• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Ineos needing 2 chase boats to keep the thing level.! Hard to tell was Prada any good? We might find out next race. In my eyes AM best boat after ETNZ but we won't know for sure until these 2 meet and if we can get a clear start and some boat on boat stuff. at the moment this racing is over a few hundred meters after the start. Boring so far.

ETNZ v Prada should be closer? i dunno... oh wait that race already happened

I'm loving this stuff. It's like spring training. Or preseason bball. I don't expect close racing but it's great to see the great footage, the data, and some exciting moments.

12 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

So foil cant issues. Rudder cable issues. Control issues.  Ineos have some work to do which will mean less time on the water. 

I feel terrible for the INEOS sailors. The problems seem very much shore-based in terms of processes and systems.  As the US guru W Edwards Deming who got the Japanese on their feet at the end of WW2 said, "If you have great people but poor systems, the poor systems will win every time".  Having been involved most of my life with productivity improvement , Deming was spot on.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, kenergy said:

Yep, not much of an advert for the sport right now. 

This is looking like SF. Hopefully there AM are closer than the other two teams to ENTZ. Seems like Ineos is Artemis, Prada is Prada and AM is ENTZ.

1 minute ago, kenergy said:

Any idea of the speeds they hit after the bottom mark? 

Fastest speed I saw all day was nudging 47 knots. But bear in mind speed is nothing it's really VMG and we don't really see that in a way we can digest

2 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Fastest speed I saw all day was nudging 47 knots. But bear in mind speed is nothing it's really VMG and we don't really see that in a way we can digest

They were flashing graphics with VMG for a bit, but not long enough.  

No one sandbags control technology - you develop it as you go to improve and improve your human machine interaction. Sandbagging like putting weights in a runner’s ankles - do it long enough and you fuck up the runner. 

Did anyone else feel like this was a repeat of Race 5 of the 2007 AC?  Where ETNZ were in the lead and got into a tacking duel with Alighi and would lose every time??  Hutch and Deano back at it again!! Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory lol!

Almost!!

American Magic had the highest speed of the day 47.3 Knots with the smaller jib than ETNZ.  The scary thing though really was ETNZ had quite a few issues, dunk the boat a heap of times, and were only 12 seconds behind in the end. So many mistakes and could have won. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Indio said:

Well worth the 3-year wait.

Hope Brexitannia gets their problems sorted out overnight so they can be competitive tomorrow.

Yep, I dont want to see ETNZ sailing around by themselves.  

Looks like the Kiwi's are quite a bit faster, but similar to the difference between Oracle and ENTZ at the beginning of the AC in '13. AM could have a chance with some luck and good development. The other 2 look like they are complete garbage.

Just now, pusslicker said:

Looks like the Kiwi's are quite a bit faster, but similar to the difference between Oracle and ENTZ at the beginning of the AC in '13. AM could have a chance with some luck and good development. The other 2 look like they are complete garbage.

faster upwind maybe, but AM looked pretty damn good downwind. Burling owned Barker in the tacking duel. 

• Like 1