ROLLCALL - MIA Anarchists

As we head towards the start of events in AC36, we should make an effort to reach out to those of our fellow Anarchists with whom we sparred and shared the highs and lows of the last 3 AC editions, and to remember those no longer with us that we know about.

I'll kick it off, and hope they see this thread and rejoin the fold.

RIP, Departed but never forgotten: Lady @marion

MIAs, just those who spring to mind - Wherever you are, hope you're safe and healthy. Feel free to add to the list....

@krispy kreme

@MAGUAH_SCARES_PIGEONS

@Moon Dancer

@ncs

@chauch

@Te Kooti

@Hastings

@Rohanoz

@Peelman

@snaerk

@Xsailor

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Cool outreach, Indio. Adding

@dogwatch and TC

Hope they see this and rejoin the banter, debates, arguments...life's too short to stay away or hold grudges. Important thing is we hope they're all safe and healthy in these uncertain and troublesome times.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Indio said:

As we head towards the start of events in AC36, we should make an effort to reach out to those of our fellow Anarchists with whom we sparred and shared the highs and lows of the last 3 AC editions, and to remember those no longer with us that we know about.

MIAs, just those who spring to mind - Wherever you are, hope you're safe and healthy. Feel free to add to the list....

@krispy kreme

@MAGUAH_SCARES_PIGEONS

@Moon Dancer

@ncs

@chauch

@Te Kooti

@Hastings

@Rohanoz

@Peelman

@snaerk

@Xsailor

Jaysper?

Doug Lord is alive and well on boatdesign.net> Nothing has changed. He hasn't "sailed" any of his models since 2015. He has done some more model making and one of his models has a really nice upholstered seat. He still posts the same pictures and every time a filing tri does well in a race, he brings out those pictures and argues against anybody who points out the differences between his lawn ornament and  the real thing.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Indio said:

@krispy kreme

@MAGUAH_SCARES_PIGEONS

@Moon Dancer

@ncs

@chauch

@Te Kooti

@Hastings

@Rohanoz

@Peelman

@snaerk

@Xsailor

Isn't that all one guy?

• Like 1

Thanks for the thought. Some while ago I said I'd likely be back when there's racing to talk about. Obviously, that's taken longer than anyone expected at that time. It remains the case that none of the teams appeal to me, which is a bit of a dampener as far as interest in the preparations goes.

• Like 3

I'm still around. Watching it all as closely as ever.  Loving the dev of the foils and rigs in particular.

Would have lots to contribute, but just can't stand the continual bullshit in the threads from those who wouldn't know their heads from their afts.

Thanks for the thought.

• Like 6
20 hours ago, pusslicker said:

Isn't that all one guy?

inspired, but nah!

See you flushed out @Rohanoz  Sorry to say he's sidelined himself cos he "just can't stand the continual bullshit in the threads from those who wouldn't know their heads from their afts". Too bad that finding ponies  involves shovelling through so much shit!

Too bad too that @Te Kooti and @Hastings have drifted away. I seem to recall they were one and the same.

• Like 1

Was it Te Kooti that gave neat little descriptions of what he was doing and the places he was eating in while in San Francisco? I used to love reading those (assuming it was him).

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Count Drac said:

Was it Te Kooti that gave neat little descriptions of what he was doing and the places he was eating in while in San Francisco? I used to love reading those (assuming it was him).

Yes it was. A very well-travelled erudite Anarchist.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Well look at this!

Life moves so quickly that all of a sudden it's a month, then a year, then a couple more and I realize that without noticing, I miss all my old AC Anarchy friends.

Oh, and it helps that the event is coming up and starting to get onto the radar more and more.

I think for a second..."should I really wade back into that cesspool and mix it up with those mouth-breathers? Maybe I'd be better off just watching the event outside of the forums."

But nah, I've not logged in for literally a few years, but I should go take a look to see what everyone is saying and which team is the current favorite.

And what do I see when I come in? A nice post by @Indio wondering where I (amongst others) have been.

Well I'm sorry I even considered not coming back in here. In a year where we've had ample time to reflect, I've learned that life is a lot about our relationships. Even virtual ones with a bunch of assholes like you. :)

So I'm happy to see a lot of old friends here. @Tornado-Cat: I've introduced 40 people to your Paris restaurant recommendation, and I never miss it when I'm there. @Rennmaus: can you believe we're *actual* friends? :)  @Te Kooti / @Hastings  is the best. As crazy as he drove people here, he was so great to hang out with in SF. @Stingray~ is my OG buddy on here--way back with Dogzilla was being built in Anacortes. And so many more of you.

Life update (not that anyone cares...) We've left SF and the US entirely. I now live in the Middle East, working for Qatar Airways and living in Doha. My oldest child has just flown the nest, and that really sucks.

Okay--I've got some work to do to catch up. In the meantime I'll be lurking and posting where possible and trying to get smart on the latest tea.

Great to see you all again!

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, chauch said:

Well look at this!

(...)

I think for a second..."should I really wade back into that cesspool and mix it up with those mouth-breathers? Maybe I'd be better off just watching the event outside of the forums."

(... sweet insults...)

Yeah, welcome back! RennmausMan and I wondered the other day whether you might come back (and whether @familysailor will return as well).
Great to "see" you here herbst-blaetter-smilie_015.gif

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, chauch said:

Well look at this!

Life moves so quickly that all of a sudden it's a month, then a year, then a couple more and I realize that without noticing, I miss all my old AC Anarchy friends......

Life update (not that anyone cares...) We've left SF and the US entirely. I now live in the Middle East, working for Qatar Airways and living in Doha. My oldest child has just flown the nest, and that really sucks.

Okay--I've got some work to do to catch up. In the meantime I'll be lurking and posting where possible and trying to get smart on the latest tea.

Heyyy Chauchie!! Great to "see" you back:D

image.png.1793ae8594e871fcc258c9698028eeac.png

10 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Yeah, welcome back! RennmausMan and I wondered the other day whether you might come back (and whether @familysailor will return as well).
Great to "see" you here herbst-blaetter-smilie_015.gif

Maus--

I don't understand the link...

I do miss our AmCup interactions.

I am embarrassed by the current President and his minions.  Sigh.

Howzit in the European area? Seems as if Totalitarian, Nazi, mindless asshatizm is on the rise.

I'm disappointed, old and tired of the relentless march toward stupidity--- trumpism.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, familysailor said:

Maus--

I don't understand the link...

I do miss our AmCup interactions.

I am embarrassed by the current President and his minions.  Sigh.

Howzit in the European area? Seems as if Totalitarian, Nazi, mindless asshatizm is on the rise.

I'm disappointed, old and tired of the relentless march toward stupidity--- trumpism.

Hello and welcome back (even if just for a little while).
The link displays a smiley that's jumping up and down out of joy. Sorry that you cannot see it.
It would be great if you can be cheered up, at least you will have a new president in the near future. And a vaccine against C is also just around the corner.
As for Nazis, right-wingers and totalitarians in EU... I'm afraid there's not much positive to tell. They are paralyzing progress, on a state level in the EU (Poland, Hungary) and in the countries (right-wing parties in parliaments disturbing democratic processes). Frightening.

Nevertheless, let's see what the AC brings, at least some entertainment hereabouts.
Take care!

• Like 1

@HotRod

@El Murry

@Swan  heard he hit a shashweight going round deadmans curv

while going to pick up a $4,000 bottle of wine he forgot

form the playboy models house nextdoor before his wife finds out

because his wife is a very jealous guy

@Naut!girl

6 minutes ago, jaysper said:

All present and accounted for.

Been lurking for ages and keeping an eye on developments. 

How's the far north treating you?

Hey, Jays. Welcome back. Hoped you weren't too far away.

Not quite the Far North. You need to be north of the Mangamuka's to be in the REAL, Far North. I'm camped out in Mangawhai Heads, just north of Auckland's border.

So, what do you make of the AC75's? I'm looking forward to some racing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 11:31 AM, Indio said:

@krispy kreme

@MAGUAH_SCARES_PIGEONS

@Moon Dancer

@ncs

@chauch

@Te Kooti

@Hastings

@Rohanoz

@Peelman

@snaerk

@Xsailor

Hi. Extracted myself permanently from the AC since Bermuda. But the new yachts are very cool. 

The AC is not the AC anymore. It is trying to be a media event that goes barley as fast as we drive our family sedans.
I'm sure many of the MIA are pretty disgusted with the whole pile of BS.

For a traditional sail boat is fast but there are types of sailing that do this for pennies on the dollar. I thought it was funny to hear the hosts talk about going 50mph. I do that all the time when I sail my blokart. Other land and Ice boats go much faster.

The AC is a bunch of Sailing Elitists and I think NZ may have gone down the wrong path

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Sounds a bit ‘fruity’? :) 

Hope you’re loving life! 

Yes I am, thanks for asking Stinger. I'm enjoying developing cutting-edge hardware & software that I own and sell as a new valuable service to an important industry, running my own company, living semi-pastoral in the Bay of Plenty (yay - no more Auckland traffic!) and have a lovely local Maori fiancee. We have a land yacht now: goes upwind at 100 km/hr in a squall. ;)

4 minutes ago, ncs said:

Yes I am, thanks for asking Stinger. I'm enjoying developing cutting-edge hardware & software that I own and sell as a new valuable service to an important industry, running my own company, living semi-pastoral in the Bay of Plenty (yay - no more Auckland traffic!) and have a lovely local Maori fiancee. We have a land yacht now: goes upwind at 100 km/hr in a squall. ;)

Awesome - Good moves! 

11 minutes ago, ncs said:

Pretty cool stuff, I want a job scanning...

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/innovative-america-s-cup-technology-helps-kiwifruit-industry-picker-shortage

15 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

This fruity venture originated from a sailvision system I developed at the request of Tom Schnack starting way back in 2000. I am not making this up. Hardware is so much faster now and the convolution neural networks & filters I was futzing around with in Valencia are about five magnitudes faster with 4500 CUDA cores on my triple water-cooled RTX 2080 GPU rig. ;)

1 minute ago, ncs said:

This fruity venture originated from a sailvision system I developed at the request of Tom Schnack starting way back in 2000. I am not making this up. Hardware is so much faster now and the convolution neural networks & filters I was futzing around with in Valencia are about five magnitudes faster with 4500 CUDA cores on my triple water-cooled RTX 2080 GPU rig. ;)

And I have to make do with a single 1080 GPU to do my yacht design renders... Just think of all the bit mining that you could do with your rig! Will stay in touch about the fruit scanning venture. 

BTW, I think my Flying Dutchman fleet at the US Navy Sailing Club in San Diego got the results of a very young Schnack's first gradated set of computer designed sail with North Sails. Lowell North was just switching to the FD class and when he realized we had a 5 boat fleet at the NSC he came down and made our fleet captain an offer we couldn't refuse. He said that he had a young computer whiz kid (Tom) who wanted to do the five sets for light to heavy winds. Fleet captain ended up using the #3 main and the #2 genoa and I raced with the #2 main and the #3 genoa. 

9 minutes ago, ncs said:

4500 CUDA cores on my triple water-cooled RTX 2080 GPU rig. ;)

Are you serious? Geez! 

What applications can you think of, for the latest LIDAR-enabled phones? Boggles my mind, the possibilities seem endless. 

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

And I have to make do with a single 1080 GPU to do my yacht design renders... Just think of all the bit mining that you could do with your rig! Will stay in touch about the fruit scanning venture. 

BTW, I think my Flying Dutchman fleet at the US Navy Sailing Club in San Diego got the results of a very young Schnack's first gradated set of computer designed sail with North Sails. Lowell North was just switching to the FD class and when he realized we had a 5 boat fleet at the NSC he came down and made our fleet captain an offer we couldn't refuse. He said that he had a young computer whiz kid (Tom) who wanted to do the five sets for light to heavy winds. Fleet captain ended up using the #3 main and the #2 genoa and I raced with the #2 main and the #3 genoa. 

Small world - and getting smaller :)

9 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Are you serious? Geez! 

What applications can you think of, for the latest LIDAR-enabled phones? Boggles my mind, the possibilities seem endless. 

Oh crap Stinger, I got my maths wrong. 

My custom, 7 x water-cooled RTX 2080 Ti  AI training rig has 7 x 4,352 = 30,464 cores and 77 GB of GPU RAM. 

;)

20191001_202342.jpg

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

... he had a young computer whiz kid (Tom) who wanted to do the five sets for light to heavy winds. Fleet captain ended up using the #3 main and the #2 genoa and I raced with the #2 main and the #3 genoa. 

So who won?  :)

Tom shared his code with me and I briefly worked on an improved Win32 GUI for it. His VPP concept gets a A but in my 35 year career as a pro coder I'd rate the implementation a solid C-. 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Holy crap! For measuring fruit crop densities?? 

C’mon, is that real? 

Yup that's real alright - one of my AI model training rigs. Draws over 2kw. I use a triple RTX 2080 ti rig for my software development and running the AI models. 

31 minutes ago, ncs said:

So, a bit faster than a MacBook Pro then? ;-)

9 minutes ago, ncs said:

My custom, 7 x water-cooled RTX 2080 Ti  AI training rig has 7 x 4,352 = 30,464 cores and 77 GB of GPU RAM. 

;)

20191001_202342.jpg

Now there’s a blend of new and ....something. You must have been to Bunnings Aerospace and Computer Supplies ? 

3 minutes ago, ncs said:

Yup that's real alright - one of my AI model training rigs. Draws over 2kw. I use a triple RTX 2080 ti rig for my software development and running the AI models. 

Damn- Very f’ing impressive! Looks like a Brain out of some futuristic sci-fi movie, or old-time horror movie :D 

‘AI’ can mean a lot of things, care to elaborate? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, amc said:

Now there’s a blend of new and ....something. You must have been to Bunnings Aerospace and Computer Supplies ? 

Nailed it - bought most of the gear from PBTech and Bunnings in Glenfield. Used a mining rig power supply from Aliexpress though. 

1 minute ago, ncs said:

Nailed it - bought most of the gear from PBTech and Bunnings in Glenfield. Used a mining rig power supply from Aliexpress though. 

I can see exactly where you nailed it. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Damn- Very f’ing impressive! Looks like a Brain out of some futuristic sci-fi movie, or old-time horror movie :D 

‘AI’ can mean a lot of things, care to elaborate? 

Yeah by 'AI' I mean a 100+ layer convolution neural network we've trained to detect kiwifruit features. IMO it's not really 'artificial intelligence'; it's a dumb, single-purpose universal function approximator. At ETNZ in 2007 I had a database with ~500k sail images. Now in 2020 I've got ~25 million kiwifruit images which grow by several hundred thousand on a good day of commercial scanning. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ncs said:

;)

20191001_202342.jpg

Is there any possible way you can please put a floating brain in that jar of green liquid. That would be awesome.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, ncs said:

;)

20191001_202342.jpg

Awww c'mon! You're bullshitting us! Thats a flux capacitor, right???

Incidentally, how does this stack up (value for money wise) again AWS or Azure?

On 12/18/2020 at 2:48 PM, jaysper said:

Awww c'mon! You're bullshitting us! Thats a flux capacitor, right???

Incidentally, how does this stack up (value for money wise) again AWS or Azure?

Read this article. At full utilisation AWS can be 10x more expensive than DIY.

My deep neural network inference speed got a 15x speed boost when I got off the cloud too. 

40 minutes ago, ncs said:

Read this article. At full utilisation AWS can be 10x more expensive than DIY.

My deep neural network inference speed got a 15x speed boost when I got off the cloud too. 

Interesting. Thanks for sharing this.

Was interested in how Nvidia contractually prevent cloud providers using their cheaper chips.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:24 PM, Snaggletooth said:

Dointe you be tauntteng my Nautigirlle...............                        :)

Whooooo

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Who are you? ;)

He is someone who has supposedly been here since 2013, with no posts before 2017 and just appears with an attitude.

I smell fish, socky fish.

• Like 1
On 12/1/2020 at 3:13 PM, chauch said:

Well look at this!

Life moves so quickly that all of a sudden it's a month, then a year, then a couple more and I realize that without noticing, I miss all my old AC Anarchy friends.

Oh, and it helps that the event is coming up and starting to get onto the radar more and more.

But nah, I've not logged in for literally a few years, but I should go take a look to see what everyone is saying and which team is the current favorite.

And what do I see when I come in? A nice post by @Indio wondering where I (amongst others) have been.

Well I'm sorry I even considered not coming back in here. In a year where we've had ample time to reflect, I've learned that life is a lot about our relationships. Even virtual ones with a bunch of assholes like you. :)

So I'm happy to see a lot of old friends here. @Tornado-Cat: I've introduced 40 people to your Paris restaurant recommendation, and I never miss it when I'm there. @Rennmaus: can you believe we're *actual* friends? :) @Te Kooti / @Hastings  is the best. As crazy as he drove people here, he was so great to hang out with in SF. @Stingray~ is my OG buddy on here--way back with Dogzilla was being built in Anacortes. And so many more of you.

I Chauch, good to see you here ! Glad you recommended my favouriste restaurant in Paris and that some could enjoy it. I would like @Te Kooti also, I was happy to meet him in SF.

Nice of you to say so. Yes I'm lurking. To be honest since BA decided to suck at Jim Ratcliffe's teat and GD has followed RC down the route of the squashing any of the controversy that actually makes the build up to the AC appealing, my interest has been much reduced. Nor do I find much to like about either LR or AM. Consequently, I've not  had much to say. But I am looking forward to the Prada Cup.

• Like 3
On 12/27/2020 at 7:02 AM, dogwatch said:

Nice of you to say so. Yes I'm lurking. To be honest since BA decided to suck at Jim Ratcliffe's teat and GD has followed RC down the route of the squashing any of the controversy that actually makes the build up to the AC appealing, my interest has been much reduced. Nor do I find much to like about either LR or AM. Consequently, I've not  had much to say. But I am looking forward to the Prada Cup.

I’m in the same boat but for a slightly different reason.  The boat is not appealing to me, because I can’t relate to it, and the racing is boring to me as a result.  I felt the same way about the last 2 foiling Cup cycles.  Was hoping GD would bring back displacement mono-hulls and when he didn’t I stopped following the Cup on a daily basis. 

Oracle Team USA defending in Bermuda also went a long way towards killing my interest in the AC. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

• Like 5
On 12/29/2020 at 2:59 PM, WetHog said:

I’m in the same boat but for a slightly different reason.  The boat is not appealing to me, because I can’t relate to it, and the racing is boring to me as a result.  I felt the same way about the last 2 foiling Cup cycles.  Was hoping GD would bring back displacement mono-hulls and when he didn’t I stopped following the Cup on a daily basis. 

Oracle Team USA defending in Bermuda also went a long way towards killing my interest in the AC. 

WetHog  :ph34r:

In 100% alignment with you there hoggie. These boats are even more unappealing to me than the AC50s.

But that's the defenders perogative i guess. I also detest the thought of the defender meeting the challengers prior to the cup. Where the fuck is the fun in that?

It's true that Lazza and Wussell were cocks in their defences of the cup but nowhere near as much as Ernie so we owe them at least for flushing Alinghi down the bog hole.

Finally I think ETNZ handed themselves too big an advantage going into this cup cycle by the way the class rule was developed.

They already had a massive advantage being one of only two established teams and the one that by far had the best foil, wing and (probably) software (i.e. VPP) setup.

I'm not tarring ETNZ with the same brush as Orifice here, but I do with they'd done some shit different.

• Like 3