The youtube coverage (via urban vpn) has been fantastic.  Nice to watch a sporting event with no commercials.  The commentators each bring separate insights, knowledge and colour to the event.

Colourful insight----Ken Read wants to sell more than six jibs to each team.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick Thoughts after Day 1:   Race 1:  The Kiwi’s completely dominate Italy.  Better start, faster boat, better maneuvers, better everything.  Instant reaction is it is tough to believe that

Learnings for TVNZ live coverage? DON'T RUN THE FUCKING ADS THROUGH THE PRE-START/START!!!!! Muppets. 

Posted Images

Like tip of the cap to Sir Ben - he knows how to place his boat. But that’s never been his problem and everyone respects his on the water abilities. It’s the off the water project management items that seems to be the consistent issue. 

They did everything they needed to win a race today and still got blown away 

13 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Foil design- systems integration- sail control - hydraulic power/human factors. 

the hull barely touches any water and they still lose a 400 m lead and get crossed before the second mark. 

when your boat is slower, less reliable and worse angles - it ain’t the part sitting outside of the water that’s the primary problem. 

In any case they’re fucked - unfortunately because of covid modifying the build up events? There’s no way any of the challengers can make massive changes before the next event - barely 4 weeks tops. The sailors need time on the water. The boat team needs time on the water to get data to validate the improve systems. 

you can’t do that cutting up the boat. 

There is a problem with the hull in low winds. It struggles to get onto its wings. In previous weeks this has been a real problem.  I don’t disagree with what you said, I think they needs new foils, however I think they have used their allocation. However existing foils can be modified and that’s there best bet. They also need to go a boomless design like ETNZ. 

However as you said time is running out. Lucky for them the first round of the Prada cup doesn’t really matter. So they may use some of this time to do testing 

15 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Ok what do you think is the problem then ?

Too much design team input and not enough sailing team input. Their fundamental approach was for the design team to give them a fast design and they would fit into it.

43 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Ok what do you think is the problem then ?

BA plain and simple sure he has the dosh a very talented organisation access to F1 design technology etc etc but I don't think he knows how to spell Team.

Theres something about the guy that reeks of it's all about me and shipping a cargo overloaded with self importance around any race course always knocks off a knot or two.

Has the Frackers rah- rah mantra of "there is no second" transmogrified into "bloody well done old chaps we finished the course".

Thank Tangaroa that at least Amway2go and the Handbags are seemingly competitive imagine what a farce the whole event would have been if S+S had arrived.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

BA plain and simple sure he has the dosh a very talented organisation access to F1 design technology etc etc but I don't think he knows how to spell Team.

Theres something about the guy that reeks of it's all about me and shipping a cargo of overloaded self importance around any race course always knocks off a knot or two.

Has the Frackers rah rah mantra of "there is no second" transmogrified into "well done chaps we finished the course".

I wonder if Ben has enough internal fortitude to do the right thing which is resign his management role. I’d keep him doing the sailing job. 

46 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Yup thanks so much better and far less less painful crikey it's going to be a long regatta with Lester Street and Co banging on ad nauseam.

Maori guy must have popped out to buy some long pants and never returned wise man.

So I tried to watch the YouTube feed (in NZ) instead of TVNZ but was blocked. Has anyone had success in switching between them?

21 hours ago, thetruth said:

I started a bucket list today. Number one, ram my cock so far down Kayleigh's throat that she chokes.....................deranged cunt with no tits (harsh but true)

Far enough to make her nose straight? 

2 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So I tried to watch the YouTube feed (in NZ) instead of TVNZ but was blocked. Has anyone had success in switching between them?

Worked well in Poncenby I am sooo relieved having not to endure that TVNZ migraine inducing puerile juvenile amateur freak show.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Charging people to watch practice races?  Dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

Wtf are you talking about practice race? This is the only survivor of a pandemic series..brought to you by our prime minister who went hard and early.

No dress rehearsal, this is our life.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

Go with the drug users and criminals and use TOR browser.

Problem solved.

11 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Worked well in Poncenby I am sooo relieved having not to endure that TVNZ migraine inducing puerile juvenile amateur freak show.

I'm assuming tvnz have their local "talent" commentating then?

I haven't tried watching it cos as soon as I saw YT has Ken, Shirley and Nathan I had no need to go anywhere else.

• Like 2

Heard commentary that the boat was named after one of Bens' old boats?

Fuck, the ego blocks out the sun.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jaysper said:

I haven't tried watching it cos as soon as I saw YT has Ken, Shirley and Nathan I had no need to go anywhere else.

Ken is the best commentator for this sport.

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Foil design- systems integration- sail control - hydraulic power/human factors. 

the hull barely touches any water and they still lose a 400 m lead and get crossed before the second mark. 

when your boat is slower, less reliable and worse angles - it ain’t the part sitting outside of the water that’s the primary problem. 

In any case they’re fucked - unfortunately because of covid modifying the build up events? There’s no way any of the challengers can make massive changes before the next event - barely 4 weeks tops. The sailors need time on the water. The boat team needs time on the water to get data to validate the improve systems. 

you can’t do that cutting up the boat. 

I suspect most of the drag in these platforms is aero not hydro.  Their apparent wind speeds would be over 50 knots at times.  If the hull's aerodynamics are wrong that will be a major factor in a lack of straightline speed.  If other hulls are generating aerodynamic lift in flight then that unloads the foils and reduces hydro drag as a big bonus.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jaysper said:
16 minutes ago, astro said:

Ken is the best commentator for this sport.

I quite like how they show the conversation with Richard Slater too. Like a couple of mates at the pub.

Just don't let your wife go sailing with him.

4 minutes ago, DickDastardly said:

If the hull's aerodynamics are wrong that will be a major factor in a lack of straightline speed. 

Not as much as the seemingly 4 x 2 they are dragging through the water though.

So what have we learned? AM and LR are competitive with each other. I still think LR are sandbagging. There just doesn’t seem to be much urgency in what LR are doing right now. Even wiping off the start box penalty, Jimmy didn’t seem as enthusiastic as he has in the past. It’s very much been straight forward and matter of fact for them over the last couple of days. Where Dean is sounding and looking like he’s racing in the AC match right now. I think AM will reach peak development early where teams like LR and Ineos (more LR than Ineos) will start to peak toward the end of the Challenger series and leapfrog AM. ETNZ after only a few weeks on the water is undoubtedly the fastest boat on the water right now, BUT Burling needs to get his shit together if he wants to win this thing. Still, he doesn’t have to be on point now, his job is to win in March. ETNZ have had some big wins and only a small loss so that’s encouraging. INEOS is going to be interesting if Ben can get his focus right. They actually looked okay in that last race. Just slow. If they can somehow find speed they might be a boat to watch. How they ended up in this position again is the big question. Simmer is conspicuous by his absence. You’d think a CEO would want to defend his team.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

Would be good to see Glen Ashby do some of the interviews rather than nurdy Pete.! He's dryer than dry..! 

PB interview is like talking to a bot. Whatever question you ask him: "Yeah great. Gotta keep practicing to get better. Team effort. All the best to the guys.We're just gonna keep improving. The cup is what counts. Kiwi fans are great, Great to have the support at home."

No more PB interviews needed for this cup cycle. Just drive the boat Pete.

• Like 2

They should, for the sake of the team and the event, keep Burling off camera.  It's embarrassing, adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse.

Edit: These skipper interviews hark from the days when the skipper was the most adult, polished person on the boat.  Now we have Burling who is a gifted sailor, isn't that enough?  He obviously does not enjoy the media job.  Just let him sail FFS!

4 minutes ago, astro said:

They should, for the sake of the team and the event, keep Burling off camera.  It's embarrassing, adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse.

Who cares what he sounds like? His results speak for themselves!

Better than hearing Jimmy talk shit for years until he gets his ass kicked and suddenly ditches the fake persona and starts acting like a gentleman. Pete is what he is. What you see is what you get. He does his talking on the water, where it matters. This isn't WWE. Catch phrases and promo's don't matter. Its sport, where the only thing that matters is being the best. And right now, he is the best.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Forourselves said:
9 minutes ago, astro said:

Who cares what he sounds like? His results speak for themselves!

Better than hearing Jimmy talk shit for years until he gets his ass kicked and suddenly ditches the fake persona and starts acting like a gentleman. Pete is what he is. What you see is what you get. He does his talking on the water, where it matters. This isn't WWE. Catch phrases and promo's don't matter. Its sport, where the only thing that matters is being the best. And right now, he is the best.

Seriously WTF.

How many fucking words do you want to use to say the same thing as I did.

6 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Clarkey that from even you is a pearler:D

Basher Ben to Junk up the Planet Jim “hi Boss we’re looking ok just a bit slow”.

Another insightful contribution from you... keep sitting on that fence fair weather fan.

3 minutes ago, astro said:

Seriously WTF.

How many fucking words do you want to use to say the same thing as I did.

If you think " It's embarrassing, adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse" and "Pete is what he is. What you see is what you get. He does his talking on the water, where it matters" are the same thing, you need to go back to school.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, astro said:

Edit: These skipper interviews hark from the days when the skipper was the most adult, polished person on the boat.  Now we have Burling who is a gifted sailor, isn't that enough?  He obviously does not enjoy the media job.  Just let him sail FFS!

Hey is the perfect interviewee from ETNZs point of view I suspect.

Says a bunch of words without actually saying anything.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

If you think " It's embarrassing, adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse" and "Pete is what he is. What you see is what you get. He does his talking on the water, where it matters" are the same thing, you need to go back to school.

Same thing.  You admitted he is no media personality and just let him sail.

But it is ridiculous giving him a microphone.  He makes an evasive politician look positively insightful.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, astro said:

Heard commentary that the boat was named after one of Bens' old boats?

Fuck, the ego blocks out the sun.

I think you’ll find that Ben’s old boat was named Rita as a shortening of Britannia, therefore a sign of respect for a great sea faring nation (albeit the the nation who has lost the Americas Cup the most).

3 minutes ago, astro said:

Same thing.  You admitted he is no media personality and just let him sail.

But it is ridiculous giving him a microphone.  He makes an evasive politician look positively insightful.

I never said he had no personality. Not that personality even matters. Results matter. Personality doesn't.

Just now, Ex-yachtie said:

I think you’ll find that Ben’s old boat was named Rita as a shortening of Britannia, therefore a sign of respect for a great sea faring nation (albeit the the nation who has lost the Americas Cup the most).

Rules the waves and all that?

It's hard to make up a more inappropriate combination than this one.  Echoes of Colonialism, rape and pillage, genocide ... combined with the Oil and Gas industry killing the fuckng planet.

Nice work Ben.

3 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

So more of a oxymoron than anything else.

1 minute ago, Forourselves said:

I never said he had no personality. Not that personality even matters. Results matter. Personality doesn't.

Of course, so as him to "step away from the microphone'.

Link me where I said he had 'no personality'. 

Are you for fucking real?  Talk about a spin-bot.

6 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

I think you’ll find that Ben’s old boat was named Rita as a shortening of Britannia,

Finger down throat stuff.

Can't get more out of touch than that.

7 minutes ago, astro said:

Of course, so as him to "step away from the microphone'.

Link me where I said he had 'no personality'. 

Are you for fucking real?  Talk about a spin-bot.

WTF does "Of course, so as him to "step away from the microphone" mean?

You were the one who said " adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse"

Maybe you're the one with Asperger's?

Pete states the obvious. No Bullshit, no fake personalities, no catch phrases or shit slinging, just says it exactly how it is, or how he thinks it is. Thats all you can ask for in an elite athlete like Pete.

• Like 1

PB adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse.

tenor.gif

13 minutes ago, astro said:

PB adds no value, just sounds like someone with Asperger's syndrome after media training that went wrong.  And he is getting worse.

tenor.gif

Remember pistol in bda fronting "one day Yur the rooster, next day the duster" spity in his first big media dustout. 

He's in control.

A few of you dopy cunts might learn something if you actually listened, instead of not hearing what you think Burling should be saying (whatever the fuck that might be). 2 out of 2 today was pretty good, despite his fuck ups, which he owned.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

A few of you dopy cunts might learn something if you actually listened, instead of not hearing what you think Burling should be saying (whatever the fuck that might be). 2 out of 2 today was pretty good, despite his fuck ups, which he owned.

He is a great sailor, keep at it, but his interviews are fucked up.

As much as I hate to admit it, Ben's interviews at least have some content.

35 minutes ago, astro said:

He is a great sailor, keep at it, but his interviews are fucked up.

Hes still got to face Jimmy the fracker yet...he will be crapping himself over that meeting! Ben might find himself doing a few years down in the mines.

Probably shoulda brought both boats down under....

3 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

Ineos foil is just slower. Who designed it ? the kiwi designer ?

Welcome back TC we've missed thought provoking questions like this.

And yes! The boat was designed by some guy call Nick Holroyd. Perhaps you could wikipedia him and report back with what you find.

Also keen on any updates on Sweden's covid situation and also Hydroxychloroquine results.

Appreciation in advance

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

Welcome back TC we've missed thought provoking questions like this.

And yes! The boat was designed by some guy call Nick Holroyd. Perhaps you could wikipedia him and report back with what you find.

Also keen on any updates on Sweden's covid situation and also Hydroxychloroquine results.

Appreciation in advance

Once a kiwi, always a kiwi.....

56 minutes ago, Priscilla said:
1 hour ago, astro said:

Ben's interviews at least have some content.

Mainly blaming others for his shortcomings.

Yeah, but way more interesting.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, astro said:

Basher Ben has a distinct lack of charisma simply put comes across as a self entitled spoiled brat 

Sure he has a closet full of gold but I can’t warm to a grown man that comes across as if the families butler is just out of shot.

4 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Basher Ben has a distinct lack of charisma simply put comes across as a self entitled spoiled brat 

Sure he has a closet full of gold but I can’t warm to a grown man that looks like the families butler is just off shot.

True, he's just not that sort of bloke. BUT... if they can find a way to get Rita up to speed, I think he would make for some challenging races.

For a start, shave the allowable 20% (rule 5.1) off their foil sizes... they are huge compared to NZ's.

1 minute ago, 14berlin said:

In what wind range will we see headsails flown from the sprit? And do they replace the forestay or will they have to furl in every manoeuvre?

Barely foiling speed, so maybe 8 knots, but they are more often using a J1 instead. Yes, forestay is removed.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Yup thanks so much better and far less less painful crikey it's going to be a long regatta with Lester Street and Co banging on ad nauseam.

Maori guy must have popped out to buy some long pants and never returned wise man.

Funniest thing I’ve read today ! Yes why the token Maori ? And Street ? And compulsory white shoes for everyone too. Funny as !

Ben was quite well behaved today. Jimmy just takes control of the platform and says it straight "The Challengers have a lot of work to do, New Zealand are a lot faster.!" Sounds like the Race Committee have a lot of work to do. The Shore Teams have stupid amounts of work to do.! Was good to hear the well know Italian Voice from the duo who give us those fantastic insights into the boats, sometimes in English too if we are lucky. There's something for everyone in this presser..! And there's Pistol Pete "For us" Burling doing his best not to give an answer to a question. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Forourselves said:

So what have we learned? AM and LR are competitive with each other. I still think LR are sandbagging. There just doesn’t seem to be much urgency in what LR are doing right now. Even wiping off the start box penalty, Jimmy didn’t seem as enthusiastic as he has in the past. It’s very much been straight forward and matter of fact for them over the last couple of days. Where Dean is sounding and looking like he’s racing in the AC match right now. I think AM will reach peak development early where teams like LR and Ineos (more LR than Ineos) will start to peak toward the end of the Challenger series and leapfrog AM. ETNZ after only a few weeks on the water is undoubtedly the fastest boat on the water right now, BUT Burling needs to get his shit together if he wants to win this thing. Still, he doesn’t have to be on point now, his job is to win in March. ETNZ have had some big wins and only a small loss so that’s encouraging. INEOS is going to be interesting if Ben can get his focus right. They actually looked okay in that last race. Just slow. If they can somehow find speed they might be a boat to watch. How they ended up in this position again is the big question. Simmer is conspicuous by his absence. You’d think a CEO would want to defend his team.

ETNZ’s foils look noticeably smaller than some of the others so that they are focused on speed over lift.  It does seem clear that it is taking them a while to get up when they fall off the foils in pre-starts but at this stage the raw straightline speed makes up for it. 

Random observations / comments: really enjoying seeing Dean Barker doing well. Loved his comment “if in doubt, blame the boat!” re: the dodgy tack. He seems at ease. Personally, I  hope they make it to they Cup final. Jimmy back to his old tricks! Felt like he was shit stirring in today’s (day 2) press conference with comment re: FCS. Also his comment about Dean Barker’s age and old school match racing - sledging or are they good enough mates to make comments like this? Ben Ainsly was a right dick yesterday,  but in much better form today. Always felt like the Ineos boat looked like a dog though, counter intuitive. Don’t reckon they’ll get up to speed. No runners on Prada - can’t believe I didn’t catch this! Explains the crazy kinked head stay sag. The Prada boat by far the best looking on the track. Also the old school grinders on NYYC boat remind me of the grinders on the 12 meters. Weirdly I love this. Finally, so epic watching full races the onboard video option with full audio. The tension and the urgency in the crew’s voices is very obvious.These boats are intense! Also visually much more elegant than the cats. The footage of them bow-to-bow is stunning, as are the aerial views. Great mix of grace and high tech. So far so good, loving this cup!

• Like 1

Great to see Jimmy at the presser - always worth a few choice sound bites. Think he's over doing the edge NZ has. Yes they have a bit of an edge, but not as much as he's implying. A bit of gamesmanship going on there. PB knew it, and didn't buy into it.

• Like 1

What would it take for one of these so-called reporters/journos at the pressers for one of them to ask Jimmy what he really thinks of their twin-helming operation? Does it detract from his instinctive reaction and response in pre-starts? How does it work - when does Bruni surrender full control to him, and vice versa? A journo can make him- or herself look very "with-it" by asking these types of questions.

I sense that Jimmy would rather he helmed on his own.

3 hours ago, astro said:

He (Burling) is a great sailor, but his interviews are fucked up.

2 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Mainly blaming others for his shortcomings.

2 hours ago, astro said:

Trumpesk, IOW?

10 minutes ago, Indio said:

I'm pretty sure I heard one of the commentators on the youtube state that Race 7 between AM and LR was over 8 legs, and Race 8 betwen ETNZ and Brexitannia was over 6 legs. Did I hear correctly??

Yeah, the breeze was still up from LR AM race 2.

Is anyone else thinking that the 'penalty' amount of a 50m is way too small? 

For example, in the pre-start, if you got luffed or came off your foils to avoid a penalty, the repercussions could  be a loss of 200m+ trying to get going again. In some scenarios, teams would be better off to just ignore the other boat (obviously without hitting them), prioritising to keep on the foils and accept the 50m penalty.

Another example, by memory, was yesterday when LR paid their penalty just after the start by simply making their first up-wind tack early. As they lost 50m in the turn their penalty was cleared. But this could potentially save a boat a tack later on in the leg.

Doesn't seem like they have the balance quite right yet...

• Like 2