9 hours ago, zillafreak said:

PB interview is like talking to a bot. Whatever question you ask him: "Yeah great. Gotta keep practicing to get better. Team effort. All the best to the guys.We're just gonna keep improving. The cup is what counts. Kiwi fans are great, Great to have the support at home."

No more PB interviews needed for this cup cycle. Just drive the boat Pete.

He also is very arrogant.  Never gives the opponent really any credit, it was all mistakes they did or other "problems".  I really think he is the one with the biggest head of all the helmsman.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Windskip said:

Just use Proton for this week Max. Not sure if the free version that it reverts to after the first week will do the job, but I'm on a very slow pipe and am still getting 1080P no problem with a NZ  spoof. At worst It'll cost me 8 Euros a month after that, which I can definitely live with.

Oh, and only using the VPN for YouTube as needed is my mode.

Thanks, I'll check it out, but will apparently need it for some months.

So, is there a switch to "use" the VPN for a specific YT vid, rather than it directly all traffic via it?

30 minutes ago, Windskip said:

https://www.vpnranks.com/reviews/urban/

"Your data can be hacked using this service."

39 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks, struggling to read so many comments. Went to the Urban VPN site, but I got a Firefox warning before it installed, seems to want very extensive permissions:

image.png.070e2a073e398c0bec90dcd5b7ab0f17.png

Have others vouched for it in the forum?

I use it.  similar warnings to most of the add-ons in firefox.

That is why I use it in firefox, not my normal browser.  Turn it on just for watching the AC and then turn it off again after.  

never use it for any of my private transactions.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

He also is very arrogant.  Never gives the opponent really any credit, it was all mistakes they did or other "problems".  I really think he is the one with the biggest head of all the helmsman.

Hopefully he is more down to earth and forthcoming with his crew and team.

5 minutes ago, MaxHugen said:

Thanks, I'll check it out, but will apparently need it for some months.

So, is there a switch to "use" the VPN for a specific YT vid, rather than it directly all traffic via it?

Just connect it when you're watching the coverage on Youtube, disconnect it for everything else. Friends don't let friends use shady ass extensions where the business model is YOU. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

The funny thing with Peter Burling is his boatmates never seem to have a problem with him, and in Bermuda it seemed like attempts to rile him up didn't seem to work. I think some people are projecting here.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Miffy said:

They probably will improve - don't forget the Kiwis didn't exactly inherit a production team funded by Oracle thru 2 cycles between a family extended vacations in Bermuda & NBC.

It is hard to get worked up for free coverage on youtube. 

Oh ffs cry them a river.. 

3 minutes ago, Miffy said:

The funny thing with Peter Burling is his boatmates never seem to have a problem with him, and in Bermuda it seemed like attempts to rile him up didn't seem to work. I think some people are projecting here.

Pete approaches every media appearance with the following mantra: “I will never say anything that might give my opponents a single second on the course.”

Cares zero about branding, legacy, etc. Cares only about winning. 

it only looks like arrogance because we are so used to sports figures desperate for clicks and fans. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Pete approaches every media appearance with the following mantra: “I will never say anything that might give my opponents a single second on the course.”

Cares zero about branding, legacy, etc. Cares only about winning. 

it only looks like arrogance because we are so used to sports figures desperate for clicks and fans. 

It is really funny because off the camera, all the sailing press say he's a proper good lad, his competitors that have personal training/sailing history with him say nothing but good stuff about him. He's done big boat crewing and those that do never say he's some kind of primma donna (which one might assume based on all the accolades and world sailor awards). 

But nah - he just doesn't care about trying to entertain ppl on the internet (omg how arrogant /sarcasm).

• Like 2

Catching up on this morning's races; 3:00 to 6:00 am is simply not feasible for me. 
I must admit, I haven't thought that real match racing is even possible with these beasts. But the second, longer AM/LR race was fantastic! As Dean said "It's a bit like the old school days." Agree 100%, very exciting.

As for the broadcast on YT: Kenny, NO and Shirley do a super great job. Especially the short summaries after the races revive and explain the crucial scenes well.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

As for the broadcast on YT: Kenny, NO and Shirley do a super great job. Especially the short summaries after the races revive and explain the crucial scenes well.

I feel like Nathan & Shirley are a better pairing - NO keeps making the effort to bring her into the conversation as the person actually on the water and often she gets talked over for obvious reasons. 

21 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Cultural differences that's all, very hard for some people to understand why we dont have a covid problem either... and if you think he has the biggest head you clearly have not been following the antics of Sir Ben

16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Is there some subtext I'm missing here? Or did the Kiwis take your lunch and shit on it or something. 

its your winge 

'don't forget the Kiwis didn't exactly inherit a production team funded by Oracle thru 2 cycles between a family extended vacations in Bermuda & NBC.'

who the fuck did Oracle inherit their oven ready media set up from? 

1 minute ago, JALhazmat said:

its your winge 

'don't forget the Kiwis didn't exactly inherit a production team funded by Oracle thru 2 cycles between a family extended vacations in Bermuda & NBC.'

who the fuck did Oracle inherit their oven ready media set up from? 

They had Oracle infrastructure & NBC, NBC is really good at producing sporting events. TV NZ 1 is like a local American city TV channel.

16 minutes ago, Miffy said:

It is really funny because off the camera, all the sailing press say he's a proper good lad, his competitors that have personal training/sailing history with him say nothing but good stuff about him. He's done big boat crewing and those that do never say he's some kind of primma donna (which one might assume based on all the accolades and world sailor awards). 

But nah - he just doesn't care about trying to entertain ppl on the internet (omg how arrogant /sarcasm).

Ok, we get it, you guys a buddies.  

You can brush off questions and still have a personality.  Too me, it just seems to be getting to his head and he just acts arrogant.  Some teams try to praise their competitors or at least point out that they have done something good. Pete is not one of them.

19 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

You can brush off questions and still have a personality.  Too me, it just seems to be getting to his head and he just acts arrogant.  Some teams try to praise their competitors or at least point out that they have done something good. Pete is not one of them.

This is absolute bullshit. Pete says it like it is. All these guys blaming everything on the RMS and the FCS, like Pete said, sometimes you have to go by eye, surprise surprise, just like sailing.

Second, those competitors have been attacking his team throwing one excuse after another, blaming his team for their losses, and you expect him to praise them!? If it was Me, I'd be telling them to man up and admit they just got their asses kicked.

Burling owns his shit, which is more than what can be said for his competitors. WHen he makes mistakes, he says it, "I got it a bit wrong, or I just made a bit of a mistake, where others are saying, "Oh it was the FCS not working, or oh, it was the RMS" fuck off, you just got beaten by the better team.

• Downvote 1
5 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I thought he was pretty gracious about Artemis & Nathan and with Oracle and Jimmy in Bermuda... have there been much press in Auckland I'm not seeing? I don't get it - 2020 is hard enough and I'm just hoping every race is as close as the one between Luna Rossa & USA. I kind of like the mature Spithill with the calm presence of the Italians & I've always found Dean Barker to be a good team and thought he represented Softbank well last edition. I don't think there needs to be bad guys invented in this cycle.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, The_Alchemist said:

Eh? He actually spent more time recognizing his race opponent's performance more than anyone else on stage. And he did this unprompted before answering an unrelated question.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Eh? He actually spent more time recognizing his race opponent's performance more than anyone else on stage. And he did this unprompted before answering an unrelated question.

Yep noticed that too but selective deafness is strong in some people. 

Just now, JALhazmat said:

Lol not an issue better team won.

it’s miffy haveing a sook about TNZ not inheriting super duper media package that I was laughing at 

He's not wrong though. Two cycles and a massive sports broadcaster would be really beneficial.

The overlay tech for this cup is not as good as Bermuda and maybe even San Fran. It's jittery, inaccurate, and often just has a really shit frame rate. They have some time to tune it, let's see if it's better by the challenger series.

• Like 3

I'm just calling it as I see it - people think TV coverage and presentation is something that just comes naturally. The Americans, NBC have so much more ready for purchase individual expertise & packaging solutions. You get really good when the NBC Sports team has full regular seasons of organized professional sports and Oracle team have a strong IT/broadcast infrastructure so the press aren't searching for WIFI. 

NZ is like a small city market in American terms - TVNZ ain't gonna bring some massive polished media extravaganza that SkyTV, ESPN, CBS, NBC or whomever is doing the Olympics, Formula 1 or SuperBowl. 

Indeed, the graphics have a funny 2007 feel about them. Nevertheless, I enjoy the retro look, especially since the Bermuda overlays were too much for my liking. They distracted from the racing as such.

Some things that I dearly miss during this edition:
- wind strength and direction
- readable grid data
- separation distance data
- a small, permanent display in one corner of the screen with boat speed, VMG and distance to the mark (or distance between the boats)

Actually, it sounds as if I want to have the full VE overlays of AC32 back ;).

All this to be shown more often, the overlays were rare on day 2.

• Like 7

We're heading out on the water again today. Having only watched snippets of the TV coverage, all I can say I am embarrassed for TVNZ. Folksy puerile banter among muppets with cheese for brains is my overall impression. 

My second whinge is for course management guys to sort their s out. There was a lot more boats out yesterday and prolly more today Sat. Everyone on the Eastern side missed start race 1 because the boundary was miles out and they moved everything with 5 mins to go. Then the corner mark yacht disappeared to city side for some reason. With wind against tide it made anchoring bigger boats tricky, they then moved twice more. I don't think the marks moved a great deal and wind was steady. 

6 hours ago, D_Dog said:

Is anyone else thinking that the 'penalty' amount of a 50m is way too small? 

For example, in the pre-start, if you got luffed or came off your foils to avoid a penalty, the repercussions could  be a loss of 200m+ trying to get going again. In some scenarios, teams would be better off to just ignore the other boat (obviously without hitting them), prioritising to keep on the foils and accept the 50m penalty.

Another example, by memory, was yesterday when LR paid their penalty just after the start by simply making their first up-wind tack early. As they lost 50m in the turn their penalty was cleared. But this could potentially save a boat a tack later on in the leg.

Doesn't seem like they have the balance quite right yet...

Agreed. These boats have demonstrated they can do 360s easily so IMO they should do away with the stupid "distance" penalty and go back to basics.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Catching up on this morning's races; 3:00 to 6:00 am is simply not feasible for me. 
I must admit, I haven't thought that real match racing is even possible with these beasts. But the second, longer AM/LR race was fantastic! As Dean said "It's a bit like the old school days." Agree 100%, very exciting.

It's a real shame we didn't get the European warm-up regattas as it would have helped the teams immensely in terms of boat handling in the heat of battle, but these boats are phenomenal and races like the AM/LR and AM/ETNZ race from the other day show how good they can be.  Blows all the naysayers (of which I was one) out of the water, and with another 1-2 months of the crews refining their skills the racing in the Prada Cup and AC could be amazing.  Bermuda was probably the biggest "meh" AC that I can remember, but after the last few days I'm now genuinely excited for the next few months.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

All top achievers in sport (as in commerce, etc) need a huge dosage of self-confidence, perceived by the not-so-high-achievers as "arrogance", to succeed: Tiger Woods, Bolt, Maradonna...take your pick of any sports code and you'll find their super-confident high achievers at the top of the food chain.

In Burling's case, he did make crucial mistakes which cost them the race Vs AM and he owned up to them - he didn't blame "software" or hardware or any of his crew.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rh3000 said:

He's not wrong though. Two cycles and a massive sports broadcaster would be really beneficial.

The overlay tech for this cup is not as good as Bermuda and maybe even San Fran. It's jittery, inaccurate, and often just has a really shit frame rate. They have some time to tune it, let's see if it's better by the challenger series.

I'm not at all convinced that Spark's 5G platform carrying the signals from the AC75s back to the broadcasters is stable enough yet. Too many freezes for my liking.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Indio said:

I'm not at all convinced that Spark's 5G platform carrying the signals from the AC75s back to the broadcasters is stable enough yet. Too many freezes for my liking.

well what a surprise !  No one could possibly have predicted that!      /sark

4 hours ago, underperformer said:

Nice! thetruth is either 13 years or getting slapped around by his wife/mother all day. He pays her back by being all woman unfriendly on a forum....

He was only referring to the lying biatch McEnitwit - no foul no harm.

1 minute ago, breezie said:

well what a surprise !  No one could possibly have predicted that!      /sark

Spark's not alone though they are ETNZ's sponsors. Both they and Vodafone have been hyping up 5G since forever with their over-priced handsets, etc.

They also need to sort out on board audio. The Ken Read post-race YT interview with LR was silly, barely able to communicate.

And the presser needs to clean up how they handle online questions...only getting them patched in halfway thru their question...then needing to repeat. More work to do than ineos.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Why give your opponent an inch?  AM didn't win that second race against ETNZ.  ETNZ lost it through bad calls and crew mistakes.  Burling was being honest.  As for Burling being arrogant and big headed you couldn't be further from the truth.  He and Tuke practice out of the Akarana Yacht Club for the 49'nrs.  I have heard nothing but praise for them both for the time they give to the young dinghy and foiler sailors when they are about.  Burling is extremely focussed and has an enormous capacity to process data - that can come across as being aloof but it isn't.  

Remember the criticism in Bermuda - oh "Spithall will own him in the pre-strarts" - wrong - wasn't it the other way round?  "Burling isn't up to press conferences and will get psyched out"....wrong again especially when he got a few dry gybes (pun intended) into Jimmy.

Also don't forget this is only Burling's second campaign and he isn't the media expert that Jimmy, Barker and Ben are.  He is still learning that part of his craft which is really secondary to being the best on the water helmsman.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Indio said:

It was never going to be.  Telecom always over promise and under deliver.  If you are a New Zealand you can remember their abortive dip into sports broadcasting the World Rugby Cup.  A disaster from beginning to end.  But ETNZ needed sponsors.

20 minutes ago, Indio said:

All top achievers in sport (as in commerce, etc) need a huge dosage of self-confidence, perceived by the not-so-high-achievers as "arrogance", to succeed: Tiger Woods, Bolt, Maradonna...take your pick of any sports code and you'll find their super-confident high achievers at the top of the food chain.

In Burling's case, he did make crucial mistakes which cost them the race Vs AM and he owned up to them - he didn't blame "software" or hardware or any of his crew.

Objectively, Pete's had by far the worst regatta personally. Lost two starts to INEOS. Nearly hit a mark blanking out Glen. Splash down gybe and were lucky it was at the bottom of the run and they weren't far from the round up to get going again. The start against AM was really down to traveller issues. But he fluffed the chance at the final windward after his crew got him back in it. 

If there is a chink in the kiwi armour, it's actually Pete. 

He needs to improve his coms, glenn is quite often prompting to get in to his head. I also think despite the camera's he's often blindsided in the pre-starts. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Objectively, Pete's had by far the worst regatta personally. Lost two starts to INEOS. Nearly hit a mark blanking out Glen. Splash down gybe and were lucky it was at the bottom of the run and they weren't far from the round up to get going again. The start against AM was really down to traveller issues. But he fluffed the chance at the final windward after his crew got him back in it. 

He needs to improve his coms, glenn is quite often prompting to get in to his head. I also think despite the camera's he's often blindsided in the pre-starts. 

Yet he's got an AC in his resumé , and he's 3&1 in the Xmas Cup: where's Team Brexitannia, btw?

4 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

You mean like last cup....until the cup match itself that is.

Funny how Burling lost so many starts in the LVC and Spithill was going to "eat him for lunch" (Ken Read's words) until suddenly he didn't but rather won the starts 7 - 2.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

The coverage is better than I had expected and while it is not Bermuda-quality it is reasonably good. There could be enhancements coming too. 

So the plan is not to show all of the good stuff right away, they have to save some of the enhancements for the AC.... lol  They are sandbagging!

38 minutes ago, Indio said:

As did AM make crucial mistakes to keep NZ in the race...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, cinnr said:

They also need to sort out on board audio. The Ken Read post-race YT interview with LR was silly, barely able to communicate.

And the presser needs to clean up how they handle online questions...only getting them patched in halfway thru their question...then needing to repeat. More work to do than ineos.

The on-boat interviews will be on 5G, hence the freeze and frame skips. The delays with patching in European callers may not be a local issue, I'll bet it's at the overseas end where the caller(s) are. The local shore-based hosts will have multiple gigabit broadband optical fibre links from the Mayoral Drive exchange just up the road, where the international fibre gateways are terminated.

I love Bruno but he's even harder to understand than our regular Cheech & Chong Italian analysts - don't know why they don't hire Ken Read to do the pressers.

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

So the plan is not to show all of the good stuff right away, they have to save some of the enhancements for the AC.... lol  They are sandbagging!

In fairness thats pretty much what happened in the last cup.

We didn't even see the accumulator pressures until part way through the match itself.

That said, if it can be fucked up I am sure TVNZ will manage it.

6 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Lost two starts to INEOS

Who would have thought before the regatta that there would be the traditional match racing pre-start maneuvers?  Certainly not many on this forum.  Watch for the rapid improvement and adjustment to tactics going forward.

13 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Nearly hit a mark blanking out Glen.

But didn't hit the mark.  Getting as close to those marks as you can and minimising the slide/drift will be something all teams will be trying to achieve.  

14 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Splash down gybe and were lucky it was at the bottom of the run and they weren't far from the round up to get going again.

That was a collective team stuff up.

14 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

But he fluffed the chance at the final windward after his crew got him back in it. 

Arguably the crew fluffed it as a whole.  What was noticeable was the difference in handling between Day 1 and Day 2 for ETNZ.  The same maneuvers they "fluffed" on the first day were nailed on the second.

16 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

Not a bad chink to have given Pete's proven capacity to learn and improve.

17 minutes ago, Mozzy Sails said:

He needs to improve his coms, glenn is quite often prompting to get in to his head.

Isn't that team work?  Especially when the helmsman can't see the side that Ashby is on?

3 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Ben gets all of the accolades and praise from everyone kissing his hand.  But, Ben look like he just more frank and tells you what he feels.  He is not afraid to say what he wants.

He seems to be the Tom Cruise of the sailing world.

Massive ego and surrounding by peeps who tell him how fucking amazing he is.

3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

We didn't even see the accumulator pressures until part way through the match itself.

Agreed, except for the TVNZ part - all they are doing is using different commentators. The broadcast is being done by that (whatever they’re called) European company. 

Just now, Stingray~ said:

Agreed, except for the TVNZ part - all they are doing is using different commentators. The broadcast is being done by that (whatever they’re called) European company. 

Oh really? Didn't realise that.

Oh well, there might be some hope then cos TVNZ are just APPALLING. Haven't watched broadcast TV since shortly after my son was born more than 11 years ago.

1 minute ago, jaysper said:

I think the real point is that they have all of the information (they rarely give you brief glimpses of it).  It is the production value that is lacking.  Like i pointed out how NO was says "let's see the time difference at this mark" and they do not even put up the graphic. It is obvious that the commentators have excellent knowledge about sailing, but the producers have no idea when and what to show at any given time.  Also, you can see that the commentators have been instructed to dumb it down.  They have all of the pieces to make it a very good broadcast, they just do not have the right people producing the event.

• Like 1
Just now, The_Alchemist said:

I think the real point is that they have all of the information (they rarely give you brief glimpses of it).  It is the production value that is lacking.  Like i pointed out how NO was says "let's see the time difference at this mark" and they do not even put up the graphic. It is obvious that the commentators have excellent knowledge about sailing, but the producers have no idea when and what to show at any given time.  Also, you can see that the commentators have been instructed to dumb it down.  They have all of the pieces to make it a very good broadcast, they just do not have the right people producing the event.

I am hopeful that when the real racing starts (this is little more than participation trophy racing) that they will up their game, because you are right that the broadcast production values are not what they could be.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NSP said:

Agreed. These boats have demonstrated they can do 360s easily so IMO they should do away with the stupid "distance" penalty and go back to basics.

I agree, they can change them by unanimous agreement - but do you honestly believe that LR and Brexitannia will agree to changing the penalties to old-school 360s?:D

44 minutes ago, Indio said:

Spark's not alone though they are ETNZ's sponsors. Both they and Vodafone have been hyping up 5G since forever with their over-priced handsets, etc.

I guess it’s only good for causing Covid and killing bees then?

• Like 1

the 360 penalty doesn't work very well if the offending party is able to foul you into falling off your foils, maintain foiling, do the 360 and disappear on you while you're still trying to recover control and hydraulic pressure deficits 

13 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Light Northerlies 10 forecast for this afternoon tomorrow looks to be light too.

Middle of outgoing tide so they may not go for course B - tide against wind.  Perhaps Course A where they have the most latitude to shift the course relative to wind direction and no land effect.

Although I think the course selection is being dictated somewhat by allowing as big a crowd as possible to view the racing.  

1 hour ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Also don't forget this is only Burling's second campaign and he isn't the media expert that Jimmy, Barker and Ben are.  He is still learning that part of his craft which is really secondary to being the best on the water helmsman.

Yes!

I guess most of us want our top skippers to be self-deprecating, modest and open but life ain’t normally like that.  Their focus is so intense that stuff like post-race conferences must be a complete waste of time to them, even if it’s necessary for sponsors and event PR.  Personally, it doesn’t bother me if someone comes across to the public (not his team) as unlikeable or uninteresting as long as they get the job done and don’t whine or bullshit.

In the whole of my working career (I’m 73 now), I only ever had 2 bosses who I’d class as a true leader as opposed to a competent manager.  Someone who inspired, mentored and whom you’d walk over broken glass for.  That probably shows how rare people like that are.  And here we are behind our keyboards criticising various skippers without a fucking clue about what they’re really like. :lol:

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

Middle of outgoing tide so they may not go for course B - tide against wind.  Perhaps Course A where they have the most latitude to shift the course relative to wind direction and no land effect.

Although I think the course selection is being dictated somewhat by allowing as big a crowd as possible to view the racing.  

That's a shame for the racing if the crowd is dictating course choices don't these fuckers own big screen tvs.

This is fucking epic, pre start duels, penalties galore, lead changes and proper sized boats with massive performance. Spice it up with Shirley, Nate and Kenny for an epic trio of commentaries that know the game inside out. It’s just a shame one team is so much faster and one so much slower, racing begins in the middle of the night but I cannot stay away, it’s been 3,5 years in the making...

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

That's a shame for the racing if the crowd is dictating course choices don't these fuckers own big screen tvs.

It is an "Event" or have you forgotten that?  If they wanted to present the best sailing course day in day out B, C, and D wouldn't feature ever due to the land and tide effects.  Now that would be boring wouldn't it?

4 minutes ago, Kate short for Bob said:

It is an "Event" or have you forgotten that?  If they wanted to present the best sailing course day in day out B, C, and D wouldn't feature ever due to the land and tide effects.  Now that would be boring wouldn't it?

In any level of racing using or avoiding current along with wind strength and direction variations are an integral part of the skillset that should be tested in order to determine who is best. If I had my way as long as a true windward leeward course could be set, a course option up and down under the harbour bridge would be used. 

The best course to test a teams true abilities is one where there are multiple options as to the route taken, go left for more pressure or right to be in less adverse current? How do you position yourself at a gate to stay in sinc with wind shifts whilst containing or breaking away from the other boat? Etc etc.

Yeah sure these aren't things the nonsailing viewer would be able to understand, but a good presenter could explain these to them without boring the tits off those that do.

A course with no or consistant current and constant wind strength and direction would as you rightly imply be dull. Therefore as far as I'm concerned B,C and D are the best courses by a country mile, the fact that they also have great viewing platforms around them is a huge bonus. 

• Like 2
59 minutes ago, dorydude said:

Really?

Don't you think it's possible that PB is engaging in a bit of creative sandbagging?

The only way they can have any semblance of a race is to let their opponents get ahead, and by falling off the foils at crucial  times they can achieve this.

It's shades of the "Burling doesn't know how to start "from the Bermuda.

Absolutely. 

If they win the start against INEOS then they may as well be training by themselves. They've got plenty of time for that. 

6 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

Colin Meads, Ritchey Mccaw and Ed Hillary were not a lot different to be honest...... it aint arrogance..... it's the way we are down here, as the Kiwi general said to the Pommy one in WW2 when commenting on a lack of saluting..... oh just wave and they'll wave back ok