Just a topic for discussion.

While doing a random search I ran across a guy selling a trailer, in the photo was a cool looking boat I did not recognize. So I asked what it was, a Gilbert 30+.

Well that sent me down a rabbit hole.

Link to info and history

Apparently Mr Gilbert worked for C&C then ventured out on his own, only about 9 of these were made, finding one on the used market is not likely.

It has an interesting under deck routing for most of the control lines, I wonder how that works.

IMG_0662.JPG?format=1500w

Gilbert+30+Brochure+Two+Page+3.jpg?forma

The Gilbert 30's appearance and interior certainly appear influenced by the C&C 30-2 (possibly the result of Neil's time spent at C&C), but as bmiller's noted, the deck layout is kinda different, with halyards and control lines leading through covered troughs to the cockpit primaries.  Also, the hull has much more volume more suited to it's cruising mandate than the 30-2.

Not apparent from the pics but also quite unique is the rig with it's massive mainsail and self-tacking blade.

image.thumb.png.a417a3153da7b9bf9055d633d2fe6f21.png

There's one at our club, and another dropped by a few years ago for an on-the-water tango.  Its not my style of sailing video, but it shows the unique rig layout pretty well...

Cheers!

Deck stepped mast with compression post? The rig is quite far forward, and the forward cabin is forward of that, making me wonder how big the vee berth can be, stuffed up into the eyes of the boat that way. They had to raise it quite a bit to get a bit of foot room.

i like the use of space amidship, and the fit and finish looks quite good.

it's a handsome boat. I like the fractional rig on a boat that size. I'll bet it's cake to sail.

6 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Deck stepped mast with compression post? The rig is quite far forward, and the forward cabin is forward of that, making me wonder how big the vee berth can be, stuffed up into the eyes of the boat that way. They had to raise it quite a bit to get a bit of foot room.

i like the use of space amidship, and the fit and finish looks quite good.

it's a handsome boat. I like the fractional rig on a boat that size. I'll bet it's cake to sail.

It's not a V berth it's parallelogram  berth!  It is open to the cabin with that seat of to the side...easy to get into. It's a great single, if it was mine and i was solo it would be where i slept.

• Like 1

Interesting layout.

Gilbert+30+Brochure+One+Page+2.jpg?forma

It looks like it may have some of the same issues as the C&C 30-2. I'd like to see one in person.

I spent some time in the aft cabin of a 30-2 rebedding the aft chainplates for the backstay, and it was extremely tight. I was in there without a mattress, so with mattress the person under the cockpit had zero room to turn over. The V-berth was too short for most adults, but the rest of the cabin was pleasant.

2 hours ago, chester said:

It's not a V berth it's parallelogram  berth!  It is open to the cabin with that seat of to the side...easy to get into. It's a great single, if it was mine and i was solo it would be where i slept.

ok, so it's a single, makes sense.

i would not attempt to sleep forward of the mast offshore singlehanding. And not in that bunk on starboard tack.

i like it a lot as a single at anchor. 

Yanno, there has to be a 30'er that's NOT designed  for 3-4-5, that's just designed for a couple who love each other to cruise graciously.

The perfect boat. 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner.

Sleeps 2

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Cruisin Loser said:

ok, so it's a single, makes sense.

i would not attempt to sleep forward of the mast offshore singlehanding. And not in that bunk on starboard tack.

i like it a lot as a single at anchor. 

Yanno, there has to be a 30'er that's NOT designed  for 3-4-5, that's just designed for a couple who love each other to cruise graciously.

The perfect boat. 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner.

Sleeps 2

J32 does an admirable job of that, except for the 32 feet.