Any info on Class40s with scow bow?

They’re doing very well. Pogo will shortly launch their new Pogo S4 designed by Verdier and there’s a Lift 40 V2 arriving soon following their very successful V1 that won the route de rhum

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, ctutmark said:

Here is the hull plug for the Pogo 40S4, taken from the PogoStructures FB page. This is a G. Verdier designImage may contain: outdoor

What’s amazing with progression of hull and deck design, you can almost flip the hull and deck and it’ll still kinda work lol

• Like 2

For the most recent indication of how they are doing: the newest generation boats were 1, 2, 3 in the Normandy Channel Race.  Mach 4, Raison, Mach 4.  Our 3 has a hint of this trend (compared to the Mach 2, for example), but the Mach 4s are really a big step.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, furler49 said:

Sounds like two new Class40s are being built to a VPLP design... That'll make what, 6 moulds available for new build boats..? 

Pogo

Mach

Lombard 

Raison 

VPLP

Guillaume Dupont and Etienne Bertrand 

Any renderings/drawings of the VPLP boat? 

• 2 weeks later...

NEWSLETTER 2020-12

class40 1Multiplast launches into the Class40

Multiplast started building the mold for its very first Class40 on December 1 , which will be launched next July. Fruit of a collaboration with the VPLP cabinet , this 40 footer ordered by the Italian Andrea Fornaro (see below) will be followed by a second copy in mid-August for Nicolas d'Estais (see below), or even a 'a third for the Transat Jacques Vabre. Yann Penfornis, general manager of the Vannes shipyard, explains this strategic turning point .

Was it a desire on your part to set foot in the Class40?

Yes, this is a strategic decision for us, which we have been thinking about for a year and a half. For several reasons: first, because they are technically interesting boats ; secondly, because the Class40 is clearly growing, with races that range from inshore to offshore - including, now, round the world - and affect both the enlightened enthusiast and the skipper professional; and finally because we imagine, in a context of a slowdown in the global economy, that the sponsors will undoubtedly be interested in the coming months in more reasonable projects . What also pleases us is to collaborate with VPLP : we have had habits together for a long time and an immediate neighborhood which makes things very simple.

Is it a bet on the future?

Yes, it's an economic bet , because we decided to break the logic of making the first client pay for the molds , which is that of the Ultimes and Imoca projects: these teams pay each other molds to make boats, with the possibility of behind to partially amortize them by renting them to other teams. In Class40, as budgets are smaller, we said to ourselves that it was up to the site to take the risk of investing in the mold, by focusing on building several boats behind. It is extremely rare for us to take this risk. The last time was for the Formula 40 Jet 40 in ... 1986! And there had been no second boat built, which had somewhat cooled Gilles Ollier (founder of Multiplast). There, we decided with Dominique Dubois that it was the right moment to do it . And for now, this bet proves us right, since we have obtained an agreement in principle for a second boat for Nicolas d'Estais (see below). The first will be delivered in mid-July, the second in mid-August, and we are able to launch a third boat on time for the Transat Jacques Vabre. The goal is to find a third customer.

Is this also a technical challenge for you?

Yes, because it is our first Class40, so we want to give ourselves the means to build a very good boat. The complexity of this project is to make a light infusion boat , which requires going very far in the treatment of details. The other interesting thing is that the client teams do not have the same dimension as those we can have to do with Ultimes or Imoca. Here, we will deliver the boat turnkey , whereas usually, the fittings, painting or rigging are handled directly by the teams. And I have to say that it's quite pleasant to manage the whole project, which we didn't do in recent years on racing boats.

CLASS40

Andrea Fornaro and Nicolas d'Estais, first served!

The Class40 has the wind in its sails! Since the launch in August 2019 of Crédit Mutuel , the first 40-foot post-Route du Rhum in the shape of a scow, announcements of new boat construction have followed one after another . Some have already been launched, for Olivier Magré and Antoine Carpentier, others will come out of the site in the weeks and months to come, for Axel Tréhin, Aurélien Ducroz, Jonas Gerckens, Jean Galfione, Jörg Riechers… And this is not over, as demand seems strong two years before the Route du Rhum 2022 .

This dynamism did not escape the architectural firm VPLP and the Multiplast shipyard, which decided to join forces to in turn enter this market.  The project started the day we saw scows arrive and mark a fairly significant difference in performance, which would inevitably lead to a renewal of the fleet , explains Vincent Lauriot-Prévost , co - founder of VPLP. It had been a while since we wanted to enter this class, it was the opportunity to go , especially as Multiplast agreed to play the game and build several copies. A meeting with a skipper finally convinced us . "

In this case with the Italian Andrea Fornaro , who, after two participations in the Mini-Transat (16th in series in 2015 and 5th in proto in 2017), wanted to embark on a Class40 on an ambitious project after first familiar with the medium on Tales II , rented to Loïc Féquet.  I was put in touch with VPLP and Multiplast by a friend, I am very happy to work with them. We talked a lot around the boat, my goal is for it to be versatile, I am also very attentive to comfort on board, ease of maneuvering and reliability, but on that I have 100% confidence , I'm sure they will make me a strong boat», Says the Transalpine. Andrea Fornaro is leading this project, with a view to the Transat Jacques Vabre, with a Russian skipper, Igor Goikhberg , (they finished 7th in the Normandy Channel Race in September), before tackling the Route du Rhum the following year. .

class40
© VPLP

The VPLP / Multiplast coupling and the possibility of having a new boat from next summer also convinced another sailor from the Mini class, Nicolas d'Estais , to place an order: “ VPLP and Multiplast is the dream team! enthuses the one who finished second in the 2019 Mini-Transat in the series. I had the opportunity to visit Multiplast, we no longer have the impression of being in an aeronautics yard that also makes racing boats, we feel that there is zero concession on quality, it is very square. As for VPLP, I loved their approach, they took the time to interview sailors, sailing masters, coaches like Tanguy Leglatin, to get their feedback in order to be as fair as possible. We feel that it is really their desire to develop on this circuit. "

What Vincent Lauriot-Prévost confirms: “ We actually conducted our little survey, we redesigned the existing boats by running them through our CFD software to determine the advantages and disadvantages of the various options. This whole preparatory and exploratory period, which took us three months, clearly represented an investment for us , but we had decided to do it. "

What will this first Class40 “made in” VPLP / Multiplast look like?  We did not try to design a very optional boat, but more to bet on versatility , answers the architect. There are a lot of restrictive ribs in the gauge that prevent you from going looking for big frame edges, but we will still benefit from the latest developments, especially in terms of front shapes and on the freeboard line. »Race results next July.

• Like 2

Verdier in interview.....

You also designed the new Pogo40 under construction at the Structures shipyard,   what specifications did you define?
There is no point in doing the same thing as what was done! So  we tried to take a substantial step forward , we really explored the subject, we spent a lot of hours there, it was undoubtedly quite disproportionate for this kind of project, quite modest financially. I hope that it will work !

• 1 month later...
  • Emmanuel Versace

•  
    • Dec 17, 2020
    •  
    • 3 min read

"Let's open the debate" Ian Lipinski talk's SCOW Bows and the Vendée Globe

file.jpg230899_8dee4597ae544d128c1cd8446e31a06f~mv2.webp

When one of the most accomplished Mini6.50 and Class40 sailors gives their opinion on the state of play within IMOCA, well, we listen! Ian Lipinski, speaks to Emmanuel Versace about his views on traditional IMOCAs, the latest generation of foilers and the constraints imposed by IMOCA on the maximum bow volume.

It is safe to say that Ian Lipinski is a fan of a “Scow” designed boat. It is a familiar type of boat to him and one he’s won races and broken records on. According to him, these voluminous bows could also be the solution to (finally?) reducing the exponential cost associated to the research and development of foils whilst also increasing reliability and reducing the risks associated to striking UFOs!

“I’m currently in Thomas Ruyant’s (LinkedOUT) boat yard and I’m so happy with the race he’s racing! He’s about to pass the place in which his race came to an end in 2016. I’m also in admiration of guys like Benjamin Dutreux (OMIA-Water Family) and Damien Seguin (APICIL). I think it's great that they're rookies, racing at the forefront, with older generation boats.

At the front, Yannick Bestaven (Maître CoQ), Thomas and Charlie Dalin (Apivia) remain well grouped. Material damage will remain an important element in major races such as the Vendée Globe. The slightest problem immediately reshuffles the cards! I was seriously impressed with how little time in took Charlie Dalin to repair his broken port foil system. Let’s see if the repair holds but it seemed like a good and incredibly efficient fix!

Let’s open the debate

We can see the limits of these new, large and latest generation foilers in these big solo races. The average speeds have been relatively low, that said I think they’re going as fast as they can! It difficult for them to go any faster. The question is, is it the violence and discomfort of being onboard or the fear of the catastrophic damage that limits the speeds we’re seeing, we won’t have an answer to that question for a while yet.

I am quite convinced that under the conditions currently seen by the Vendée Globe fleet, and even without foils, a “scow” type boat would be hugely competitive. I’m thinking particularly of the boats from David Raison (the designer of Class40 #158 Crédit Mutuel, editor’s note) and Samuel Manuard, the designer of L’Occitane en Provence skippered by Armel Tripon.

file.jpg230899_096214e061cf46f3b63b8477ac7a47ba~mv2.webp

I think we should open the debate on limiting bow volumes within IMOCA. I think it would be interesting to really open up the possibilities – after all it is a Class born out of continual innovation. The conversation could also bring about solutions to reduce costs. It would increase the reliability by reducing the complexity of parts like foils, their manufacturing and design costs. It would also decrease the likelihood of a collision with an ‘UFO’ in our ever more polluted oceans!

600,000 € for a pair of foils

While it is hard to compare Armel’s speed with those leading the front of the fleet, Armel proved earlier in the season that his boat was quick, perhaps even considerably faster than others. He’s very quick at the moment and I think life on board for him probably remains much simpler too. The scow concept is limited to certain constraints, but you can imagine going much further than we have before with the IMOCA60. It’s surely an interesting avenue to explore.

Today we see historic Vendée Globe sponsors such as PRB, who according to what they say, are struggling to finance new projects like they always have. It’s too bad!

It is true that the technological race is hugely exciting but when you see the cost of the foils, and the big teams that replace them once, twice, or even three times before for the start of the Vendée Globe before hitting or breaking them less than one month in, at €600,000 a pair the maths and unsustainability of it becomes pretty clear, pretty quickly.

file.jpg230899_f2bf029b19254f66b200f4e9b9e7bbf9~mv2.webp

Since discovering the ‘scow’, one thing is sure, performance levels increase substantially quicker than the financial ask made to a sponsor. In this Vendée Globe, when we see the boats of Benjamin Dutreux (OMIA - Water Family), Damien Seguin (APICIL) or Jean Le Cam (Yes We Cam!) performing so well, posting big averages and exceeding all expectations let’s imagine what they could have done with a ‘scow’…

Ends

Photo Credit 1: Breschi Live / Credit Mutuel

Photo Credit 2: Armel Tripon Sailing

Photo Credit 3: Eloi Stichelbault

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, huey 2 said:

Louis Duc is upgrading from Class 40 to IMOCA the cheapest way....Doing the work himself.  pic above

scow imoca? where can i see more?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 11:08 AM, huey 2 said:

Verdier    POGOimage.png.ade664a823e4cfb8793e6dee1d84f681.pngimage.png.98915f4e7df8f09d13326779808cb8b9.png

that's sweet, I'll bet that bow solves multiple issues encountered in offshore sailing all at once. gotta' think pointy bows are virtually obsolete in the face of this.

• Like 1

The ruleset attempts to prohibit it based on maximum widths from the tip bow, however designers found a way around much of the limitations by making the hulls less than 40ft and therefore fitting within the word but not the spirit of the rule. The IMOCA rule that created l'Occitane is the improved version of the rule that doesn't allow the shorter hull workaround and results in much less scowy bows.

records-class40-ian-lipinski-1.jpgunnamed.png

• Like 1