• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

The race committee were towing the pin end upwind as ETNZ were trying to enter. It’s little wonder the course data is off. 

The overlay data has been way out at times. It's likely sourced from the same data the teams are getting. On one leg yesterday LR ended up way above the mark the data was so crook. Jimmy's got a valid point - the data has been patchy as. I do hope they sort it out, as at the moment it's not fit for purpose.

• Like 1

no excuse for not knowing exactly where the marks are

they should be transmitting their gps position and teams should be updated minute by minute of where all the marks are so they know exactly where they are including any anchor swing

my other gripes are with the coverage .. mainly the lack of

vmg / distance to mark / lead .... are the most important and should be on screen all the time

wind speed / direction ( apparent and true ) / boat speed should be often shown

on board crew comments should be easier to hear than commentary ( louder not soften as at present )

boundaries should be overlaid on every water shot

or am i wrong and there are other things people think more important

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Here we go again with Ian just like in 2013.  The LOWER wind limit is 6 knots!!!  We are at 9 knots currently.  Start the fucking race!!!!

Herding cats takes time (spectator fleet is on the course)

29 minutes ago, phill_nz said:

on board crew comments should be easier to hear than commentary ( louder not soften as at present )

Put one of the port or starboard tacks on your phone, wear one ear bud.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NZL3481 said:

That's one of Iain's best "you've got no fucking idea" looks I've seen in a while...

That’s a good one. I’ve been across the boardroom table from him and had that stare. It can be withering.  

3 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What's the time delay until we have a start?

Nobody knows. They just kept pushing the start back in 10 minute increments and that was never realistic as the video still showed 4,371 spectator boats on the course . They appear to have stopped giving a new start time and are now just replaying Race 1.

These boats have shown that there is scope for actual racing to accidentally break out. Imagine them on a bigger, unrestricted course, in races that last longer than an hour...

• Like 2
Just now, JALhazmat said:

The joy of “stadium” races. Pricks in boats can get too fucking close and fuck up thing they are  trying to watch.

Some of those boats were out there fishing and don't give a shyte about sail boats.  Law of the sea.  Beautiful day in Auckland so anyone who has a boat will be on the water.

Just now, JALhazmat said:

The joy of “stadium” races. Pricks in boats can get too fucking close and fuck up thing they are  trying to watch.

Well, to be fair they changed the course because of wind shifts.  So technically they were gathered around the original course boundaries.  

3 minutes ago, Nutta said:

These boats have shown that there is scope for actual racing to accidentally break out. Imagine them on a bigger, unrestricted course, in races that last longer than an hour...

I'd love to see these on a DOG course. So fast that it would be the perfect length race.

• Like 1

It is not going to be pretty.  You have these large boats backing up then getting in front of some smaller boat that has been in the right space all the time.  I would be throwing all the beer bottles (empty of course, an incentive to drink quicker) at those big boats.

1 minute ago, Enzedel92 said:

This is an embarrassment.

It is.  You'd think a couple of Police launches cruising along with sirens blaring and a very loud loudspeaker "GET BACK. $1,000 Fine Per Person!" ....  could fix the problem?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

wanna bet?

But I do hope that the obstinate fishermen on course have the really, really heavy tackle on, just in case they catch something Italian...

1 minute ago, The_Alchemist said:

They may have to call the ACWS and just go with the current standings for seeding into the Christmas Cup.  

1-AM, 2-NZ, 3-LR, 4-UK

Well the LR / UK race is now underway, so that means they'll likely run the AM / NZ race as well at least.