Black Pearl - Botin 56

I thought this might be a welcomed distraction today...

Fresh out of the box this year, drawn by Botin and built in Valencia by King Marine. They pulled the plug on the Middle Sea Race but have headed down to the Canaries for winter training. There's quite a lot of photos and videos out there from the team, crew members and the contractors who supplied them. Here's a little highlight reel from their passage down South..

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHH_kq7AV3n/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

EDIT - the Instagram link won't embed properly...

Doyle Sails wardrobe (Luke Molloy is part of the sailing team), Southern Spars mast and boom, Carbolink rigging, Harken 'drive-train'. 

Heavily optimised for offshore in terms of sail wardrobe and systems. 

Botin and King Marine have put out some truly stunning yachts over the past couple of years - they are also responsible for the 85ft 'Deep Blue' which is currently lurking around Newport, RI after bailing out of Europe earlier in the year...

I love this boat. I love that team. I love their approach to racing. I love their attitude. I love everything about it. Stefan J is doing an excellent job and they've created a true offshore weapon. Looking forward to seeing it line up against Warrior Won in the RORC 600

12 minutes ago, JL92S said:

I like this boat a lot. Is it as cool as the Ker 56 Varuna though? Hmmm

It may not look as sexy/aggressive but the overall package is cooler. The level of finishing by King Marine is phenomenal and looking at the interior shots of Varuna there is a BIG difference in how well the systems are integrated in Black Pearl. There are some very cool details on this boat that I don't think have broken cover yet but I'm sure they will soon....

54 minutes ago, jordanseriesdrogue said:

Deep Blue out of water,  first on right as enter Newport Shipyard. Rig up , boom off.

Looks great.

That one's hard to miss - hopefully it get's to be let off the leash this winter down in the Caribbean. 

Curious as to why the boat is white with a name like Black Pearl and their previous Carkeek 47 was black? Off course I'd take the white boat any day. Maybe one black boat was enough for them? Unless it's a "Pearl" color but that would be hard to repair I would have thought. I like the off shore focus and the size range bigger than a TP52 but perhaps leaning on the handicap range that has made the 52's successful. 

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Curious as to why the boat is white with a name like Black Pearl and their previous Carkeek 47 was black? Off course I'd take the white boat any day. Maybe one black boat was enough for them? Unless it's a "Pearl" color but that would be hard to repair I would have thought. I like the off shore focus and the size range bigger than a TP52 but perhaps leaning on the handicap range that has made the 52's successful. 

She definitely has an 'off-white' finish - not sure I'd call it pearlescent but maybe that's what they were going for. I was pretty dubious when I first heard about the hull/sail colour combo but turns out I'm not making these decisions for a reason - it looks mint!

I don't think the IRC rating is public yet but I reckon we're going to see them filling quite a few IRC podium positions once they have it wound up...

13 minutes ago, NZK said:

She definitely has an 'off-white' finish - not sure I'd call it pearlescent but maybe that's what they were going for. I was pretty dubious when I first heard about the hull/sail colour combo but turns out I'm not making these decisions for a reason - it looks mint!

I don't think the IRC rating is public yet but I reckon we're going to see them filling quite a few IRC podium positions once they have it wound up...

Cheers makes sense. A "Pearlish" color would be nice.. Apparently water ballasted but is it a fixed or canting keel?

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Cheers makes sense. A "Pearlish" color would be nice.. Apparently water ballasted but is it a fixed or canting keel?

Fixed keel, stern ballast tanks, deck stepped rig.

3 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

Interesting.  I wonder if the ballast will get pulled for ORR.

It will be interesting racing against them to Hawaii.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:14 AM, jackolantern said:

IRC Website says 1.462

A well sorted Pac52 is 1.414.

I believe Mark Mills did a proposal for something similar (my own guess it was for BP because of similarities and timing) and makes a comment for this design vs a TP/IRC/PAC 52...

https://mills-design.com/project/irc-offshore-56/

I suppose just like all rating rules the goal is to rate 1.462 but perform much faster.  Maybe something inherent to this size and design makes that so.

1 hour ago, MKF said:

Is this the same design as the Botin 56, Highland Fling??

AFAIK it's the same hull shape/mold but then heavily optimised for offshore whereas Fling was geared towards inshore IRC

14 hours ago, TUBBY said:

Hmm,  reminds me of something.

Sydney Gold Coast start 2014.jpg

Haha. Very different though. The pirate skulls are looking in different directions and the swords are in different directions. Clearly very original artwork.

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, crashtestdummy said:

Looks like the bobstay tore out 

Doesn't look like pin or cable failure to me. If in a pin-horizontal configuration (looks like this is) usually the hole in the stem is large enough for the thimble to be slid in vertically. A bit of damage to paint would suggest the bobstay pulled th carbon cover off the stem (usually just sika'd on) when the sprit failed.

HW

• Like 1

The circle closer to the waterline is the pin that holds the bobstay in place. Based on how they took the prod off, I would assume that they detached the sprit from the inboard end of the boat and drifted the pin out at the waterline to let the bobstay free.

On the bright side, maybe they're happy how this turned out because the RORC 600 just went tits up and their US racing season (A2N & M2H) looks like it might be in jeopardy. Just put her back in mothballs until Fastnet!!

• Like 2
14 hours ago, jackolantern said:

The circle closer to the waterline is the pin that holds the bobstay in place. Based on how they took the prod off, I would assume that they detached the sprit from the inboard end of the boat and drifted the pin out at the waterline to let the bobstay free.

On the bright side, maybe they're happy how this turned out because the RORC 600 just went tits up and their US racing season (A2N & M2H) looks like it might be in jeopardy. Just put her back in mothballs until Fastnet!!

First boat to drop out of Transpac?!

Couldn't steer the thing with the tiny med sized rudder way forward, lost it and flogged a hard zero type sail on the sprit and took it out sideways.  They have a new rudder on way already.

• 3 weeks later...

St, Martin and St Barts just closed down to visitors due to Covid.  Heineken regatta in March and St Barts Bucket were canceled this week.
RORC 600 canceled 

Caribbean season is all going to shit fast 

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

St, Martin and St Barts just closed down to visitors due to Covid.  Heineken regatta in March and St Barts Bucket were canceled this week.
RORC 600 canceled 

Caribbean season is all going to shit fast 

The idea of letting covid run it's course in those parts doesn't seem to have worked..... back to square one ...... Makes feel lucky to be down under at the moment