But thank you for the heads up on its origin. So the gaff is on one side and the boom is on the other. That should be called a 'pressing my arse cheeks hard together' gybe. Funny how the term 'Chinese Gybe' Gybe took off, but 'Wuhan Flu' didn't. 

'Wuhan Flu' is something that happens when a only a few people in the country of origin catch a virus but the rest of the world does. 

Using it for 40 years? That just shows how long you have been ignorant. Just winding you up LB. Language does often evolve but what do you now call a genuine Chinese gybe when you see it happening to a gaff rigger?

Seems you are in the minority old son.

And bringing up the Trumpian name for COVID-19 is sailing awful close to racism is it not? Big difference between a term that is over 100 years in usage and a racist epithet of only a few months. Difference between a few people catching and a lot is how they dealt with it. If only "the rest of the world" had taken (and are still taking) actions like here, or Taiwan and New Zealand did then there might a few more empty hospitals and a few less full coffins

2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I don’t particularly like calling it Wuhan flu because SARS-CoV-2 better identifies the family of diseases and links it with SARS 2003. 

that being said - I’d really wished Taiwanese didn’t have to blow the alarm independent of the WHO or the PRC. Wouldn’t have even known it was happening based on the PRC ppl not speaking or sharing info. 

I agree with you Miffy. COVID-19 is of the same family of viruses as the 'common' influenza. It also doesn't have racist overtones. The PRC shared the information on 03.01.2020 and the genome on 19.01.2020. That some governments sat on their hands for up to 2 months and more is the fault of those governments that thought it was going to go away when even now there are a few that have not yet "turned the corner" and attempted to politicise the whole thing to distract from their own failings in dealing with the pandemic.

All I can say is I am glad I am here and not in the USA or UK at the moment. And by the way we still wear masks to go shopping (or we don't get into the mall) and when we use public transport - if we don't, we walk. And if there is a flare up, no matter how small they test every bugger and then track it to the source. (I have friends in Qingdao that told me how long they had to queue) THAT's why numbers are so much lower here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shanghaisailor said:

Using it for 40 years? That just shows how long you have been ignorant. Just winding you up LB. Language does often evolve but what do you now call a genuine Chinese gybe when you see it happening to a gaff rigger?

And bringing up the Trumpian name for COVID-19 is sailing awful close to racism is it not? Big difference between a term that is over 100 years in usage and a racist epithet of only a few months. Difference between a few people catching and a lot is how they dealt with it. If only "the rest of the world" had taken (and are still taking) actions like here, or Taiwan and New Zealand did then there might a few more empty hospitals and a few less full coffins

I agree with you Miffy. COVID-19 is of the same family of viruses as the 'common' influenza. It also doesn't have racist overtones. The PRC shared the information on 03.01.2020 and the genome on 19.01.2020. That some governments sat on their hands for up to 2 months and more is the fault of those governments that thought it was going to go away when even now there are a few that have not yet "turned the corner" and attempted to politicise the whole thing to distract from their own failings in dealing with the pandemic.

All I can say is I am glad I am here and not in the USA or UK at the moment. And by the way we still wear masks to go shopping (or we don't get into the mall) and when we use public transport - if we don't, we walk. And if there is a flare up, no matter how small they test every bugger and then track it to the source. (I have friends in Qingdao that told me how long they had to queue) THAT's why numbers are so much lower here.

The only time I see a post by  LB15 is when he’s quoted. He’s a mean, miserable, caustic cunt, and I mean no offense to cunts. The Ignore button is a wonderful feature here.

2 minutes ago, sunseeker said:

The only time I see a post by  LB15 is when he’s quoted. He’s a mean, miserable, caustic cunt, and I mean no offense to cunts. The Ignore button is a wonderful feature here.

Good advice I think. Thanks sunseeker

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

He’s pure entertainment and knowledge wrapped up in a loving cunt!

I have had him on ignore for a while, just decided he wasn't entertaining enough any more, and some of his casual use of racist language crossed a line for me one time too often.

22 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

No worries mate we understand. You have to sprout this shit to toe the party line. Must be a pain in the arse being under surveillance 24 hours a day. If anyone asked I will tell them you complied with the sate issued defence. We don't want you to wind up in the basement of you local party HQ with your nuts wired to a car battery. In case it missed you I was in fact winding you up, (with no small success I might add).

Anyway I will be here all week. Try the bat and don't forget to tip your waitress.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

No worries mate we understand. You have to sprout this shit to toe the party line. Must be a pain in the arse being under surveillance 24 hours a day. If anyone asked I will tell them you complied with the sate issued defence. We don't want you to wind up in the basement of you local party HQ with your nuts wired to a car battery. In case it missed you I was in fact winding you up, (with no small success I might add).

Anyway I will be here all week. Try the bat and don't forget to tip your waitress.

Quoting for the masses so they don't miss out

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

How can you say such things. China is a free country that loves the idea of people questioning its values. Openness is cherished and they have no problem with foreigners beating them. Especially in their own country.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Dark Cloud said:

Quoting for the masses so they don't miss out

I would call him a c*** but they are sometimes useful. There are actually just as many CCTV cameras in Birmingham as anywhere here. Funny how, when people are called out for being offensive they generally claim they were joking. Well news for the dork, racism is never humorous. 

Gissie is right in a way, it was because so many people were questioning the corruption within government that Xi Jing Ping started the 'tigers & flies' anti corruption drive. As he said that if they didn't stamp it out there would be no party in 20 years. And i don't mind 24 hour surveillance, I do nothing wrong so nothing to fear and if someone accuses me of something and a camera picks me up 200 miles away at the same time then great, I'm cleared.  

Hmmm, weren’t the Chinese preventing the black skinned people from eating at restaurants in China a few months back? Something about skin color and different cultural values that would lead to a resurgence in Covid?

And for all the cameras in Britain, people don’t go missing after being caught on camera and arrested by the authorities. You may be ok with year round surveillance, but then, you are not a criminal and those that disappear around you must be, like the minority ethnics that used to make the items I used to buy from China.

Free countries are a tough crowd here, Shanghai...so sorry, I won’t be sailing in China anytime soon.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

I would call him a c*** but they are sometimes useful. There are actually just as many CCTV cameras in Birmingham as anywhere here. Funny how, when people are called out for being offensive they generally claim they were joking. Well news for the dork, racism is never humorous. 

Gissie is right in a way, it was because so many people were questioning the corruption within government that Xi Jing Ping started the 'tigers & flies' anti corruption drive. As he said that if they didn't stamp it out there would be no party in 20 years. And i don't mind 24 hour surveillance, I do nothing wrong so nothing to fear and if someone accuses me of something and a camera picks me up 200 miles away at the same time then great, I'm cleared.  

China is a country not a race, old boy. But hey if you enjoy living there then knock yourself out. Apart from Hong Kong the place is a shithole and they are doing their best to fuck that as well. Your dear leaders are currently attacking trade between China and Australia, simply because the Australian Prime Minister called for a investigation into the source of the virus- without even mentioning China. A showdown with the free world is coming petal. Pity you will only have a crappy Chinese made bed to hide under when it happens.

• Like 1

Putting a Chinaman in charge of sailing is like putting an Arab in charge of downhill ski racing. If WS wasn’t fucked before - it is now. You only have to look at the caliber of arse clowns that they appoint as IJ’s to see how broken the sport is. 

• Like 1
On 11/2/2020 at 2:44 PM, bloodshot said:

mexican drops are kiwi drops.  We just call them here because apparently when the AC was in San Diego, the boats would be turning towards Mexico during the move

Isn't it a Mexican with an assym and a Kiwi with a gennacker? Or am I just making this up?

31 minutes ago, 10thTonner said:

Isn't it a Mexican with an assym and a Kiwi with a gennacker? Or am I just making this up?

I've always thought it was same move/different terminology, but I'm often wrong

On 11/3/2020 at 7:44 AM, shanghaisailor said:

And by the way we still wear masks to go shopping cross a street one second after the traffic light goes red (or we don't get into the mall filmed and thrown into a concentration camp) and when we use public transport - if we don't, we walk will take the cattle transport coach to the camp. And if there is a flare up opposition, no matter how small they test beat the living shit out of every bugger untermensch and then track it to the source his whole family. (I have friends in Qingdao that told me how long they had to queue were tortured) THAT's why numbers are so much lower here. Oh, and sometimes it's because we just make up these numbers. I mean hey - that scientific neutrality bullshit is just another western pretence anyway, right?

Dome some minor fixes for you - you're  welcome! 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Xi started the anti corruption shit fight as a way to remove all his competition. Easy to do as it is possible to get ahead without accepting tea money at the bare minimum. Unfortunately for him, it was such a good PR job that the general public thought he was serious, so that it was difficult to wind down once his opponents had disappeared. 

The first new year was a miserable time for government officials and high end restaurants. Many of the restaurants even closed down as business was so bad. It was normal to wine and dine those with power. It also made customs a complete nightmare. No one knew the rules,apart from the CD case full of cash in return for completed forms was not allowed. A total clusterfuck. 

As for the party in 20 years, Xi wants it to celebrate world domination. Same long way s just a part of that. A vain attempt to try and show China is a great and nice bunch of country nets to deal with. The two faces they have. As it was told to me by an elder Chinese man many years ago. Be careful, we will smile to your face and stab you in the heart. Xi is this attitude personified. 

Rant off. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

so many people were questioning the corruption within government that Xi Jing Ping started the 'tigers & flies' anti corruption drive. As he said that if they didn't stamp it out there would be no party in 20 years. And i don't mind 24 hour surveillance

If you’re referring to the corrupt Chinese Communist Party that rules China presently, then I wish they would be stamped out in 20 years from the inside. 

Kind of what the people have been wishing since way before Tienemin Square.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

If you’re referring to the corrupt Chinese Communist Party that rules China presently, then I wish they would be stamped out in 20 years from the inside. 

Kind of what the people have been wishing since way before Tienemin Square.

So that would be corrupt as in Trumpian politics would it, pardoning your mates? with 20,000 lies, untruths or exaggerations in his presidency? Not even close to where it was when Xi Jing Ping came to power and introduced the 'tigers & flies' campaign.

Of course there is no corruption in the USA, you call it lobbying. A USD5Bn a year industry. Are you trying to tell me those big corporates and organisation don't expect a pound of flesh for their investment? Who are you trying to kid. 

And the anti-corruption is working. I lost my passport and the UK gov took so long to issue a replacement i was outside the window allowed in China so I had to 'visit' the Police Station for my punishment. The first document put in front of me that the officers had neither asked for nor received any cash or other inducement to influence their decision. We all ended up laughing and I was told of course it wasn't my fault but please don't do it again 

Keep it coming though, I do love it when someone who knows 50% of fuck all about something spouts rubbish from a base of zero knowledge other than social media. So you know what people here are wishing for?

I have lived here for 20 years now and over time I have seen more smiles on people, health levels and longevity have increased, more millionaires than the whole of Europe and according to Forbes more billionaires than the USA. And they know how to deal with a virus.

Sure it has its problems but at least it doesn't have a president that in the last 24 hours has tried to disenfranchise millions of voters in what is supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world (what a joke) and the sad fact is close to half of the Americans like him enough to vote for him - sheesh. Sort out your own problems before criticising others.

And what happened in Beijing 30 odd years ago? Well you better do a Pontius Pilate job because the USA is far from squeaky clean when it comes using force on protestors OR people of colour. I wouldn't mind wagering that there have been far more people killed by authorities in the US than that night in Beijing.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Gissie said:

Xi started the anti corruption shit fight as a way to remove all his competition. Easy to do as it is possible to get ahead without accepting tea money at the bare minimum. Unfortunately for him, it was such a good PR job that the general public thought he was serious, so that it was difficult to wind down once his opponents had disappeared. 

The first new year was a miserable time for government officials and high end restaurants. Many of the restaurants even closed down as business was so bad. It was normal to wine and dine those with power. It also made customs a complete nightmare. No one knew the rules,apart from the CD case full of cash in return for completed forms was not allowed. A total clusterfuck. 

As for the party in 20 years, Xi wants it to celebrate world domination. Same long way s just a part of that. A vain attempt to try and show China is a great and nice bunch of country nets to deal with. The two faces they have. As it was told to me by an elder Chinese man many years ago. Be careful, we will smile to your face and stab you in the heart. Xi is this attitude personified. 

Rant off. 

It's funny, those outside China seem far more upset with how things are in China than those who actually live here -you know, the Chinese.  

22 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Hmmm, weren’t the Chinese preventing the black skinned people from eating at restaurants in China a few months back? Something about skin color and different cultural values that would lead to a resurgence in Covid?

And for all the cameras in Britain, people don’t go missing after being caught on camera and arrested by the authorities. You may be ok with year round surveillance, but then, you are not a criminal and those that disappear around you must be, like the minority ethnics that used to make the items I used to buy from China.

Free countries are a tough crowd here, Shanghai...so sorry, I won’t be sailing in China anytime soon.

You gotta love how the media changes 'facts' to suit their story. A group of black people were put into forced quarantine because among other things, one of them bit a nurse trying to test him for COVID-19 (+ve) and they refused to go along with the measures the Chinese alongside them were. 

You will be spouting about the HK extradition law next.

No need to apologise for not coming sailing here, I'm sure you wont be missed.

I'm only telling it how it is here because unlike here I AM here.

32 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

It's funny, those outside China seem far more upset with how things are in China than those who actually live here -you know, the Chinese.  

So why are so many of the cunts infecting every Western city or state in the world ?

You know the end game - world domination by a communist regime - and if you are happy with that you can get fucked.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

Its amazing what state control of the media, internet and just general censorship can achieve.

That's not to say that we don't have huge problems on our side of the world, but you're being naive or disingenuous with some of your replies on here.

• Like 1

Holy fuck, such vitriol just because I didn't crawl away from some ill-informed comments - 

disingenuous = pretending to know less about something - I don't think so!

1 hour ago, Dark Cloud said:

So why are so many of the cunts infecting every Western city or state in the world ?

You know the end game - world domination by a communist regime - and if you are happy with that you can get fucked.

don't get your meaning? 

Ta Ta

2 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:
9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

So that would be corrupt as in Trumpian politics would it, pardoning your mates? 

I’m not politically motivated on SA, but you were the one who mentioned our leader and a wall in a disparaging manner In post #20, while shitfighting among the Ozzies, which caught me as a surprise coming from a person who lives in a repressive society.

But that’s ok for you, as we may have a new President this week- it’s a Democratic country and you will be stuck with Xi until all the Uhiguers are exterminated through forced labor and organ removal. But that won’t bother you, since you, unlike them, don’t do anything wrong and therefore, have nothing to fear from your government leaders. <_<

I wouldn't mind wagering that there have been far more people killed by authorities in the US than that night in Beijing.

Maybe, but we didn’t murder Democracy in front of the whole world. 

You say the PRC released info to the outside world in March, 2020-months after the government knew about the virus. I caught it in February from a very sick woman on a plane to Florida in late January and suffered through it-almost hospitalized. She probably died...

Why do you have to be China’s apologist? You are a Brit or Scot, aren’t you? Or did you renounce your citizenship to become a Chinese citizen?

Next time, leave American politics out of your quest to honor China, you write interesting articles but you’re opinions on this thread have waken my sleeping dragon.

P.S. Im the only guy posting who has a Chinese built boat, it’s very well built and I like it. The Chinese people made a high quality product.

• Like 1

You gotta love how the media changes 'facts' to suit their story. A group of black people were put into forced quarantine because among other things, one of them bit a nurse trying to test him for COVID-19 (+ve) and they refused to go along with the measures the Chinese alongside them were. 

How may black people were put into forced quarantine?

How many were refusing to follow guidelines?

If the guidelines were common to ethnic Chinese and black people why were black people being specifically banned from mcdonalds, rather than banning anyone not following guidelines?

Yes media brings out the facts they consider relevant, but what you are suggesting here doesn't tie up, maybe with more data it could make sense?

• Like 1

He's unfortunately bound to only speak favorably re the PRC and CCP affairs. If he was at liberty to give the whole transparent news - you'd think he would be shouting about covid between January-February, but he didn't, only crickets. He can't show any sign of recognizing fault or even 反思 because that implies something wrong was done. 

Because unfortunately, as the cases of Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig demonstrate - the PRC isn't above detaining even Canadians indefinitely for a geopolitical purpose.

...and most Americans are wearing facemasks everywhere they go, I put my balaclava on when I leave my boat and take it off when I get home for the night. You can’t got into any stores without one.

In that regard, we are similar to China.

Now Miffy, if you speak unfavorably (truth) in China, it may just cost you $27 billion in net worth like Jack Ma. He told Chinese banking officials what they needed to hear and they are now crushing him. That ain’t America, Jack. You can’t shoot your mouth off like President Trump...or any of us ignorant Americans. 

They suggested the 56-year-old soften his remarks as some of China's most senior financial regulators were due to attend, but he refused to budge, believing he should be able to say what he wanted, the sources said.

"Jack is Jack. He just wanted to speak his mind," said one of the people.

It was a costly miscalculation.

I totally understand why someone in the PRC can't speak freely - I have plenty of mainland business former associates who don't except in trusted company abroad. OTOH I really don't understand why some go out of their way online to push pro-CCP bullshit like they're relying on party connections to make a living. And it includes prior misinformation re the complex crosstrait issues between China and Taiwan. I'd understand the one-sided ahistorical POV if someone was educated purely in the PRC and never learned the complex circumstances of the chinese civil war, the KMT & CCP or the local Taiwanese pre-1949 experience - but why spread the singular bullshit view when you're not even Chinese?

In the past 7 months we've seen the whole wolf warrior diplomacy nonsense from guys in suits thinking they're waging ww3. Taiwanese aid become politicized, CCP misinformation campaign re Taiwanese success & sometimes even hoping covid19 protocols fail in Taiwan so people would die. Maybe... and this is a simple ask - just not be so active in hurting people trying to live their normal lives and normalize bad behavior eh?

As we are also learning re the F1 announcement that there will be a GP in Saudi Arabia next year - chopping up a journalist in an embassy and smuggling the body parts out via diplomatic pouch suitcases just doesn't seem to matter to some who measure everything of value by $. So chop chop world sailing. 

The technical name for these people is "Tankies".   For whatever reason, (and they vary), they've adopted the party line. I've met SS and he doesn't fully fit the bill. 

Most "Chinese" don't understand or know the history, or have a very skewed view of it, so it's not very surprising that the rest of the world doesn't either.  

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Come on... Is that the case for the Chinese who do not live in the façade part of the country? Because I have a friend who owns (several) textile factories in China and he explained to me how  "human resources" works there...

7 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

So that would be corrupt as in Trumpian politics would it, pardoning your mates? with 20,000 lies, untruths or exaggerations in his presidency? Not even close to where it was when Xi Jing Ping came to power and introduced the 'tigers & flies' campaign.

Of course there is no corruption in the USA, you call it lobbying. A USD5Bn a year industry. Are you trying to tell me those big corporates and organisation don't expect a pound of flesh for their investment? Who are you trying to kid. 

And the anti-corruption is working. I lost my passport and the UK gov took so long to issue a replacement i was outside the window allowed in China so I had to 'visit' the Police Station for my punishment. The first document put in front of me that the officers had neither asked for nor received any cash or other inducement to influence their decision. We all ended up laughing and I was told of course it wasn't my fault but please don't do it again 

Keep it coming though, I do love it when someone who knows 50% of fuck all about something spouts rubbish from a base of zero knowledge other than social media. So you know what people here are wishing for?

I have lived here for 20 years now and over time I have seen more smiles on people, health levels and longevity have increased, more millionaires than the whole of Europe and according to Forbes more billionaires than the USA. And they know how to deal with a virus.

Sure it has its problems but at least it doesn't have a president that in the last 24 hours has tried to disenfranchise millions of voters in what is supposed to be the greatest democracy in the world (what a joke) and the sad fact is close to half of the Americans like him enough to vote for him - sheesh. Sort out your own problems before criticising others.

And what happened in Beijing 30 odd years ago? Well you better do a Pontius Pilate job because the USA is far from squeaky clean when it comes using force on protestors OR people of colour. I wouldn't mind wagering that there have been far more people killed by authorities in the US than that night in Beijing.

Wow, what a bitter little cunt China has turned you into. Trump has nothing to do with me, but his behaviour is like a child's tantrum compared to Xi who is happy to try and rival Attila.

Trump tried to disenfranchise some voters, Xi interns millions. But that is fine, they are only Muslim. He is quietly bankrupting countries with crap contracts so they forfeit the infrastructure they built. He is a fucking megalomaniac and you bow down to him. Asshole.

As for the average Chinese person,, I first lived in China more than 20 years ago. Not in a big city like shanghai, but rural. First white person most had ever seen. So I have seen the changes, but most were done before this cunt Xi arrived on the scene. He is dragging the country, fighting and kicking back to the old days of terror and suppression. He wants China to rule the world and sees himself as an Emperor.

As for more people being killed by the authorities in the US than China, hahahaha. Man you have sucked on the cool aid teat for so long your brain is mush.

• Like 7

In that case my apologies, I have been making the assumption that you were a foreigner that had moved to China, not a local. Very crass of me.

But then, it's really fucking hard to disenfranchise voters in a country that doesn't have any, isn't it?  How the fuck are you criticizing Trump for disenfranchising voters and sticking up for a dictatorship at the same time?  How many people voted for Xi, hm?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Gissie said:

Wow, what a bitter little cunt China has turned you into. Trump has nothing to do with me, but his behaviour is like a child's tantrum compared to Xi who is happy to try and rival Attila.

Trump tried to disenfranchise some voters, Xi interns millions. But that is fine, they are only Muslim. He is quietly bankrupting countries with crap contracts so they forfeit the infrastructure they built. He is a fucking megalomaniac and you bow down to him. Asshole.

As for the average Chinese person,, I first lived in China more than 20 years ago. Not in a big city like shanghai, but rural. First white person most had ever seen. So I have seen the changes, but most were done before this cunt Xi arrived on the scene. He is dragging the country, fighting and kicking back to the old days of terror and suppression. He wants China to rule the world and sees himself as an Emperor.

As for more people being killed by the authorities in the US than China, hahahaha. Man you have sucked on the cool aid teat for so long your brain is mush.

What I really struggle is somehow some people hold the viewpoint that "if you don't appreciate Xi and China" you must not know it. 

I'm a fluent mandarin speaker - I lived in the other China, the Republic of China while working in the bicycle industry - I visited the mainland during the "happy times" but politely turned down the offer to work there long term because of reasons.

Some people buy totally into the bullshit that to be effective gov you have to be cruel and indifferent and purge minorities- it is particularly sad when the person isn't even Chinese. And FWIW, I'd rather work and do business in Vietnam because at least there, people seem to have the capacity to not buy into the generational bullshit of "humiliation" that somehow means one gets to behave like a crude bully wolf warrior diplomat around the world.  

I don't have any grand ideological illusions re the world of hurt the United States, UK or others have done to the world - whether by war, imperialism, economic policies. But at least I'm not hiding the present dirt by throwing rocks at the others while living in an enclave as a valued foreigner. 

Shame for the innocent Canadians who get nabbed and put in detention for "reasons"

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Holy fuck, such vitriol just because I didn't crawl away from some ill-informed comments - 

disingenuous = pretending to know less about something - I don't think so!

Yes it means you aren't being fully honest. But that's hardly vitriol, which means 'bitter criticism or malice'.

You live in a country in which the media, internet, and pretty much everything else you see is censored unless you're attempting to deny that, then you must see that you only get to hear the favourable version of any story relating to the CCP.

18 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

And as for the big wall Trump tried to build, he failed, yet the Great Wall of China was built as a tourist attraction?

Egads this thread went South quickly!!

Er - I think the Great Wall of China pre-dated the communist party by a few centuries but the so called "Great Firewall of China is a pain in the butt." but the stone one is indeed a frigging busy tourist attraction. :-)

It was supposed to be a thread on the new WS President who does indeed have a challenge to change things in WS.

It started to "go south" with Sail4 Beer's post 4 where he said "Incompetence, greed and National pride working in unison to promote sailing in China..." Most sailors here and most regattas here compete 100% as per the rules, just like everywhere else. I think that's why the clusterfuck that was on the front page was clearly such a surprise and disappointment for SaillingIN. I have spoken to a couple of guys on the crew and I have known both for many years and have absolutely no reason to doubt anything they say.

I admit China is not perfect - where is?  but when people write inaccuracies am i supposed to suck it up and not respond? Someone on Facebook called me out that I was wrong to believe that Qingdao tested millions in 5 days when I had an actual conversation with a friend who actually stood in a queue to be tested. 

If i upset anyone, i apologise but, of course, when i see inaccuracies i respond

• Like 1

I’m not a hater, but I do stand by my first post word for word, so maybe you SHOULD suck it up when the haters pile on a thread in Sailing Anarchy.

I don’t have a reputation in the sailing community like you...;)

13 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

The party will be very pleased with your performance. 'But what about' is a fine way of deflecting away from reality. Good work comrade.

13 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha That would have to be one of the stupidest thing ever posted on the forum. And that is a very low bar.

If Trump controlled the entire media, banned external social media, monitored your every word and action and arrested anyone who spoke against the state (and their families) then most Americans have would appear happy with their lot as well. When asked anyway...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Elegua said:

Most "Chinese" don't understand or know the history, or have a very skewed view of it, so it's not very surprising that the rest of the world doesn't either.  

Including Shanhighed sailor. Since he is allowed to access SA he clearly is a 'favored person'. If an regular citizen was caught looking at a forum like this they would be disappeared and hung by their nipples with bulldog clips until they were 're-educated'. Have a read of this to get an insight into just what nasty cunts they truly are.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-21/matthew-carney-foreign-journalist-china-intimidation-birtles/12678610

10 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Including Shanhighed sailor. Since he is allowed to access SA he clearly is a 'favored person'. If an regular citizen was caught looking at a forum like this they would be disappeared and hung by their nipples with bulldog clips until they were 're-educated'. Have a read of this to get an insight into just what nasty cunts they truly are.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-21/matthew-carney-foreign-journalist-china-intimidation-birtles/12678610

I was never denied access to SA. 

10 hours ago, Glenn McCarthy said:

Will Quanhai Li help sailing? Will he clean up the corruption at World Sailing? Can he straighten out the financial mess left for him?

Pretty much nothing else has changed at World Sailing, same office, same volunteers.

He will do nothing that doesn't help China. That is what he was put there to do. 

23 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaha That would have to be one of the stupidest thing ever posted on the forum. And that is a very low bar.

If Trump controlled the entire media, banned external social media, monitored your every word and action and arrested anyone who spoke against the state (and their families) then most Americans have would appear happy with their lot as well. When asked anyway...

The sad truth is we don’t even need to bring up events in Chinese history that are censored. 

I can just do this - Trump is a fat lazy fuck and I’m so tired of the GOP ruling party because of all the bad things they’ve done to the world and I’m so glad he’s on his way out. 

Now i invite someone in the PRC to repeat the same only with the PRC’s leadership. Go ahead. I won’t be holding my breathe. 

• Like 2
On 11/3/2020 at 6:10 PM, sunseeker said:

Thank god you have me on ignore. I can talk freely about your sister. Damn if she doesn’t go off like a Chinese New Year!