• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Wandering Geo said:

What is "When you have a moth ball in this hand and another moth ball in this hand"?

Fucking big moth.

What you got when you have a green ball in your left hand and a green ball in the right?

2 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Commentators keep mentioning that one tack mistake from AM. If they were quicker they would have closed it up. They didn't, ETNZ extended on almost every subsequent leg.

Agree with your comment but remember where Ken Read comes from, he certainly had no positive comments for ETNZ!

4 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Agree with your comment but remember where Ken Read comes from, he certainly had no positive comments for ETNZ!

I don't think that's fair.

Ken was very complimentary towards ETNZ all through the last cup cycle.

Just cos someone doesn't mean that the are biased.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chucky said:

Ken Read is the President of North Sails who supplies the sails to ETNZ.  Ironically, AM does not use North Sails.

40 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Is it me or is this quiet possibly the most boring sail racing ever?  

It is pretty tense seeing who is going to come off the foils, then an excruciating wait to see if they get up again. Not boring,  but not yacht racing. 

26 minutes ago, Bill R said:

Bring back 12m's, slam dunks, kite hoists, tactics, racing all day, .. 

30 minute races are bullshit.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

I remember people said the same thing about him during the challenger series in Bermuda. 

And he lost about every start/most starts until the cup.

Saving his best 'till last? He'd better not be relying on boat speed come the Match, is all I'm sayin. ;-)

Jimmy sounded pretty pleased with their light air performance today. Probably has reason to be. That race could have gone either way. As I said earlier, I think LR was pointing higher upwind than TR. Similar VMG though as TR was faster.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Horn Rock said:

Jimmy sounded pretty pleased with their light air performance today. Probably has reason to be. That race could have gone either way. As I said earlier, I think LR was pointing higher upwind than TR. Similar VMG though as TR was faster.

Maybe just the mode burling chose. I remember hearing Glen asking if he wanted to mode higher on the first beat.

30 minutes ago, DayTripper said:

I remember people said the same thing about him during the challenger series in Bermuda. 

And he lost about every start/most starts until the cup.

I don't think he is trying at the start.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, barfy said:

Maybe just the mode burling chose. I remember hearing Glen asking if he wanted to mode higher on the first beat.

I think you're right. 

With the smaller foils, I thought TR was marginal today - even though she won - To me, LR looked a bit happier in those conditions.

2 hours ago, jaysper said:

The incredible hulk right where you want him.

The 70's called. They want their joke back! 8)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jaysper said:

You mean like last cup....until the cup match itself that is.

Funny how Burling lost so many starts in the LVC and Spithill was going to "eat him for lunch" (Ken Read's words) until suddenly he didn't but rather won the starts 7 - 2.

No, I wasn't drawing comparisons to last cup, I was just looking objectively at the performances of the helmsmen during the first two days. 

So I haven’t had a a chance to watch the replay - long night.  But in the LR ENTZ race it looked like Prada was about to take off at about 15 knots then they had to tack and threw it all away.  What a shame. Would it have been better to at least get on the foils and cop a penalty instead of starting over?  ENTZ came roaring back

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Sack Ainslie and Holroyd and hire Outteridge, Slingsby and Percy.

And that’s  going to make the boat faster how? 
are they going to turn up with new foils? 

if you think the problem is the guys on the boat then you are deluded. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Horn Rock said:

Watching the races again......why does that Steven dude always have to say "Luna Rossa Prada Pirelli" - in long form with such a stupid accent?  Why can't he just say the Hand bags?

Glad it’s irritating the Southern Hemisphere too, the over pronunciation of anything remotely different is fucking dumb 

for the Italians watching  he is butchering it anyway  

4 hours ago, nav said:

131520555_5153035264721484_7281521350907

I didn't realize ETNZ had won the Americas Cup already? Because it's Prada this and Prada that is that why we get that guy who does the presser's and this sort of thing? To me the celebrations are over the top or perhaps I'm being cruel? I'm sorry but the regatta so far has shown glimpses of good racing but sailing will never be promoted to mainstream with what I've seen so far. The typical bullshit has prevailed, such as Americans not being able to watch this without being asked to pay stupid amounts of money? Why? A practice race with AC type celebrations? 

4 hours ago, nav said:

132032166_5152695104755500_4941090259008

I wasn't sure but now I know, ...   ETNZ won the Americas Cup when I was mowing the farking lawns.? And the event was shortened in the process. But wait.. Is there more racing that decides the Prada Cup? Can't wait to see the celebrations for that one..........................................................! ;)

7 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

Glad it’s irritating the Southern Hemisphere too, the over pronunciation of anything remotely different is fucking dumb 

Typical talking head - loves the sound of his own voice. Adds nothing to the commentary though. Needs to be ditched.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, JALhazmat said:

And that’s  going to make the boat faster how? 
are they going to turn up with new foils? 

if you think the problem is the guys on the boat then you are deluded. 

The criticism and heat should be on the Ineos CEO IMO. He hasn't said a word to date in defense of the team and what he signed off on? He did say apparently "Are you happy to sign off on this Nick?" Way different approach to the "TEAM" thing ETNZ do. I'm not seeing "TEAM" with Ineos?

8 hours ago, Bill R said:

I thought it would suck but it is fun. Today less so but interesting. It feels like the early  days of something though with the foils making a racket, on board audio going in and out and Ken R saying stupid shit over the top the whole time. The graphics overlay on the screen is tremendously distracting. I would bet we see a lot more tacking duels, much better prestart tactics and more light air in the final.

48 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

I didn't realize ETNZ had won the Americas Cup already? Because it's Prada this and Prada that is that why we get that guy who does the presser's and this sort of thing? To me the celebrations are over the top or perhaps I'm being cruel? I'm sorry but the regatta so far has shown glimpses of good racing but sailing will never be promoted to mainstream with what I've seen so far. The typical bullshit has prevailed, such as Americans not being able to watch this without being asked to pay stupid amounts of money? Why? A practice race with AC type celebrations? 

Covid mate....have you heard of it?!

The ACWS was in the Protocol, the trophy was made - just needed to find the right team for it :D

Same with the Christmas 'Regatta' they will start (and complete) tomorrow, had to happen....

So far so good - if only there was a little less whining noise around here - entitled much?

4 hours ago, Mozzy Sails said:

No, I wasn't drawing comparisons to last cup, I was just looking objectively at the performances of the helmsmen during the first two days. 

My point was that until the cup match itself you can't be sure they all aren't sandbagging.

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Yeah. I'm left wondering what the races are for today then? Why were they celebrating? Blake has got to be turning in his grave at this shit.

You partisan types are truly convinced everyone around the world shares your little nationalism petty shitfest huh? 

Blake didn’t give a shit what country or creed you’re from - but it seems like you got your panties bundled in a twist over something you can’t even articulate without feeling embarrassed hence the coy nonsense. 

13 hours ago, The_Alchemist said:

He just got sloppy.  They were talking about it , but then it was too late to tack on top of NZ.  Dean said too late we will just keep going.

Seems like in these boats there can be no committee decisions. One or the other of them need to just decide and then they need to do it and then they need to live with that. If they discuss it, all of the options go away quickly.

1 hour ago, jaysper said:

My point was that until the cup match itself you can't be sure they all aren't sandbagging.

Seems like these days "sandbagging" is probably a poor metaphor. This and other recent cups, there is a lot of work to have ideas and plan and manage risk. And timing is very important. None of these teams can afford not to sail hard in every race. But all of the teams probably have things that they have not rolled out yet.

4 minutes ago, nroose said:

Seems like in these boats there can be no committee decisions. One or the other of them need to just decide and then they need to do it and then they need to live with that. If they discuss it, all of the options go away quickly.

correct.  Who is in charge on these boats?

46 minutes ago, pusslicker said:

Yeah. I'm left wondering what the races are for today then? Why were they celebrating? Blake has got to be turning in his grave at this shit.

Two different events. They won one event so they celebrated! Only a true fucking loser would begrudge a team their celebration because his dumb ass can’t keep up with the schedule.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

So I haven’t had a a chance to watch the replay - long night.  But in the LR ENTZ race it looked like Prada was about to take off at about 15 knots then they had to tack and threw it all away.  What a shame. Would it have been better to at least get on the foils and cop a penalty instead of starting over?  ENTZ came roaring back

Saved by the new breeze, by the look. I guess that bustle helped too.

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 10.06.20 PM.png

I am under the impression that if you are behind, there isn't really a penalty. INEOS violated the boundaries a couple of times and the penalty was immediately cleared.

1 hour ago, nroose said:

Seems like these days "sandbagging" is probably a poor metaphor. This and other recent cups, there is a lot of work to have ideas and plan and manage risk. And timing is very important. None of these teams can afford not to sail hard in every race. But all of the teams probably have things that they have not rolled out yet.

I can't wait until they add the pie warmers...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

He’d hit a shipping container, and anyway, they are already consistently coming in second in each race.

Ha. Too bad the Poms have run out of options then, eh?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, nroose said:

I am under the impression that if you are behind, there isn't really a penalty. INEOS violated the boundaries a couple of times and the penalty was immediately cleared.

I'd call that mercy

• Like 2

If you click through to north island, and compare today's surface wind forecast for today to yesterday, you will see the convergence setting up much further east today. Like right on the east coast. I have used this tool lots for light air and it is pretty accurate on convergence.

http://rasp.nz/rasp/view.php?region=NZNORTH_N&mod=%2B0&date=20201219&file=sfcwind.curr.1500lst.w2.png&section=wind.params

3 hours ago, nroose said:

For some boats, the two boat length penalty is 2-3 seconds. For Ineos, it's long enough to walk to the fridge and grab another beer... 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

How many hours from now is the scheduled start of the Xmas Cup? Is there any wind? 

First race (ETNZ Vs ITUK) scheduled for 3:12pm NZ time. Prolly be delayed. I don't think the course has been confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

How many hours from now is the scheduled start of the Xmas Cup? Is there any wind? 

Same as yesterday if the wind holds.  10-12 knot nor easter in Coromandel which is about 30 km as the crow flies east of the  course

3 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Same as yesterday if the wind holds.  10-12 knot nor easter in Coromandel which is about 30 km as the crow flies east of the  course

Wow, 30km? 

Lets hope they can find some wind today for the Finale. 

2 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Nice spot. Have across to Te Kouma a few times.

• Like 1