On 12/1/2020 at 11:42 PM, enigmatically2 said:

No real good thread to put this one on, but what has happened to Kevin in the Vendee* shows what could happen to these boats if someone gets it wrong and stuffs it. And these boats will be built a lot less strong than the vendee boats.

No 5-6 metre waves to slam into but, so I think they'll survive.

On the other hand, boats folding in half in the AC would not be a new experience.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

18 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Out of moderate desperation we have resorted to getting relatives in AK to ask around local marinas, and managed to sweet talk some one into hiring a cruising cat for couple of days el cheaponfor the Xmas races.

Perfect! 

Well this article in Sailing Sardinia is interesting

"It seems that Max has been seen going to the docks of Auckland to collect the entry fees to the shout: PEEL THE PILLA (Get the money out)! The Cagliari slang has been used and is no longer able to abandon, as if to testify to its perfect integration, after so many years in Sardinia, with the Sardinian people. The Italian skipper was unable to find anyone at the ETNZ base: it seems that the New Zealanders are going out into the sea a lot, just to avoid meeting Max who wants to make him pay the registration fee.

http://www.sailingsardinia.it/pratica-un-criterium-con-gli-ac75-con-annessi-e-connessi/?fbclid=IwAR1wXBbvfGAWTcNEDjBxbQzq3wg4simJlI798HpmLGJSj44r3YJFAO8x6iU

15 minutes ago, chesirecat said:

Well this article in Sailing Sardinia is interesting

"It seems that Max has been seen going to the docks of Auckland to collect the entry fees to the shout: PEEL THE PILLA (Get the money out)! The Cagliari slang has been used and is no longer able to abandon, as if to testify to its perfect integration, after so many years in Sardinia, with the Sardinian people. The Italian skipper was unable to find anyone at the ETNZ base: it seems that the New Zealanders are going out into the sea a lot, just to avoid meeting Max who wants to make him pay the registration fee.

http://www.sailingsardinia.it/pratica-un-criterium-con-gli-ac75-con-annessi-e-connessi/?fbclid=IwAR1wXBbvfGAWTcNEDjBxbQzq3wg4simJlI798HpmLGJSj44r3YJFAO8x6iU

Hoping that site does sailing jokes..? Right?

Will there be any live feed of the practice racing next week?

If not who will be watching (and filming) to let us know who has the slows and the fast.

World Series Auckland
Official practices, with the teams training together, will be held from 1500-1800 Auckland time, on

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December
Official practice racing, from 1500-1800 on
  • Friday 11 December
  • Monday 14 December
  • Tuesday 15 December
31 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Depending on which courses they use I'm going to try and a spot on at least one of those days.

Brilliant. Wish I was there. Looking at Mr Mitchell's video today of Prada completing a foiling 360° you are in for a treat. I am just hoping that someone in the event organisation has the balls to give us some form of live feed as they clearly will be testing the tv transmission as much as the course setting and marshalling. 

• Like 2

The course diagram that was to apply to all the Auckland races was contained in this notice back in 2018

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6MzBiZmU2NjEwMGU4MmEwNw

The amendment linked in my previous post narrows the width of the course for the ACWS and the Christmas races only from the original .8nm to .7nm. (Both the amendment and the original diagram include a note that the course could be narrowed further due to 'conditions').

So no, going by COR/D notices 7 & 27, the course for the Prada Cup and the Match remain as per the 2018 guidance (at least until they decide to amend those too ;))

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, biff said:

Better work on your turns, I doubt we see a boat sailing on one gybe or tack for more than 1 minute. 

Yes, since the minimum number of tacks required could well change if the course width changes, it’s an interesting subject. TE had Hamish Ross on yesterday and iirc then they said that LR had pressed for (and lost) a reduction in course width, presumably because they see maneuvers as a superiority. 

Thanks nav.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:47 AM, winchfodder said:

If not who will be watching (and filming) to let us know who has the slows and the fast.

World Series Auckland
Official practices, with the teams training together, will be held from 1500-1800 Auckland time, on

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December
  • Friday 11 December
  • Monday 14 December
  • Tuesday 15 December

15knts forecast for Tuesday. Perfect !!

Something I banged out for during a live show with Hamish Ross yesterday, on TE’s show. Hamish agreed it should, and maybe will be, amended.

Given how important foils are to the  performance of AC75’s and how design-optimized they are for wind pressure ranges, for what reasons are teams prevented from selecting their foil packages each race day instead of having to guess about conditions at 5 days from the start of a series? Seems like weather could throw a big curveball, negating the design efforts of $150M syndicates if the weather guess was simply wrong.

Too much unpredictability for what was intended to be a design competition, imo. 

10 minutes ago, Kiwing said:

Should be designing foils that cover a wide wind range as the rules specify.

Since foil sections are so highly speed-optimized, flatter bell curve all-around foils will never be as fast as ones that get lucky enough to operate at their steeper peak-curve conditions. 

The rule was likely intended to try attract more syndicates but given the quality of the few teams here, allowing overnight foil changes would surely be in everyone’s best interests. 

On 12/5/2020 at 5:47 AM, winchfodder said:

World Series Auckland

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December
  • Friday 11 December
  • Monday 14 December
  • Tuesday 15 December

Fuck Christmas deadlines!

If there was ever a good reason to throw a sickie...

1 hour ago, Stingray~ said:

............allowing overnight foil changes would surely be in everyone’s best interests. 

Except people who have already designed them for the rule.  Speed is not everything, VMG is far more important and not so wind speed reliant?

• Like 1
On 12/4/2020 at 4:47 PM, winchfodder said:

World Series Auckland

• Tuesday 8 December
  • Thursday 10 December
  • Friday 11 December
  • Monday 14 December
  • Tuesday 15 December

Any news yet if there will be any live feed from the official TV operation during the practice racing.  If not any ideas of unofficial feed?

I think ETNZ (or at least the ACE operation) were in charge of TV (jointly funded with the challengers or at least their entry fees?)

Does that include the Christmas regatta and the Prada Cup? Now that Prada seem to be taking over the media operation for all the challenger events. 

On 11/19/2020 at 2:13 PM, Nutta said:

That's the sickly, inedible Satan's spaghetti, yes.

speaking as a pastafarian with colander in  my driver's license and all, I think we can probably get the Flying Spaghetti Monster to flay them with meatballs. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Kiwing said:

Should be designing foils that cover a wide wind range as the rules specify.

So, the question is why? To limit expense? Or maybe something more nefarious - like ETNZ think they have another uber wind range option? ;-)

47 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Any ideas when they will announce which courses they will practice on? 

No idea on courses but rising Northerlies forecast Tuesday Wednesday with a Southwesterly change later in the week expected to be light.

1976355722_ScreenShot2020-12-07at5_42_36PM.thumb.png.b748887e3a438ed62a8598e35babcfcd.png

12 hours ago, kenergy said:

Any ideas when they will announce which courses they will practice on? 

The whole point is practice isn't it? For the teams, the marshals, the RDS, the umpires, the Umpbot (!?), the media bods, the RD etc etc etc

So I reckon they'll, 'stick to the program' which is calling the course by 10:00 as per the Race Instructions.

more detail here (including a hint that performance data might be publicly available for everything after the Practice races)

https://docs.google.com/a/acofficials.org/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YWNvZmZpY2lhbHMub3JnfGFjMzYtb2ZmaWNpYWwtbm90aWNlYm9hcmR8Z3g6M2I2YTZkOWVkNjEwNTExYg

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, enigmatically2 said:

That is the one team you do want to play with as you might learn. You don't want to play with slower teams as they might learn

Going to be a fascinating couple of weeks here on the sparkling Waitemata home of the Cup.

Most probably not that sparking today Northwesterly 15 overcast chance of showers humid.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Course E for today’s get together.

America's Cup: Teams take to water in first official day of practice 
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12388342

39E952AB-918B-4E64-8AF1-1A0696E1B627.thumb.jpeg.b510c5d9f096463128a52a2fefe65117.jpeg

Great!

I'm on the car ferry at 2 so pass right through area E on the way home to Waiheke. 

I'll be there before they start racing in anger but hopefully the boats will be in the area.

I'll see if I can get some decent shots.

If any of the teams are reading this a flyby would be appreciated;)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nav said:

more detail here (including a hint that performance data might be publicly available for everything after the Practice races)

Am not reading it that way about the data, but here’s hoping you’re right. During AC35 the guys at ARL were pretty good about posting the data sets within 20 minutes or so; am curious to see what the new format is, if they do post data in this cycle. All of us need ‘practice’ :) 

Looked at course dimensions vs speed and angle of boats in 10 and 20 kts of wind. There's not going to be much straight line sailing. I guess very similar to Bermuda or maybe even shorter. I wish the courses were a bit wider and longer...

10kts.thumb.JPG.83d68d90b27f4b37bc2e9eaa466924e2.JPG

20kts.thumb.JPG.051a43b1f4ac28a1e13785ab5009a83a.JPG

Times shown in min:sec excluding tacks and jibes.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, dullers said:

INEOS is consistently the first boat back to the base and buffet.

That's because they are so fast they get their training and practice over and done with before the other teams have finished lunch!

1 hour ago, Indio said:

That's because they are so fast they get their training and practice over and done with before the other teams have finished lunch!

I heard that a tea pot broke on board. A replacement is being sent from Staffordshire, England. When that arrives they will be back out on the water.

Screenshot (1689).png

• Like 2

I wonder if the Ports of Auckland’s parking lot of freighters sitting idle on the sparkling Waitemata will impact on the ACWS course choices.

Note the Pied Piper in cruising mode such a iconic and versatile yacht.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018773360/automation-problems-behind-auckland-port-delays-wharfie

3D3E5BB8-BD8D-47AE-864D-64BED8E0F089.jpeg.0bd4b11538a63d99291f02aa7e348df0.jpeg

9877BA61-F71C-40FD-ACC1-4A26628E3AE1.jpeg.8e26176bd52a1c9eb328d7ef7c37e8e5.jpeg

4 hours ago, dullers said:

I heard that a tea pot broke on board. A replacement is being sent from Staffordshire, England. When that arrives they will be back out on the water.

Screenshot (1689).png

Maybe they should switch to coffee. I hear the Italian's have a pretty good machine

cp.jpg.c85dd3de7d11edf978ba922a37855f17.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, dullers said:

Screenshot (1689).png

Not very aerodynamic, and...is that bowsprit even legal??

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Varan said:

Maybe they should switch to coffee. I hear the Italian's have a pretty good machine

cp.jpg.c85dd3de7d11edf978ba922a37855f17.jpg

Seems slow to brew up though. Can you fit the winning cup under the bow sprit there?

7 minutes ago, Indio said:

Not very aerodynamic, and...is that bowsprit even legal??

Well as people have posted earlier we know that Team Middle East copied INEOS  and no one is questioning their bow sprit. I have a picture for you to compare but i guess I will have to deal with Kiwi bias. You tell me what the diference is between them?

Screenshot (1693).png

2 minutes ago, dullers said:

Well as people have posted earlier we know that Team Middle East copied INEOS  and no one is questioning their bow sprit. I have a picture for you to compare but i guess I will have to deal with Kiwi bias. You tell me what the diference is between them?

Screenshot (1693).png

This one definitely has a more hydrodynamic skeg, cunningly camouflaged by the "Emilates Fry Better" colour splash...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dullers said:

Does anyone know what that is on Team Middle Easts boat?  Do you think the other teams will copy it?

Screenshot (1693).png

That's a vibrational frequency generator to keep covid-19 away from our brave sailors as they pass the Italians frequently.

9 hours ago, dullers said:

Screenshot (1693).png

I think it is the extra lemon...

On 12/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, erdb said:

Looked at course dimensions vs speed and angle of boats in 10 and 20 kts of wind. There's not going to be much straight line sailing. I guess very similar to Bermuda or maybe even shorter. I wish the courses were a bit wider and longer...

10kts.thumb.JPG.83d68d90b27f4b37bc2e9eaa466924e2.JPG

20kts.thumb.JPG.051a43b1f4ac28a1e13785ab5009a83a.JPG

Times shown in min:sec excluding tacks and jibes.

Wait what?  There is only 3 tacks on the upwind leg??  

9 hours ago, minimumfuss said:

Yep no vulgar beach cats here. Few more super yachts be nice for him to schmooze on

Few more J class, just arrived in Opua.  One had to go back to collect it's owner who could not fly here?

6 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Who the fuck is the interviewer for the Christmas Regatta preview occurring now?  He sounds drunk!!!!  Does he speak English??  WTF. .. How about get a hot American brunettes or something.  For fucks sakes

Bruno Trouble, not surprised you don’t know who he is in Cup lore.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Enzedel92 said:

Who the fuck is the interviewer for the Christmas Regatta preview occurring now?  He sounds drunk!!!!  Does he speak English??  WTF. .. How about get a hot American brunette or something.  For fucks sakes

Agreed, the guy hasn’t aged well.. Let’s hope they (Prada?) jazz it up nicely for future pressers, BT was awful. Thankfully the skippers all spoke well regardless. 

50 minutes ago, terrafirma said:
Current TAB odds for Christmas Cup

Team NZ 1.45
Luna Rossa 4.50
American Magic 5.00
Team UK 15.00

Is NZ a bit skinny?

I think AM and Luna Rossa are on par and the odds almost reflect that.

It's a bit hard to justify betting on any sports fixture when ALL the teams are trying to throw races.

• Like 2