• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It sure has, actually I'll be on the beast in the photo. A bit scary, having seen it in action!

I'm not sure the kiwi commentator is smart enough to know that it fucks Ken off. I think he is just commenting on the few things his feeble mind understands. "Ken, what made the teams decide

The TVNZ coverage had the graphic at bottom which cycled through speed+VMG / flight time / wind speed. That graphic is f@#$&+g horrible. The layout precludes comparing VMG between boats

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, mauriciogfj said:

Um final suggestion, try to "Mark site read" at the very bottom, right hand corner(that should reset your "unread" pointer) and take it from there

Thanks, tried that but am for some reason still getting inconsistent results. Sometimes I get directed to the latest unread, sometimes to some ancient post. 

Just now, animeproblem said:

Well there's your problem Stingers, iphone.

Yes, could well be an iPhone Safari specific issue.. No biggy, it’s bad timing but I will find Race 1 Live coming up here soon. 

if anyone here cares, TE will be running another Zoom. It had almost a thousand people last time.

3E8849A3-C325-4B8B-8264-D6CD376CD54B.thumb.jpeg.8a77abaa51940f6715ac913d53e91657.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Thanks, tried that but am for some reason still getting inconsistent results. Sometimes I get directed to the latest unread, sometimes to some ancient post. 

Sorry mate, i have run out of suggestions.
It works like a charm for me on Chrome (pc, ipad and iphone).

Works okay on Android. Rather high contrast as if designed for older folks, whoops, nevermind. 

Edit... No mark forum as read? You mean I have to read all of Jack's and LB's posts? This is gonna take a while..

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, could well be an iPhone Safari specific issue.. No biggy, it’s bad timing but I will find Race 1 Live coming up here soon. 

if anyone here cares, TE will be running another Zoom. It had almost a thousand people last time.

3E8849A3-C325-4B8B-8264-D6CD376CD54B.thumb.jpeg.8a77abaa51940f6715ac913d53e91657.jpeg

that old right-wing geezer? he talks shit about us behind our backs, and his act is as old as he is. only thing i like about him is that he hates leweck more than i do. fuck him.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Varan said:

No edit or hide either :(

Edit, report & share are hidden under the 3 dots on the top right hand side of each post.

image.png.103e300bb3bf5c235c1e1c63640392da.png----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

image.png.c6ea26b84df45e8aee25365292923cde.png

• Like 3
Just now, Editor said:

that old right-wing geezer? he talks shit about us behind our backs, and his act is as old as he is. only thing i like about him is that he hates leweck more than i do. fuck him.

:D 

You’d be surprised about how well he runs his shows, the guy has a rare combination of AC experience, brightness, enthusiasm, and ‘produced’ live with a million techno gadgets (have you ever tried that?) still has a great sense of humor. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

You’d be surprised about how well he runs his shows, the guy has a rare combination of AC experience, brightness, enthusiasm, and ‘produced’ live with a million techno gadgets (have you ever tried that?) still has a great sense of humor. 

zero interest. 

1 minute ago, Editor said:

zero interest. 

Then please don’t join in on the party :) 

I realize why you could see him as ‘an old right-wing geezer’ but he’s actually pretty cool, we chat sometimes and laugh like hell about nothing-AC :D 

2 hours ago, Stingray~ said:

So let me get this straight, Ehman is rebroadcasting the live feed via zoom. Is that correct? If so, he’s a fucking asshole. He knows damn well rebroadcasting is illegal. He’s probably too small a fish for Dalton to bother with, and Dalton probably doesn’t want to dignify his existence with something legal. Not sure why NBC wouldn’t come down on him like a ton of bricks though. To think he used to be a direct report to Larry, and now the best he can do is illegally rebroadcasting a race via zoom. Sad, really. I used to think highly of him. 

• Like 1

Just catching up on last night's races. Man, the carpenter sawing one board after another is super annoying. Can't they turn down this sound a bit without compromising the on-board conversations?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Just catching up on last night's races. Man, the carpenter sawing one board after another is super annoying. Can't they turn down this sound a bit without compromising the on-board conversations?

Yeah I know, I thought it was loud in Bermuda, but it's so much louder on TR:o

If anyone needs a bit of a warm up before today’s races; NBCSN has a one hour program scheduled for 1pm EST on the Vendee Globe.

14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Pretty impressive Studio Setting from ServusTV as well:o

vlcsnap-2021-03-11-17h26m19s818.png

That's quite surprising given that the audience for America's Cup globally is roughly 5 pensioners and 1 pet budgie.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Pretty impressive Studio Setting from ServusTV as well:o

vlcsnap-2021-03-11-17h26m19s818.png

That's quite surprising given that the audience for America's Cup globally is roughly 5 pensioners and 1 pet budgie.

Catching up and watching last night's races. I really need to complain about the YouTube sound again. 10 voices talking all at the same time with the same volume, nicely accompanied by the carpenter and his saw. Are you kidding, production crew? Turn the on-board sounds down so that we can hear Kenny, Nathan, Shirley and the other bloke, and make them go silent every now and then for a minute or two so that we can hear the "atmo". 
The viewers, who want to have full on-board volume, will watch the port- and starboard boat feeds anyway.

• Like 6
30 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Catching up and watching last night's races. I really need to complain about the YouTube sound again. 10 voices talking all at the same time with the same volume, nicely accompanied by the carpenter and his saw. Are you kidding, production crew? Turn the on-board sounds down so that we can hear Kenny, Nathan, Shirley and the other bloke, and make them go silent every now and then for a minute or two so that we can hear the "atmo". 
The viewers, who want to have full on-board volume, will watch the port- and starboard boat feeds anyway.

Point well made. I can't help hooting with laughter at your description of the 'carpenter and his saw' :lol:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Point well made. I can't help hooting with laughter at your description of the 'carpenter and his saw' :lol:

I must admit, it got better during the first race...
Off to the second one now. Huuuuuuuu, exciting!

does anyone know why they have that nnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  nnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound constantly drowning out the commentators and the onboard crews?

JFC, when I watch NASCAR I do not hear 40 V8s screaming at 8,000 rpm for 4 hours straight.

They could put that onto one of the channels so the viewer could shut it off as it adds NOTHING to the program.  Or they could noise cancel it with little fanfare.

Whoever thought this was a good idea deserves one hell of a wedgie...

Fucking nerds...

• Like 2
17 hours ago, jaysper said:

Why is that surprising to you? Hans-Peter Steinacher who is the AC Expert during the ServusTV Coverage is one of the Co-Founders of the Red Bull Youth America's Cup when it was contested in 2013 and 2017 together with Roman Hagara!

Not to mention that Austria has a VO65 Entry into the next Race around the Planet in 2022/23.

9 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

My problem is worse than your problem !!!   I'm on a long glide path to total deafness. Computer speaker sound is garbled, strangled at the best of times. Hi tech hearing aids linked through app make life bearable. But, and it is a big but, onboard sounds and speech overlaid with commentary is a meaningless cacophony.

So why not a simple toggle or two? Onboard sound on/off. Commentary on/off

On 3/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, Stingray~ said:

Then please don’t join in on the party :) 

I realize why you could see him as ‘an old right-wing geezer’ but he’s actually pretty cool, we chat sometimes and laugh like hell about nothing-AC :D 

No one doubts TFE's intelligence, depth of experience, smarts and wit.

Good for him working to maintain relevance in the relentless face of rapid tech development. And on a very low budget.

It's just that those or us who knew him of old don't have the time and patience waiting for a few gems in the dross.

1 hour ago, Foreverslow said:

does anyone know why they have that nnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  nnrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound constantly drowning out the commentators and the onboard crews?

JFC, when I watch NASCAR I do not hear 40 V8s screaming at 8,000 rpm for 4 hours straight.

They could put that onto one of the channels so the viewer could shut it off as it adds NOTHING to the program.  Or they could noise cancel it with little fanfare.

Fucking nerds...

Ah ratz!  You beat me to it. A simple solution.

6 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

I love that sound, it's better than the commentary. 

It tells of the enormous loads.  When I go for another beer, my frig door does something similar.  So cool.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

Fucking nerds...

I think the issue is it comes through on the team comms when they "listen in" on a boat

6 hours ago, KiwiJoker said:

My problem is worse than your problem !!!   I'm on a long glide path to total deafness. Computer speaker sound is garbled, strangled at the best of times. Hi tech hearing aids linked through app make life bearable. But, and it is a big but, onboard sounds and speech overlaid with commentary is a meaningless cacophony.

So why not a simple toggle or two? Onboard sound on/off. Commentary on/off

Sorry to read that. I agree with the issue and solution. 

50 minutes ago, Colomba said:

Some tension between the Kiwi commentator (Stephen aka Four?) and KR?

Yes, definitely.  Hopefully there might be more to entertain us.

3 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Sorry to read that. I agree with the issue and solution. 

The perils of advancing age!!

On a positive note, big congrats on your 10,001st post

18 minutes ago, KiwiJoker said:

The perils of advancing age!!

On a positive note, big congrats on your 10,001st post

No shit, really? In a way cool but also a bit embarrassing. All that time, what could I have done with it? 

OTOH, they brought me friends all over the world, so it was time well spent. To be continued :)

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

No shit, really? In a way cool but also a bit embarrassing. All that time, what could I have done with it? 

OTOH, they brought me friends all over the world, so it was time well spent. To be continued :)

Congratulations! Here's to the next 10,000 :)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, marlowe said:

Congratulations! Here's to the next 10,000 :)

Thanks. It would be good if that came with privileges, e.g. a bigger allocation of likes to spend. Running out of them regularly. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, rantro said:

It tells of the enormous loads.  When I go for another beer, my frig door does something similar.  So cool.

Yeah I like the groaning and creaking too, they really need multi channel audio: on board, commentary, and noises down below :lol:

The dying cow hydraulic sounds are just like the laugh track in a crappy sitcom.  Producers are just trying to make the AC TV show seem more exciting than it really is.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Colomba said:

Oh yeah, it has me hooting with laughter. Ken wants to kill him but can't. And the kiwi commentator knows how to rile Ken and he falls for it every time. The time difference at the mark really sets Ken off :lol: NO tries to stay out of it.

57 minutes ago, 45Roller said:

Yeah I like the groaning and creaking too,

Those are also the sounds you will produce as an oldster when 

you endeavor to make whoopee 

10 hours ago, rantro said:

How come the ITA boat does not make sounds. If I recall it was the US and the Kiwi boats that made weird noises.

7 hours ago, Colomba said:

On NBCSN the guy in the suit at the table before they go to NZ last night said "When we come back, there will be an opportunity to break the tie". No shit, after race 5 the tie will be broken. but opbiously after race 6 it might not.

These guys get paid to say the stupidest shit.

I'm gonna watch the F1 testing replays on you tube. it's only 15 minutes but it's free

2 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

How come the ITA boat does not make sounds. If I recall it was the US and the Kiwi boats that made weird noises.

Pretty noisy here for some reason

28 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Oh yeah, it has me hooting with laughter. Ken wants to kill him but can't. And the kiwi commentator knows how to rile Ken and he falls for it every time. The time difference at the mark really sets Ken off :lol: NO tries to stay out of it.

At the start I thought Stephen McIvor (Kiwi commentator) was annoying but I think he's grown into it. He plays the dilettante enthusiast well. Ken Read comes over a bit full of himself.

I like Bruno Troublé, he's a piece of AC history, but he should have been retired with the IACC boats. McIvor was much better when he took over the press conferences for a couple of days.

1 minute ago, marlowe said:

At the start I thought Stephen McIvor (Kiwi commentator) was annoying but I think he's grown into it. He plays the dilettante enthusiast well. Ken Read comes over a bit full of himself.

I like Bruno Troublé, he's a piece of AC history, but he should have been retired with the IACC boats. McIvor was much better when he took over the press conferences for a couple of days.

I have also warmed to Stephen McIvor but Ken has no time for him because he's not a sailing 'legend' and he makes that disregard pretty obvious. And Ken is full of himself and makes no secret of it. He is his own biggest fan. Nice work if you can get it.

57 minutes ago, Meat Wad said:

ETNZ has all their hydraulic rams sandwiched between the mainsail skins, right near the camera and microphone. LR has their rams below deck.

I watched YouTube

it showed a cartoon of the racing NOT Video

ya off to right was a surveillance camera mounted on transum

other than to occasional guy going side to side and the main moving a little

there was Fuck-All difference form radio except not much relevant commentary

is YouTube the B Roll and I'm missing something somewhere else

or are they not making anything outta nuthing

9 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

I watched YouTube

it showed a cartoon of the racing NOT Video

ya off to right was a surveillance camera mounted on transum

other than to occasional guy going side to side and the main moving a little

there was Fuck-All difference form radio except not much relevant commentary

is YouTube the B Roll and I'm missing something somewhere else

or are they not making anything outta nuthing

YouTube has 4 feeds. One is the virtual. That seems like it is the one you watched. One is the production broadcast. That shows mostly footage from the chopper and the TV cat, but they sometimes show the virtual or the video from one of the onboard cams. I recommend watching this one if you can and if you are just watching one. Then the other two are one for each boat.

3 hours ago, Paddywackery said:

I'm not sure the kiwi commentator is smart enough to know that it fucks Ken off.

I think he is just commenting on the few things his feeble mind understands.

"Ken, what made the teams decide to go with sails as the motive force for these yachts?"

"Ken, how many forward and reverse gears do these yachts have?"

"Ken, if the starboard has right if way, why not build a yacht with two of them?"

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, jaysper said:

I'm not sure the kiwi commentator is smart enough to know that it fucks Ken off.

"Ken, what made the teams decide to go with sails as the motive force for these yachts?"

"Ken, if the starboard has right if way, why not build a yacht with two of them?"

4 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Shirley seems subdued and not her normal chirpy self. Nathan is doing well.

For the most part it all works well enough but things do get a touch awkward between Ken and whatsizname, happened again yesterday after he asked Ken to respond to some inane question 

2 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

For the most part it all works well enough but things do get a touch awkward between Ken and whatsizname, happened again yesterday after he asked Ken to respond to some inane question 

I find very funny and you just know that Ken is dying to tell him to fuck off.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Yeah what was the question again? Something about why they don't make the tracks banked like Nascar or something if I recall correctly.

Just now, jaysper said:

Yeah what was the question again? Something about why they don't make the tracks banked like Nascar or something if I recall correctly.

Who is your man, Stephen, a TV presenter that was a former sportsman?

Can't remember the exact interchange I was thinking of, something about who is blowing their maneuvers the worst upwind or somesuch? Anyway, I liked your ‘Hey Ken, then why don’t they design them with two starboards?’ 

6 minutes ago, Paddywackery said:

Who is your man, Stephen, a TV presenter that was a former sportsman?

I really don't know to be honest.

I haven't watched broadcast TV for about 10 years or so. I think he's just an annoying cunt.

Either way I don't remember hearing or seeing him before this cup and I hope to never hear of him again after this cup.

4 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Can't remember the exact interchange I was thinking of, something about who is blowing their maneuvers the worst upwind or somesuch? Anyway, I liked your ‘Hey Ken, then why don’t they design them with two starboards?’ 

It was as sensible as some of the shit he has come out with right?

I quite liked Alistair Eyken (spelling?) at the last cup.

Despite all the haters here I thought the Bermuda cup was beautifully run, the venue was magic and Rachel Sawden was totally fuckable!

• Like 1

I really don't know to be honest.

I haven't watched broadcast TV for about 10 years or so. I think he's just an annoying cunt.

Either way I don't remember hearing or seeing him before this cup and I hope to never hear of him again after this cup.

Agreed mate, but he is better than Tucker Thompson for sure

Just now, 45Roller said:

Agreed mate, but he is better than Tucker Thomson for sure

Not knowing him or hs background, he's doing just fine At least he puts some fizz into it. Ken struggles to contain his superiority in the presence of those mere mortals who don't boast his CV. He doesn't speak the same way to Shirley or Nathan.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, nroose said:

YouTube has 4 feeds. One is the virtual. That seems like it is the one you watched. One is the production broadcast. That shows mostly footage from the chopper and the TV cat, but they sometimes show the virtual or the video from one of the onboard cams. I recommend watching this one if you can and if you are just watching one. Then the other two are one for each boat.

it would be nice if people could be Arsed to post actual links to watch

perhaps someone could start a thread just for that

:(

1 hour ago, pusslicker said:

http://freestreams-live1.com/skyspo-mix/

How many more fucking times do I have to post this. One click and you're watching the fucking thing.

OMG That's The BEST Yet and No VPN Needed !!!!

Thanks Heaps

• Like 1
On 3/13/2021 at 8:33 PM, jaysper said:

Honestly, what do you expect? Stephen McIvor has a Commentary Background of Cricket & Rugby! Why the Host Broadcaster selected him as the Main Commentator with No Sailing Background whatsoever I don't know? Maybe because we're in New Zealand and they wanted a New Zealander. That's my only explanation at this Point.

4 minutes ago, dg_sailingfan said:

Honestly, what do you expect? Stephen McIvor has a Commentary Background of Cricket & Rugby! Why the Host Broadcaster selected him as the Main Commentator with No Sailing Background whatsoever I don't know? Maybe because we're in New Zealand and they wanted a New Zealander. That's my only explanation at this Point.

I suspect that it is a serious and intelligent attempt to have someone ask the silly questions that a non-sailor needs to know.

Someone to ask what that term means, like to 'hit on' another boat, to 'cover' or what 'Gas' is.

It can go wrong if not managed;

• too much repetition e.g. his continual reference to VMG definition in Bermunda.
  • the experts on the team getting cranky with those 'stupid' questions
  • when the non-sailor starts to have an opinion, not popular with the experts

I recall this guy (or whoever is was in Bermuda) starting to say that NZ were faster and lower downwind.  Now they were, but Ken R did not want to admit it and got short with the guy when he said it.

What they have done is the professional thing to do.

• Like 1