Whitall Stokes and Sparrow Depart on Solo Circumnavigation

Pretty cool boat and course. Should allow human power though. Sitting on your ass with no wind and not being able to paddle or row is stupid. It’s not even “old school “, it has a purpose for gentleman’s racing but shouldn’t be the default anymore  for distance racing. 

• Like 1

That's an old 'Pegasus", they put in a much bigger rig than open 50 class allowed

I might be getting my info crossed but I think this is the orig. Pegasus that Brad VL used for his first Around Alone that was originally built in '94.  That much older boat is not to be confused with ex-Artforms (must faster later generation O50) that also got the turbo'd rig when it did Hawaii races doublehanded.

On the website he says one of his goals is to  "Become the first American to complete a solo non-stop unassisted voyage around the world starting & finishing from a US Port."  

I would have thought that this had already been done - Dodge Morgan, the guy in the Perry designed double-ender who did it a few years ago (can't remember his name), or the guy who used to run the waterspouts at Bitter End (terrible with names today).  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of others as well, but those are the ones that came to mind first.  Is this just a persnickety definition of unassisted?

13 hours ago, solosailor said:

I might be getting my info crossed but I think this is the orig. Pegasus that Brad VL used for his first Around Alone that was originally built in '94.  That much older boat is not to be confused with ex-Artforms (must faster later generation O50) that also got the turbo'd rig when it did Hawaii races doublehanded.

Ballance Bar?

it is not Pegasus!
 don't how they have it mixed up. But i bought and owned the ex Philippe Khan Pegasus (ex Truth, ex Artforms, designed by Owen Clarke) , shipped her to UK and raced her here
currently the real Pegasus is in Europe and up for sale
https://www.owenclarkedesign.com/Open50_Pegasus

The Big rig was great!  Loved that boat

On 11/12/2020 at 12:23 PM, hdra said:

On the website he says one of his goals is to  "Become the first American to complete a solo non-stop unassisted voyage around the world starting & finishing from a US Port."  

I would have thought that this had already been done - Dodge Morgan, the guy in the Perry designed double-ender who did it a few years ago (can't remember his name), or the guy who used to run the waterspouts at Bitter End (terrible with names today).  I'm sure I'm missing a lot of others as well, but those are the ones that came to mind first.  Is this just a persnickety definition of unassisted?

Mark Schrader on a Valiant 47.  No idea his route though.

it is not Pegasus!
 don't how they have it mixed up. 

Oh it is Pegasus, just not the Pegasus you had with the larger rig.   Brad VL sailed this boat in the Around Alone and then Kahn bough her.   Then he got ex-Artforms and did the turbo rig for Hawaii races.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, solosailor said:

I hope your kidding otherwise Dumbass is apropos.

Of course, I picked it!

It’s an obsolete rule for gentlemen.  R2AK shows it works. Whether you trim on every wave, jibe every shift, or pedal in the light spots and motor sail, you should be allowed to invest your energy as you see fit. 

• Like 1
On 11/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, solosailor said:

Oh it is Pegasus, just not the Pegasus you had with the larger rig.   Brad VL sailed this boat in the Around Alone and then Kahn bough her.   Then he got ex-Artforms and did the turbo rig for Hawaii races.

hE'S HAD SO MANY BOATS IT'S HARD TO REMEMBER THEM ALL

• 1 month later...