Vacuum Cleaner recommendation

Mrs. Bull just now declared that she wants a new vacuum cleaner because the one we have is too noisy. I silently jumped for joy, because I hate our vacuum cleaner for the very same reason. I have to leave the house whenever she vacuums.

I am looking for recommendation.

• We have hardwood floors and rugs downstairs, and carpet upstairs, and on steps.
  • Canisters are out. Upright is preferred, and would consider a cordless stick.
  • We are not clean freaks, but want a good job.
  • Noise is a consideration.
  • Willing to spend a few hundred.

Thanks,

B.C.

Install a Central Vac System, be more than a few hundred though.

We have dogs, we had a Dyson Animal 1, and just got a Dyson Animal 2.  Just spent an hour and a half vacuuming the house (wood, tile, carpet). I don't have to adjust the height it's automatic, the cord is so long that I can reach every room in the house, except one, from one outlet. It sucks too good, small rugs and orientals cause the roller brush to trip, have to wait 5 minutes before it re-sets itself. The 2 is wider than the 1 so it takes less time to vacuum.  It's an upright.

I do miss the disposable bags, every vacuum we have had for years now you dump the dirt/hair into the garbage can and the garbage can is a mess.

• Like 1

Bull, we needed a new vacuum a few years ago and my wife ended up buying a ridiculously expensive German Miele canister vacuum and we hated it and returned it. We have a mix of hardwood, rugs and thick carpet in the basement. So we needed something versatile but also light weight enough to haul up and down two sets of stairs. 

We ended up with a Shark lift away. It is an upright that comes apart to act like a canister. It's lightweight, powerful enough to handle messes from two kids and a dog, as well as after we watch two other dogs as well. Ours is a Rotator professional model? but it looks like they have several different versions now, so I'm not sure how the current lineup compares to what we have. It seems a lot less substantial than our previous Hoovers or the Miele, but it's held up to a lot of abuse. 

As far as noise, it's quieter than our old Hoovers, way quieter than my parent's ancient thing they got as a wedding gift and still works. I forget what that thing is but it sounds like a jet engine.... 

• Like 1

Built in - it's worth the money.

Our current house was plumbed for it when we bought and I picked up a Hoover system from Costco for about $400 to complete it.

Some of the best money I ever spent.

• Like 1

I hate to say this because I think their shit is overpriced, overstyled, and overhyped, but we bought a Dyson Stick and I don't regret it. Specifically, we bought this one from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/dyson-v11-animal+-cordless-stick-vacuum-cleaner.product.100522549.html

I would never in a million years have done this myself but my wife, who's extremely low maintenance and seldom buys high-ticket items, asked for one. For her birthday. I mean, how do you object at that point?

The suction is good, the carpet brush is good, and the battery life is good at 30-45 minutes. One of the unforeseen benefits of having a lightweight, cordless, but powerful vacuum hanging on the wall at the ready is that it gets used a lot more so shit doesn't get out of control. It's also got enough bullshit capitalist cache that my teenage slob daughter actually uses it too, so her room is marginally less disgusting. 

Six months in, the jury's still out on its durability but it's getting used heavily and holding up well so far. 

• Like 3

We have a fairly cheap stand-up Bissell Power-Groom, 2X Cyclonic action bagless machine, probably from Walmart.  Missus BB vacuums up a whole cat sized blob of hair once or twice a week, so works fine for our needs.  Better yet, we have several wonderful women who deep clean the whole 1400 SF house every third week for a hundred bucks. They spend about 6 person hours each time, so good value, IMHO..

Our reasonably priced relatively new vacuum cleaner packed up during lockdown and due to Covid I could not return it. I had a work Festool vacuum sitting in the garage and after the missus gave it a try she immediately wanted one for the house. It will probably last longer than me and with 4 cats and 260m2 tiled/timber floors it is an absolute winner.

6 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Hoover.... they have been doing this shit for years...

I heard gramps telling his friends a while back that on a recent date with one of his girlfriends she gave him a Hoover. 

Weird, the house keepers are still using the same old vacuum 

7 minutes ago, VWAP said:

I heard gramps telling his friends a while back that on a recent date with one of his girlfriends she gave him a Hoover. 

Weird, the house keepers are still using the same old vacuum 

In our dreams, VWAP! In our dreams!!

image.png.c95ad219dc5be78e3ef2816cf2649cd0.png

Central vacuum is worth the investment.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I juste laffte meselfe silley........                  Ime am fuckte......                :)

LOL!  Dual Bagger!!??  Is that like a "butterface".  Or banging a fat chick, is like riding a minibike?  It's all good fun, until your friends see you!!  ??

MUCHO!  Apologies to all of the larger women of the world, especially the ones we call our friends!!!

8 minutes ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Don’t know about Whole House vacuums. Our new old house has one, and it works well, but that hose is a heavy pain in the ass.  I find myself using the upright Bissel most.

However, the Roomba is just the Tits. 

You oure a spoilled pricke, you reeallize that ritte?                                               :)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

You oure a spoilled pricke, you reeallize that ritte?                                               :)

Why Snags, I didn’t think you cared...

And can one truly be spoiled when he’s dragging around 30’ of heavy assed hose, pushin’ an upright, or cleaning out the Roomba’s guts? Vacuuming his life away? While the Princess works on her sewing?  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Mrleft8 said:

Central vacuum is worth the investment.

So we have the in-wall infrastructure.  But dragging the long hose around and around given current battery and "sucking" technology.  Just seems really old schooll.

So new school me then on what you are seeing and I am missing.

1 minute ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:
22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

And can one truly be spoiled when he’s dragging around 30’ of heavy assed hose, pushin’ an upright, or cleaning out the Roomba’s guts? Vacuuming his life away? While the Princess works on her sewing?  

I wase postiurreng foire the mrs, , she wase fresh on the sentte aftere poeste # 9.......             my worldes oure colliddeng.................             :)

2 minutes ago, sail69 said:

So we have the in-wall infrastructure.  But dragging the long hose around and around given current battery and "sucking" technology.  Just seems really old schooll.

So new school me then on what you are seeing and I am missing. 

Don't do it!!  Dragging a long hose around is so last decades!!!  Get one of the new cordless stick lightweight, and-or do like we have been doing since we moved in here last February, hire a pro team, for deep cleaning once a month or sooner.  You won't regret it!!  40 years ago we house sat two Gordon Setters at a house with whole house, and it DID NOT SUCK! Meaning that it sucked as a decent vacuum cleaner, in a house with two setters who shed a metric shit ton of hair every month...

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I wase postiurreng foire the mrs, , she wase fresh on the sentte aftere poeste # 9.......             my worldes oure colliddeng.................             :)

De nada, Snags. You could call me anything, except late to dinner, and I’d still laugh.

• Like 1

I recommend a shark canister and get one for every floor.

We have a light weight shark and a large heavy kirby.  The kirby works well but is so heavy it seldom gets dragged out.  The shark is upstairs behind a bedroom door.  It can clean the hardwoods and area rugs in a few minutes.  And you dump the canister when done.

Light weight means it gets used more.

Considered a roomba but our floors are 150 years old hardwood.  Most boards are also over 12 inches wide.  That also means they are about as level as a politician

6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

thisse holle topice suckes!                                                   :)

uoi 1 keyboard

I'm not a dual bagger, but have had a Dyson cordless stick thing for 4 years, and it works very well.  I lived (live) alone in small spaces, cottages etc... so it doesn't run out of battery.  In a big house it would. 

An added benefit is the little brush attachment so I can extract the crud from my PC keyboards.  And no, there isn't an intimate vibrate attachment (as far as I know).

Had a dyson stick for about 5 years. Worked fine but overpriced. Battery finally went 100% Tango Uniform. Prior comment about you use it more if it's easy to get out is spot on. I may pick up a Ryobi at some point 'cause I've got a billion of those 18v batteries and I really didn't like the Milwaukee stick vacuum (I have less of those batteries, but they're better)

Had a dyson upright. SWMBO thought it was too heavy. Now vacuums my neighbor's carpeted garage. 

Have a shark upright. Sucks as well as the dyson. Loads cheaper. Lighter. SWMBO likes it. 

We have a Dyson upright.  Works fine.  Only complaint is that the cord is too short.  We don’t have a big house (under 1700 sq ft) and I have to unplug it several times to try and clean the house.

Also have a Dyson stick. It gets much more use than the upright. Great for quick cleanups. Don’t think I’d rely on it as my only vac.  Early on it is life it wouldn’t stay running. Runs for a few seconds, then stop. Depress the trigger, run for a few seconds, then stop.  Saw a video that sometimes the battery pack worked itself loose.  Now I have 2 wire ties holding the battery in place.  Problem generally solved.

Our current house has central vac.  I use it in the garage when I’m cleaning the cars, and I use it in my shop as a poor mans dust collection system. That’s it.

have a corded dyson ball that we brought with us from the previous house.  It’s sits in the “mechanical” space area in the house,  gets used a few times a year in the basement  usually before/after a party.

mom and dad got a new dyson stick and gave me their old dyson stick v8i think , that  was acting up.  A new battery and it’s been going strong for half a dozen years.  I use the shit out of it.   I would recommend a dyson stick of the current model.

I own 8 vacuums. At home an upright for upstairs, a very small dirt devil for stairs, a canister for down stairs and a shop vac in the garage. At the shop 2 smaller eurekas, another shop vac and my Festool. 

This is great. Thank you. So it sounds like you fuckers do a lot of the housework. I do most of the cooking but almost no vacuuming.

Here's a husband-wife issue: Our current vacuum has a nice way to coil the cord around two horns. One of them swivels, so you can grab the whole coil off it. Of course, I coil the cord around both horns. Not Mrs. Bull, she makes a rat nest and just snags it on the top horn.

Very unseamanlike.

2 minutes ago, Al Paca said:

I own 8 vacuums. At home an upright for upstairs, a very small dirt devil for stairs, a canister for down stairs and a shop vac in the garage. At the shop 2 smaller eurekas, another shop vac and my Festool. 

You are mad.

The really nice thing about the central vac is that it not only blows the exhaust fumes into to garage/outside, but you don't get the dust up from the exhaust, and have to chase it around the room.

I remember that every time my mother vacuumed the house, as a kid, the house   smelled like wet dog for a day.

• Like 2

We have 2 Pyrs... industrial grade shedding machines and dirt transport systems...the wife just scored a ten year old Kirby with all the attachments on Craigslist for $80, I replaced the belt and the beater bar with the pet hair one. We've done the Dyson, Shark, etc...they've all crapped out after a couple years at best. This thing is built like a tank, yeah, it's heavy, but you need the exercise anyway. Last vacuum you will buy. No point in buying new, they haven't changed the mechanicals for over 20 years, just cosmetic changes every few years.

2 hours ago, peragrin said:

Considered a roomba but our floors are 150 years old hardwood.  Most boards are also over 12 inches wide.  That also means they are about as level as a politician

Our two/ three year old Roomba routinely climbs over a 3/4" high stick, so it can get into the walk-in shower and spend the rest of it's battery charge in the 3x6' enclosure.  I try and set the stick on it's 1 1/2" edge, but... somehow... someone... it ends up on the flat side. 

When I was working in the corporate office, pre-Wuh Flu, the Roomba automatically vacuumed everyday.  It actually kept ahead of the German Shepherd/ Husky Fuzz Factory. 

2 hours ago, Bull City said:

This is great. Thank you. So it sounds like you fuckers do a lot of the housework. I do most of the cooking but almost no vacuuming.

Here's a husband-wife issue: Our current vacuum has a nice way to coil the cord around two horns. One of them swivels, so you can grab the whole coil off it. Of course, I coil the cord around both horns. Not Mrs. Bull, she makes a rat nest and just snags it on the top horn.

Very unseamanlike.

This is the best possible argument for a battery powered vac, though you could also go with a standard unit with an autowind cord. Problem is, they tend to get weak after a while and then you just end up with a vacuum with the equivalent of a prolapsed rectum. 

You'll never change her, nor should you try, so just forget about that if you haven't already.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Thread needs some drift...

the Admiral is a clean nut.

Should have seen her freak out the time I cleaned the deck and lanai with a leaf blower ala grounds keeper Carl Spatz in Caddy Shack...

Used to buy only Hoover commercial units. They kind used in hotels as she could burn up anything else.

They can be rebuilt every couple of years and the motors do not die like consumer units.

You can get 20 years out of one with periodic rebuilds.

But they are larger than normal and a bit heavy.

When we downsized houses, she wanted to try something lighter. House has hardwood floors, tile, area rugs and a couple rooms with wall to wall carpet.

Got her a Shark.   First time she did a rug that had just been vacuumed with her Hoover and it picked up about a half its debris cup of dirt and dog fur.  by the time she did the whole house, she had emptied that debris cup twice.  That was the end of the Hoover.  Been 7 years and the shark is still working like new.

Just augmented that with a Bissell Proheat 2X Revolution Pet Pro carpet cleaner.

Absolute superior product compared to those rental units for carpet cleaning.  Was 1 day old when Henry the puppy decided to acid test it.  Likely saved him getting a spanking as once the unit had done its job, you could not tell where the little bugger decided to drop a deuce in the living room oriental rug which I accidentally walked on and spread it before noting something was amiss.

4 hours ago, Bull City said:

You are mad.

I respectfully disagree. If one has the means to acquire the festool vacuum... The festool vacuum is the vacuum to rule them all. 

However, it is not for cleaning carpets. But hooked to a sander it is bliss on casters. (I do not have the means, but I have experienced what those folks on the other side of the tracks get. My sander gets hooked to the damn HF jet engine with a Thiel separator and outside venting.....)

I bought Mrs Squirrel 2 Eufy 30C robotic vacuums - 1 for upstairs and 1 for the main floor.  We do not have a single piece of carpet or rug in the house so they work awesome.  They may not get every inch every day, but they always find their way home so they are charged and ready to go the next day.

MS

19 hours ago, Dorado said:

Get one that has a maid attached to the handle. It's much easier.

Comes with a guarantee. Of marital pain.

13 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

For you spoilled  prickes with central vacuums, is there some sort of trolley to handle the hose?  That would make it a couple of shitloads easier. 

See above.

18 hours ago, IStream said:

I hate to say this because I think their shit is overpriced, overstyled, and overhyped, but we bought a Dyson Stick and I don't regret it. Specifically, we bought this one from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/dyson-v11-animal+-cordless-stick-vacuum-cleaner.product.100522549.html

I would never in a million years have done this myself but my wife, who's extremely low maintenance and seldom buys high-ticket items, asked for one. For her birthday. I mean, how do you object at that point?

The suction is good, the carpet brush is good, and the battery life is good at 30-45 minutes. One of the unforeseen benefits of having a lightweight, cordless, but powerful vacuum hanging on the wall at the ready is that it gets used a lot more so shit doesn't get out of control. It's also got enough bullshit capitalist cache that my teenage slob daughter actually uses it too, so her room is marginally less disgusting. 

Six months in, the jury's still out on its durability but it's getting used heavily and holding up well so far. 

How would rate the noise level?

A vacuum is only as good as its filter / canister.   Otherwise you are just sucking stuff off the floor and blowing it around.  Generally the 'bigger' particles get trapped.  The smaller ones don't.  

A central vacuum system with the canister outside the house (typically in the garage) gets around that by ensuring all those very fine particles that would not get trapped in the bag / canister get blown out to the garage.  I think that leads to improved indoor air quality.  

• Like 1

We recently bought one of the Dyson stick cordless vacs on sale. It was last year's model so it was a better price, still a bit more $200 though. It's been great simply because it's so easy to use, there's no procrastination inertia to grab it and give the rugs and floors a quick sweep. Full disclosure: we no longer have any pets. I can't vouch for it's ability to deal with couple of dogs who shed a lot. Otherwise we are real happy with our purchase. 

I know you said no canisters but you might want to check out the Miele canister vacs with filter bags and true HEPA filters. I didnt want a canister either but these are easy to move around and the retractable cord is awesome.  Very quiet and don't dump crap back into the air.  Depending on the model you get very good cleaning of hard surfaces and carpet.  A bit spendy compared to some of the others but we thought it was worth if for significantly cleaner air and quiet operation.  Find a shop that demos them... 

1 hour ago, Bull City said:

Not quiet, but not loud. I'd estimate about 6dB lower than a standard upright vac, which is a significant difference for the better. Also, it's designed around a small impeller running at high speed rather than a large impeller running at lower speed, so the sound tends towards the higher frequencies. 

13 minutes ago, yoyo said:

I know you said no canisters but you might want to check out the Miele canister vacs with filter bags and true HEPA filters. I didnt want a canister either but these are easy to move around and the retractable cord is awesome.  Very quiet and don't dump crap back into the air.  Depending on the model you get very good cleaning of hard surfaces and carpet.  A bit spendy compared to some of the others but we thought it was worth if for significantly cleaner air and quiet operation.  Find a shop that demos them... 

I’ll second the Miele product but I’ve got the traditional floor dolly w retractable chord.

The chord is long, big button you can use w your foot and works flawlessly... on off by foot, very quiet, light enough to carry for stairs, air filter, bags, two or three attachments for floors rugs etc., upright storage.

I used to use one of the early Dyson full size models, and this one is easier and lighter to move around. Suction and performance about the same...can’t speak for the new gen battery stuff coming out these days but some of it looks interesting...

10 hours ago, gptyk said:

I respectfully disagree. If one has the means to acquire the festool vacuum... The festool vacuum is the vacuum to rule them all. 

However, it is not for cleaning carpets. But hooked to a sander it is bliss on casters. (I do not have the means, but I have experienced what those folks on the other side of the tracks get. My sander gets hooked to the damn HF jet engine with a Thiel separator and outside venting.....)

Sigh. I just paid Festool's service techs $175 to completely rebuild my LS130 linear sander. Which is outrageous, and I'll do it again in another four years, and again four years after that. Hard to explain how a thing can be both stupidly overpriced and worth every penny, but Festool stuff is all that.

Electrolux makes/made the best household vac I've ever used, but they share all the negatives of canister designs. We have a Hoover 'wind tunnel' upright which is okay, but not much more than okay. No consumables, which is nice. 

5 hours ago, Bull City said:

The boost modes on the dyson sticks (have v6, v10) are noticeably louder than “normal” and more power consumptive. Unless you go for the higher end models the sticks likely don’t have enough dirt bin capacity to be replacements for a regular vacuum (v6=.11 gallon, v10 & v11 = .2gallon, v11 outsize=.5 gallon) 

While on this rather strange and  sailing-divergent  pursuit..../. Anyone found a great corded 12 volt vacuum that's compact?

We need to find a new one ... at about 1/3rd  of the way along our circumnavigation. 

IMG_4514 small.JPG

1 hour ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

Unless you go for the higher end models the sticks likely don’t have enough dirt bin capacity to be replacements for a regular vacuum (v6=.11 gallon, v10 & v11 = .2gallon, v11 outsize=.5 gallon) 

But they are so easy and fast to empty, it's not a problem IMO. 

This has been very enjoyable to read. Here are the ones that seem to fit:

• Dyson Animal Plug-in
  • Shark Lift Away Rotator Professional
  • Shark Duo Clean
  • Dyson Stick V11
  • Bissell Power-Groom, 2X Cyclonic action bagless machine

We don't have any pets, so no massive shedding. We're not going to install a central system, and we're not going to lug a canister. I like the idea of the stick over an upright. I don't think we have ever done the entire house at once, so a 60 minute life like the Dyson would probably be fine, but I'll have to check with Mrs. Bull. IStream, thanks for weighing in on the Dyson for noise, etc. BTW, Mrs. Bull is very low maintenance too. 

How would you all rate the noise level of the others? Jet engine? Ear protection definitely required? Not too bad?

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. It's been very helpful.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Bull City said:

This has been very enjoyable to read. Here are the ones that seem to fit:

• Dyson Animal Plug-in
  • Shark Lift Away Rotator Professional
  • Shark Duo Clean
  • Dyson Stick V11
  • Bissell Power-Groom, 2X Cyclonic action bagless machine

We don't have any pets, so no massive shedding. We're not going to install a central system, and we're not going to lug a canister. I like the idea of the stick over an upright. I don't think we have ever done the entire house at once, so a 60 minute life like the Dyson would probably be fine, but I'll have to check with Mrs. Bull. IStream, thanks for weighing in on the Dyson for noise, etc. BTW, Mrs. Bull is very low maintenance too. 

How would you all rate the noise level of the others? Jet engine? Ear protection definitely required? Not too bad?

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations. It's been very helpful.

That's what we have, as posted above, and very happy with it!  Relatively inexpensive, powerful and not too loud.  A couple of times Missus BB was able make the cover over the beater bar fall off, when a screw came loose, and she had been using it more aggressively than normal, and I always was able to put it back together in just a few minutes... 

• 4 months later...

After studying Consumer Reports, and noting that this one was rated best on noise, Mrs. Bull decided on:

Shark Rotator Professional Upright Corded Bagless Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floor with Lift-Away Hand Vacuum and Anti-Allergy Seal (NV501), White with Red Chrome

Kind of a mouthful, so I think will just refer to it as "the shark" or the "vacuum." We tried to look at and listen to one one at Home Depot, but they didn't have a demo. So we took a chance and ordered one. It should be silently Hoovering up dirt by Tuesday.

• Like 1

Hope you and Mrs. Bull like it. What you ordered sounds similar to what we have minus the allergy seal. If it starts to smell musty, there is a washable foam filter under the cartridge that needs the occasional washing out. 

• Like 1

indeed , and like most things these days ...sorting the wheat from the chaff is difficult

• Like 1

Is there something wrong with the members of SA, here is a perfectly innocent subject about vacuum cleaners and within 8 posts it is a clone of "National Cleavage Day":wub::wub:

What took you so long????;)

• Like 1
On 11/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, fufkin said:

I’ll second the Miele product but I’ve got the traditional floor dolly w retractable chord.

The chord is long, big button you can use w your foot and works flawlessly... on off by foot, very quiet, light enough to carry for stairs, air filter, bags, two or three attachments for floors rugs etc., upright storage.

I used to use one of the early Dyson full size models, and this one is easier and lighter to move around. Suction and performance about the same...can’t speak for the new gen battery stuff coming out these days but some of it looks interesting...

I really like our Miele too. Excellent machine.

• 4 months later...
On 3/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Bull City said:

The Shark arrived today! It went together easily. It is soooo quiet. Mrs. Bull is pleased. 

Mrs. Bull is still pleased. Loves the bagless concept. I am pleased. Money well spent.

• Like 1