Jump to content

Construction of a Pogo 36


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, svitale said:

Sampogracht has set sail and will be in Baltimore by the 8th with unloading on the 9th or 10th. 

Wow, your boat is coming stick up? So you just basically dump it overboard and hoist sails and then gogogo!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Upp3 said:

Wow, your boat is coming stick up? So you just basically dump it overboard and hoist sails and then gogogo!

I assume that costs more to ship but less to commission?  Do you actually save some coin that way?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching a program about the yacht moving ships, it was very interesting, especially the loading process.

All the yachts went rig up. A couple still had jibs on furlers, that looked dodgy to me. One arrived part unfurled and destroyed. That can't have please the deck crew, but I guess they were happy to load that way.

Some of the crew/owners travelled with the boats and worked on them on the ship. Couple did antifouling and anode work. Said the reduced yard bills helped offset the shipping costs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 3:53 AM, Upp3 said:

Wow, your boat is coming stick up? So you just basically dump it overboard and hoist sails and then gogogo!

 

22 hours ago, Teener said:

I assume that costs more to ship but less to commission?  Do you actually save some coin that way?

After reading Shaggy's post about the massive amount of tension needed for the carbon rig I felt this was the better option. 

If I had gone with RORO then Pogo would have charged me to breakdown the boat and  pack it on a cradle.  I would have to pay for the truck to get it to the port and then pay for a rigger in the USA.  Shaggy flew in a Pogo employee but that was just the time, ticket and per deim.  I would have needed two add a quarantines on each end IF THEY COULD TRAVEL TO THE USA AND BACK.  The other option is to bring in an Axxon approved rigger from Maine or Ft Lauderdale.

As to sailing away,  there is 1/3 tank of fuel which will barely make it to Annapolis. (the 36 only has a 100 nm range or 3L/hr for 20 hours). Ideally, I get on the ship, get rid of the tape over the mainsail, install the staysail (packed on a furler) or the gennaker(also on a furler) rather than wrestle the jib up the track

I think we are unloading just south of 95, west of Ft McHenry.  Rain is forecast for both days with 12 kt from the south on Friday and 2 kt wind on Saturday.  So I'll stop in the Inner Harbor or Fells Point to fill up and maybe do a dash and dine for $20.  Once we get to the Key bridge we should be able to sail it back on Friday. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrestling the jib up the track would be disappointing, can't see why it would be like that. I think you'll pull the tape off the main, put the jib up and have a great sail. Can you not get diesel around there? What's to stop you turning up with 25L in a can?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 3:33 AM, European Bloke said:

Wrestling the jib up the track would be disappointing, can't see why it would be like that. I think you'll pull the tape off the main, put the jib up and have a great sail. Can you not get diesel around there? What's to stop you turning up with 25L in a can?

My crew for the day will be two non sailing family members.  I  have no idea how much time I'll have on the boat to get underway from the moment it hits the water. As I have never done this before I was just looking at the easiest solution.

Since the original post the the unloading day has moved back from Friday to Monday and the wind has shifted 270 degrees from the windward side of the ship to the leeward side and back again (my best guess based on the location of the terminal) and also dropped in intensity.

Friday 180 deg 15 -20

Original Monday 30 deg 8-10

Today's Monday 270 deg 10-15

Bottom Line is if the jib can go up easily in the harbor it will.  If not then the Spin, Gen or staysail will do.  Right now it looks like we can hoist the asymmetric from the harbor to the bay. Use the gennaker past the bridge and only need the jib up the Severn.

I'm just glad its not on the ship in the north sea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been one week since I finally took possession on a rainy Sunday in Baltimore.  It was kind of hectic as the date changed several times while I was trying to set up my second shot.  Got my shot Friday afternoon, drove to Maryland on Saturday and then arrived at the docks on Sunday at 8.

At 9 they put the sling on and we were in the water before 10.  The mainsail was wrapped in plastic so it came off as we let the pilot drive on compass mode.  We hoisted the gennaker and started sailing south.  The wind started to get fickle around the bay bridge so we dropped the geny and motor sailed to Jabins.  The burning car in the middle span of the bridge might have had something to do with it.

Most of the week was spent unpacking all the safety gear and figuring out where to store things.  I had to cleanup some mold on the spin bag as it was wet but it was just on the outside and we aired it out. I met with the electrician about 120 shore power and solar.

I then went over  to my sisters for a belated Christmas.  I hadn't seen her since 2019.  They came out yesterday for nice but chilly sail on the bay.

I'll post more photo's when I get back on my mac.  Using the boats computer with the small keyboard and the tricky mouse (if the mouse  is the biggest disappointment then things are looking good) I'm just too lazy to go out in the rain and get it  from the truck.

I already have two anarchists lined up for test drives

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some details you don't see in most of the photos online.  If anyone wants me to take one of any part of the boat let me know.

Wiring of the electrical and electronics is nice and neat.  I found a USB port in the adjacent area and was disappointed when it didn't charge the ipad but then I realized it was for the computer. 

 

DSC_2548_00001.jpg

DSC_2549_00001.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The heater is in the locker to port and the exhaust exits on the stern.  There are ports in the front berth, head, starboard locker, starboard berth and port berth.  You can shut all the ports but the port berth where the thermostat is located. I slept back there and had the curtain closed and it heated the berth to 19C/66F in less than 12 min in the morning.

DSC_2554_00001.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Gaz tank are will need to be converted to propane for the states and the 8" opening is too small for a refillable tank but a call to defender delivered the parts needed to convert to the small disposable tanks.  Anyone know how to refill a Campingaz tank?

DSC_2577_00001.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fill 1 lb camping tanks from a 20 lb bbq tank. You can buy an adapter and there are youtube videos on how to do it. Just don't overfill. Also, you have to be careful that a spare 1 lb tank does not leak afterwards. I put a little super lube on the adapter before screwing onto the tank and cap with a brass cap that I've added an o-ring to prevent any gas from leaking.  You don't want lp gas floating around your boat, which is probably not a problem if the gas compartment is sealed from the boat.

Alternatively, would a 4.25 or 5 lb lp tank fit into the opening?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, svitale said:

The Gaz tank are will need to be converted to propane for the states and the 8" opening is too small for a refillable tank but a call to defender delivered the parts needed to convert to the small disposable tanks.  Anyone know how to refill a Campingaz tank?

 

Here in Europe you just go to the typical marine or camping store and leve the empty and take a full one, its about 20€.
Do not know how these refillable propane tanks go in the US

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 7:12 PM, svitale said:

Here are some details you don't see in most of the photos online.  If anyone wants me to take one of any part of the boat let me know.

Wiring of the electrical and electronics is nice and neat.  I found a USB port in the adjacent area and was disappointed when it didn't charge the ipad but then I realized it was for the computer. 

 

DSC_2548_00001.jpg

DSC_2549_00001.jpg

What an awesome looking electrical install.

Mine is DIY and not quite as good.  One issue with NKE is you get tons of wires and junction boxes.  Need to shorten and redo...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ultraman said:

What an awesome looking electrical install.

Mine is DIY and not quite as good.  One issue with NKE is you get tons of wires and junction boxes.  Need to shorten and redo...

Aaah....has to be one of the hardest jobs on the boat for mine, but for a quality sensor suite it's worth it Ultraman, don't give up! The most annoying thing I hate about beautiful wiring is when its all finished and then you want to run another wire your forgot about. :ph34r:

I was originally going to get the wiring pulled through and mouses installed in all the conduits at the build stage then I wanted to do the electronics myself. After weeks sketching it all out and the drawing getting more and more complex....up from A3 to A2 then to A0...I realised maybe I was better off letting the yard do it.

The idea was to create a series of panels that acted as the aggregator for that local area, then design the bus to connect it all together. The problem was making it all fit and be accessible. Erwan who is the electronics fella at Structures is a gem. Hate to admit it, but he did a much better job than I would have.

It's clear from Svitale's pic he hasn't lost his anal retentiveness :)!     

79725478_IMG_1930_zps7xaxipea(1).thumb.jpg.a450d8fc3b41303858439f25a3d48fc9.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Aaah....has to be one of the hardest jobs on the boat for mine, but for a quality sensor suite it's worth it Ultraman, don't give up! The most annoying thing I hate about beautiful wiring is when its all finished and then you want to run another wire your forgot about. :ph34r:

I was originally going to get the wiring pulled through and mouses installed in all the conduits at the build stage then I wanted to do the electronics myself. After weeks sketching it all out and the drawing getting more and more complex....up from A3 to A2 then to A0...I realised maybe I was better off letting the yard do it.

The idea was to create a series of panels that acted as the aggregator for that local area, then design the bus to connect it all together. The problem was making it all fit and be accessible. Erwan who is the electronics fella at Structures is a gem. Hate to admit it, but he did a much better job than I would have.

It's clear from Svitale's pic he hasn't lost his anal retentiveness :)!     

79725478_IMG_1930_zps7xaxipea(1).thumb.jpg.a450d8fc3b41303858439f25a3d48fc9.jpg

This was my before, but I've come a long way since.  All works though...

IMG_20210305_1436464.jpg

IMG_20210305_1438093.jpg

IMG_20210305_1437437.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ultraman said:

This was my before, but I've come a long way since.  All works though...

IMG_20210305_1436464.jpg

IMG_20210305_1438093.jpg

IMG_20210305_1437437.jpg

I am impressed good sir. Taking on existing wiring on anything above a 26'er is akin to scaling Everest. 

At what stage of the 'rework' are you at now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shaggybaxter said:

I am impressed good sir. Taking on existing wiring on anything above a 26'er is akin to scaling Everest. 

At what stage of the 'rework' are you at now? 

The wiring looms are much cleaner now, although I don't have that nice conduit to hide the wires and I'm just using regular bus bars not those fancy connectors.

I need to move the NKE Junction box panel up from under the chart table to behind the electrical panel and further away from potential water in the boat.  When I do this, it will be their final resting place (I sourced the base NKE system used out of a J/111 that had gone B&G) and I will be able to cut a lot of the loops of extra wire out, which I have been loathe to do until finalizing my plans.

One problem is I went and got myself a bloody job and don't seem to have the time to get down to the boat with the hours it needs to take this on.  Not that we are able to go out yacht racing yet in Canada anyhow...

Now, back to some more boat porn pictures of that sexy Pogo 36!  Hope it sails better than the Pogo 30 in the light stuff.  We have one here that can't get out of its own way in 8kts or below...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 3:12 AM, svitale said:

Here are some details you don't see in most of the photos online.  If anyone wants me to take one of any part of the boat let me know.

 

 

Beautiful boat. 
And thanks for the pics, always good to see how the pro's do it for inspiration. 

Do you have any pics on the shower power installation? 
And also any clever deck solutions for the sail controls. Cheers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ultraman said:

Now, back to some more boat porn pictures of that sexy Pogo 36!  Hope it sails better than the Pogo 30 in the light stuff.  We have one here that can't get out of its own way in 8kts or below...

Sailing a Pogo in very light wind is a bit of an art. You need to convince the crew to have a nap at the front.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 3:08 AM, svitale said:

GOPR0017_00001.jpg

Lovely looking boat, you must be very pleased.

Do you have (or do you mind sharing) a close-up photo around the mast collar area? Interested to see what size blocks are spec'ed for the various systems and how they are attached. Does the outhaul come through a sheave in the gooseneck area or is it that orange line visible in the picture?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

svitale, do you have any pics of your beauty sailing?

I'm on Pogo detox ;-)

We are seriously considering to order a 36 and I contacted Pogo for current prices and options. They invited me to visit the yard. Only problem ist travelling at the moment, otherwise I'd be gone already...

Does anyone know a Pogo 36 owner in the north of Germany that I could talk to or even better meet and have a look at the real thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2021 at 7:26 PM, svitale said:

The Gaz tank are will need to be converted to propane for the states and the 8" opening is too small for a refillable tank but a call to defender delivered the parts needed to convert to the small disposable tanks.  Anyone know how to refill a Campingaz tank?

DSC_2577_00001.jpg

Congrats on the boat!

I would not refill a tank yourself. I have seen too many scary situations (and youtube videos). Just get a properly factory refilled bottle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SaltyPuppy said:

svitale, do you have any pics of your beauty sailing?

I'm on Pogo detox ;-)

We are seriously considering to order a 36 and I contacted Pogo for current prices and options. They invited me to visit the yard. Only problem ist travelling at the moment, otherwise I'd be gone already...

Does anyone know a Pogo 36 owner in the north of Germany that I could talk to or even better meet and have a look at the real thing?

You could charter one. They will probably let you have a look:

https://www.real-sailing.de/de/yachten/pogo-structures-yachten/pogo-36-sirius-b.html

(no affiliation to the company whatsoever)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...