Far more appealing than whatever route ocean race takes. Less of a locus Olympic style event where sponsor also competition have financial interest in getting the boats near shore for indifferent public to go look a boat. 

10 hours ago, The Weatherman said:

only doubt is the limitation for boat dimension... why? I think that in the 50 ft range there are several potential contenders.

I wonder if they would be flexible if something like the 56ft Black Pearl wanted to enter?  

It says "over" 60ft so are they trying to exclude older IMOCAs?  A 2012 vintage IMOCA woulld probably be the most cost-effective boat for a corinthian campaign.

Not sure I would trust my life to hydraulics in the southern ocean but it would defintely be interesting if something like a big Wally or Swan entered.

• Like 1

In the NOR there's a reference to IMOCAs being allowed to use outriggers if they have deck spreaders, so I guess they can participate.

Anyone thinking about a Corinthian campaign should take a close look at the entry fee first: 200k € plus LOA x 3000€. I hope LOA is in ms for this purpose, not ft... Is this a common fee level for this type of race?

On 11/7/2020 at 6:51 AM, The Weatherman said:

No idea who is behind that but it’s not really the best period to launch a new format.

The race director is Andrew Cape, which I think is fantastic :D

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NZK said:

Is there a 'Boatyard' style support package for entrants at each stopover or is that entry fee just for your commemorative t-shirts??

I don't think there will be much infrastructure - the course itself doesn't send the fleet to particularly unfriendly locales and they probably need minimal logistical support all things considered. No one is being asked to cross the equator twice to go up a brown river to sell trucks.

25 minutes ago, pnwer said:

Entry fee seems a bit prohibitive. Am I missing something?

€200k + (yacht LOA x €3000) .... or €380,000

Makes the thousand or so dollars for the Sydney Hobart almost seem reasonable. Then again, to most people that own or sponsor an ocean racer that's over 60ft, 400k euros is chump change. Hopefully they get a t-shirt thrown in for that price. 

Yes, if they want people to participate, then that entry fee needs to change.  Maybe I’m mistaken, but the appeal of this concept on the surface is to have a race where Corinthian boats have an opportunity to do an around the world race.  The cost of doing this is already prohibitive in terms of real cost and the time required to compete.  Adding several hundred thousand dollars to that just to make your sail “official” is a bit much. 

Ehhh I don’t think there’s anything excessive about the entry fee - who wants the association of shit boat barely able to pay the bills and crew that sinks in the first sign of any kind of sea state. It deters shit entries. 

I have no idea if the entry fee is reasonable or not but having been a race promoter in endurance sports I can say race entry fees were always too high in the eyes of racers but never high enough for me to count on some semblance of a profit.  I'm assuming this is the same.  The promoter needs some expectation to make putting on the race worth their time and also convince the participants that the fee is worth while.  

Theres got to be fixed costs involved in running the stop overs, organising weather etc, as it states after 8 competitors the fees will be refunded proportionally up to the max of 14. I feel like this race is aiming for the Wizards of this world (V70s etc).

• Like 1