AC TV Coverage

race coverage seems ok so it's just the cringe fillers that suck

no telemetry .. which is odd .. hope they fix that one

Just now, Indio said:

LR are sandbagging :D

I hope they are.....if not it’s going to be a very boring cup

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, zillafreak said:

And here we go.. one cool thing about paying out the ass for the live version is you have access to both on-boat cams. :D

Link?

Does anyone have a link to a live stream that works? I'm hitting a dead end everywhere I try to watch.

1 minute ago, Braddw25 said:

Does anyone have a link to a live stream that works? I'm hitting a dead end everywhere I try to watch.

In Canada everything is working on the AC website

2 minutes ago, Indio said:

Over 1km lead in a 4km leg??

Challengers not going to race defender?

the local youtube footage is about 20 seconds ahead of that Renmaus link

I can't even spend the $170. It freezes every time I try to pay for it. Very lousy.

The youtube feed has all the on-screen graphics + different commentators - none on the TV1 feed.

Oh god this is like watching old people eat.

Its not just the distance between the boats either.

The boats (both of them) are just sooo smooth compared to the AC50s that it lacks anything like excitement.

2 minutes ago, Indio said:

The youtube feed has all the on-screen graphics + different commentators - none on the TV1 feed.

You mean the YT view is crossing to feeds and graphics or you can activate them? - Watching from NZ on Youtube, great footage but reliant on the feed fr different angles. Cheers

My subscription to Amazon Prime entitles me to access NBC Sports Gold.  On entering the NBC site and selecting coverage of today's World Series Races I am given a six digit access code and directions to go to the NBC Sports Gold web site.  On entering the portion of the site that deals with access, I identify the device I am using and enter the six digit code.  The web site tells me access is granted but, be patient; it may take several seconds for the updated code to load.  That complete, I key the America's Cup World Series tile on display on my television screen.  What NBC Sports Gold calls 'success' brings a message informing me that access to the America's Cup events requires me to pay an additional fee.  I'm sure the process of paying the required fee will see me returning to the NBC Sports Gold Web site, this time to pay the premium ($175) NBC Sports Gold charges for the privilege of watching Cup events live.

This process leads  me to conclude the coverage of the events is unlikely to be any better than the mode NBC Sports Gold designed to inform potential viewers of how they are to access coverage of the AC.  Programming is available on NBC Sports Gold that is unavailable generally.  That is, coverage of the AC events is not available through a subscription; that cost must be supplemented by a fee that is specific to broadcast of the AC.  This approach to informing an interested viewer is at best backhanded.  I am left with no reason to expect the experience of being a customer of NBC Sports Gold will improve from here.

Its hard to imagine the Italians are sandbagging.

You normally sandbag to lose by SOME not by an entire area code.

Hope it isn't all like this.

I'm on a plane, so no coverage for me, but did they even try? Or are they all just going to lose to ETNZ to deny them comparison data?

7 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Who’s watching live in the US for free and how?

Proton VPN free on YouTube. Looks really great.

20 minutes ago, Braddw25 said:

http://time4tv.stream/watch/sports/sky-sports-1.php

strange only a couple of seconds difference on 2-3 of the legs

the other 3-4 legs were a monster bite though

The Italians might review their twin-helm approach. I think it takes away from the intuitive "feel" that someone like Jimmy has to call in response to the conditions or to the opponent. The extra tack 9 seconds from the gun might not have been necessary if Spithill was helming on his own.

11 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

Not me :angry:

15 minutes ago, Hitchhiker said:

VPN and YouTube. Perfect quality. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mako23 said:

Would you sandbag to lose by 3 minutes ??

Seems unlikely.

If they did, it could end up being a strategic masterclass.

Can't imagine ETNZ will kick back after this though.

Wonder how the poms will stack up against the yanks in this one?

6 minutes ago, Varan said:

Not me :angry:

It sounds like the AC website works for the Aussies even though YouTube is blocked for them. Did you try that?

4 minutes ago, nav said:

It sounds like the AC website works for the Aussies even though YouTube is blocked for them. Did you try that?

Yes, only way I found was with through a vpn, but I have yet to find a vpn whose privacy terms I agree with, so fuck it.

1 minute ago, XPRO said:

Perfect - thanks ... just in time for the Ineos crash.

What a shit show they are.

Ok, wasnt overawed by the coverage on TVNZ, missing critical periods pre start playing fucking ads, too much in boat stuff, too many close on boat shots, not enough long shots and course positioning context.

Your opinion may vary. 

2 hours ago, Hitchhiker said:

You can get the live feed from the AC website working through a VPN.  You just need the VPN to route your connection through a server somewhere else (e.g. Canada) where the AC feed isn't geo restricted.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zillafreak said:

And here we go.. one cool thing about paying out the ass for the live version is you have access to both on-boat cams. :D

Yup, amortized over the whole series I'm feeling better about forking out the payola.  Me thinks it will only get better the more time on the water everyone has boat for boating.

For the kiwis here, I was watching the TVNZ feed which clearly takes the scraps from the feed with Kenny Reed etc. Toni, Chris etc managed to talk over the top of interviews etc. 

Does the AC site provide the international feed? And was the commentary any better?

1 hour ago, kenergy said:

Ok, wasnt overawed by the coverage on TVNZ, missing critical periods pre start playing fucking ads, too much in boat stuff, too many close on boat shots, not enough long shots and course positioning context.

Your opinion may vary. 

I had one screen on the main coverage and one screen on the virtual coverage. Worked well for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ex-yachtie said:

For the kiwis here, I was watching the TVNZ feed which clearly takes the scraps from the feed with Kenny Reed etc. Toni, Chris etc managed to talk over the top of interviews etc. 

Does the AC site provide the international feed? And was the commentary any better?

I watched on YT in NZ and had the OGs Shirley, Ken and Nathan.

My only complaint is the actual but rate seemed pretty low, even at 1080 it was like an old satellite feed.

Also overlays on the live action was quite janky.

• Like 2

Seems like no one has wanted to put in the work to make the sailing overlays better. The state of the art of those overlays have improved greatly in the past few years for other, bigger, sports. Where's Stan Honey when you need him?

• Like 1

Here in Oz  - planning to watch replays of todays races when I get home from work. Just tried the AmericasCup.com site and the replay is geo blocked and couldn't find it on youtube.  Does anyone know where to find it or has/is anyone putting up a version here somewhere? I dont want to explore the forums too hard in order to avoid hearing about it all before I watch.

Any help appreciated.

Thx  

• Like 2

I thought the grid lines were pretty average and were not 'fluid' so to say. I did enjoy Kenny and Nathan's commentary with Shirley (?). I do enjoy how Kenny openly displays his fascination at how fast the boats are going. 

23 minutes ago, rh3000 said:

I watched on YT in NZ and had the OGs Shirley, Ken and Nathan.

My only complaint is the actual but rate seemed pretty low, even at 1080 it was like an old satellite feed.

Also overlays on the live action was quite janky.

Thanks. The overlay graphics were slow on TVNZ. I think we were watching the same images but different commentary. 

19 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

Here in Oz  - planning to watch replays of todays races when I get home from work. Just tried the AmericasCup.com site and the replay is geo blocked and couldn't find it on youtube.  Does anyone know where to find it or has/is anyone putting up a version here somewhere? I dont want to explore the forums too hard in order to avoid hearing about it all before I watch.

Any help appreciated.

Thx  

I tried a VPN thingo for USA and NZ and got the same.... hope they are just having beers and will push the right button soon!

pretty piss poor effort considering Dalts went on how this AC was going to be for the masses etc. on free to air - which I suspect means only if you live in NZ.

Foxtel in AU is hardly for the masses these days - especially as they have such a small amount of mainstream sport now.

3 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

pretty piss poor effort considering Dalts went on how this AC was going to be for the masses etc. on free to air - which I suspect means only if you live in NZ.

Foxtel in AU is hardly for the masses these days - especially as they have such a small amount of mainstream sport now.

Just tried UK VPN and it works, try Hola VPN

downloaded Hola but the AC site only gives me US as a VPN site and it doesnt work there either :(

Found NZ site and it doesnt work there either!!

37 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

DO we know what feed foxtel are getting? Is it the YT feed?

38 minutes ago, Inshallah said:

Can’t really blame Dalts. Blame the providers in that country. If they buy the rights, it’s their prerogative to geo block YT feeds in that region. 

Paid NBC coverage in US was flawless, awesome resolution, no commercials, 4 screens available: one on boat cam for each team, one general coverage, one graphics. Will be well worth the bucks for all coverage including Christmas races, LV and the Cup itself imo. No fucking around with pirate video crap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pluscount said:

"almost every country around the world "  is

Except you seppos  ^_^

I just listened to the international feed to catch up on various bits and pieces I missed in the office, and I'll be tuning in to Kenny and team from now on.

I don't know about you lot, but I find the audio off the boats as being really insightful.  Kenny and team know when to shut up and listen.

4 hours ago, Forourselves said:

Can’t really blame Dalts. Blame the providers in that country. If they buy the rights, it’s their prerogative to geo block YT feeds in that region. 

Yeah, that’s not the way that works. ETNZ owns all the rights to broadcast the event and therefore has total control over what their broadcast partners do. If ETNZ didn’t want NBC to geo-block YouTube in the US, the contract would prohibit it. Of course, NBC paid more for the exclusive rights, and ETNZ agreed to it because it happened. Not even you can polish this turd.

• Like 1

After listening to Dalt these last couple of years on the accessibility, I'm a little disappointed on what happened in the US. Never thought it could get worse than when Larry controlled the rights, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised when it comes to the AC. Servus.tv worked well for live but the replays are geo-blocked.

After watching live on the computer, I've decided I'd rather watch a replay from the couch with my AppleTV. Anyone watching replays on an AppleTV from a geo-blocked country? If so, which app and if required, which VPN? And no, I really don't want to reward NBCSN's robbery with $175 and I do not have cable.

Wonder how much NBC got duped/fucked-up to pay for the rights in the US to think they have to charge $175.00.  I think the all-access US Football packages are cheaper than that. As I said earlier, if you use Hulu and pay for live TV is is buried in the sport package under "sailing" not Americas Cup.

The link to SKY posted last night seems to be the best option for USA so hopefully that works throughout the series.

28 minutes ago, XPRO said:

Wonder how much NBC got duped/fucked-up to pay for the rights in the US to think they have to charge $175.00.  I think the all-access US Football packages are cheaper than that. As I said earlier, if you use Hulu and pay for live TV is is buried in the sport package under "sailing" not Americas Cup.

The link to SKY posted last night seems to be the best option for USA so hopefully that works throughout the series.

May also be a revenue sharing deal. And NBC didn't get duped. This contract was certainly negotiated by both parties, and both parties knew full well what was in it. 

Bruno Trouble needs to go!!!  I love ya Bruno but you had your day and its 2020 so please get us a 30 year old woman that speaks English.  The post race presser was hard to watch

21 minutes ago, porthos said:

May also be a revenue sharing deal. And NBC didn't get duped. This contract was certainly negotiated by both parties, and both parties knew full well what was in it. 

Don't doubt it , but there is little on NBC that costs that much unless it was sold on the premise that it is a rich persons sport and that kind of price is justified. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XPRO said:

Don't doubt it , but there is little on NBC that costs that much unless it was sold on the premise that it is a rich persons sport and that kind of price is justified. 

The fee is surprising and not in a good way. Basic economics suggests that NBC didn't think this cup cycle was going to drive the masses to watch such that NBC could have lowered the rate based on volume. And I suspect you are correct that some data/marketing nerd at NBC concluded that the average person who does have an interest in this cup cycle has more disposable income than the average general viewer so they concluded they could stretch the price.  When the story is written on the media rights for this cup cycle in the US, I suspect it's going to end with NBC taking a bath and regretting its decision to reach as it has. 

7 hours ago, zillafreak said:

Paid NBC coverage in US was flawless, awesome resolution, no commercials, 4 screens available: one on boat cam for each team, one general coverage, one graphics. Will be well worth the bucks for all coverage including Christmas races, LV and the Cup itself imo. No fucking around with pirate video crap.

It's the principle of pay-for-view that bugs me, given the accessibility promised by ETNZ and promoted on americascup.com. If we all boycotted pay-for-view AC, maybe they would live up to their hype and let us watch the youTube feed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nroose said:

Seems like no one has wanted to put in the work to make the sailing overlays better. The state of the art of those overlays have improved greatly in the past few years for other, bigger, sports. Where's Stan Honey when you need him?

Always thankful to watch good sailing on video and thoroughly enjoyed the first races, but agree, the overlays were nothing like what Oracle built with Stan did and what Sail GP now uses.  I was disappointed in how the video cut away to Virtual Eye / Spectator during maneuvers as well.  Maybe they will improve drastically during the event as technology always moves forward?

I think we should not be surprised, given the resources in this cup compared to the last two.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Always thankful to watch good sailing on video and thoroughly enjoyed the first races, but agree, the overlays were nothing like what Oracle built with Stan did and what Sail GP now uses.  I was disappointed in how the video cut away to Virtual Eye / Spectator during maneuvers as well.  Maybe they will improve drastically during the event as technology always moves forward?

I think we should not be surprised, given the resources in this cup compared to the last two.

I would agree.  The time to start box was tiny.  The aerials seemed too low.  Just overall lacking imho.  

NBC Sports' issue is the time of the races overlap with NHL games (their main focus outside of the Olympics and Sunday Night Football). That's not an issue right now since the NHL hasn't started yet, but it will be for the Prada Cup and the Final Match. The races were never going to be shown live, unlike in Bermuda (afternoons in the early summer) or San Fran (afternoons in late summer). $175 is a robbery, but I would pay $100.

Just now, Enzedel92 said:

I would agree.  The time to start box was tiny.  The aerials seemed too low.  Just overall lacking imho.  

What do you guys expect? It had all been there this „morning“ on YT. Great quality picture on the Apple TV, good commentary though I think KR is a bit over doing. The time to start Box abt. 2:50 to abt. 3:2 min and it is enough when the first boat is only allowed to enter at 2:10.

GD is not to blame about the Brits not having their act together and two races being boring. How come the best sailor in the world gets penalties in both his races? Maybe the boat did not do, what the helmsman wanted it to do? I just could not believe what I saw.

Last race gave hope for some great action and this not only because I had always been a fan of DB. Wish the Kiwis to win but DB polishing his image against the redhead.

The price with NBCsports for this is insane. When looking a content days compared to NFL Sunday Ticket it’s more expensive. This is not the NFL....

I do think GD needs to be held accountable for the Brits performance to a degree. If you’re going to run this like a sports league and charge like they are for the content, as the “commissioner” of said league it’s your duty to your customers/fans that there is a minimally viable product. In other words, “floor” of the each team needs to be at a certain level. Right now, the Brits can’t even finish a race and watching races with them are terrible. The optimist class world championship is more compelling than a ACWS match with INEOS. 

Charging to watch all of the races is fine. You have the right to do that and if that helps ensure a certain production value of the races it’s important. However, it needs to be reasonable $50-$70 for all the races and the product needs to be better. Otherwise I’m paying $170 to watch 5-6 races of the AC Final because two of the challengers are so far off the pace they don’t have a chance at winning and that’s simply not interesting. 

I sincerely hope this changes because the AM v EMTZ race sounded fantastic and I’m excited about that. 

• Like 1

Porthos writes: When the story is written on the media rights for this cup cycle in the US, I suspect it's going to end with NBC taking a bath and regretting its decision to reach as it has. 

This is precisely why I refuse to allow NBC Sports Gold to tally my participation when they report income from subscriptions to the AC Premium.  Porthos foresees the outcome I am happy to make real.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Can they kill the Virtual Spectator all together please?  Felt like porting back to the 90's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, porthos said:

The fee is surprising and not in a good way. Basic economics suggests that NBC didn't think this cup cycle was going to drive the masses to watch such that NBC could have lowered the rate based on volume. And I suspect you are correct that some data/marketing nerd at NBC concluded that the average person who does have an interest in this cup cycle has more disposable income than the average general viewer so they concluded they could stretch the price.  When the story is written on the media rights for this cup cycle in the US, I suspect it's going to end with NBC taking a bath and regretting its decision to reach as it has. 

The problem is that the $179 gets you a streaming product, not a TV product like NBCSports. So you have to buy a casting device or watch on a tablet. At midnight. Uh, yawn, no. Not for $179 unrecordable.

Just watched the delayed broadcast of the races on NBCSN (@ 1 am cst).  It is a condensed version of the youtube broadcast.  They skipped a couple of legs of the AM vs NZ race.

Also, to put it in perspective, not anything about the races on the news in the states.  Nothing about it anywhere.  I can read about how the filters that are used to make astronauts urine drinkable could be used on earth, but nothing about the AC.

2 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

Also, to put it in perspective, not anything about the races on the news in the states.  Nothing about it anywhere.  I can read about how the filters that are used to make astronauts urine drinkable could be used on earth, but nothing about the AC.

I found the AP press release on a number of local US new sites, plus ESPN: https://www.espn.com/espn/story?id=30536238&_slug_=us-team-wins-twice-1st-day-america-cup-world-series

11 minutes ago, The_Alchemist said:

I've seen some videos where they do that unfiltered:D

2 hours ago, fairdinkum said:

Can they kill the Virtual Spectator all together please?  Felt like porting back to the 90's.

I have the CD somewhere of the software to watch the cup in New Zealand, but I don't run Windows 3.1 anymore.  :)

5 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

I don't run Windows 3.1 anymore.  :)

Ineos may have a copy..

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Indio said:

I've seen some videos where they do that unfiltered:D

That would be AUS NRL players

1 minute ago, Flags said:

That would be AUS NRL players

:)...forgot about them!!

7 minutes ago, Enzedel92 said:

Turn the fucking music off for fucks sake!!

If I wanted music I would watch MTV!!!

Wot music? Nothing on YT.

• Like 1

It would be great if someone could resurrect a thread like this one from 4 years ago to take control of the situation for everyone and just make the races available on channel BitTorrent for everyone. You know all the so-called 'free' viewing options are going to be an absolute dog's breakfast of paywalls, region coding and licencing requirements, so just as 4 years ago, the only real solution is going to be Channel BT.